Old April 5th 19, 01:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default minimum when the earth's cooling and contracting atmosphere reduces

Amateur Radio Newsline 2162 for Friday, April 5, 2019

Amateur Radio Newsline Report Number 2162 with a release date of
Friday, April 5, 2019 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.

The following is a QST. Ham radio pays tribute to radio officers around
the world. Digital modes are in the spotlight -- and a missing ham is
found dead in Pennsylvania. All this and more as Amateur Radio Newsline
Number 2162 comes your way right now.

**

BILLBOARD CART

**
GLOBAL EVENT HONORS RADIO OFFICERS THROUGHOUT HISTORY

NEIL/ANCHOR: We begin this week's report with news of an event that
pays tribute to radio officers, those who serve as a lifeline to ships
at sea. This is a worldwide activity and organizers are looking to
expand participation this year, as we learn from Ed Durrant DD5LP.

ED: It started with five amateur radio operators: Alfredo IK6IJF, Rolf
DL9CM, Guiliano I1SAF, Olivier F6DGU and David G3PLE. Now, a decade
later, it has grown into a favourite tribute on the global radio
calendar. It is, the International Maritime Radio Day and it operates
to honour radio officers through the years, those who provided wireless
communication services to vessels at sea. This year it is taking place
from 1200 UTC Sunday the 14th of April until 2200 UTC on Monday the
15th of April. Organizers write on their website: [quote] "I do not
know if any of us really thought that MRD would become the truly
international event where we can demonstrate our expertise and
professionalism on the air." [endquote]

All former radio officers who have an amateur radio license are
encouraged to get on the air and be a part of the event. Organizers
write on their website that they are particularly interested in
attracting new participants especially from the United States and parts
of the Far East. Both regions have had a meagre showing in the past.
All communications will of course be conducted in Morse Code on amateur
radio bands closest to the International Naval Frequencies.

To register, see this newscast's script at arnewsline dot org where the
website URL is given.

http://www.mrd.seefunker.eu/mrd_registry.php

For Amateur Radio Newsline I'm Ed Durrant DD5LP.

(QRZ.COM FORUM)

**
BODY OF PENNSYLVANIA RADIO OPERATOR FOUND

NEIL/ANCHOR: The search for a missing amateur radio operator in
Pennsylvania ended recently with the discovery of his body. Heather
Embee KB3TZD has that story.

HEATHER: An amateur radio operator who had been the focus of a missing
persons alert has become a Silent Key. According to news reports, the
body of Karl Messerschmidt, K-A-3-R-C-S, of Myerstown, Pennsylvania,
was found on Saturday, March 30, in the Middle Creek Wildlife Area. The
local coroner said that two hikers found the radio operator's body and
that he had died of a single gunshot wound - believed to be a suicide.
His body was found at the conclusion of a search that had begun after
the man's Jeep had been found parked and unattended. Authorities
mobilized horse-mounted, ATV, and on-foot search teams, drones,
logistic teams and the state police. According to the profile on his
QRZ page, Karl had a keen interest in DXing, rag-chewing and AM
operations. He was also rediscovering Morse Code and had a burgeoning
interest in Summits on the Air. Karl Messerschmidt was 46. He had been
a licensed ham since the age of 14. For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm
Heather Embee, K-B-3-T-Z-D. (READING EAGLE, WGAL LANCASTER)

**
WEAPONS TEST CRITICIZED FOR POSSIBLE EFFECT ON ISS

NEIL/ANCHOR: A NASA official has criticized India for conducting a
recent anti-satellite weapons test that involved blowing up a satellite
at an altitude of 300 km, saying that the result could put the
International Space Station in danger. NASA Administrator Jim
Bridenstine told an April 1st town hall meeting in Washington D.C. that
the the explosion created a spray of debris above the ISS resulting in
what he called a "terrible, terrible thing."

On March 27, the Microsat-R was blown into more than 6,500 pieces which
act as small bullets as they circle the earth.

Officials also call the test poorly timed. This is a time of solar
minimum when the earth's cooling and contracting atmosphere reduces
aerodynamic drag that causes satellites to decay. This means the small
fragments could remain in high orbit for years, racing along at 17,000
miles an hour.

(SOUTHGATE, SPACEWEATHER.COM)

**

WASHINGTON LAWMAKERS GRILL OFFICIAL'S WIFE ABOUT HAM RADIO

NEIL/ANCHOR: A congressional panel in Washington, D.C., recently
questioned the wife of a federal official about her ham radio activity.
Andy Morrison K9AWM has those details.

ANDY: A recently released transcript reveals that Republican members of
Congress had asked the wife of a ranking Justice Department official
whether she was using her amateur radio license to communicate with
Russia - specifically to monitor transmissions about Russian interests
in Donald Trump's 2016 presidential bid.

