Old April 30th 21, 10:28 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default [RadioInsight] Metro Radio Inc. Acquires WINC-FM

RadioInsight

Metro Radio Inc. Acquires WINC-FM

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...uires-winc-fm/

After selling their longtime 92.5 Winchester frequency to Educational Media
Foundation last fall (now Air 1 WAIW), Centennial Broadcasting is selling
Hot AC 105 WINC-FM 104.9 WZFC Strasburg and 105.5 WINC-FM Berryville VA to
Metro Radio Inc. for $225,000.

Metro Radio currently owns 730 WTNT Alexandria and 1460 WKDV Manassas VA in
the DC suburbs along with multiple translators in the region all of which
are leased out to other operators.

Conservative Talk 1400 WINC Winchester is not part of the deal and stays
with Centennial.

Centennial sold 92.5 WINC-FM to EMF last October for $1.75 million. It then
moved WINC-FMs Hot AC programming to the 104.9 and 105.5 simulcast. 104.9
previously simulcasted 1400 WINC, while 105.5 was Country B105 WXBN.

WLNK Relaunching As Mix 107.9

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...-as-mix-107-9/

With the departure today of the syndicated Bob Sheri from Radio One Hot AC
107.9 The Link WLNK Charlotte after nearly 30 years at the station, the
station will rebrand as Mix 107.9 at 3pm today.

Afternoon hosts Matt Harris and Ramona Halloway, who have been at the
station since 2003, will move to mornings starting Monday, May 3. Drew
Parham, who previously worked in the market at CHR Kiss 95.1 WNKS and
Country 103.7 WSOC, will host middays. Former Star 94 WSTR Atlanta midday
host Madison James will join WLNK as afternoon host. Current midday host
Holly Haze will shift to nights.

WLNK currently is tied for seventh in the market with a 4.6 share.

Positioning as Charlottes Best Mix of the 90s, 2000s and Today, the station
launched its new brand with Montell Jordan This Is How We Do It, AJR Bang,
No Doubt Underneath It All, Maroon 5 Memories, and Rhianna Pon de Replay.

Marsha Landess, Regional Vice President at Radio One, announced today the
launch of WLNK MIX 107.9 at Radio One Charlotte. The first official
broadcast begins at 3:00 p.m. The new format will be anchored by Matt
Ramona In the Morning (6 a.m.-10 a.m.) followed by Drew Parham (10 a.m.-3
p.m.), Madison James (3 p.m.-7 p.m.), and Holly Haze (7 p.m.- Midnight)!
The line-up demonstrates Radio One’s commitment to bring the best talent to
the Charlotte community.

“As people head back to work and our lives return to some normalization,
now is the perfect time to launch MIX 107.9,” said Terry Foxx, Brand
Manager for WLNK. “People will relate to the music, and we’ve put together
some of the best talent in the industry. We will be live and local in
Charlotte every day!”

“We asked the Charlotte listeners what they wanted from a radio station,
and Mix 107.9 is a direct result of what those listeners told us,” said
Marsha Landess. “We’re excited to bring engaging and entertaining on-air
talent combined with the best upbeat MIX of music from the ’90s 2000s and
today to the airwaves of Charlotte. Our listeners are going to love
listening to the music. Our clients are going to love the results it brings
to their businesses. The station will continue to have a large commitment
to community service and making a difference in the lives of those living
in our community. It truly is the best MIX Charlotte has told us they
wanted.”

MIX 107.9 has lots of great programming perks planned for listeners. Among
them, each weekday, the station will host three 24 song sweeps throughout
the day! The station will also maintain a strong community presence and
continue to exemplify Radio One’s stellar commitment of service to its
local communities.

Lost Factor: Bob Dylan vs. Paul Simon

https://radioinsight.com/ross/206861...vs-paul-simon/

Years ago, I had a conversation with a co-worker who believed that Paul
Simon, not Bob Dylan, would be the artist for the ages. Dylan was the
critics’ favorite, but Simon was the people’s poet. Until last week, I
hadn’t felt the need to mediate this one. I had reason to believe they
would both retrieved from my music collection from time to time.

