Old November 8th 18, 11:07 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Thursday 8 November 2018

RadioInsight

Ben Reed Retires As Cox Media Group San Antonio VP/Market Manager

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...arket-manager/

Ben Reed will retire from his position as Vice President/Market Manager for
Cox Media Groups San Antonio cluster at the end of 2018.

Reed has been with Cox since their acquisition of NewCity Communications in
1997. During his time with Cox he has served as Market Manager for their
Atlanta and San Antonio properties and Group VP of CMG’s media operations
in Atlanta, Birmingham, Houston, San Antonio and Tulsa radio markets and
the Austin American Statesman newspaper.

After more than 41 years in the media industry, Ben Reed, Cox Media Group’s
(CMG) vice president and market manager for the San Antonio Radio market,
has announced his desire to retire, effective December 31, 2018.

“When looking back on the last four decades and the opportunities I’ve been
afforded in my career, all I can say is I’m blessed – it’s that simple,”
said Reed. “The success we’ve achieved as an organization and the
expectations we’ve exceeded year after year in the San Antonio market is
truly remarkable. The camaraderie I share with my team and colleagues at
CMG will live in my heart forever.”

Prior to his station being acquired by Cox in 1997, Reed worked for NewCity
Communications as the general sales manager and Katz Broadcasting as an
account executive. When he joined Cox as the general sales manager in San
Antonio, his broad media experience allowed him to expand his scope of
responsibility throughout his tenure, including oversight of CMG’s Atlanta
Radio and newspapers in Austin. Today, he oversees content and sales for
CMG’s award-winning radio stations in San Antonio, including KISS 99.5,
KONO 101.1 860, KTKX 106.7, KKYX 680 104.9, KCYY 100.3 and KSMG 105.3,
and has played a vital role in the success of the San Antonio market and
CMG Radio. His expertise and passion for the industry and the people he
leads is truly remarkable.

“Ben Reed’s career story is about the success he has had making a positive
impact on the people he leads,” said Bill Hendrich, executive vice
president, CMG. “In multiple roles for both NewCity and CMG, Ben has led
his teams to success by helping them develop and grow to their full
potential. We will all miss Ben’s positive attitude, friendly advice and
great sense of humor.”

“It takes a great deal of passion, dedication and grit to be successful in
the radio industry and Ben possesses these qualities and so much more,”
said Kim Guthrie, CMG president. “I’ve had the pleasure of working with him
throughout my career at Cox and know firsthand that he is a true
broadcaster and respected leader whose positive impact can be seen across
many markets in our business. He is a valued colleague and friend who will
be greatly missed by all of us at CMG.”

CMG is launching a nationwide search for a Vice President/Market Manager to
lead the company’s award-winning radio stations in San Antonio. For more
information or to express interest in the role, please contact CMG Regional
Vice President of Radio Rob Babin at .

The post Ben Reed Retires As Cox Media Group San Antonio VP/Market Manager
appeared first on RadioInsight.

Jeff Haber To Program 104.1 The Spot New Orleans & 102.5 WFMF Baton Rouge

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...f-baton-rouge/

iHeartMedia has appointed Jeff Haber as Program Director of CHR 102.5 WFMF
Baton Rouge and Variety Hits 104.1 The Spot KVDU Houma/New Orleans.

Haber will also host middays on WFMF. He joins iHeart from the PD position
at CHR Power 94.7 KEWB Redding CA. He previously served as a producer for
iHeartMedia in Los Angeles and New York.

iHeartMedia Baton Rouge and New Orleans announced today that Jeff Haber has
been named Program Director for 102.5 WFMF, Todays Hit Music for Baton
Rouge and 104.1 The Spot, We Play Anything |New Orleans, effective
immediately. iHeartMedia Baton Rouge and New Orleans has a strong
cross-platform presence and includes a number of iconic brands and
franchises — both broadcast and digital — encompassing twelve stations
comprised of music, talk and news formats.

iHeartMedia has the leading consumer reach and influence across multiple
platforms and delivers more live programming than any other media company.
As Program Director, Haber will work with on-air personalities and sales to
oversee music programming as well as broadcast and digital operations for
both stations. In addition, he will serve as the midday on-air personality
at 102.5 WFMF. He will report to Bob Murphy, Region Senior Vice President
of Programming for iHeartMedia Louisiana.

“We’re excited to have someone of Jeff’s caliber leading our day-to-day
operations at 102.5 WFMF and 104.1 THE SPOT,” said Murphy. “102.5 WFMF has
been the leader in Contemporary Hit Radio in Baton Rouge since 1979 and
104.1 The Spot is gaining traction as ‘New Orleans’ We Play Anything’
station. Jeff will be an incredible asset as both stations continue to
grow.”

