Old June 1st 18, 10:06 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Friday 1 June 2018

RadioInsight

Washington Post: Radio play is crucial in country music. So without a
record label, Thompson Square is getting creative

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f515b44965b0

The post Washington Post: Radio play is crucial in country music. So
without a record label, Thompson Square is getting creative appeared first
on RadioInsight.

Corey Calhoun Joins WMZQ As Music Director/Night Host

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...or-night-host/

Former 97.5 WAMZ Louisville APD/Morning Host Corey Calhoun will join
iHeartMedia sister station 98.7 WMZQ Washington DC as Music Director and
Night Host.

Calhoun exited WAMZ in April. He has also programmed in Brunswick GA and
Lexington KY and worked on-air in Ithaca NY during his career.

He fills the opening that has been vacant since JT Bosch moved to WKKT
Charlotte as APD/Afternoon Host in July 2017.

iHeartMedia announced today that Corey Calhoun has been named the new night
on-air personality and Music Director for 98.7 WMZQ, Today’s Best Country,
effective Monday, June 4th, 2018. Calhoun will broadcast weeknights from 7
p.m. – 12 a.m. He will report to Jeff Kapugi, Regional Vice President of
Programming for iHeartMedia D.C. – Baltimore.

Calhoun will keep his listeners entertained throughout the night while
playing the latest hits from artists such as Jason Aldean, Zac Brown Band,
Carrie Underwood, Tim McGraw and more.

“What an amazing opportunity it is to be able to work in the Nation’s
Capital alongside Jeff Kapugi and Ty Bailey,” Calhoun says. “The WMZQ team
is extremely talented and I can’t wait to do big things with them!”

“Corey completes the WMZQ team,” says Kapugi. “He brings a fresh new
energy to the station and some great experience spanning multiple markets
and formats.”

Calhoun joins the D.C. Market from WAMZ in Louisville, Ky. where he most
recently served as the morning show host for the past two years. Prior to
that, Calhoun was the afternoon host and Assistant Program Director for
WAMZ before moving to mornings. He has also served as Program Director and
afternoon host for WQGA, midday host for WYNR where he got his first taste
in Country Music, and later went to Lexington, Ky. to be Program Director
and afternoon host for WLTO. Calhoun began his career as an intern at WWWQ
in Atlanta for the Adam Bomb Night Show, and was later hired as a full-time
night jock for WFIZ. Calhoun graduated from Kennesaw State University with
a Bachelor’s Degree in Media Studies.

The post Corey Calhoun Joins WMZQ As Music Director/Night Host appeared
first on RadioInsight.

Megan Holiday Returns To KITS

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...turns-to-kits/

Entercom Alternative Alt 105.3 KITS San Francisco has announced that Megan
Holiday will return to the station as midday host.

Holiday, who has hosted nights at sister 106.7 KROQ Los Angeles since March
2016, started her career at KITS with time as night and midday host and
morning co-host between 2010 and 2013 during its time as Live 105.

Entercom, the #1 creator of live, original, local audio content in the
United States, announced the return of Megan Holiday to KITS-FM. Holiday
will be the midday host of the Bay Area’s Alternative ALT 105.3, effective
June 4. She was most recently the evening host of Entercom’s KROQ in Los
Angeles.

“Megan is well known in The Bay Area and we know our listeners will be
happy to hear her back on the air,” said Gregory Nemitz, Senior Vice
President and Market Manager, Entercom San Francisco. “She’s passionate and
energetic and we’re looking forward to her return to KITS.”

“?I am beyond thrilled to be back on air in the Bay,” added Megan. “I am so
lucky to work with such an incredibly talented group of people and I am so
excited about the fresh sound of ALT 105.3. But most importantly GO
WARRIORS!”

Megan started her career at KITS in 2010 at night and hosted various day
parts throughout her time at the station.

The post Megan Holiday Returns To KITS appeared first on RadioInsight.

Nielsen Responds To SBS Allegations Of Prejudice Against Hispanics

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...nst-hispanics/

Earlier this month, Nielsen announced it would reissue its PPM ratings from
October 2017 to March 2018 for the Los Angeles market after a review found
four homes did not meet its compliance and data integrity standards.

In the revised numbers, SBS Regional Mexican La Raza 97.9 KLAX was the
biggest victim of the removal of those four households as it dropped from a
3.4 share in the original release to a 2.4 share 6+. The only other station
to take a hit was Grupo Radio Centros Regional Mexican Radio Centro 93.9
KXOS-FM, which took a smaller 2.2 to 1.9 drop.

In a statement attributed to Spanish Broadcasting Systems General Counsel
Richard Lara, the company accuses Nielsen of its intention to make
sweeping, retroactive changes to its audience measurement service based on
an internal decision to remove a number of Hispanic households from its
ratings sampling pool.

