Old November 19th 16, 07:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2038, Friday, November 18, 2016

Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2038, Friday, November 18, 2016

Amateur Radio Newsline Report Number 2038 with a release date of
Friday, November 18, 2016 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.

**

The following is a QST. The DXing World loses a noted centenarian. A
ham club in Michigan comes up with unique and generous way to welcome
newly ticketed amateurs -- and in our top story from New Zealand, hams'
attempts to assist after a massive earthquake are being challenged by
the damage left behind. All this and more as Amateur Radio Newsline
Report #2038 comes your way right now.

***

BILLBOARD CART HERE

**

NEW ZEALAND AMATEURS CHALLENGED BY MASSIVE QUAKE

JIM/ANCHOR: We begin this week with the aftermath of the earthquake in
New Zealand that took lives, stranded thousands, destroyed roads and
buildings and left hams frustrated as to how they could help. We have
more details from Amateur Radio Newsline's Jim Meachen ZL2BHF:

JIM MEACHEN'S REPORT: Thousands of people have been left stranded on a
devastated landscape in New Zealand which was shattered by a
7.8-magnitude earthquake on Monday the 14th of November. With a state
of emergency declared in the Canterbury region, hardest hit by the
quake, emergency response has included an international array of naval
vessels. Defense Minister Gerry Brownlee told the New Zealand Herald
that offers of help were accepted from the United States, Australia,
Canada, Japan and Singapore. The fleet of rescue ships includes the
first United States warship to visit New Zealand in 33 years.

While there was no formal activation of Amateur Radio Emergency
Communications (AREC), hams in the public service arm of the New
Zealand Association of Radio Transmitters remained vigilant in
monitoring traffic on the bands as officials continued to assess the
massive damage to roads and buildings.

The quake, which caused extensive damage in Kaikoura and Culverden,
killed at least two persons.

One local ham, Ken Duffy ZL4KD, told Amateur Radio Newsline in an email
that he activated the local Christchurch repeater to listen for
emergency and damage reports shortly after the first quake struck. He
remained on the air through the series of aftershocks that occurred.
Ken wrote that the affected area included a large rural region with few
active hams, but the damage was significant.

Ken said AREC could not gain access to many of the affected areas
because of the severity of the road damage. As Amateur Radio Newsline
went to production, hams continued to monitor frequencies while they
awaited word from government agencies on their offer to step in during
the rescue effort.

Reporting for Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Jim Meachen ZL2BHF.

(CNN, NEW ZEALAND HERALD, BBC, KEN DUFFY ZL4KD)

**

PROMOTING HAM RADIO FOR THE DISABLED

JIM/ANCHOR: For disabled radio operators, this plenty of software to
help them get on the air successfully. Still, there is no better
encouragement than that of a fellow ham. Here's Amateur Radio
Newsline's Graham Kemp VK4BB with news of just such an effort.

GRAHAM: December 3rd marks the International Day of Persons with
Disabilities and the International Programme for Handicapped radio
Amateurs (IPHA), wants its member organizations to make their QSOs
count. The event's coordinator, Riri OD5RI, said he would like to see
some partnership with disabled operators. He reports that already the
Derby & District Amateur Radio Society in the UK will be operating as
G2DJ with disabled persons participating at the station. In Egypt, the
Egyptian Radio Amateurs Society ERASD will likewise be operating the
station SU0ERA. If there are other organizations planning similar
operations, please let the IPHA know about it by contacting Riri via
email at

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Graham Kemp VK4BB.

(SOUTHGATE, RIRI AZRAK OD5RI)

**

PUTTING THE 'RADIO' IN HAM RADIO

JIM/ANCHOR: What beats the thrill of getting your ham radio license?
Getting your first radio - free! Amateur Radio Newsline's Skeeter Nash
N5ASH has those details.

SKEETER: The Livingston County Amateur Radio Klub in Michigan has come
up with a unique way to generate interest in ham radio.

LES: We're offering residents of the County that are 21 years or
younger, that get their amateur radio license, it they pass the test,
we're giving them a dual-band handheld radio. And if you're over 21 and
you're in the county, if you pay for 2 years' membership to the club,
we'll also give you a radio, if you pass your test, or an upgrade.

SKEETER: That's Les Butler W8MSP, Technical Director for the Livingston
County Amateur Radio Klub, or LARK. I asked Les, who came up with
theidea?

LES: The board members of the club. We were thinking of ideas to get
more younger people involved, and more people in general. Our
membership's pretty good, and we've got pretty good participation in
our meetings; we have a few young people, but we'd like to see a
fewmore.

SKEETER: Has there been a noticeable difference since this program
started earlier in the summer?

