Old September 30th 17, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2083 for Friday, September 29 2017

Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2083 for Friday, September 29 2017

Amateur Radio Newsline Report Number 2083 with a release date of
Friday, September 29 2017 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.

The following is a QST. Hams help Florida with storm recovery. In
California, a ham's killer is sentenced to prison -- and Spain
celebrates the success of young-but-growing regional hamfest. All this
and more as Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2083 comes your way rightnow.

(Billboard Cart Here and Intro)

**
AMATEURS HELP FLORIDIANS PICK UP THE PIECES

DON/ANCHOR: We begin this week's report with a story of post-storm
recovery efforts. As Floridians rebuild after the most recent
hurricane, hams are there. Kent Peterson KC0DGY spoke with one Red
Cross volunteer who also happens to be an amateur involved with a busy
ARES team.

KENT'S REPORT:

MORRIS: I was working Hurricane Harvey in Baton Rouge repairing mobile
radios when we were sent back to Florida to prepare for Irma and then
joined my ARES team, we opened 4 evacuation shelters and ran
radios24/7.

KENT: In addition to being involved with ARES, Dave Morris N4DWM is
also a Red Cross volunteer.

MORRIS: I hopped in my Red Cross vehicle and came down to the Keys I
was one of the first Red Cross people as well as one of the first hams
to come down to the Keys. At that point in time no one was allowed into
the Keys unless you were in an emergency vehicle. When I arrived down
here, I worked on generator power setting up a satellite system. The
preferred technology for the Red Cross is satellite communications
however I did put up my Buddipole pole and my own ham radio on 40
meters I did check in with the HF hurricane net. We started up in some
pretty rugged conditions as days went by the power company got it
restored and I was redeployed with the satellite system to Sugar Loaf
Key which was ground zero, very rugged conditions, the National Guard
was there with us. At that point no residents were allowed in that far
down. After several days the power came back and they started to get
some infrastructure and they started to let some of the residents in.
One thing I noticed was cell phones will not stay up during this kind
of weather event and you have to find other means to communicate.

KENT: Morris emphasized the value amateur radio operators bring to the
Red Cross.

MORRIS: The Red Cross really values the use of amateurs in their
communications systems, now obviously hams don't get to play with
satellite communication much, where in the Red Cross they use it
extensively. But in the emergency shelters it was all 2 meters. We
did have HF radio but it wasn't necessary.

KENT: Morris says there are important lessons learned.

MORRIS: Number one, the Red Cross needs the skills that amateurs have
to make their relief operations work well. And everything you do on
Field Day you do in this scenario. I know everyone practices every
field day once a year we all do what we know how to do, believe me when
you end up in this situation you use those skills.

KENT: And he says the Keys are starting the rebuild.

MORRIS: As the Keys recover while there is a lot of devastation here,
this is a resilient group of people and it looks to me like they're
starting to get back on their feet.

For Amateur Radio Neweline, I'm Kent Peterson KC0DGY

**
PRISON FOR CALIFORNIA HAM'S KILLER

DON/ANCHOR: There's justice at last for the killer of David Caouette
(CO-ETT) N6DAC. It arrived at his sentencing in an Orange County,
California courtroom on September 22. Joe Moell (MELL) K-zero-O-V has
the story.

JOE'S REPORT:

"You emerged as the face of evil in this community." Those were the
words of Superior Court Judge Thomas Goethals as he imposed a 232-year
prison sentence on Scott Dekraai. It was back in October 2011 when
Dekraai, heavily armed and wearing a bulletproof vest, walked into a
Seal Beach hair salon and shot his ex-wife. He kept firing at everyone
else in sight and then made his escape. In the parking lot, he spotted
David Caouette N6DAC sitting in his truck. N6DAC was a former star
high-school athlete who loved offroading in his Land Rover. Thinking
he was an undercover officer, Dekraai shot the 64-year-old ham, making
him the eighth fatal victim of his rampage. Dekraai soon surrendered,
but his case dragged on as evidence mounted showing widespread misuse
of jailhouse informants by the District Attorney and Sheriff's offices.
That led the judge to rule out capital punishment, even though Dekraai
had pleaded guilty. However, Friday's verdict gave him no chance of
parole. In closing the case, Judge Goethals said that there were no
winners in this case, only losers. The only win, he said, is by the
rule of law. From Orange County, California, this is Joe Moell K0OV
for Amateur Radio Newsline.

