Old March 30th 17, 04:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default FCC Daily Digest 03/30/2017

(Moderator's Note: Only FCC Part 97 Amateur Radio related actions are shown below.)
Daily Digest

Vol. 36 No. 60 March 30, 2
017

[...]

AMENDMENT OF PART 2, 15, 80, 90, 97, AND 101 OF THE COMMISSION'S RULES REG
ARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF THE FINAL ACTS OF THE WORLD RADIOCOMMUNICATION CON
FERENCE (GENEVA, 2012)(WRC-12), OTHER ALLOCATION ISSUES, AND RELATED RULE U
PDATES. This Order adopts rules to implement certain radio frequency allo
cation decisions from the World Radiocommunication Conference (Geneva, 2012
) (WRC-12) and conforms our rules to the WRC-12 Final Acts. (Dkt No. 15-99
). Action by: the Commission. Adopted: 03/27/2017 by R&O. (FCC No. 17-33
). OET https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/at...C-17-33A1.docx
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/at...CC-17-33A1.pdf

(Moderator's Note:

Amateur or Part 97 match found in contents linked at URL:

III. DISCUSSION .................................................. .................................................. .................................... 5
A. Amateur Radio Use of the 135.7-137.8 kHz and 472-479 kHz Bands ............................................ 6
1. Secondary Amateur Service Allocation in the 472-479 kHz Band ........................................... 7
2. Deletion of Allocations from the New Amateur Bands .................................................. ........ 11
3. Service Rules for the Amateur Service in the 135.7-137.8 kHz and 472-479 kHz Bands ...... 13
B. Radio Buoys Operating in the 1900-2000 kHz Band .................................................. .................. 30

[...]

take to support non-Federal spectrum requirements:
· Allocate the 472-479 kHz band to the amateur service on a secondary basis and amend
Part 97 to provide for amateur service use of this band and of the 135.7-137.8 kHz band.
· Amend Part 80 to authorize radio buoy operations in the 1900-2000 kHz band under a ship

[...]

(AMT) operations.7
A. Amateur Radio Use of the 135.7-137.8 kHz and 472-479 kHz Bands
6. In this section, we address the allocation of the 472-479 kHz band (630 meter band) to
the amateur service on a secondary basis, the deletion of certain allocations from the 135.7-137.8 kHz and
472-479 kHz bands, and the adoption of corresponding service rules for amateur radio in these bands that
allow for co-existence with Power Line Carrier (PLC) systems that use these bands.8
1. Secondary Amateur Service Allocation in the 472-479 kHz Band
7. As proposed in the WRC-12 NPRM, we allocate the 472-479 kHz band to the amateur
service on a secondary basis and limit the maximum equivalent isotropically radiated power (EIRP)9 of
amateur stations using this band to five watts in the United States, except for that portion of Alaska that is
within 800 kilometers of the Russian Federation's borders, where the maximum EIRP is limited to

[...]

Section 2.106 of the rules by dividing the 435-495 kHz band into three bands (435-472 kHz, 472-479 kHz, 479-495
kHz) so that the secondary amateur service allocation can be directly listed in the 472-479 kHz band. We also add a
reference to international footnote 5.80A to the 472-479 kHz band, thereby limiting amateur stations using
frequencies in this band to a maximum EIRP of five watts.

[...]

8. The amateur service will share this band with PLC systems, which electric utility
companies use and operate in the 9-490 kHz range under Part 15 of our rules on an unprotected and non-

[...]

to our allocation proposal, arguing that there is insufficient understanding about the interference potential
between amateur operations and PLC systems, that opening up the band to amateur operations will
increase the probability of interference to and from PLC systems, and that the allocation would

[...]

deploy PLC systems.12
9. On the other hand, the amateur radio community supports this allocation. The Amateur
Radio Research and Development Corporation (AMRAD) claims that this allocation "will improve

[...]

reception technologies, and communication with high environmental noise."13 ARRL, the national
association for Amateur Radio (ARRL), notes that this allocation, along with that of 135.7-137.8 kHz,
will allow for amateur operations in representative bands of the radio spectrum in the United States.14
Most importantly, the amateur radio community claims that co-existence with PLC systems is possible,
citing amateur service operations on frequencies near 500 kHz under experimental licenses, which have
not resulted in any interference complaints.15
10. We agree that adding a secondary amateur service allocation to the 472-479 kHz band
will provide new opportunities for amateur operators to experiment with equipment, techniques, antennas,

[...]