By now, the more public, large-scale version of this discussion, prompted
by the sale of Simon’s catalog, is very much last week’s Twitter dust-up.
But after a year of “Lost Factor” articles looking at how songs endure, I
was interested in what airplay had to tell us about how the two catalogs,
most famous for their 45-to-55-year-old compositions, were holding up at
radio so far.

If you care at all about one critic’s harsh judgment, you probably don’t
consider airplay to be the arbiter of worthiness. The “Lost Factor” — my
measure of the trajectory between chart points then and radio silence now —
can be equally unkind to the reviled and the revered. The 1984 rankings
show a virtual tie between “To All the Girls I’ve Loved Before” by Julio
Iglesias & Willie Nelson and “They Don’t Know” by Tracey Ullman; if you’re
reading this article, the latter has a strong chance of being a favorite.

The broadcast radio stations measured by BDSradio are mostly top-100 market
stations with significant audiences. SiriusXM’s “‘60s on 6” and “‘70s on 7”
channels, where many people wanting to hear either artist on the radio
might listen first, are unmonitored. But monitored airplay does tell a
story of what endures with a wider audience, whether it’s the result of a
music test or a programmer’s guess.

If it’s just spins over the last seven days you’re looking at, here’s what
BDS shows, along with some admittedly provocative other benchmarks:

Bill Withers – 570 U.S. spins
Bob Dylan – 575 spins
Elvis Presley – 770 spins
Aretha Franklin – 1,000 spins
Paul Simon/Simon & Garfunkel – 1,200 spins
Isley Brothers – 1,400 spins (for anybody who watched their Verzuz faceoff
with Earth, Wind & Fire this week)
Jimi Hendrix – 2,300 spins
Survivor – 2,400 spins
Earth, Wind & Fire – 2,600 spins
Bruce Springsteen – 3,400 spins
Backstreet Boys – 3,500 spins
Beatles – 4,700 spins
Fleetwood Mac – 6,800 spins*
Prince – 7,300 spins
Bon Jovi – 10,500 spins
Journey – 11,400 spins
Queen – 11,800 spins
Michael Jackson – 12,900 spins
Taylor Swift – 22,000 spins
Justin Bieber – 40,300 spins
Ariana Grande – 46,100 spins

Recency matters with airplay (and, to be fair, today’s artists aren’t
facing the test of time yet). So does catalog. Between solo and duo work,
Simon had more Top 40 hit singles to begin with, at least in terms of songs
big enough to make the Billboard year-end top 100. (That said, nearly 2,100
of Survivor’s spins are driven by “Eye of the Tiger” alone.)*

It’s also worth knowing that the Dylan song that had become his most
enduring at radio, “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door,” saw many stations switch to
the Guns N’ Roses version in recent years, which limits Dylan’s own spins
but affirms his catalog. Same with the Classic Rock airplay of Jimi
Hendrixs All Along the Watchtower. (Then again, Mrs. Robinson likely
endures today in part because of the recency of the Lemonheads 90s cover.)

“Lost Factor” measures not just airplay now, but airplay proportionate to
how big a song was at the time. Our benchmark for enduring airplay is
typically a “Lost Factor” of 1.0 or lower. It’s important to remember that
the songs that have topped our annual calculations often have scores of 50
or higher; the No. 1 song of 1960, “Theme from ‘A Summer Place’” had a
score of 100 for the week measured.* *

Paul Simon/Simon & Garfunkel had more and bigger hit singles than Bob
Dylan. Simon had 11 songs that made the year-end top 100; Dylan had three.
“Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” didn’t make 1973’s year-end chart. Neither did
Simon’s most recent hit single, “You Can Call Me Al.”

But having more songs that did make the year-end charts means that Simon is
the artist with more songs above a 1.0 — seven such songs compared to
Dylan’s one. “Bridge Over Troubled Water” was the No. 1 song of 1970, but
received only 40 monitored spins last week, giving it a Lost Factor of 2.5.
(For the week during which I first measured 1970 last year, it had fewer
spins and a Lost Factor of 3.7.)