**

ARISS PROGRAM SEEKS APPLICANTS FOR CONTACTS

DON/ANCHOR: Hams on the International Space Station want students to
look to the sky - and then start talking. Here's Neil Rapp WB9VPG with
the details.

NEIL'S REPORT: So what exactly do you say to an astronaut? Well, if you
could have been on the air with Space Station astronaut Joe Acaba
KE5DAR recently, you might have asked about his concerns for his home
in Houston as well as his family's homeland in Puerto Rico, both
impacted by recent hurricanes. Schools, museums, youth groups and
science centers will get a chance to ask these kinds of questions - and
other kinds of questions - next year as the Amateur Radio on the
International Space Station program once again solicits for proposals
for groups to talk to the orbiting crew members between July 1 and
December 31 of next year. The program connects students around the
world with the men and women in space but these radio contacts require
planning. The ARISS program looks for participants who can build a
well-thought-out lesson plan around the actual contact itself, which
occurs over amateur radio. That means students are exposed to radio
science, satellite communications, wireless technology and other STEM
topics. Deadline for proposals in November 15th. For proposal
guidelines and other information, the web address is arrl.org/ariss.

As any educator will tell you, there's a lot that can be said in those
important and unforgettable 10 minutes.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Neil Rapp WB9VPG.

(ARISS)

**
SPAIN'S IBERRADIO HAMFEST A HIT

DON/ANCHOR: Spain's IberRadio hamfest is just three years old but it's
maturing, as we hear from Jeremy Boot G4NJH. JEREMY: It appears that
IberRadio, south Europe's largest hamfest, is gaining some traction.
Its third annual gathering was held in Avila Spain on the 16th and 17th
of September and the hamfest organizers say they had record attendance,
drawing from an even wider international participation. The two days of
vendor displays and seminars was designed to appeal directly to CBers,
amateur radio operators and electronics enthusiasts, helping to make
what the Iber Radio website said is one of the most important ham radio
events in Europe. The hamfest also offered license testing by VEs from
the ARRL allowing many to upgrade their FCC licenses. Other attendees
seized the moment to have their QSL cards checked for DXCC, WAC and
other awards.

Already the planning has begun for Iber Radio 2018.

For Amateur Radio Newsline I'm Jeremy Boot G4NJH

(SOUTHGATE AMATEUR RADIO NEWS)

**

PENN STATE PROFESSOR WINS SARNOFF HONOR

DON/ANCHOR: One Pennsylvania professor isn't just tops in electrical
engineering, he's a Sarnoff Citation winner. Jim Damron N8TMW has that
report.

JIM's REPORT: Antenna designer James Breakall WA3FET, a Pennsylvania
State professor of electrical engineering, is in good company: He has
joined the late Senator Barry Goldwater K7UGA and Qualcomm founding
chairman and CEO emeritus Irwin Mark Jacobs in receiving the Sarnoff
Citation from the Radio Club of America.

Licensed since the age of 12, he credits ham radio with igniting his
later interest in an electrical engineering career. His specialty soon
became antennas. Breakall holds a patent for the three-dimensional
frequency-independent phased array design antenna which he developed
for its intended use at the High Frequency Auroral Research Program in
Alaska. His antenna research also took him to Puerto Rico's Arecibo
Observatory, home of the largest dish antenna in the world. He is also
credited with the creation of the optimized wideband antenna for
amateur radio.

On campus, he is known for getting first-year engineering students
involved in fox-hunting exercises with hand-held radios, as a way of
opening the door for them to ham radio.

James Breakall will receive the award in November at the RCA's annual
awards banquet in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

For Amateur Radio Newsline I'm Jim Damron N8TMW.

