Old January 1st 17, 11:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default eHam.net News for Sunday 1 January 2017

eHam.net News

Old Technology Resurfaces as County Prepares for Disaster:

http://www.eham.net/articles/38340

HOWARD COUNTY -- When natural disasters strike it could wreak havoc on
modern communication networks, now the Howard County Volunteer Fire
Department is turning to ham radios for reliable communication in a
crisis. "Poor planning is not a solution," said Tommy Sullivan, chief for
the Howard County Volunteer Fire Department. "If you don't plan ahead and
be ready for a disaster then when that time comes it's too late." When
internet services, power and cell towers shut down, the battery powered
amateur radio and portable antenna provides a crucial link to the outside
world. "We just want to make sure that if one system fails we have multiple
systems to keep operating," Chief Sullivan said. "The community counts on
the fire department and we want to make sure we don't let them down with
communication failure." HCVFD has set up a mobile ham radio station that
will be used in various places including their vehicles. "You can bounce
the signals off communication satellites in different places and it reaches
worldwide," Chief Sullivan said.

VK6WIA -- NewsWest for 01/01/2017:

http://www.eham.net/articles/38339

The new year in Western Australia starts with
a bang that debunks the information being
spread by the remaining board of the Wireless
Institute of Australia and rips into
statements made about the validity of
training, the interest of the corporate
regulator ASIC and other financial issues
following a Christmas national broadcast with
so much spin that you might be forgiven in
seeing a cyclone revolving around the
remaining board members of the embattled
Wireless Institute of Australia.