“Earlier this week, Spanish Broadcasting System, the owner and operator of
17 radio stations serving the top Hispanic markets throughout the United
States for over 30 years, received disconcerting news from The Nielsen
Company. Nielsen announced its intention to make sweeping, retroactive
changes to its audience measurement service based on an internal decision
to remove a number of Hispanic households from its ratings sampling pool.
SBS, and other Spanish-language broadcasters, vehemently object and protest
such unilateral, and seemingly, discriminatory actions taken by Nielsen,
which unfairly and disproportionally exclude Hispanic-listener households
from the ratings methodology. The restated ratings and rankings reports
are, in SBS’s view unreliable, and inaccurately suggest that
Spanish-language stations have dropped from top 5 rankings to number 15 or
lower. This cannot stand. SBS will continue to faithfully serve its
Hispanic-listener communities and will not tolerate unfair and
discriminatory attacks on Spanish language broadcasters. We will not stop
until Nielson’s prejudicial and discriminatory attacks on U.S.-based
Hispanics ceases.”

Richard D. Lara

General Counsel

Spanish Broadcasting System

Nielsen has issued the following statement in regards to SBSs comments
yesterday:

“The integrity of our data is paramount and that is why Nielsen removed
four homes from the Los Angeles PPM panel effective with the April monthly
audio currency data. An internal review concluded that these homes did not
meet our data quality and integrity standards. We conducted an analysis of
data from October 2017 to March 2018 and determined that the data for these
months will be reissued without these homes included. We have reviewed the
composition and characteristics of the balance of the Los Angeles PPM panel
without these homes and have determined that it meets our quality
standards. The in-tab sample for the Los Angeles population overall and
for Hispanic Spanish language dominant households in particular is
representative of the market. 20.6% of the market is Hispanic Spanish
Dominant and our goal is to have the composition of the sample come as
close as possible to this proportion. In April, we indexed at 100 for
Hispanic Spanish Dominant which means that the proportion of the in-tab
sample equaled the percent of the population. In March, we indexed at 99.
Previously with these four homes included we indexed at 101. Nielsen stands
behind the quality and integrity of the Los Angeles radio listening
estimates.”

The post Nielsen Responds To SBS Allegations Of Prejudice Against Hispanics
appeared first on RadioInsight.

Mike Novak To Retire As EMF CEO

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...re-as-emf-ceo/

Educational Media Foundation President/CEO Mike Novak will retire from the
organization within the next few months.

Novak has served as EMF CEO since October 2007 after rising through the
ranks from on-air host to Program Director to Senior Vice President
following his joining EMF in 1998. He previously had a long career in
secular radio including serving as APD/Afternoon host at 610 KFRC San
Francisco, OM of 99.7 KYUU San Francisco, on-air at 100.3 KIQQ Los Angeles
and spending eleven years at Country 97.3 KSON San Diego.

During Novaks run at the top of EMF, the group grew exponentially including
recent acquisitions in Los Angeles, Chicago, Providence, and Detroit.

Mike Novak, the chief executive of the largest non-commercial contemporary
Christian radio organization in the U.S., announced today he will retire as
CEO of the ministry that operates the popular K-LOVE and Air1 radio
networks in the coming months.

Mr. Novak and Educational Media Foundation’s (EMF’s) Board of Directors
have been working closely the past couple of years on the timing of his
retirement. Mr. Novak will continue to serve as CEO, while working with the
Board of Directors in their search for his successor.

Mr. Novak, 68, joined EMF in 1998 and became CEO in 2007. He led dramatic
growth of the networks, now heard on more than 800 stations in all 50
states and streamed around the world online. When he began as CEO, K-LOVE
and Air1 were heard on more than 600 stations in 45 states.

“It has been a great honor to be a part of God’s plan to use this radio
ministry to connect people to Jesus Christ,” Mr. Novak said. “I know there
is a season for everything and my season for leading this organization is
coming to an end. I am looking forward to serving EMF in an emeritus role,
staying involved in the broadcasting world, and spending more time with my
amazing wife, Cheri, and my family.”

“Mike Novak has provided outstanding leadership to our organization for
these last 11 years as CEO,” said Dan Antonelli, Chairman of the Board of
EMF. “Mike has used his deep knowledge of the broadcasting industry and his
passion and commitment to our ministry to create an organization that today
reaches more than 20 million people each week.”

Mr. Novak’s involvement with K-LOVE goes back to 1982 when he served as the
voice of the station and then joined EMF full time in 1998 as an air talent
and later program director, network program director, vice president of
programming, and senior vice president, before being tapped to be
President/CEO in 2007. Prior to joining EMF, he held a number of positions
at for-profit radio stations in major markets in California for many years.

Mr. Novak, who grew up in the Central Valley of California, has not only
been President and CEO but also a familiar voice to K-LOVE and Air1
listeners for years. He oversees a staff of more than 400 team members,
including everyone from on-air staff to an extensive pastoral team for
listeners.