(PENN STATE UNIVERSITY WEBSITE, RADIO CLUB OF AMERICA)

**
BREAK HE

Time for you to identify your station. We are the Amateur Radio
Newsline, heard on bulletin stations around the world including the
WB0QXW repeater in St. Louis, Missouri on Monday nights following the
World Friendship Net on Echolink.

**

FORMER MIT PRESIDENT BECOMES SILENT KEY

DON/ANCHOR: A noted Massachusetts Institute of Technology educator and
former ham has become a Silent Key. Kevin Trotman N5PRE tells us about
his life.

KEVIN: The former president of MIT and a former longtime ham radio
operator, Paul Gray of Concord, Massachusetts, has become a Silent Key.
An electrical engineering professor emeritus, Paul became a ham radio
operator as a New Jersey teen in the 1940s at the end of World War II.
He was especially proud of having built all his own equipment and his
lifelong fascination with gadgets and all things electrical served him
well in his later career. He was first licensed in New Jersey as W2UWN
and later became K1ZVT but his license lapsed in 1970.

An electrical engineering graduate of the school, he became MIT's 14th
president, serving between 1980 and 1990. The school plans a memorial
service for November 30th.

Paul Gray died September 18th after a long battle with Alzheimer's
disease. He was 85.

For Amateur Radio Newsline in Aiken, South Carolina, I'm Kevin
TrotmanN5PRE.

**
100 WATTS AND A WIRE SCHEDULES 2nd 'FALLOUT' ACTIVITY

DON/ANCHOR: It's time to Fall Out. It's not a contest and not a Special
Event Station. It's an annual activity of radio fellowship, as we hear
from Caryn Eve Murray KD2GUT.

CARYN'S REPORT: What's the best thing in autumn besides the turning of
the leaves? How about the turning of the dials on your rig up and down
the HF bands? The 100 Watts and a Wire amateur radio community is
marking the autumnal equinox with its second annual FALL OUT activity
on the 6th and 7th of October.

If you have a 100 Watts and a Wire ID, you're encouraged to go portable
and get out among all those falling leaves to work other members -- or
find a summit, a park or a beach. Exchange signal reports, exchange
your 100WattsIDs, exchange ideas - and spot yourself on the group's
Facebook page.

If you can't go portable, stay home. Just get on the air - anytime
during those days and in any mode. If you don't have a 100Watts ID, get
one at the website 100wattsandawire dot com.

It's not a contest but if you post your total contacts on their
Facebook page you'll automatically be put in a random drawing for some
prizes - prizes you'll be able to use in your shack no matter what the
season.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Caryn Eve Murray KD2GUT.

**

IN NEW ZEALAND, FRIENDLY COMPETITION

DON/ANCHOR: In New Zealand, hams are getting ready for two weekends of
Pacific Islands DXing, as Jim Meachen ZL2BHF tells us.

JIM'S REPORT: Hams in New Zealand consider the Oceania DX Contest one
of the easiest and most friendly competitions around. It's also one of
the longest-running ham radio contests. In fact, this event seems to
deliver everything but the on-air contact itself. The competition heats
up during the first two weekends in October, over two 24-hour periods,
and all that's needed is 50 QSOs to qualify for a certificate. The
weekend of October 7th and 8th will be reserved for phone; CW operators
will get their chance on October 14th and 15th.

It's a tradition of Pacific Island contesting that dates back to the
1930s and organizers are encouraging New Zealand hams in particular to
make this their first contest if they have yet to jump into the fray.

There are new island activations in the contest this year - both VK9XI
and VK9CI will be on Christmas Island and Cocos Keeling Island
respectively. There will also be a memorial plaque awarded for the
first time this year in honor of Australian amateur Ken Jewell VK3AKK
who became a Silent Key in May.

According to the website, organizers in New Zealand and Australia have
counted just fewer than 1,200 logs from last year's event - an increase
of 70 percent over the previous year - so hope is high for this year's
participation.

For Amateur Radio Newsline I'm Jim Meachen ZL2BHF.

