Old January 14th 18, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default eHam.net News for Sunday 14 January 2018

eHam.net News

Pacific Island Villagers Get Electricity and Water Storage:

http://www.eham.net/articles/40689

A radio amateur from Far North Queensland has achieved a lot for a remote
village while on holidays in the Solomon Islands. Shane Lynd VK4KHZ visits
the village of Busuone once a year, and has been helping to build a guest
house/holiday home and teaching a couple of the locals about amateur radio.
Shane VK4KHZ was there for five weeks and taught a couple of the local
teenagers who want to become H44 amateur radio operators some basic amateur
radio techniques and operating. During openings on 6 metres there was also
a keen bunch of local on-lookers with many asking questions such as where
is that person? One local in particular, Gibson Laeni, after several days
of observing, was confident enough to grab the H44DA microphone and call CQ
under supervision. With some further assistance, Gibson could become the
first Busuone ham in the future.

A Cartoonist's Adventures in Radio:

http://www.eham.net/articles/40688

What in the world is "radio illustration," you ask? Who can listen to
images like illustrations and cartoons? Well, it's not quite that simple.
The best explanation is looking at it from the perspective of the
cartoonist! I began drawing cartoons and funny illustrations when I was a
little kid. It was an obsession that has carried on into my adulthood.
Radio World asked me to share some of my work and the story behind it. In
the early 1970s, when the CB radio craze was rising in popularity, I placed
a small classified ad in a trade publication. S-9 Magazine was devoted to
citizen band radio enthusiasts across the United States and Canada. With
knowledge in the area of CB and an interest in cartooning, I decided to
offer to create "custom QSL cards." (As many Radio World readers will know,
a QSL is a radio enthusiast's calling card of sorts. They're a
postcard-sized with the user's call letters, their preferred channel they
hang out at and of course, their "handle." Even radio broadcasters
sometimes have them!)

Amateurlogic Episode 113 is Released:

http://www.eham.net/articles/40687

Peter experiments with infrared remote control. Tommy fiddles with
Tinkercad. Emile becomes an amateur weather scientist. George tests a
variety of components with an ohmmeter.