(Jun. 11, 2015) (McDonald Comments), Michael Ports Comments at 1 (Jun. 15, 2015) (Ports Comments). See, e.g.,
Amateur Radio Research and Development Corporation Reply at 3 (Sep. 30, 2015), John K. Andrews Comments at
2 (Aug. 13, 2015) (Andrews Comments), ARRL Comments at 27, Donald B. Chester Reply at 2 (Sep. 30, 2015),

[...]

Reply at 1 (Sep. 29, 2015) (Mussler Reply), Ports Comments at 3, Frederick H. Raab Reply at 1 (Sep. 29, 2015).
The Commission has issued experimental licenses to amateur operators for spectrum near 500 kHz, and many of
these experimental stations are authorized to operate with radiated power levels that greatly exceed the limit of five

[...]

and propagation phenomena.16 The 472-479 kHz band offers amateur service operators different
propagation characteristics from the 135.7-137.8 kHz band, which was allocated on a secondary basis to
amateur service in the WRC-07 Report and Order (R&O).17 At the same time, we recognize the
importance of PLC systems and their impact on utility safety, security and reliability of utility
operations.18 Our allocation decision will not compromise the use or deployment of PLC systems. As
discussed in more detail below, co-existence between PLC systems and amateur radio operations in these
bands is possible, and the service rules we adopt in this Order will foster this co-existence.19 Further, our
secondary allocation to the amateur service will harmonize the United States and international allocations
for this band and provide new opportunities for amateur service experimentation, while still allowing for
operation of PLC systems.
2. Deletion of Allocations from the New Amateur Bands
11. As proposed in the WRC-12 NPRM, we remove several allocations from the 135.7-137.8

[...]

See UTC Comments at 7 (requesting the Commission elevate the status of PLC systems that currently operate on
an unlicensed basis to "be able to object to interference cause by Amateur operations"). But see infra paras. 13-29
(finding that the rules we adopt in this Order provide sufficient protection to PLC systems in both the 135.7-137.8

[...]

band. We find it unnecessary to take any specific action to protect these Federal operations because stations in the
amateur service will operate on a secondary basis and must not cause harmful interference to primary services in the
band. 47 CFR § 2.105(c)(2).

[...]

(call signs KFS and WNU) and New England Historical Radio Society, Inc. (call sign WNE).24
3. Service Rules for the Amateur Service in the 135.7-137.8 kHz and 472-479
kHz Bands
13. We adopt service rules for the amateur radio service in the 135.7-137.8 kHz (2200 meter
band) and 472-479 kHz (630 meter band) bands that will ensure the compatibility of amateur radio
operations and PLC systems that operate in these bands, and promote the shared use of these bands.
Under these rules, electric utilities will not be required to modify existing PLC systems to accommodate
amateur operations, and previously notified amateur stations will not be required to alter their operations
to accommodate new or modified PLC operations.
14. Separation Distance. As proposed, we will permit amateur stations to operate in the
135.7-137.8 kHz and 472-479 kHz bands when separated by a specified distance from electric power
transmission lines with PLC systems that use the same bands.25 To support the operations of both the
amateur service and PLC systems in these bands, we adopt a minimum horizontal separation distance of
one kilometer between the transmission line and the amateur station when operating in these bands.26
15. Regarding operations in the 135.7-137.8 kHz band, ARRL had provided a technical
analysis in ET Docket No. 12-338,27 which concluded that PLC systems "will be sufficiently protected
from amateur stations transmitting at an EIRP of 1 W with a separation distance of 1 km from the
transmission lines carrying the PLC signals, beyond which there is no interference potential."28 UTC
agrees with this conclusion and supports a separation distance of at least one kilometer for amateur
operation in this band.29

[...]