LES: Not yet; I think it's going to now because it's getting a lot more
publicity. We did a local radio station interview here in the county.
We generally have two to five people show up for our test sessions
every month. We test the second Tuesday of every month. Walk-ins are
welcome, you don't need to make an appointment. And many months we have
five, six or seven people. Generally, it's two to five people.

SKEETER: So, if you know someone in Livingston County, Michigan, who is
interested in getting or upgrading their license-and could use a free
dual-band hand-held transceiver, go to W8LRK dot com to learn more
about the club's testing program. But hurry-this is a limited-time
offer that expires at the end of 2016. For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm
Skeeter Nash N5ASH, in Topeka, Kansas.

(LIVINGSTON COUNTY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB)

**

REMEMBERING WITH REVERENCE AND RADIO

JIM/ANCHOR: The Veterans Day and Remembrance Day experiences help
people around the world remember the brave soldiers who made the
ultimate sacrifice for their countries. One small group of amateurs in
Ontario, Canada, made the most of that commemoration with a Special
Event station at a special venue. Amateur Radio Newsline's John
Williams VK4JJW has those details.

JOHN's REPORT: In Canada, the John McCrae House, birthplace of the
noted World War I soldier, is maintained as a treasured reminder not
just of its former inhabitant but of the war that spurred him to write
the poem, "In Flanders Fields." The verse was first published in 1915,
immortalizing the poppy as a symbol of Remembrance Day, and serving as
the author's tribute following a friend's death from injuries sustained
in battle.

Members of the Guelph Amateur Radio Club in Ontario were part of that
remembrance on Thursday, November 10 when their rig sent and received
messages about fallen members of those in military service and about
John McCrae himself, whose stirring verse is still a part of so many
formal occasions in these modern times.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm John Williams, VK4JJW

(CTV NEWS, SOUTHGATE ARC, GUELPH AMATEUR RADIO CLUB)

**

MILLING ABOUT ON THE AIR

JIM/ANCHOR: In Europe, amateurs have enjoyed activing all kinds of
mills, now unused for the original purposes in the textile and grain
industries. Well, it looks like Australia's about to get into the act
too. Amateur Radio Newsline's Jason Daniels VK2LAW tells us mo

JASON: Anderson's Mill, a 19th century building in central Victoria,
has just earned the distinction of being the first mill in Australia to
join a global radio event in May which, until now, featured only mills
in Europe. The old Australian mill in Smeaton, which once processed
flour and oats, will be processing global radio contacts instead in the
annual event known as Mills on the Air. The radio activity is run by
the Denby Dale Amateur Radio Society in the UK in cooperation with the
Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.

Operators from the Central Goldfields Amateur Radio Group VK3BI plan to
be on HF, VHF, IRLP and EchoLink from the mill on May 13 to 15. The
radio club's president, Peter Rafferty VK3CC, had been working with
local residents in the effort to get Anderson's Mill included. Now that
the mill has been recognized in time for next year's event, the club is
hoping this success will inspire others to find more mills in Australia
to join them in the big event.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Jason Daniels VK2LAW.

(WIRELESS INSTITUTE OF AUSTRALIA)

**

BREAK HE

Time for you to identify your station. We are the Amateur Radio
Newsline, heard on bulletin stations around the world, including the
WA7ABU Repeater serving Willamette Valley, Oregon

**

SILENT KEY: IVAN PASTRE F3AT

ANCHOR/JIM: DXers around the world lost a noted fellow DXer who was not
just a longtime DXers but one of the world's most longtime hams. Here's
Amateur Radio Newsline's Jeremy Boot G4NJH with the story of this
Silent Key.

JEREMY: Ivan Pastre F3AT was considered one of the world's oldest radio
amateurs and, at 102, that itself was quite an accomplishment. His
achievements as a top DXer, however, were considered even more
unparalleled by those who knew and respected him. The French radio
amateur has become a Silent Key.

Ivan's name can be found at the top of the DXCC Honor Roll, with a
total of 388 entities confirmed. He also held 5-Band DXCC honors.
Licensed as F3AU in 1931, he was most active and proficient in CW
throughout his long life and he was celebrated for his varied
operations. He took the call sign F3AT some years after first getting
his license but was also known to use variations of it for his
activations in French Equatorial Africa, French Cameroon and
FrenchSudan.

Listed on the roster of the A-1 Operators Club and the First Class CW
Operators Club, Ivan was memorialized on the 12th of November.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Jeremy Boot, G4NJH

(THE DAILY DX, LES NOUVELLES DX, ARRL)

**

SILENT KEY: ARRL'S Tod Olson, K0TO

JIM/ANCHOR: The amateur radio world also lost a noted leader active in
the ARRL. Tod Olson, K0TO, is being remembered as an accomplished
contester, mentor and a positive influence by many in and out of the
headquarters of the ARRL. Tod became a Silent Key on November 12 at age
83, ending his long battle with cancer.