That said, Simon also has more songs below a 1.0 as well, meaning that they
outperform their initial placing. “Kodachrome” is lowest with an 0.3 Lost
Factor, followed by “Cecilia” with an 0.4. Without being able to measure
“Knockin’ On Heaven’ Door,” Dylan’s most enduring song is “Like A Rolling
Stone” (0.86).

When it comes to Earth, Wind & Fire vs. the Isley Brothers, the latter
group had more multi-format radio hits. Only one (Serpentine Fire) is above
LF1, while September is at a not-surprisingly-low 0.02. All five of the
Isleys entries on the year-end Top 100 are at a 1.0 or higher. That said,
the Isleys have the more extensive catalog of album cuts that were played
like singles at R&B radio, but never charted, as evidenced by seeing Voyage
to Atlantis light up Twitter last Sunday night.

The current endurance of an artist who had their hits in the 60s or 70s is
not the test of “hundreds of years from now.” Neither is it insignificant,
when it’s hard for almost any ‘60s artist to remain front-and-center,
especially without Classic Rock radio, the broadcast format that still most
plays that decade, and which has discarded much of the singer/songwriter
aspect of the format.

The sale of their catalogs will likely help both Dylan and Simon over the
years; it’s that sort of catalog promotion that drives movie and TV syncs,
which is one of the ways the needle moves as airplay trails off over time.
There are more organic opportunities now for older titles, but its worth
noting that even last years much-discussed TikTok moment for Fleetwood Macs
Dreams involved a song that never left the radio, in part because its a
song that still has a chance of being heard today by a listener who didnt
grow up with it. Then again, the drum battle and final coda of Simons The
Obvious Child would make for some pretty good viral video moments, too.

Zannie Glover Moves To Mornings; J Steele Returns As APD/Afternoon Host At
105.1 The Bounce

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...on-air-lineup/

Beasley Media Classic Hip Hop 105.1 The Bounce WMGC Detroit has announced a
new programming lineup following last months exit of morning host Deongello
‘Gello’ Vanorsby.

Zannie Glover, who joined WMGC and sister Adult R&B “105.9 Kiss-FM” WDMK as
Program Director last December, will permanently move from afternoons to
mornings after filling-in for the past month.

Jonel Jaska, who hosts weekends on Beasley Rock 101.1 WRIF, will join
Glover in mornings as producer. He will continue with his duties at WRIF as
well.

Jonathan J Steele will return to the station as APD/afternoon host. Steele
held those positions until resigning last October. He continued to track
nights remotely after departing the station.

Beasley Media Group announces Zannie Glover will transition from afternoon
to morning drive as the official Host of the “Morning BOUNCE” in the Motor
City. In addition, he will retain his position as Program Director for
105.1 the BOUNCE and 105.9 KISS-FM. Glover will begin his new role
immediately.

In addition, J Steele returns full-time hosting the afternoon drive show on
the BOUNCE as well as assume the Assistant Program Director
responsibilities for the station.

Jonel Jaska will also move from part-time to full-time producer for the
“Morning BOUNCE” as well as continue his on-air responsibilities at
Beasley’s legendary active rock station, 101 WRIF-FM.

“The energy of The BOUNCE is infectious,” said Beasley Media Group Vice
President of National Content and Director of Detroit Programming, Scott
Jameson. “Detroit’s Throwback party station is positioned for strong growth
with these key talent upgrades.”

WDNG Flips To Classic Rock

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...-classic-rock/

AC My 95 1450 WDNG/95.1 W236CQ Anniston AL fliiped to Classic Rock 95.1 The
Mountain on Friday, April 23.

Positioning as Anniston-Oxfords Classic Station, the station is playing up
its proximity to Talladega Superspeedway airing all three of NASCARs series
races and MRNs suite of daily and weekly programming.