WRC-12 NPRM, 30 FCC Rcd at 4245, para. 174. ARRL argues that if utilities met this standard "there would be no
interaction between amateur stations and PLC systems even if the latter were operated on a co-channel basis."
ARRL Comments at 22. The IEEE 1613-2009 standard is not applicable to PLC systems operating in the subject

[...]

frequencies ranging from 80 MHz to 1000 MHz. The techniques used to mitigate the interference susceptibility of
PLC systems from radio signals at 80 MHz to 1000 MHz would not be applicable in the case of amateur stations'
transmissions co-channel to PLC systems.

[...]

See WRC-12 NPRM, 30 FCC Rcd at 4246, para. 177. This "horizontal distance" is the lateral distance between
the center of the amateur station antenna and a vertical projection of the overhead transmission line down to the
height of the center of the amateur station antenna. This distance will be calculated from the coordinates (i.e.
latitude and longitude) of the amateur station antenna and the coordinates of the nearest point on the transmission
line without having to know the heights of the antenna or the transmission line. Id. None of the parties supported

[...]

16. ARRL prefers that amateur stations have the option to be located closer to the
transmission lines with PLC systems and recommends a notification procedure to address any potential
interference to PLC systems.30 Several members of the amateur community would like a shorter than one
kilometer separation distance, while others agree that one kilometer is a reasonable separation distance.31
Further, ARRL acknowledges that the likelihood of an amateur station seeking to conduct experiments
within one kilometer of PLC systems is very low.32 We find that a one kilometer separation distance
reasonably ensures that PLC systems and amateur radio stations are unlikely to experience interference. In
addition, establishing a zone where amateur use is not authorized will simplify and streamline the process
for determining whether an amateur station can transmit in these bands when in proximity to transmission
lines upon which PLC systems operate.
17. We adopt the same separation distance for amateur operations in the 472-479 kHz band,
as we do for the 135.7-137.8 kHz band, since these bands share the same considerations for co-existence

[...]

its own to demonstrate that these constraints will prove problematic for PLC systems. We believe the one
kilometer separation distance is adequate to ensure the co-existence of amateur and PLC operations and,
therefore, we will apply the one kilometer separation distance to the 472-479 kHz band.
18. Fixed Location Restriction. We restrict amateur service operations to fixed locations and
prohibit mobile operations in these bands.35 This restriction will ensure that amateur stations remain at
the locations specified in their notification and comply with our separation distance requirements
discussed below. UTC and some amateur service commenters support this restriction.36 However,
several amateur commenters request that fixed locations include temporary fixed locations or that

[...]

30
See ARRL Comments at 15. ARRL notes that harmful interference from PLC systems to amateur radio reception
is unlikely when the separation distance is over 300 meters from a transmission line carrying PLCs. See ARRL

[...]

31
See, e.g., Andrews Comments at 2, Davis Comments at 2-3 (stating that many amateur operators concur that a
1 km separation distance is reasonable, but that if the Commission finds a closer separation distance is appropriate,

[...]

(Jun. 12, 2015) (stating that a separation distance greater than 500 meters "seems excessive"), Raab Comments on
Recommendations for Co-existence of Amateur and PLC Operations at 1 (Aug. 31, 2015) (proposing 300 meters),
Eric M. Tichansky Comments at 3 (Aug. 10, 2016) (suggesting that for the 630 m band, a separation distance of

[...]

fixed-portable operations be allowed.37 We will allow temporary fixed use at sites that meet our technical
rules and follow our notification requirements.38 In other words, the location of the amateur station must
not be located within one kilometer of PLC systems and its operations must be in accordance with Part 97
rules.
19. Prior Notification Requirement for Amateur Service Operations. We will require
amateur operators to notify UTC of the location of their proposed station prior to commencing operations,
to confirm that the station is not located within the one kilometer separation distance. As noted in the
WRC-12 NPRM, we are concerned whether transmission lines are easily identifiable and whether PLC
systems operate on a particular transmission line in the relevant bands.39 UTC and several of the amateur
service commenters agree that a process to coordinate or notify operations in the 135.7-137.8 kHz and
472-279 kHz bands is advisable.40 Even though several amateur service commenters claim that they can
readily identify transmission lines and compute the separation distance,41 we find that transmission lines
are not always readily identifiable.42 Further, amateur operators may not be able to determine whether
PLC systems operate in the relevant bands on the subject transmission lines. For these reasons, we adopt
a notification process to ensure that amateur stations seeking to operate in these bands are located outside
the separation distance.

