Old February 19th 20, 04:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc,oma.general,nebr.misc,rec.radio.info

Default This months Spotlight Ham focus is Rod Blocksome K0DAS

Go to our section website for all the details.

This month's ham spotlight is on our very own Rod Blocksome. K0DAS

I have been an active amateur for 57 years having been first licensed in
1960 as KN0DAS in Ransom, Kansas - on a wheat & livestock farm in
western Kansas. My early interest in radio and electronics led to my
obtaining BSEE and MSEE degrees from Kansas State University. I am much
indebted to my early "Elmers" who helped me on this path: "Baldy"
Balderson, W0CKV, Hal Dobbs, K5RTH/W0BXU, and Fred Bauer, W0EFT.

I served 4 years as a Communications Electronics Officer in the USAF
during the Viet Nam Era. I had a wonderful career with Collins Radio
(later Rockwell Collins) in design engineering, engineering management,
and communications systems engineering. In 2002 I was honored as a
corporate engineer-of-the-year and later retired in 2010 with 42 years
of service.

Since retirement I've been very active in many volunteer service
projects - the most interesting one being a research analyst in the
search for Amelia Earhart's Airplane lost at sea near Howland Island in
1937. I've participated in three deep ocean sonar searches in 2002,
2006, and 2017 - and the work continues.

In my career I have either visited or worked in over 50 DX entities.
You may find me in your log as KN0DAS, K0DAS, K0DAS/5, K0DAS/KH6,
VK2IHY, K0DAS/KH2, T30CXX, T32CXX, T32DAS, K0DAS/V73, and K0DAS/MM3. I
hold an Extra Class License and am a life member of ARRL.

My major amateur radio activities include:

Weak Signal CW/SSB/Digital on the bands 50 MHz thru 2304 MHz including
EME on 50, 144, and 432 MHz and contesting as a "Rover" Station.
HF DXing and Contesting from home and club station N0MA - the Radio
Farm
Equipment and Antenna Design - both professionally and for amateur radio
(see ARRL 1995 Radio Amateur Handbook for my 50 Watt Solid State HF PA)
Restoration of Classic Equipment - I was part of the team that
restored the WWII radio operators position on "FIFI" the flying B-29 in
the CAF.
"Elmering" new hams with technical assistance - I assist a friend
who hosts regular "builder sessions", CW classes, and "Elmering"
sessions.
Upon retirement in 2010, I was presented with an opportunity to give
back to the amateur radio hobby that has meant so much to my career when
I was appointed vice-director of the ARRL Midwest Division. I served in
that position until elected director for the 2015-2017 term.

My experience since joining the ARRL board in 2010 includes serving on
the following committees:

Programs & Services Committee - current chairman
ARRL Historical Committee - current chairman
VHF/UHF Revitalization committee
Trademark committee
Contest Advisory Committee Liaison to the PSC
ARRL National Broadband Plan committee
Ethics & Elections committee
Administration & Finance committee
For the past seven years it has been my privilege to serve first as
Midwest vice-director and then director. I am available and always
willing to listen to member inputs, comments, complaints, and proposed
solutions to the complex issues facing ARRL and amateur radio.

If re-elected, I will continue to represent the ARRL members of the
Midwest Division in the governance of ARRL to the best of my ability and
with the highest ethical standards.

ARRL Nebraska Section
Section Manager: Mr Matthew N Anderson, KA0BOJ

CHIP FOCUS 7-8 MAY 2009 piyush CB 0 April 30th 09 01:57 PM
Location of focus of feed horn? Russ Renaud Equipment 6 June 8th 05 10:41 PM
Focus on Tek 2236 Scope Rex Homebrew 5 September 8th 04 12:41 AM
Now he can focus overseas.... Nicolai Carpathia CB 0 June 14th 04 05:41 PM
Chris Poland Spotlight, New Marillion on Philadelphia Radio Saturday Night Gagliarchives Radio Philadelphia Broadcasting 0 May 22nd 04 06:26 PM