(OCEANIA DX CONTEST)

**
WORLD OF DX

In other DX, be listening for Rich, N0HJZ, who will be active from
October 23rd to November 1st as C6ARW from Grand Bahama Island. You can
expect to hear Rich on 30/17/12 meters using CW and SSB. He will be
operating low power with wires and verticals. His plans are to be in
the CQWW DX SSB Contest October 28th and 29th as a
Single-Op/All-Band/Low-Power entry. QSL via his home callsign, direct
with sufficient postage or by the Bureau.

Harald DF2WO is on the air from Burkina Faso through the 30th of
October operating as XT2AW. Be listening on CW, SSB and digital. His
QSL Manager is M0OXO.

Listen for Stan LZ1GC who is on a DXPedition in the Pacific, operating
as H40GC from Nendo Island from the 30th of September to the 20th of
October. He is in the Temotu Province of the Solomon Islands which
counts as a separate entity for the DXCC Award. The IOTA reference
number is OC-100. QSL via Club Log OQRS.

Victoria Island in the Barents Sea is being activated by a team of
Russian operators with the call sign RI1F. No definite dates were made
available by production time but they are expected to be on the air
from October 1st through 7th. Send QSLs via Club Log OQRS. For the DXCC
Award the contact counts as Franz Josef Land but for the IOTA Award use
the reference number EU-190.

(OHIO PENN DX BULLETIN)

**

KICKER: WHEN HAMS MAKE CONNECTIONS FROM THE HEART

DON/ANCHOR: Finally, it's been a turbulent season of storms in some
parts of the world and you've heard our reports about natural disasters
and ravaged communities. You've also heard how ham radio has
consistently met those challenges. We offer you now a bit of
reflection: One of the many, MANY amateurs to step in with
communications assistance this season was Stan Harts KK4WCW, a member
of North Carolina's Hampstead Hams club. Stan joined the vast team of
hams around his state connecting Puerto Rico's storm victims with
worried relatives here in the U.S. Overcome with emotion after
completing a successful contact on Sept. 23, Stan decided to share his
feelings on social media - and now, we've asked him to share that with
you. Here's Stan:

STAN'S READING: For the past 5 years I have been into amateur radio.
People sort of look at me like I am I crazy and ask me why I don't just
use a cell phone. Puerto Rico is devastated by Hurricane Maria and
there is no cellular phone system in operation. The Salvation Army is
running what is known as a welfare net, where persons in Puerto Rico
can get a brief message from a family locally (on paper) and relay it
to an amateur radio operator on the U.S. mainland. Depending on a
variety of conditions, some people hear certain signals better than
others. Today I took a message from the net for a family with a 910
area code. I called to tell the person here that the family and their
home was OK. Other than a slight language barrier and the bit of
confusion as to how I got the message, the man started to cry with joy.
About 15 minutes later, his wife called me back and asked for better
details of how I got the message. It seems her husband forgets some of
his English when he is crying. Well we were all crying. So for those
who ask what my hobby is all about, this is it!!! The Iphone X won't
reach Puerto Rico right now but a 1990 amateur radio on a 12V battery
and a 100 foot wire strung between two trees in the back yard will.

DON/ANCHOR: Thank you Stan and thanks to every amateur who joined in
these efforts everywhere. Stan's words speak for every radio operator
doing this priceless work: Ham radio is all about connections -- and in
these trying circumstances those connections also happen to be
lifelines.

**

NEWSCAST CLOSE: With thanks to Alan Labs; Amateur News Weekly; the
ARRL; the Associated Press; CQ Magazine; The FCC; Hap Holly and the
Rain Report; Irish Radio Transmitters Society; Oceania DX Contest; Penn
State University; Radio Club of America; Southgate Amateur Radio News;
Ted Randall's QSO Radio Show; WTWW Shortwave; and you our listeners,
that's all from the Amateur Radio Newsline. Please send emails to our
address at . More information is available at
Amateur Radio Newsline's only official website located at
www.arnewsline.org.

For now, with Caryn Eve Murray, KD2GUT, at the news desk in New York,
and our news team worldwide, I'm Don Wilbanks AE5DW saying 73 and as
always we thank you for listening.

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) is Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.