[...]

UTC, which maintains a database of PLC systems43 must respond to the notification within 30 days if it
objects. If UTC raises no objection, amateur radio operators may commence operations on the band
identified in their notification. The Wireless Telecommunications Bureau will issue a public notice

[...]

such as for a simulated emergency test or the annual radio Field Day exercise). But see George Magiros Comments
at 4-5 (Aug. 31, 2015) (Magiros Comments) (arguing for no fixed location restriction because "amateur licensees
can be trusted to check whether they are suitably distant from PLC operations"), Steven Mierisch Comments at 2
(Sep. 1, 2015) (suggesting that amateur stations on these bands should be prohibited from transmitting in motion,
and that exceptions "could be made for amateur stations aboard US registered vessels, which are operating in
international waters. Maritime stations could also be allowed some specified distance from power lines or from the

[...]

40
See ARRL Comments at 15-16 ("to preclude any adverse interaction in those rare instances in which an Amateur
LF station would be located closer to a transmission line carrying PLC signals than one kilometer, the rules could

[...]

Comments by Whedbee, ARRL, Raab, Magiros and others at 2 (Sep. 30, 2015) (Davis Reply to Amateurs) ("it
would be helpful to have industry-amateur cooperation as a double-check in doubtful cases over difficult terrain");
see also UTC Comments at 8-9 ("utilities need to have prior notice before an Amateur commences operation so that
they can work together to ensure co-existence from the start").

[...]

electric distribution lines"); but see Ex Parte Statement of ARRL, ET Docket No. 15-99, at 7 (Mar. 10, 2016)
(ARRL ex parte statement) (arguing that amateur radio operators are sophisticated users of the radio spectrum and
are fully capable of making determination like which lines are transmission lines carrying PLC signals and which

[...]

21. ARRL, in a late-filed ex parte statement, argues that notification procedures that would
require amateur operators to notify UTC of their planned operations in the subject bands is "overboard",
"completely unnecessary", "unhelpful" and create "an unreasonable regulatory burden."44 We disagree
with ARRL. The notification procedures we adopt seek to strike a balance between amateur operations
used for experimental purposes and PLC operation used by electric utilities for the reliability and security

[...]

that no potential interference occurs from these two uses. A simple notification to UTC with a 30-day
waiting period does not appear to be burdensome. Amateur operations can commence as soon as that
period expires. ARRL claims that UTC should provide access to the PLC database to them or directly to

[...]

deploy a new or modified PLC system on a transmission line that is within one kilometer of a previously
coordinated amateur station,46 the electric utility must employ a frequency in the 9-490 kHz range that has
not been included in the amateur station's notification, as ARRL suggests.47 If the previously coordinated
amateur station no longer operates in the band, the electric utility may deploy a PLC system in that band.
23. Radiated and Transmitter Power. As discussed in the WRC-12 NPRM, we adopt
maximum EIRP limits and transmitter power limits for the new amateur service bands.48 Amateur
stations may operate in the 135.7-137.8 kHz band with a maximum radiated power of one watt EIRP.49
Several amateur service commenters recommend that we specify a maximum transmitter power
developed specifically for these bands,50 while others recommend that a maximum transmitter power not
be specified,51 or that we apply only the general Part 97 transmitter power limit to both bands.52 We find

[...]

maliciously to disrupt electric service and in any event run counter to Section 1016 of the U.S. Patriot Act" and
urging the Commission to decline to allow amateur access to the database or, in the alternative, allow UTC to
maintain control over the database while assisting the coordination of PLC systems with amateur operations).
46

[...]