Haber joins iHeartMedia Baton Rouge and New Orleans from Power 94.7 FM in
Redding, California, where he most recently served as the Program Director.
He previously worked for iHeartMedia Los Angeles as the producer for Dave
Styles at 104.3 MYFM and nationally syndicated Big Boy’s Neighborhood. He
began his career at Q104.3, iHeart Media NY and is graduate of Ithaca
College.

“I’m so happy for the opportunity to work with an innovative, collaborative
team that shares the same vision for what listeners want to hear,” said
Haber. “iHeartMedia has always felt like home and I’m excited to make 102.5
WFMF and 104.1 The Spot the best stations they can be. I can’t wait to
surround myself with that southern hospitality and become a part of the
Baton Rouge and New Orleans communities.”

The post Jeff Haber To Program 104.1 The Spot New Orleans 102.5 WFMF Baton
Rouge appeared first on RadioInsight.

iHeartMedia To Launch Soft AC 92.5 The Breeze Sacramento

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...ze-sacramento/

iHeartMedia will flip Country 92.5 The Bull KBEB Sacramento to Soft AC 92.5
The Breeze on Monday, November 12 at 3:00pm.

Promoting Celine Dion, Rod Stewart, Whitney Houston, Michael Bolton,
Vanessa Williams as core artists and debuting with 10,000 songs-in-a-row
commercial-free, the stations launch will come after Bonneville AC Mix 96
96.1 KYMX moves to Christmas music for the holiday season.

The Country format of The Bull and the Bobby Bones Show will move to 107.1
K296GB North Highlands replacing the Smooth Jazz Network. The translator
covers the eastern side of the Sacramento market. KBEB is currently one of
three Country outlets in the Sacramento market holding a 2.3 share in the
October Nielsen Audio ratings. Bonnevilles 105.1 KNCI held a 4.3 share,
while Entravisions 101.9 The Wolf KNTY held a 2.0.

We first teased the potential of a 92.5 The Breeze launch in a PPM market
in our 10/30 Domain Insight report.

iHeartMedia Sacramento announced today the launch of 92.5 The Breeze,
Sacramento’s #1 For Relaxing Favorites at Work.

92.5 The Breeze will launch Monday, November 12th at 3 p.m. by playing
10,000 commercial-free songs in a row. The new station will broadcast a
soothing blend of music from artists such as Celine Dion, Rod Stewart,
Whitney Houston, Michael Bolton, Vanessa Williams and more. The full talent
line-up for 92.5 The Breeze will be announced in the upcoming weeks.

“The timing is perfect to bring 92.5 The Breeze to our iHeartMedia
Sacramento market,” said Sara McClure, Market President for iHeartMedia
Sacramento. “We’re taking our powerful 50,000-watt signal back to when it
was a powerful adult contemporary station playing familiar favorites for
today’s listeners.”

“No doubt many in Sacramento will remember the station 92.5 for its
decades- long heritage as an Adult Contemporary station and one of the top
stations in the market,” said Curtiss Johnson, Senior Vice President of
Programming for iHeartMedia Sacramento. “I’m happy to say we’re bringing
that format back to Adult Contemporary. 92.5 The Breeze is the perfect
station for relaxing to favorites while you work, unwinding after a long
day or just for getting into that weekend frame of mind.”

As a part of this move, programming on 92.5 The Bull and The Bobby Bones
Show will be moving to iHeartMedia Sacramento’s 107.1 FM. And, beginning
today, Sacramento’s Smooth Jazz Network will now air exclusively on the
iHeartRadio app.

The post iHeartMedia To Launch Soft AC 92.5 The Breeze Sacramento appeared
first on RadioInsight.

Salem To Launch Sebastian Gorka Into Syndication Replacing Michael Medved

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...ichael-medved/

Salem Media Group is revising its syndicated Conservative Talk lineup as
its Salem Radio Network will debut America First with Sebastian Gorka
starting January 1, 2019 in the 3-6pm eastern/12-3pm pacific timeslot.

Previously one of Donald Trumps advisors, Gorka currently serves as Fox
News Channel’s National Security Strategist guesting regularly on that
network. While Medved will leave the national lineup offered by Salem, he
will continue to host his show locally in Seattle where it is based at
Bonneville Conservative Talk 770 The Truth KTTH and plans on making it
available to our devoted listeners in an exciting new format.

Salem Media Group announced today that Salem Radio Network is launching a
new talk show hosted by Dr. Sebastian Gorka. The show—“America First with
Sebastian Gorka”—will debut January 1, 2019 and will air daily in the 3pm
to 6pm ET daypart on the SRN platform, replacing the Michael Medved show.

“I couldn’t be more pleased to have talent like Sebastian Gorka joining the
Salem lineup,” said Salem Media Group’s CEO Edward Atsinger. “He’s a
perfect fit. Brilliant, insightful, educated and uniquely experienced. A
great addition to the best faculty in Talk Radio.”

