Old February 11th 21, 10:31 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default [RadioInsight] 1560 WFME New York To Suspend Operations Friday

RadioInsight

1560 WFME New York To Suspend Operations Friday

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...ations-friday/

Family Stations will suspend operations of 1560 WFME New York on Friday,
February 12.

The operator of the Christian Preaching Family Radio network sold the five
acre tower site of WFME to logistics real estate operator Prologis in
November 2020 for $51 million.

The station is running occasional sweepers explaining that 1560 will be
leaving the air, but that their programming will soon reappear in the
market on a new, not named signal. In interim Family Radio is directing
listeners to use their digital platforms or either one of their two
suburban signals 89.9 WFRS Smithtown on Long Island or 106.3 WFME-FM Mount
Kisco in northern Westchester County.

Family Stations acquired 1560 and the tower land from Radio Disney in 2015
for $12.9 million to return their programming to the market following the
2013 sale of 94.7 WFME Newark NJ to Cumulus for $40 million and 106.3 Mount
Kisco NY. Disney had purchased the station in 2007 from The New York Times
Company for $40 million after leasing the signal for nine years.

Florida Man Radio To Expand To Fort Walton Beach

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...-walton-beach/

JVC Media will flip its recently acquired Classic Rock 103.1 The Shark WZLB
Valparaiso/Fort Walton Beach FL to Talk Florida Man Radio on March 1.

WZLB will join the Orlando market 660 WDYZ Altamonte Springs/105.5 W288CJ
Oviedo and 104.9 WYGC High Springs/Gainesville in airing the Talk lineup.
Programming includes Bubba The Love Sponge in mornings. Justin Clark from
10am-12pm eastern, Ed Tyll from 12-3pm and Shannon Burke from 3-7pm.

JVC just closed on its $2,268,839 purchase of the four station Fort Walton
Beach cluster from Community Broadcasting. WZLB had a 2.4 share in the Fall
2020 Nielsen Audio ratings.

JVC Media of Florida, one of America’s largest independent and locally
owned broadcast and entertainment companies, announces the expansion of
their entertaining talk radio brand known as the Florida Man Radio Network
to JVC’s newly acquired Fort Walton Beach, FL cluster. Florida Man Radio
will be heard on WZLB 103.1FM with a target launch date of March 1st. WZLB
is the third affiliate of Florida Man Radio, in addition to the flagship
WDYZ 660AM/105.5FM in Orlando and WYGC 104.9FM in the Gainesville-Ocala
market. Florida Man Radio debuted in September 2019 to critical acclaim
and rabid audience reaction. The lineup for Florida Man Radio features The
Bubba the Love Sponge® Show 6-10am EST/5-9am CST, The Justin Clark Show
10am-Noon EST/9-11am CST, The Ed Tyll Show Noon-3pm EST/11am-2pm CST, and
The Shannon Burke Show from 3-7pm EST/2-6pm CST.

JVC’s CEO John Caracciolo says, “The vision for Florida Man Radio was of a
talk station that isn’t afraid to confront the big issues of the day while
not taking itself too seriously. We’ve invested in great personalities
that truly bring the attitude of “Unfiltered and Unafraid” – it’s fun to
listen to and we know it will be incredibly popular along the Emerald Coast
and throughout Northwest Florida!”

JVC Executive Shane Reeve adds “Our collection of successful radio
personalities on Florida Man Radio proves that talk radio is alive and
well. We have seen such an incredible response from both our listeners and
clients – this is just the beginning for the Florida Man Radio Network. We
are thrilled to bring exciting talk radio to the Emerald Coast.”

JVC Florida Director of Programming Stevie DeMann comments, “Our shows all
approach today’s volatile climate head-on with creativity, humor, and
compelling content. We don’t hold back. You’ll hear clearly that our
shows on Florida Man Radio unapologetically love America and support the
men and women of our military. That mindset fits like a glove throughout
Northwest Florida, especially with Eglin AFB and Hurlburt Field right in
our backyard!”.

Owner Of UK's Largest Commercial Radio Operator Acquires 8.8% Of iHeartMedia

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...f-iheartmedia/

UK investment company Honeycomb Investments Ltd has purchased 8.8% of
iHeartMedia according to SEC filings.

Honeycomb is funded by Michael Tabor, who is the financial backer of Global
Radio led by his son Ashley Tabor-King. The $117,600,414 purchase of
9,631,329 shares makes Honeycomb one of the largest individual shareholders
in iHeart. Global is the largest commercial radio operator in the United
Kingdom with brands that include Capital, Heart, LBC, Classic FM, Smooth
Radio, Radio X and many digital sub-brands of each.

