Old December 10th 18, 01:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.space,uk.radio.amateur,free.uk.amateur-radio,rec.radio.info

Default [AMSAT-UK] Fox-1Cliff/AO-95 Receive Anomaly

AMSAT-UK

Fox-1Cliff/AO-95 Receive Anomaly

https://amsat-uk.org/2018/12/09/fox-...-ao-95-status/

AO-95 (Fox-1Cliff) CubeSat

Following the launch of Fox-1Cliff/AO-95 AMSAT Engineering began the
commissioning process, with the help of AMSAT Operations, on Tuesday,
December 4.

Satellite telemetry indicates that the bird is healthy, and I thank all of
the stations who have captured and relayed the telemetry that enabled us to
monitor and determine the health of the various systems on board.
Fox-1Cliff required an extended period monitoring battery and power levels
due to the anomaly and fix that was applied back in February of 2016 during
environmental testing, and the result of that is positive.

However, during the next steps of commissioning we discovered an anomaly
with her receive capability. After a few days of tests, analysis, and
discussion, it appears that Fox-1Cliff/AO-95 will not be commissioned as
our fourth Fox-1 amateur radio satellite.

AMSAT Engineering will continue to evaluate and test Fox-1Cliff/AO-95 for
solutions to the anomaly and your continued help in providing telemetry is
appreciated so that we can have data throughout her daily orbits rather
than limited data over our U.S. stations. The data, analysis, and testing
could lead to a positive solution but at the very least will be important
to AMSATs satellite programs in providing information that would help us
and others, as we do freely share our successes and failures, to avoid
similar situations with future missions.

I would like to thank all of the AMSAT Fox Engineering volunteers who made
Fox-1Cliff possible and continue to build our new satellites, becoming even
better as we move forward.

I will provide more information on the anomaly and any determination we
make regarding the possible cause or causes as well as information on the
possibility of recovery, over time. Please be patient regarding that. Many
of you have probably built a project and had to troubleshoot it on your
bench, we are in a troubleshooting situation here with the additional
challenge of being 600 km away from our bench.

Jerry Buxton, N0JY, AMSAT Vice President of Engineering

Source AMSAT News Service, sign up for emails at