Michael Medved commented, “I feel grateful for the more than 21 years I’ve
worked with Salem Media Group, and I wish continued success to my friends
and colleagues at the network. Together with my team of producers here in
Seattle, we’ll be continuing our daily broadcast with no interruption,
making it available to our devoted listeners in an exciting new format.
We’ll also move forward with our emphasis on history programs and
commentary to encourage public appreciation of the real blessings of this
amazing country. Stay tuned.”

Gorka is Fox News Channel’s National Security Strategist and is a regular
guest on Hannity and the FOX Business Network. He writes for “The Hill” and
is the nationally bestselling author of Why We Fight: Defeating America’s
Enemies—With No Apologies (Regnery) and Defeating Jihad: The Winnable War
(Regnery). Gorka was an advisor to candidate Donald Trump and served on the
staff of the White House in 2017 as Deputy Assistant to the President for
Strategy.

“Radio has always been my first love, since I listened to talk radio late
at night on a transistor radio as a child,” said Gorka. “America is finally
recovering its rightful place as the shining city on a hill after 8 years
of liberal self-loathing.” Gorka added, “Salem’s broadcasts are essential
to that recovery and I am honored to join Salem’s team, the greatest lineup
in talk radio with true patriots like Prager, Gallagher, Hewitt, Elder, and
Metaxas.”

“There is a culture war going on in this country, and Dr. Gorka is uniquely
qualified to take this fight to talk radio,” said Salem Radio Network
Senior Vice President, Phil Boyce. “His program will deal with the hot
breaking news stories of each day, and help listeners understand what to
make of it.”

Gorka has a unique story. His father was imprisoned in communist Hungary,
because he was a freedom fighter against Communism. He was sentenced to
life in prison for his views and escaped to the United Kingdom. He escaped
with a young woman whom he would later marry, and they became Gorka’s
mother and father. Gorka was raised in London and was groomed on London
talk radio from an early age. He obtained his doctorate in Political
Science from Corvinus University in Budapest in 2010, was a fellow at
Harvard’s John F. Kennedy School of Government, served as Associate Dean at
National Defense University, and has also taught at Georgetown University.

“The Listener feedback we receive each time Dr. Gorka fills in for one of
our Network hosts is overwhelming,” added Salem Broadcast Division
President David Santrella. “I think Dr. Gorka is the right person at the
right time and the Salem Radio Network is definitely the right place.”

The post Salem To Launch Sebastian Gorka Into Syndication Replacing Michael
Medved appeared first on RadioInsight.

Love 105 Returns To The Twin Cities

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...e-twin-cities/

Cumulus Media has relaunched the Love 105 brand on its 105.1 WGVX
Lakeville, 105.3 WLUP Cambridge, and 105.7 WWWM-FM Eden Prairie/Minneapolis
trimulcast.

Dropping Classic Hip-Hop 105 The Vibe, the trimulcast has gone into
all-Christmas mode as The Twin Cities Christmas Station with a shift to
some form of AC to follow after the holidays. Longtime Twin Cities vet and
current 92.5 KQRS evening host Jay Philpott will serve as APD/afternoon
host for Love 105.

The Love 105 brand originally debuted in May 2007 with a Soft Oldies format
under ABCs ownership that eventually evolved to AC following the demise of
102.9 WLTE in December 2011. The station hit a peak 3.1 share in the
February 2012 Nielsen Audio ratings, but by April 2013 had flipped to
Sports 105 The Ticket. The flip to Classic Hip-Hop followed in August 2015.
The stations held a 0.8 share in the October 2018 ratings.

The new incarnation of the brand will go after the current 1-2 punch in the
market of Hubbard Hot AC KS 95 94.5 KSTP-FM and iHeartMedia Classic Hits
Kool 108 107.9 KQQL in filling the missing AC hole in the market. KSTP-FM
currently leads the market with a 7.5 share and KQQL in second with a 6.7.

The post Love 105 Returns To The Twin Cities appeared first on RadioInsight.

B101 Returns To Philadelphia

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/f...-philadelphia/

Coming up on its fifth anniversary since its rebranding as 101.1 More-FM,
Entercom has shifted 101.1 WBEB Philadelphia to a variation of its former
identity rebranding it as B101.1.

While the stations website has the holiday version of the logo as of this
writing with the More Continuous Holiday Music positioning, the station has
not yet made the move the Christmas Music. WBEB is still utilizing its
former name in its branding as the positioning statement is More Music,
More Variety.

This is now the fourth brand name the 101.1 frequency has used as it
continuously evolves its AC format. Former Beautiful Music WDVR then became
EAZY 101 WEAZ-FM in 1981. As it then grew from Easy Listening to Soft AC to
AC, it rebranded as B101 in 1993 under the WBEB calls. Market research led
then-owner Jerry Lee to rebrand again as 101.1 More-FM in 2013.