A Honeycomb spokesperson told CampaignLive, “Honeycomb Investments Ltd has
acquired a circa 8.8% shareholding in iHeartMedia, as disclosed in our SEC
filing on Friday. IHeart is the largest radio business in the US and
Honeycomb is pleased to be able to have acquired this stake in a sector
that it knows well. Honeycomb’s investors, the Tabor family, own Global,
the largest radio and outdoor advertising company in the UK.”

The FCC gave approval to iHeartMedias petition to increase its foreign
ownership from beyond the 25% limit to up to 100% last November.

INSTANT INSIGHT: This deal will lead to immediate speculation of a further
deal between the two companies. What Global has built in the United Kingdom
is quite similar to what iHeartMedia has become here combining radio,
events and other advertising platforms. The purchase could be simply to get
access to iHeartMedias technology whether on the radio operations side,
digital advertising, or podcast network. Global has been very aggressive
since its 2007 founding in consolidating local radio station brands under
national brands and programming, something that iHeart has done on the
programming side but not as much yet with stations brands.

Jim Bohannon Show Added At WGN & KOMO

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...d-at-wgn-komo/

Westwood One has announced that the Jim Bohannon Show has been added at
Nexstar News/Talk 720 WGN Chicago and Sinclair News 1000 KOMO/97.7 KOMO-FM
Seattle.

WGN added Bohannon earlier this year and will air his show from 1-4am
making it the only syndicated product on their daily schedule. KOMO, which
features all-News programming from 4:30am-12am, will air Bohannon from
12-2am.

Westwood One’s Jim Bohannon Show has signed new affiliation agreements with
heritage stations WGN-AM in Chicago, and KOMO-AM/FM in Seattle. The show
can now be heard on over 275 stations nationwide.

The Jim Bohannon Show brings listeners a unique blend of breaking news,
special guests, and audience call-ins, as well as interesting features and
informative reports on a spectrum of topics. In addition to his weeknight
broadcast, Bohannon hosts his signature daily feature, “The Offbeat,” a
humorous look at something just a bit off the beaten track.

Bohannon, a member of the National Radio Hall of Fame, just marked his 28th
anniversary as host of the Jim Bohannon Show on Westwood One, the largest
audio network in the United States.

Im very gratified to be adding two legendary sets of call letters, WGN
Chicago and KOMO Seattle to the Jim Bohannon Show family of stations,” said
Bohannon. “What a perfect way to cap my recent 28th anniversary hosting
this nationwide evening chat. Thanks to our wonderful affiliates coast to
coast and our fine listeners, without whom Id merely have an expensive
hobby.”

Joel Shimer Rises To WODE Morning Co-Host

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...rning-co-host/

Cumulus Media Classic Rock 99.9 The Hawk WODE Easton/Allentown PA has
promoted Joel Shimer to morning co-host.

Shimer joined WODE in 2016 while in high school. He has served as producer
for Rick Michaels morning show since 2019 and will continue in that role
while being bumped up to co-host alongside Michaels.

CUMULUS MEDIA announces that it has promoted Joel Shimer to Co-Host for the
top-rated morning show in Allentown, PA, The HAWK Morning Show, on Classic
Rock station, 99.9 The HAWK/WODE-FM. Shimer debuted as Co-Host alongside
Rick Michaels, popular Morning Host and show lead, on Monday, February 8,
2021. He will continue to serve as Producer for the show. The program also
updates its brand to The HAWK Morning Show with Rick and Joel. Shimer
joined 99.9 The HAWK in late 2016 during his senior year of high school and
has served as Producer of The HAWK Morning Show since May 2019. The HAWK
Morning Show with Rick and Joel can be heard Monday through Friday from
5:30am-9:00am on 99.9 The HAWK.

Elizabeth Pembleton, Vice President/Market Manager, Cumulus Lehigh
Valley-Poconos, said: “I couldn’t be more excited about the evolution of
The HAWK Morning Show with Rick and Joel!*I’m so proud of Joel and he is
the perfect example of how young talent is being developed under the
tutelage of our incredibly talented programming team at Cumulus and his
amazing veteran morning host, Rick Michaels.

