Old February 28th 17, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default [RAC-Bulletin] RAC Announces Granting of Scholarships

Every year, through the RAC Foundation, Radio Amateurs of Canada provides
grants and scholarships to worthy community programs and to young Amateurs
who are enrolled at the post-secondary level in Electrical, Electronic and
Software engineering. Students in Science, Technology, Engineering and
Mathematics (STEM) programs are also considered on a case by case basis.

Once again, we are pleased to announce the granting of three scholarships
of $500 each to three Canadian Amateurs who are studying in Electrical
Engineering programs in Canadian universities.

The first recipient is Aaron Younan, VA3AZY, who is studying at the
University of Windsor. When Aaron found out he was receiving a scholarship
he said: “Thank you so much! This means a lot to me and I appreciat
everything RAC has done for me. I hope one day to be in a position to pay
it forward.” Aaron is working on Software Defined Radios and other
wireless-based projects as part of his studies.

The second recipient is Trent Mitchell, VE9EN, who is studying at the
University of New Brunswick (UNB) in Fredericton. The UNB has a very active
Amateur Radio group under the mentorship of Dr. Brent Petersen, VE9EX and
associates. You can watch Trent make his first QSO with the International
Repeater Group in February 2016 and as a bonus you get a pretty good
description of how a repeater operates. Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v8hutBtVqQ

The third recipient is Louis Harris, VA2LDH, who is studying Electrical
Engineering at the Fondation de Polytechnique in Montreal. Louis said:
like knowing how stuff works and to build, design and repair all types of
devices. I intend to specialize in electronics or telecommunications. This
passion for electronics is what pushed me into obtaining my Amateur
certificate.”

It’s gratifying to think that a radio you may be using in the futur
e could
be designed by a Canadian Amateur who was helped by your or your club
donation to the RAC Scholarship and Grants Program today. We need Amateurs
like you who are willing to donate to the RAC Foundation to continue
supporting future Engineers and young people at the post-secondary level
who are studying in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
(STEM) fields.

RAC operates the RAC Foundation in cooperation with the Community
Foundation of Ottawa (CFO) which administers and invests the donated funds
and disburses the earnings from those invested funds to grant applicants,
based upon the advice of the RAC Board. All grant applications should be
submitted to the RAC Foundation for processing and recommendation.

In addition to the Scholarship and Grants Program RAC also has a *Youth
Education Program* (YEP). For more information visit:
http://wp.rac.ca/youth-education-program/

If you wish to donate or require further information about the *RAC
Scholarships and Grants Program*, please visit
http://wp.rac.ca/grant-information/ or contact me at .

On behalf of Aaron, Trent and Louis, thank you for your continued support
of this program.

*Bill Unger, VE3XT*
*RAC Scholarship Coordinator*

*Brian Jackson, VE6JBJ*