Old February 19th 17, 05:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default QRZ Forums - Amateur Radio News for Sunday 19 February 2017

Amateur Radio News

NEW QRZ Forum: QRZ Stickers Around The World

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...-world.410362/

Last week, Fred Lloyd was interviewed on Ham Nation with Bob Heil. Fred
shared the news that QRZ is now producing "Good on QRZ" stickers. QRZ
stickers are available to anyone who sends us a business sized, self
addressed, stamped envelope here at QRZ. Your first sticker is free and if
you would like us to send additional stickers wed be happy to do so for $1
per additional sticker. The stickers are 4x6 inches and need an envelope
that is at least 4 inches tall. Otherwise, well...

NEW QRZ Forum: QRZ Stickers Around The World

Cut the Noise: Listening on Antennas for Other Bands

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...-bands.555974/

View attachment 350351

(Royalty-free image courtesy of Dreamstime.com)

Some Good Advice

I am still a young ham, and learning new ways to improve the quality of DX
signals. Last summer, I received some help from a knowledgeable ham who
taught me the trick of using off-tuned antennas to hear signals buried down
in the noise. By “off-tuned,” I mean receiving on antennas cut for a
different frequency than the band one is trying to work, or...

Cut the Noise: Listening on Antennas for Other Bands

EXTREME ham radio SHF 10ghz microwave rover

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...-rover.555338/

Activity exists above 1.2ghz . This is a mobile rover, for contesting on
bands up at 10 gigahertz.

View attachment 349120

Chameleon DIY Magnetic Loop Starter kit First Build

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...-build.555969/

Hello operators

View attachment 350341

For those interested in the DIY Magnetic Loop Starter Kit from Chameleon,
this is my first build video using that kit. The video details two
different models of a man portable magnetic loop antenna.

The first is a 40-10M single turn loop based on the Chameleon P-LOOP.
The second is a 80, 60, 40M, double turn loop with switched capacitor to
quickly convert between 80, 60, 40M and 40-10M.
You can watch the video here....

Chameleon DIY Magnetic Loop Starter kit First Build

100 Watts and a Wi Episode 85

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...ode-85.555422/

On this episode, Christian is called to the White House. Well, sort of.
Find out what changes K0STH would make if appointed to the FCC. We also
talk antennas. The warmer weather has us thinking about our antenna
systems. If you had to have just one, what would it be? Listener answers
are revealed. Plus, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Have you worked this entity? All
of this and more on this edition of 100 Watts and a Wire.

http://100wattsandawire.com/100-watt...wire/episode85

100...

100 Watts and a Wi Episode 85

The Finish Line - CW Ops & Learning Morse Code

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...e-code.555960/

So what were your expectations with CW Ops Academy?

Was your expectations that you would have an instructor with you and you
would be in a class type environment during the Skype sessions? Was it that
you would be proficient at Morse code once the class ended? That you only
needed to practice 30 -45 minutes a day? Was your expectation that you
would be able to get on the air at the end of the...

The Finish Line - CW Ops & Learning Morse Code

Two projects with AMSAT ties selected for NASA launches

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...unches.555949/

Two cubesat missions with ties to AMSAT have been selected as part of the
eighth round of the NASA CubeSat Launch Initiative. These spacecraft are
eligible for placement on a launch manifest after final negotiations,
depending on the availability of a flight opportunity.

TJREVERB is a cubesat from Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and
Technology, in Alexandria, Virginia. This satellite will include an...

Two projects with AMSAT ties selected for NASA launches

HamRadioNow: Hams & the Women's March on Washington

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...ington.555932/

View attachment 350255

The Womens March on Washington was a (pardon the expression) HUGE event
the day after President Trumps inauguration. While it was politically
charged, it was also an event that needed communications assistance to keep
participants safe. The cell phone system worked, but it was so overloaded
that even the usually reliable text messaging slowed to a crawl.

Our guests Arthur Feller W4ART and Christine Axsmith KC3CIF put together...

HamRadioNow: Hams & the Womens March on Washington