Nellie Ohr, KM4UDZ, is the wife of the Justice Department's Bruce Ohr.
She is a Technician class licensee. She told Republican members of the
House Committee on the Judiciary she became a ham as part of her
involvement as a volunteer in the local Community Emergency Response
Team. She was being interviewed at the time by members of Congress in
closed-door questioning Oct. 19, 2018. The transcript was recently made
public in the U.S. media, including the Atlanta Journal Constitution, a
daily newspaper in Georgia.

The Fairfax County, Virginia woman was quoted in the published report
as saying [quote] "I saw an ad for the community emergency response
training, and I thought, now is a good time for me to do it."
[endquote] She said the emergency team's training was sponsored by the
Department of Homeland Security and the local fire department.

When asked directly by one lawmaker whether she had ever communicated
with anyone in Russia using ham radio, she indicated that the Tech
license is the lowest level license and that there are few frequencies
available for overseas contacts.

For Amateur Radio Newsline I'm Andy Morrison K9AWM.

(ATLANTA JOURNAL-CONSTITUTION)

**
NEW ZEALAND TRAFFIC STOP LEADS TO RADIO VIOLATIONS

NEIL/ANCHOR: In New Zealand, use of a handheld radio on the wrong
frequencies led to one motorist's encounter with police - and the
nation's telecommunications regulator. We hear more from Jim Meachen
ZL2BHF.

JIM: A New Zealand man received a different kind of traffic ticket
after police said he had been using an HT in his car for unlicensed
radio communication on police channels. Local media reports say the
motorist, Elvis Johnstone of Tauranga, was given a $2,250 fine for
having been found with a Baofeng UV-5R tuned to the Northland Police
Channel. Poice had stopped his car last year on the 24th of August when
they discovered the radio and noticed the frequency on which it was
set. Charges were laid by Radio Spectrum Management for the violation
of the Radiocommunications Act of 1989. The $3,000 fine imposed was
discounted to $2,250 by an early guilty plea and also covers court
costs. The news report notes that since then, RSM has acted to halt the
use of unrestricted radios and last October introduced regulations
barring the unauthorised import, sale and distribution of unrestricted
two-way radios.

For Amateur Radio Newsline I'm Jim Meachen ZL2BHF.

(RADIO SPECTRUM MANAGEMENT)

**
RADIO AMATEUR CAPTURES CRUISE SHIP'S DISTRESS CALL

NEIL/ANCHOR: A ham radio operator captured the saga of a ship in
distress off the coast of Norway and shared it with media. Jeremy Boot
G4NJH has the details.

JEREMY: The dramatic distress call of a Norwegian cruise ship stranded
in storm-tossed weather in late March was captured and recorded by a
ham radio operator in Norway. The Viking Sky had 1,373 passengers and
crew on board when it was crippled by power loss, engine failure and
hazardous weather while off the Norwegian coast. Reports in Norwegian
media indicated wind gusts of 43 miles an hour and wave heights
exceeding 26 feet, or about 8 metres. According to a report in the USA
Today newspaper, the ship had to drop anchor in order to avoid being
dashed on the rocks.

Broadcasters in Norway and Sweden reported that a radio amateur had
intercepted the communications. They had been provided with his
recording but they did not state his identity.

The ship, which sailed from Tromsų in northern Norway, had been bound
for southern Norway in bad weather when the engine failed and the
vessel listed, taking on water. More than 10 hours of helicopter air
evacuations took 464 passengers off the ship but once the engines were
able to be re-started, it was able to continue its journey to a
Norwegian port.

For Amateur Radio Newsline I'm Jeremy Boot G4NJH.

(SOUTHGATE, USA TODAY)

**

NOMINATE OUR NEXT YOUNG HAM OF THE YEAR

NEIL/ANCHOR: Please don't forget Amateur Radio Newsline's Young Ham of
the Year Award. The honor is named in memory of Newsline's Bill
Pasternak WA6ITF. We are currently accepting nominations of candidates.
Information about eligibility is available on our website,
arnewsline.org, under the YHOTY tab. You can download a nomination form
which is due back to us before midnight on May 31st. The award will be
presented on August 18th at the Huntsville Hamfest in Huntsville
Alabama.

**

BREAK HE Time for you to identify your station. We are the Amateur
Radio Newsline, heard on bulletin stations around the world including
the K6SOA repeater in Laguna Beach California on Tuesdays at 8 p.m.
Pacific Time.