Sal Palazzolo, Program Director, 99.9 The HAWK/WODE-FM, commented: “Joel is
an excellent example of how hard work pays off. Joel joined our team back
in the fall of 2016 and worked his way through the ranks of Promotions,
Production, and Part-Time On-Air work, quickly becoming Producer of The
Hawk Morning Show with Rick Michaels. By pairing Joel on-air with our
heritage Morning Host, Rick Michaels, It will only help take The HAWK to
new heights! Once we put them together in the room, we knew we had
something truly special and unique. It’s great to curate the next
generation of talent like Joel to invest in the future of our business.” ***

*

Joel Shimer remarked: “I am thrilled to continue my contribution to the
success of The Hawk Morning Show. I still have to PINCH myself that I now
get to work on the show I grew up listening to every morning! Special
thanks to Sal Palazzolo, Jerry Padden and Liz Pembleton.“

Salem Launches La Patrona In Seattle

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...na-in-seattle/

Salem Media Group has flipped Spanish Christian Radio Luz 1680 KNTS Seattle
to Regional Mexican La Patrona 1680.

The station will feature the syndicated Don Cheto in mornings and El
Free-Guey con la Bronca in afternoons. Carlos Tovias, Program Director of
Salems Regional Mexican 93.1 El Rey KRYP Portland will add those duties for
KNTS as well, with KRYP midday host Jenny La Diva also pulling double duty.

The new format joins a growing Regional Mexican competition in
Seattle/Tacoma that includes Bustos Medias La Gran D 99.3 KDDS and La Z
102.9 KZTM and Sea-Mar Community Health Centers El Rey 1360 KKMO.

-Salem Media Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: SALM) announced today that the highly
rated show “Don Cheto al Aire” is now in the Seattle-Tacoma market through
its recently launched AM radio station: La Patrona 1680. La Patrona, a
regional Mexican music station, is offering the Latino community in the
Puget Sound a great choice for music and talk in Spanish.

La Patrona 1680 plays regional Mexican music, cumbia, and Latino favorites
like La Adictiva, Banda MS, Christian Nodal, La Trakalosa de Monterrey,
Gerardo Ortiz, La Arrollandora Banda el Limón, Banda El Recodo, and Los
Tucanes de Tijuana, among others. It also addresses issues that affect the
Latino residents in the Seattle-Tacoma market, such as immigration news,
health related stories and conversations about fitness, depression, obesity
and more; and relevant news affecting the whole country, like COVID19 and
unemployment.

“We are very happy to return with the regional Mexican music format to the
Seattle market, as part of our group of stations. We want to bring the best
music and content to our Latino community,” expressed Carlos Tov*as, La
Patrona 1680 Program Director.

The personalities featured on La Patrona 1680, besides beloved character,
“Don Cheto al Aire” (Mon-Sat 5-10am), range from well-known shows like “El
Free-Guey con la Bronca” (Mon-Fri 3-7pm), to Northwest favorites like Jenny
“La Diva” (Mon-Sat 10 to 3pm), and “El Pájaro” Ricardo Guerrero (Mon-Fri
7pm-Midnight).

WRHU Highlights World Radio Day Award Programming

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...d-programming/

To commemorate its 2021 World Radio Day Award, Hofstra Universitys 88.7
WRHU Hempstead NY will have a 72 hour celebration this weekend.

WRHU will interviews over 60 Hofstra alumni, radio hall of famers, and
musicians and bring in talent from radio stations across the world starting
on Friday, February 12 at 7am.

WRHU is participating in World Radio Day with a 72-hour broadcast in
celebration of WRHU receiving the 2021 UNESCO World Radio Day Award. WRHU
was the first student-run station to win the World Radio Day Award. It also
serves as flagship station for the NHLs New York Islanders.

Student reporters alongside veteran broadcasters will be collaborating with
stations across the world. The team also worked with music legends to
create this historic broadcast. This will honor the global significance of
local radio. The multi-platform event will highlight WRHU’s diverse
programming during the pandemic. Interviews with over 60 Hofstra alumni,
radio hall of famers, and musical super stars will be showcased.
Programming will begin on Friday, Feb. 12 at 7a.m. and will continue
throughout the weekend.

Featured partner stations include Bush Radio 89.5 Capetown, Pocono 96.7
Stroudsburg, Long Island News Radio 103.9 Riverhead, KBOO 90.7 Portland,
ICRT FM Taipei, Green Giant FM Manila, Florida Man Radio 660 AM Orlando,
Wall Radio 94.1 Middletown, and KKHJ 93.1 American Samoa.