Old November 13th 16, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default eHam.net News for Sunday 13 November 2016

eHam.net News

Amateur Radio Newsline Headlines for Ham Nation:

http://www.eham.net/articles/37988

Amateur Radio Newsline Headlines for Ham Nation: 16, 2016.

Palm Springs Veterans Show Gratitude Over Airwaves:

http://www.eham.net/articles/37985

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. -- Thank you for your service, was a common phrase
many veterans heard nationwide on Veteran's Day either on line, in person
or on T.V. But for the Palm Springs American Legion Post 519, some veterans
decided to take things old school and reach out by ham radio. "It's very
heartwarming because there are lots of vets out there and we are losing
World War II vets on a daily basis, so you talk to a few of those -- a few
guys in Korea and then a lot of guys in Vietnam, you know that were
active," said Amateur Radio Club President of the American Legion Post 519,
Glenn Morrison. Glenn Morrison and Tom Mclean run the Palm Springs American
Legion Amateur Radio club, that is licensed by the F.C.C. The club's call
letters, K6TAL, are how they introduce themselves to other posts and
operators for a quick chat. "We had a bunch of other people want to make
contact and say thank you for your service, and we appreciate your
service," Morrison said.

Loretta Smith Achieves Ham Radio Certification at Age 91:

http://www.eham.net/articles/37984

Loretta Smith, age 91, resident of Cedarview Place assisted living, has
joined the newest class of certified ham radio operators in Texas. Inspired
by Pastor George Yarger of Harbor Baptist Church in Payne Springs, Loretta
decided to pursue her ham radio license. Yarger spoke of his experience
serving communities in times of disaster with his knowledge of ham radio
communication, and Smith knew she could provide the same help in Gun Barrel
City, if she was certified. Smith worked with the activity director at
Cedarview Place to understand the process of becoming certified, and three
other residents decided to join Smith in the course. For a period of weeks,
the four studied and prepared for the certification test. "It was tough,"
Smith says. "I learned so much about electricity that if you needed new
wiring run in your home, I could do it!" Smith and her friends found the
course work to be interesting and enjoyable. On Nov. 3, Smith and resident
Yeager Markin achieved the first level of ham radio certification with
excellent scores. The other residents pursuing certification will take
their tests at a later date. There are two additional ham radio
certifications, and Smith is considering pursuing them. "I am pleased to
have the certification, because I know in a disaster, if all the power goes
out, we will be able to call for help, and let people know how we are,"
Smith says.