**

AN AGREEMENT TO HELP FLORIDA WHEN STORMS HIT

NEIL/ANCHOR: The draft of an agreement between the state of Florida and
Florida Amateur Radio Emergency Services is now in the works in the
aftermath of Hurricane Michael. A Memorandum of Understanding was
drafted and has been under discussion following a recent meeting of
various ARES section emergency coordinators and the state's Emergency
Management Communication leaders. According to a press release, the
hurricane's impact drove home the point that amateur radio was the sole
reliable communications mode during emergency response following the
storm late last year. West Central Section Emergency Coordinator Ben
Henley KI4IGX (K-Eye-Four-Eye-G-X) said the memorandum would allow for
the first time the formal integration of ARES into the state's
communications team. The team said this will help prepare the hams and
the state to better work together in time for the next storm.

**
NET DEVOTES 24 HOURS TO DIGITAL MARATHON

NEIL/ANCHOR: Digital modes, which are gaining rapidly in popularity,
are converging in a special net this month devoted to the good
old-fashioned ragchew. It's a marathon of sorts, as we learn from
Graham Kemp VK4BB.

GRAHAM: On April 20, hams from around the world, using a variety of
modes are being invited to celebrate the one thing they may all have in
common: they all love a good ragchew. The 420 Ham Radio Network is
hosting a 24-hour Net that is accessible via DMR TG 302024, Yaesu
Fusion 36037, D-STAR reflector 420A, All-Star 49447 and on Echolink
66420. Martin Swinimer VE1KLR, who will serve as net control, said that
the net has been scheduled to call attention to the need for more good
ragchews. He told Newsline [quote] "that part of the hobby is in need
of attention." [endquote]

On April 20, it will be in the spotlight for 24 hours. Find access
information by visiting 4-2-0 reflector dot net (420reflector.net)

For Amateur Radio Newsline I'm Graham Kemp VK4BB.

(MARTIN SWINIMER VE1KLR)

**

NEW WEAK SIGNAL MODE RELEASED

NEIL/ANCHOR: It looks like JS8Call, a new conversational weak signal
mode, is ready for prime time. The developer, Jordan KN4CRD, has
announced that the build of Version 1.0 is complete and it is being
released publicly. The application is a derivative of WSJT-X that
mimics Fldigi or FSQ by being based on keyboard-to-keyboard
communication. Jordan has announced that he completed some final fixes
and has added a feature to check, by default, for updates upon each
startup.

The current and all future downloads are available at the web page
files dot js8call dot com slash latest dot html

files.js8call.com/latest.html

Jordan, a QRP enthusiast, says he will be listening for your QSOs.

**
MORE DIGITAL: VHF 'SUPER' CONFERENCE NEAR WASHINGTON D.C.

NEIL/ANCHOR: Even more discussion on all things in the digital realm
can be expected at a major regional conference outside Washington,
D.C., this month. Stephen Kinford N8WB has the agenda.

STEPHEN: The newest modes in digital operation are expected to provide
much of the buzz at the second VHF Super Conference taking place
outside Washington, D.C., on the weekend of April 26th through the
28th. Amateur radio operators involved in VHF and UHF and enthusiasts
of microwave weak-signal operations are expected as well as non-ham
DXers. According to Andrew K1RA, most of the nearly 300 attendees are
from east of the Mississippi Rover and eastern Canada but attendees
also come from the western states and overseas. This is the second
conference of its kind and is sponsored by the Southeastern VHF
Society, North East Weak Signal Group and the Mt. Airy VHF Radio Club.
It is being hosted by the Grid Pirates Contest Group with Directive
Systems and Engineering. Phil K3TUF said the first conference was held
in 2016 and was a huge success. He said it was at that conference where
Joe Taylor K1JT, a member of the Pack Rats at the Mt. Airy club,
announced his plans for FT8. He said Joe will be at this year's
conference as well, with a look into the future of digital modes. The
conference will be at the Holiday Inn Washington-Dulles Intl Airport in
Sterling Virginia. The website can be found in the script of this
week's report at arnewsline dot org.

https://vhfsuperconference.com/?fbcl...08BNDOaU0VV60e
lEkhW5GblrMDvd4LYdt15xxHaQsng

For Amateur Radio Newsline I'm Stephen Kinford N8WB

**
EVEN MORE DIGITAL: A 'NEXT GENERATION' QSO PARTY

NEIL/ANCHOR: The last weekend in April is also devoted to digital with
a QSO party weekend on FreeDV HF Digital Voice. John Williams VK4JJW
explains.