“God has done great things for this ministry and through this ministry,”
Mr. Novak said. “It has been amazing to watch so many people be involved in
this ministry and bring Christian music and teaching to so many communities
throughout the United States. With online streaming now growing fast, the
ministry’s reach is unlimited.”

After 20 years of faithful service to the ministry, EMF is honored to
recognize the significant contributions of Mr. Novak. EMF is looking
forward to who God will bring for the next season of our ministry reach,
media growth and continued positive impact to the markets and people we
serve.

The post Mike Novak To Retire As EMF CEO appeared first on RadioInsight.

Rocky Top Sports Debuts In Knoxville

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...-in-knoxville/

Blount Broadcasting Company launched Sports Rocky Top Sports 850 WKVL
Knoxville/100.9 W267CK Maryville TN today.

Rocky Top Sports will feature Jayson Swain in mornings from 7-10am. Swain,
a former University of Tennessee wide receiver, previously hosted mornings
on 1180 WVLZ Knoxville until that station went silent and was sold earlier
this year. The station has also entered into a content partnership with
RockyTopInsider.com.

The former Classic Country format that had been heard on WKVL, will remain
on 1400 WGAP Maryville and its newly launched 105.9 W290DJ translator.

The post Rocky Top Sports Debuts In Knoxville appeared first on
RadioInsight.

Station Sales Week Of 6/1

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...s-week-of-6-1/

Ed Levines Galaxy Media is selling a 21% stake in the company to a group of
minority investors for a combined total of between $2.1 and $2.7 million.
Each investor will pay $300,000 for 30,000 shares of the company equal to a
3 percent stake. The investors include LM Communications owned Lynn Martin,
Syracuse University mens basketball coach Jim Boeheim, former Syracuse and
NBA player Etan Thomas, sports memorabilia marketer Brandon Steiner, Joyce
Hergenhan, and two investment groups.

Tenn-Vol Corp will acquire Country trio 92.1 KHOS-FM Sonora, 93.5 KOOK
Junction, and 94.3 KYXX Ozona TX from Forster Charitable Foundation for
$50,000.

The post Station Sales Week Of 6/1 appeared first on RadioInsight.

Cumulus Requests Dismissal Of Eight MX'd Translator Applications

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...-applications/

In addition to the pending deletion of 104.1 KZJF Jefferson City MO,
Cumulus Media has requested and has been granted the deletion of eight
translator applications made in January that were in the settlement phase
or would have been placed into an upcoming auction.

The translator applications deleted we
COL State Freq Station Little Rock AR 99.9 920 KARN Little Rock
Modesto CA 107.5 970 KESP Modesto Washington DC 103.1 630 WMAL
Washington Boise ID 104.7 670 KBOI Boise Fayetteville NC 98.5 640
WFNC Fayetteville Providence RI 102.9 790 WPRV Providence Columbia
SC 103.5 1320 WISW Columbia Knoxville TN 102.5 990 WNML Knoxville
COL State Freq Station

The post Cumulus Requests Dismissal Of Eight MXd Translator Applications
appeared first on RadioInsight.

David LaBrozzi Joins 95.5 WPLJ New York As Program Director

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...gram-director/

Entercom Baltimore VP/Programming David LaBrozzi is joining Cumulus Media
Hot AC 95.5 WPLJ New York as Program Director.

LaBrozzi has overseen the former CBS Radio cluster in Baltimore since 2004
including AC Todays 101.9 WLIF and Hot AC Mix 106.5 WWMX. He previously
served as VP/Programming for Clear Channel Pittsburgh and programmed in
Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, and Nashville.

He fills the opening created by Rick Gillettes exit in January.

Cumulus Media announces that it has named David LaBrozzi as Program
Director for 95.5 PLJ in New York. LaBrozzi joins Cumulus Media from
Entercom-Baltimore, where he was Vice President, Programming, for the
company’s four-station cluster for 14 years. Prior to that, he was Regional
Vice President of Programming for Clear Channel/iHeart Media, overseeing
stations in Pittsburgh, PA; Wheeling, WV; and Johnstown, PA. LaBrozzi’s
career includes programming stops in Dallas, TX; San Antonio, TX; Austin,
TX; and Nashville, TN.

Chad Lopez, Vice President/Market Manager, Cumulus Media-New York, said:
“We’re excited to welcome Dave LaBrozzi to the heritage brand that is WPLJ.
We look forward to what he’ll bring to the Big Apple. I want to thank Mike
Allan as Interim PD and the programming team at 95.5 for all of their hard
work these last few months.”

LaBrozzi said: WPLJ is truly one of America’s Iconic Radio Stations. I am
thrilled, honored and humbled to join Chad Lopez, Dave Milner, Mike McVay
and the incredible team at 95.5 PLJ. While I can’t wait to get started in
New York, I want to thank Entercom and CBS for a great experience and for
being an important part of my life.”

The post David LaBrozzi Joins 95.5 WPLJ New York As Program Director
appeared first on RadioInsight.