52
See ARRL Comments at 32-33 (recommend that we apply the general Part 97 transmitter output power limit to
both bands), Andrews Comments at 3-4 (suggesting that no transmitter power limit be specified, but also stating that

[...]

that amateur stations operating in the 135.7-137.8 kHz band should be subject only to the general Part 97
limit of 1.5 kW peak envelope power (PEP).53 We find it unnecessary to limit the transmitter power

[...]

highly inefficient in converting the RF power delivered to the antenna terminals.
24. We also adopt the power limits proposed in the WRC-12 NPRM for amateur stations
operating in the 472-479 kHz band.54 For such stations, the maximum radiated power will be five watts
EIRP, except for stations located in the portion of Alaska that is within 800 kilometers of the Russian
Federation, where the EIRP will be limited to one watt. We also limit the transmitter power for amateur
radio operations in the 472-479 kHz band to 500 watts PEP; provided, however, that the resulting radiated

[...]

antennas used to transmit in these bands not exceed 60 meters in height above ground level (AGL), as
ARRL proposed.56 Several amateur commenters and UTC support this height restriction, which will
assist in a more efficient sharing between the amateur service and PLC systems.57 The adoption of this
height restriction will aid in the sharing of these amateur service bands with PLC systems by limiting the
potential for amateurs' signals to exceed the adopted EIRP limits with longer, higher gain antennas,58 and

[...]

one RF cycle at the crest of the modulation envelope taken under normal operating conditions. 47 CFR §97.3(b)(6).
To ensure that amateur operators do not exceed the maximum permitted EIRP, we note for example, that for
monopole antennas higher than 24.5 meters the transmitter output power should be reduced below 1.5 kW PEP. See
Request Amendment of Commission's Rules to Create a Low Frequency Allocation for the Amateur Radio Service,
The American Radio Relay League Incorporated Petition for Rule Making, RM-9404, at 13 (Oct. 22, 1998) (ARRL

[...]

The transmitter power limit is based on an antenna efficiency of one percent. Report ITU-R M.2200 concludes
that transmitting antenna systems of the type which might be employed in the amateur service in the 472-479 kHz
band "would be relatively inefficient (in the range of 1 to 20%)." A short vertical antenna with antenna height of

[...]

height limit of 200 feet in these bands due to obstruction marking considerations); see ARRL Comments at 32.
ARRL has stated that the "tallest vertical monopole that should be reasonably considered for an amateur station is
61 meters because above that level, the amateur station would be required to obtain prior FAA authorization; and it
would be have to comply with FAA painting and lighting requirements. Very few amateur stations incorporate
antennas of that height." See ARRL Petition for Rule Making, supra note 53, at 13.

[...]

58
For example, this height limitation removes the possibility that amateur operators could use kite or balloon wire
radiators having lengths much greater than 60 meters. This issue was raised in an earlier proceeding. See Mark
Simon Comments, RM-9404, at 1 (Jan. 29, 1999) (stating that a Dutch amateur experiment used "a kite-borne 900-
foot antenna").

[...]

26. Operating Privileges. As discussed in the WRC-12 NPRM, we make these bands
available for Amateur Extra, Advanced and General Class licensees.60 As ARRL notes and in line with
Commission policy, licensees in these three operator classes are afforded operating privileges in all
frequency bands that are allocated to the amateur service.61 Licensees with Technician and Novice Class
licenses have not demonstrated the same operational and technical qualifications and hence have more

[...]

27. Authorized Emission Types. Consistent with our proposal in the WRC-12 NPRM,64 and
with the existing rules in Section 97.305 for the frequency bands below 30 MHz, we authorize amateur
stations to transmit the following emission types throughout the new amateur bands: CW (international
Morse code telegraphy), RTTY (narrow-band direct-printing telegraphy), data, phone, and image
emissions.65 These emission types provide amateur operators with maximum flexibility,66 and we find
that additional restrictions would needlessly hinder experimentation.67

[...]

62
See Amendment of Part 97 of the Commission's Rules to Implement WRC-03 Regulations Applicable to Operator
Licenses in the Amateur Radio Service, Report and Order and Order on Reconsideration, 21 FCC Rcd 14797,
14802-803, para. 11 (2006) (noting that the current structure of amateur radio operator license classes, and the
requirements for obtaining these licenses, were developed to simplify the license structure of the Amateur Radio
Service while maintaining additional frequency privileges as an incentive for amateur radio operators to advance
their communications and technical skills).