JOHN: The next generation in digital amateur radio is celebrating its
arrival on the bands with a QSO Party in April. The FreeDV HF Digital
Voice QSO Party is taking place for 24 hours beginning at 0300 UTC on
the 27th of April. The South Australia-based Amateur Radio
Experimenters Group says on its website that the purpose of the event
is get the word out about this new digital mode and its software
available without cost to licensed amateurs. Organizers want to
encourage hams using FreeDV to work as many other FreeDV stations as
possible. This new digital voice transmission mode for the HF bands was
created by South Australian amateur David VK5DGR, who developed the
software based on open source principles. The experimenters group's
website says: [quote] "If you can use WSJT-X for FT8 or any other
digital modes software then, with the addition of headphones and a
microphone on your PC, you can switch to digital voice transmission in
an instant! Its that easy! So why not give it a try?" [endquote]

AREG also notes that its own club station will be on the air around the
clock, ready for DX especially on 40, 20 and 15m. For more details
visit W W W dot areg dot org dot au (www.areg.org.au)

For Amateur Radio Newsline I'm John Williams VK4JJW.

(AMATEUR RADIO EXPERIMENTERS GROUP)

**

WORLD OF DX

In this week's World of DX, be listening for Harald DF2WO operating as
XT2AW from Burkina Faso through the end of April. He will concentrate
on 160, 80 and 60 metres. QSL via M0OXO's OQRS and LoTW.

Listen also for Jerry, F4HJO, using the call sign F4HJO/p from Belle
Ile en Mer from the 13th of April through to the 21st of April. He will
operate SSB, RTTY and FT8 on 80-15 metres. QSL via Club Log's OQRS, or
via the bureau to his home call.

Chris, EA3NT will be on the air as J20NT from mainland Djibouti on the
13th and 14th of April, while waiting for his J20DX team mates'
arrival. QSL via EA3NT.

Mike, K9AJ and Bruce, KD6WW will be active as K7Y from Khantaak Island
in the Yakutat County Group of Alaska from the 10th to the 13th of May.
They will operate mainly CW on 40, 30, 20 and 17 metres, with some
SSB and possibly some FT8. QSL via Club Log's OQRS, or via K9AJ,
direct or bureau.

(OHIO PENN DX NEWSLETTER)

**

KICKER: HAM HAS A COMET TO CALL HER OWN

NEIL/ANCHOR: Finally, we end with the question: What's better than a
vanity callsign? How about....a vanity COMET? Mike Askins KE5CXP
explains.

MIKE: Heather Flewelling WH6FTQ is a SOTA activator in Hawaii, a net
control for a nightly net, very active on simplex and has even served
as net control for SKYWARN, starting with Hurricane Lane in 2018.

Now she has a comet to call her own: Comet Flewelling. Heather, who has
a PhD in physics, discovered the comet recently during her work at the
Institute for Astronomy, a part of the University of Hawaii. Her
current assignment is the Asteroid Terrestrial-impact Last Alert
System, or ATLAS. It's an early warning system for asteroid impact that
the university is developing with support from NASA. That's what led
her to her celestial finding.

On the 21st of March, the International Astronomical Union Minor Planet
Center christened Heather's discovery with her name.

That's got to be at least as exciting as another recent discovery that
Heather made: amateur radio. Heather got her ticket only in May of last
year after buying an SDR radio on impulse. By Field Day, just a few
weeks later, she had upgraded to Extra class -- you might say, at the
speed of a comet.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Mike Askins KE5CXP.

(DARREN HOLBROOK KH6OWL)

**

NEWSCAST CLOSE: With thanks to Alan Labs; Amateur News Weekly; Amateur
Radio Experimenters Group; the ARRL; Atlanta Journal-Constitution; CQ
Magazine; Darren Holbrook KH6OWL; Hap Holly and the Rain Report; Martin
Swinimer VE1KLR; Ohio-Penn DX Bulletin; QRZ.COM; the Reading Eagle;
Radio Spectrum Management of New Zealand; Southgate Amateur Radio News;
Ted Randall's QSO Radio Show; USA Today; WGAL-TV; WTWW Shortwave; and
you our listeners, that's all from the Amateur Radio Newsline. Please
send emails to our address at . More information
is available at Amateur Radio Newsline's only official website at
arnewsline.org. For now, with Caryn Eve Murray, KD2GUT, at the news
desk in New York, and our news team worldwide, I'm Neil Rapp WB9VPG in
Bloomington Indiana saying 73 and as always we thank you for listening.

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) is Copyright 2019. All rights reserved.

[RADARC] 53 years of Earth-Moon-Earth (EME), then and now RADARC via rec.radio.info Admin Info 0 March 4th 17 12:51 AM
Satellites show Earth cooling at record rate. DhiaDuit Shortwave 2 November 14th 16 06:48 PM
Atmosphere gareth Antenna 15 March 5th 16 10:50 PM
CALCULATION OF EARTH RESISTANCE IN MULTI-LAYER EARTH STRUCTURE [email protected] Antenna 2 January 12th 05 04:41 PM
CALCULATION OF EARTH RESISTANCE IN MULTI-LAYER EARTH STRUCTURE [email protected] Equipment 1 January 11th 05 06:14 PM