While WBEB continues to be the highest CUMEing station in the Philadelphia
market by a wide margin, it began to show cracks in recent months as it
dropped from first to as low as fourth before rebounding back to second
with a 6.3-7.0 rise in the October Nielsen Audio ratings.

INSTANT INSIGHT: With iHeartMedia likely launching a new Soft AC competitor
to WBEB on 106.1 WISX, it makes sense for Entercom to return the station
back to its more widely known brand as it prepares to enter a marketing
battle. I could very easily see a perceptual research study coming back
showing listeners still identify the station as B101, but also finding that
the station under the More-FM identity was too Top 40ish musically
regardless of any changes that accompanied this move.

The post B101 Returns To Philadelphia appeared first on RadioInsight.

New York Post: Craig Cartons sad fall: A radio genius done in by his demons

https://nypost.com/2018/11/07/craig-...by-his-demons/

The post New York Post: Craig Carton’s sad fall: A radio genius done in by
his demons appeared first on RadioInsight.

Lee Hammer Takes KGO/KSFO Programming Reins As Jack Swanson Moves To
Consulting Role

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...nsulting-role/

One month after returning to Cumulus Media News/Talk 810 KGO and
Conservative Talk 560 KSFO San Francisco as Program Director, Jack Swanson
is transitioning to a programming consultant position.

Lee Hammer, who current serves as Operations Manager for Cumulus San
Francisco and Vice President of Play-by-Play Programming for Sports 680
KNBR, will take over the PD duties for the stations. Hammer previously
served as Interim Program Director at KGO/KSFO in 2015 while also serving
as Program Director of KNBR and 1050 KNBR KTCT. Hammer rose to his current
position in July 2017 after programming KTCT from 1998-2016 and KNBR from
2005-2017.

Swanson, who programmed KGO and KSFO from 1994 through 2011, returned in
early October after most recently serving as Director of News and
Programming for News 740 KCBS/106.9 KFRC.

CUMULUS MEDIA announces that it has appointed veteran Bay Area radio
programming professional Lee Hammer as Program Director of powerhouse San
Francisco Talk Radio stations KGO and KSFO. Hammer served KGO and KSFO as
Interim Program Director in 2015, when he was also the Program Director at
KNBR 680 and KNBR 1050 (KTCT), positions he held for 12 years and over 19
years, respectively. Hammer was promoted last year to Operations Manager
for the Cumulus cluster in San Francisco and Vice President of Play-by-Play
Programming for KNBR. He assumes the additional role of KGO and KSFO
Program Director from recently appointed Program Director Jack Swanson, who
will now serve as programming consultant for KGO and KSFO.

Doug Harvill, Vice President and Market Manager, CUMULUS MEDIA-San
Francisco, said: Lee Hammer did an excellent job while handling the
programming for KGO and KSFO. Its an easy choice to hand Lee the keys to
these two legendary*radio stations.

Harvill added: “Jack Swanson has decided he’s happiest spending his days
playing on the beach rather than sitting behind a desk. We’re pleased he’ll
continue to share his vision about the future of KGO and KSFO as he
continues to serve the stations as a programming consultant.”

Hammer said: “I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to work with the
talented professionals at KGO and KSFO. I want to thank Doug Harvill for
his confidence in me, and for the opportunity to consult with Jack Swanson,
who is without a doubt, one of the top talk radio programmers in the
country.”

Swanson said: “I realize my decision to return to the beach is sudden. I
quickly fell in love all over again with these wonderful stations and their
talented people, but ultimately, my change of heart comes from my desire to
fully enjoy a future of unlimited fun, travel and adventure. And making
this move complete, through the unbelievable graciousness of Doug Harvill,
Lee Hammer and the entire Cumulus Corporate team, I’ll still have the
opportunity to contribute my ideas for the future of these amazing radio
stations.”

The post Lee Hammer Takes KGO/KSFO Programming Reins As Jack Swanson Moves
To Consulting Role appeared first on RadioInsight.

WMJT Moves To Hot AC In A Flash

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...ac-in-a-flash/

Travis Sumbera’s Two Hearted Media flipped Classic Hits Eagle 96.7 WMJT
McMillan/Newberry MI to Hot AC 96.7 Flash-FM on Halloween.

Sumbera began operating WMJT on September 1 via LMA and filed to acquire
the station outright for $100,000. He worked at the station for the past
decade most recently serving as General Sales Manager. The new branding of
the station comes from the name of his dog (as depicted in the logo as
well).

(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if
(d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
js.src = 'https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v3.2';
fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,
fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));

The cats outta the bag! Wellmore like the dog..?We are excited to announce
that Eagle Radio will now be known as

Posted by Eagle 96.7 on Wednesday, October 31, 2018

The post WMJT Moves To Hot AC In A Flash appeared first on RadioInsight.