[...]

See Chapman Comments at 1 (suggesting "that the minimum class license necessary to access these bands should
be Amateur Extra"), Rose Comments at 1 (suggesting that use should be limited to Extra Class amateur radio
operators, because few have equipment at this time to operate in these bands). But see Whedbee Comments at 8-9
(advising that that General, Advanced, and Amateur Extra Class operators have operating privileges in the new
amateur bands on a phased-in approach), UTC Reply at 3 (supporting Whedbee's phased-in approach); see also
Davis Comments at 21-23, Davis Reply to Amateurs at 4 (stating his belief that it would be consistent with
Commission policy to make the 2200 meter band available to Technician Class licensees), Magiros Comments at 6
(stating that use of the lower frequency bands should be granted to all amateur license classes).
64

[...]

28. Frequency Sharing Requirements. We amend Section 97.303 to list the
radiocommunication services that must be protected from harmful interference.68 Specifically, amateur
stations transmitting in the 135.7-137.8 kHz band must not cause harmful interference to, and must accept

[...]

services and stations authorized by other nations in the fixed, maritime mobile, and radionavigation
services. Amateur stations transmitting in the 472-479 kHz band must not cause harmful interference to,
and must accept interference from, stations authorized by the Commission in the maritime mobile service

[...]

29. Other Issues. We decline to prohibit automatically controlled stations from operating in
these bands, even though several amateur commenters support the prohibition of automatic control in the
new amateur bands.69 We find that the technical rules and notification requirements that we are adopting
obviate the need to prohibit automatically controlled stations from operating in the new amateur bands
because they address any concerns over co-existence of these two uses. Further, as proposed in the

[...]

licensed experimental stations * some of which have been authorized with significantly more radiated
power than the adopted EIRP limits for these new amateur service bands * to communicate with amateur
stations operating in these bands. Amateur operations in these bands currently authorized under
experimental licenses should transition their operations in accordance with the adopted rules and not

[...]

(requesting that we not allow automatic operations within the 2200 meter and 630 meter band allocations to provide
the most efficient use of the spectrum by the amateur community).
70
See Hamel Comments at 4 (requesting a limited-duration permission for experimental stations to communicate
with amateur stations). See also 47 CFR § 5.125 ("Generally, stations in the Experimental Radio Service may
communicate only with other stations licensed in the Experimental Radio Service").

[...]

32. We recognize ARRL's concerns that radio buoy manufacturers will not be able to ensure
where fishing vessels will be using radio buoys. However, we believe that amateur radio and radio buoys
can continue to share this frequency band as they have done for many years. Specifically, because radio
buoys are low-power and narrow-bandwidth77 devices, while amateur stations tend to use much higher
power, we believe that they can continue to be accommodated with minimal impact on amateur radio
operations. Any intermittent interference amateur operators may receive in the 1900-2000 kHz band from
lower-powered radio buoys is not expected to significantly hamper amateur operations in the band
because amateur operators can readily tune around these narrow radio buoy signals and because the
adjacent 1800-1900 kHz band is allocated exclusively for amateur radio use.78 Although we had
requested comment on rules that would have effectively permitted radio buoys to operate on any waters

[...]

ARRL fails to understand that the statement inserted in NG92 only clarifies that co-primary allocations in
the 1900-2000 kHz band (i.e., the amateur, radiolocation, and maritime mobile services) share the same
type of interference protection * one that protects only from a violation of the technical rules. In sum,

[...]

McDaniel Comments at 2 (May 5, 2015) (McDaniel Comments), and Michael L. Peak Reply at 1 (Sep. 30, 2015)
(Peak Reply). In addition, we note that these and other parties from the amateur radio community commented on
the radio buoy allocation issues, and none support the continued operation of radio buoys in the 1900-2000 kHz

[...]