His work as an ARRL volunteer began in 1974 when he became Minnesota
Section Communications Manager and at the time of his death he was best
known as Director Emeritus and Honorary Vice President. He had held
numerous positions in the years in between, including Dakota Division
Director from 1994 to 1999. According to the ARRL website, he served on
every standing committee the board had and served as chairman of the
Administration Finance Committee -- twice.

His accomplishments on the air landed him in the CQ Contest Hall
ofFame.

Tod had worked as Director of Information Technology at General Mills
until his retirement in 1991. He and his wife, Jackie, had five
children.

ARRL CEO David Sumner K1ZZ, who was well acquainted with Tod, said on
the league website: QUOTE "I feel like I have lost my brother."

Plans are being made for a memorial service in Minnesota.

**

WORLD OF DX

In the world of DX, Alan, G3XAQ is operating as 5X1XA on the HF bands
using CW until the 28th of November from Kampala in Uganda. Send QSL
cards via G3SWH."

Be listening for Tom, DJ6TF and Reiner, DL7KL as 5Z4/DJ6TF and
5Z4/DL7KL, respectively, from Diani Beach until December 1st. You can
hear them on 80 to 10 meters using CW and SSB. Send QSLs to their home
callsigns.

John, W5JON is using the call sign V47JA from Calypso Bay, St. Kitts
until the 15th of December. He can be found on single sideband on 160
to 10 meters, including 60 meters. Send QSLs direct to his home
callsign.

(RADIO SOCIETY OF GREAT BRITAIN)

**

KICKER: SANTA ARCHIVES

JIM/ANCHOR: With the holiday season quickly upon us, our closing story
is about an old friend in a red suit - a very old friend. You see, this
particular Santa Claus doesn't have a sack. Instead he has.........a
Net, and it's on 80 meters. If you believe in him, you'll want to
listen very closely to this report from Kent Peterson KC0DGY.

KENT's REPORT:

PETE: We're now in our 11th year on 3916. This started when I had a
7-or 8-year-old at home. Somebody got the idea of what if we got the
kids to talk to Santa. That was the humble beginning of Santa net.

KENT: And with that, the holiday spirit once again is crackling on the
HF bands with the start of the 80-meter Santa Net every night at 7:30PM
Central time. Pete Thomson KE5GGY thinks he could have up to 400 Santa
contacts this year starting on November 25th right through and
including Christmas Eve December 24.

PETE: I would encourage anybody to think about any kids in your
neighborhood. Think about your own kids and grandkids, people you can
introduce to ham radio. That's the other thing that happens here. Not
only do we make a kid's Christmas but we're getting kids connected to
ham radio and that's pretty powerful. That is the magic of radio.
Imagine what goes on in their minds when there's static and suddenly
they are talking to Santa. We've been looking for female relays to help
us relay in the voice of Mrs Claus. We've had a little bit of luck in
the past but I'd like to see more this year.

KENT: Pete sent along this contact he made last year.

PETE: Robert are you on the frequency? ROBERT: "Yes I am. I've got my
granddaughter Morgan on my lap." PETE: Are you excited Morgan?
MORGAN: Ya. PETE: Well Morgan this is Pete and we're going to call
Santa Claus. Calling Santa claus this is KE5GGY. SANTA: "Ho Ho Ho Merry
Christmas everybody. Morgan are you on the radio? MORGAN: Hi. SANTA:
How are you doing, you're getting so big. Have you been a good girl
this year? MORGAN: Ya. SANTA: That's what it says on my good girl
list. You're at the top of my list.

KENT: So if you know someone who wants to talk to Santa, just dial up
3916 weeknights at 7:30PM central time starting November 25th. For
Amateur Radio Newsline ho ho, I'm Kent Peterson KC0DGY

**

NEWSCAST CLOSE: With thanks to Alan Labs; the ARRL; the BBC; CQ
Magazine; CNN; Daily DX; Hap Holly and the Rain Report; Irish Radio
Transmitter Society; Ken Duffy ZL4KD; Les Nouvelles DX; Livingston
County Amateur Radio; the New Zealand Herald; Ohio-Penn DX Bulletin;
the Santa Net of the 3916 Tailgaiters and Freewheelers; Southgate
Amateur Radio News; Ted Randall's QSO Radio Show; Radio Society of
Great Britain; Riri Azrak OD5RI; Wireless Institute of Australia; WTWW
Shortwave; and you our listeners, that's all from the Amateur Radio
Newsline. Please send emails to our address at
.
More information is available at Amateur Radio Newsline's only official
website located at
www.arnewsline.org.

For now, with Caryn Eve Murray, KD2GUT, at the news desk in New York,
and our news team worldwide, I'm Jim Damron N8TMW in Charleston, West
Virginia saying 73 and as always we thank you for listening.

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) is Copyright 2016. All rights reserved.