78
See infra para. 34. Radio buoys are limited to 8 watts of output power, while amateur stations may transmit with a
transmitter power of up to 1500 watts of peak envelope power. 47 CFR § 97.313(b). Based on these characteristics,

[...]

radio buoys and amateur stations have co-equal status and therefore have the same level of interference
protection from each other.

[...]

buoy use by the U.S. commercial fishing fleet, including allocating additional spectrum.82 Several
amateur radio commenters request that new radio buoys be transitioned to another nearby frequency
band.83 However, we do not agree that additional spectrum is necessary for radio buoy operations

[...]

does not appear to be significant enough to require a different allocation.84 In addition, as stated above,
the 1800-1900 kHz band is already allocated for exclusive amateur use, and the record does not indicate
that this exclusive allocation is insufficient and that the public interest would be served by creating an
additional exclusive allocation for amateur use at 1900-2000 kHz. Therefore, it appears unnecessary for
us to make additional spectrum available for exclusive amateur use at this time by relocating low-power
radio buoys out of the 1900-2000 kHz band.

[...]

equipment authorization has been sought with an output power over 8 watts.88 Therefore, to address some
of the amateur community's concerns over potential interference from these radio buoys we will limit
radio buoys transmitter output power to 8 watts.

[...]

information collection requirements. In this document, we have assessed the potential effects of the prior
notification requirement for amateur service operations in the 135.7-137.8 kHz and 472-479 kHz bands,
and find that there will in the great majority of instances be a de minimis paperwork burden for amateur
service licensees resulting from the collection of information by the Utilities Telecom Council. Finally,
we note that, because "small entities," as defined in the Regulatory Flexibility Act of 1980, as amended,
are not persons eligible for licensing in the amateur service, this rule does not apply to "small entities."
Therefore, the requirement in the Small Business Paperwork Relief Act of 2002, Public Law 107-198,

[...]

Andrews, John K. (Andrews)
ARRL, the national association for Amateur Radio (ARRL)
Boeing Company, The (Boeing)

[...]

ARRL
Amateur Radio Research and Development Corporation (AMRAD)
Bethman, Robert (Bethman)

[...]

135.7-137.8 135.7-137.8 135.7-137.8 135.7-137.8 135.7-137.8
FIXED FIXED FIXED FIXED Amateur 5.67A Amateur Radio (97)
MARITIME MOBILE MARITIME MOBILE MARITIME MOBILE MARITIME MOBILE
Amateur 5.67A Amateur 5.67A RADIONAVIGATION
Amateur 5.67A
5.64 5.67 5.67B 5.64 5.64 5.67B 5.64 US2 US2 Page 2

[...]

472-479 472-479 472-479
MARITIME MOBILE 5.79 Amateur 5.80A Amateur Radio (97)
Amateur 5.80A
Aeronautical radionavigation 5.77 5.80

[...]

1800-1810 1800-1850 1800-2000 1800-2000 1800-2000
RADIOLOCATION AMATEUR AMATEUR AMATEUR Maritime (80)
FIXED Amateur Radio (97)
5.93 MOBILE except aeronautical
1810-1850 mobile
AMATEUR RADIONAVIGATION
Radiolocation

[...]

1850-2000 1850-2000
FIXED AMATEUR
MOBILE except aeronautical mobile FIXED

[...]

3.5-3.8 3.5-3.75 3.5-3.9 3.5-4 3.5-4
AMATEUR AMATEUR AMATEUR AMATEUR Amateur Radio (97)
FIXED FIXED

[...]

5.92 3.75-4
AMATEUR
3.8-3.9

[...]

MOBILE except aeronautical mobile Mobile except aeronautical mobile Private Land Mobile (90)
US23 US340 Amateur Radio (97)
5.45-5.48 5.45-5.48 5.45-5.48 5.45-5.68

[...]

14-14.25 14-14.35 14-14.25
AMATEUR AMATEUR Amateur Radio (97)
AMATEUR-SATELLITE AMATEUR-SATELLITE

[...]

14.25-14.35 14.25-14.35
AMATEUR AMATEUR

[...]

18.068-18.168 18.068-18.168 18.068-18.168
AMATEUR AMATEUR Amateur Radio (97)
AMATEUR-SATELLITE AMATEUR-SATELLITE
5.154 US340 US340

[...]

24.89-24.99 24.89-24.99 24.89-24.99
AMATEUR AMATEUR Amateur Radio (97)
AMATEUR-SATELLITE AMATEUR-SATELLITE
US340 US340

[...]

28-29.7 28-29.7 28-29.7
AMATEUR AMATEUR Amateur Radio (97)
AMATEUR-SATELLITE AMATEUR-SATELLITE
US340 US340

[...]

50-54 50-73 50-54
AMATEUR AMATEUR Amateur Radio (97)
5.162A 5.163 5.164 5.165

[...]

24-24.05 24-24.05 24-24.05
AMATEUR AMATEUR ISM Equipment (18)
AMATEUR-SATELLITE AMATEUR-SATELLITE Amateur Radio (97)
5.150 5.150 US211 5.150 US211
24.05-24.25 24.05-24.25 24.05-24.25
RADIOLOCATION RADIOLOCATION G59 Amateur RF Devices (15)
Amateur Earth exploration-satellite (active) Earth exploration-satellite (active) ISM Equipment (18)
Earth exploration-satellite (active) Radiolocation Private Land Mobile (90)
Amateur Radio (97)
5.150 5.150 5.150

[...]

RADIO ASTRONOMY RADIO ASTRONOMY RADIO ASTRONOMY ISM Equipment (18)
RADIOLOCATION RADIOLOCATION RADIOLOCATION Amateur Radio (97)
Amateur Amateur
Amateur-satellite Amateur-satellite

[...]

248-250 248-250 248-250
AMATEUR Radio astronomy AMATEUR Amateur Radio (97)
AMATEUR-SATELLITE AMATEUR-SATELLITE
Radio astronomy Radio astronomy

[...]

275-3000 (Not allocated) 275-3000 (Not allocated)
Amateur Radio (97)
5.565 US565

[...]

radiolocation service in Region 3. The use of these allocations is restricted to radio buoy operations on
the open sea and the Great Lakes. Stations in the amateur, maritime mobile, and radiolocation services in
Region 2 shall be protected from harmful interference only to the extent that the offending station does

[...]

carrier (PLC) system in the 135.7-137.8 kHz and/or 472-479 kHz bands if a previously coordinated
amateur station pursuant to Section 97.301(g)(2) of this Chapter is located within one kilometer of the
transmission lines conducting the PLC signal.

[...]

PART 97 * AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE

21. The authority citation for part 97 continues to read as follows:
AUTHORITY: 48 Stat. 1066, 1082, as amended; 47 U.S.C. 154, 303. Interpret or apply 48 Stat.

[...]

(g) In the 2200 m and 630 m bands:
(1) Amateur stations in the 135.7-137.8 kHz (2200 m) and 472-479 kHz (630 m) bands shall only
operate at fixed locations. Amateur stations shall not operate within a horizontal distance of one
kilometer from a transmission line that conducts a power line carrier (PLC) signal in the 135.7-137.8 kHz

[...]

(2) Prior to commencement of operations in the 135.7-137.8 kHz (2200 m) and/or 472-479 kHz
(630 m) bands, amateur operators shall notify the Utilities Telecom Council (UTC) of their intent to
operate by submitting their call signs, intended band or bands of operation, and the coordinates of their
antenna's fixed location. Amateur stations will be permitted to commence operations after the 30-day
period unless UTC notifies the station that its fixed location is located within one kilometer of PLC

[...]

(3) Amateur stations in the 135.7-137.8 kHz (2200 m) band shall not cause harmful interference to,
and shall accept interference from: (i) stations authorized by the United States Government in the fixed

[...]

radionavigation service.
(4) Amateur stations in the 472-479 kHz (630 m) band shall not cause harmful interference to, and
shall accept interference from: (i) stations authorized by the FCC in the maritime mobile service;
(ii) stations authorized by other nations in the maritime mobile and aeronautical radionavigation services.
(5) Amateur stations causing harmful interference shall take all necessary measures to eliminate such
interference * including temporary or permanent termination of transmissions.

)

[...]