The change follows Lake Broadcastings LMA of the station from Stacks Media.
Lake Broadcasting also owns Kowalga Country 97.5 WKGA Goodwater and AC B101
1340 WFEB/100.9 W265DV Sylacauga.

Select Live365 Stations To Be Made Available On iHeartRadio App

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...eartradio-app/

Live365 is excited to announce that beginning today, select Live365
stations will now be available on iHeartRadio, the free all-in-one live
digital radio, streaming music, and podcast listening platform, increasing
visibility and discoverability of Live365 stations and the Live365 network
overall.

“As we focus on growing the Live365 listening network, we are excited to
announce we now have an agreement in place to list select Live365 stations
on iHeartRadio’s distribution network,” said Live365 General Manager Jason
Stoddard. “Being able to showcase some of our standout stations on iHeart
is a testament to the hard work our broadcasters put in to programming
quality stations that are not traditionally represented on the radio dial.
We will continue to work with world-class distribution companies to help
listeners discover the top-notch content available on Live365.”

This agreement is one of the first steps in Live365’s efforts to expand its
listening network, as Live365 focuses on ensuring listeners everywhere have
the opportunity to discover the ever-growing, diverse content available on
Live365. Listeners can tune in now to Flood FM, ShaqFu Radio, Smooth Jazz
Florida, Amazing Hope Radio, Jack Sonni Guitar Radio, and DopeRadioFM.com
on iHeartRadio.

Listeners can visit iheart.com/apps to download iHeartRadio on their
favorite device and tune in anywhere they are. Those interested in
potentially getting listed on iHeartRadio through Live365 can reach out to
Live365’s Sales team at .

Jenny Valliere Joins WTMX As MD/Midday Host

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/f...d-midday-host/

Hubbard Hot AC 101.9 The Mix WTMX Chicago has announced the appointment of
Jenny Valliere as Music Director and midday host.

Valliere has spent her entire career at CHR Z102.9 KZIA Cedar Rapids IA
where she began as an intern in 2012. After a stint as overnight host, she
moved up to afternoons in 2014 and then Program Director in June 2018.
Valliere was also Miss Iowa USA 2018 and served as on-field host for the
Cedar Rapids Kernals.

Hubbard Radio Chicago’s 101.9 THE MIX Vice President of Brand and Content,
Jimmy Steal, announced today the appointment of Jenny Valliere as On-Air
Midday Personality / Music Director at WTMX (101.9 THE MIX).* Valliere
comes to Hubbard Radio Chicago from Z102.9 KZIA Cedar Rapids, IA where she
served as*Program Director, Music Director and Afternoon On-Air Personality.

Valliere says, “I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to join 101.9
THE MIX. Working in the Chicago market is something Ive dreamed of since I
started in radio. I cant thank Jimmy Steal and Hubbard Chicago enough for
this incredible opportunity.

Vice President Market Manager Jeff England added, “After an extensive,
nationwide search, we were pleased to find someone of Jenny’s talent right
here in the Midwest.* The combination of programming and on air experience
will make for the perfect fit Middays and serve as a great asset in the
programming department”.*

Station Sales Week Of 4/30

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...-week-of-4-30/

Dexter Broadcasting sells Country 1590 KDEX and 102.3 KDEX-FM Dexter MO to
Emry Palmer Johnsons KDEX Inc. for $150,000.

The estate of Richard Comras sells Country 92.7 KYCT Shasta Lake/Redding CA
to Cal Hunters Independence Rock Media for $60,000. KYCT will be the
companys only station in the Redding market as it joins the companys
pending acquisitions in Chico, Red Bluff, and Susanville CA from the
various holding companies that were held by the late Thomas Huth.

Colorado Public Radio is trading Public News/Talk 1230 KKPC/101.9 K270CM
Pueblo CO to Marcos Rodriguez Colorado Radio Marketing for AC Your Radio
96.7 KUUR Carbondale CO and its four translators: 93.9 K230AZ Glenwood
Springs, 96.3 K242BL Glenwood Springs, 102.9 K275AR New Castle, and 107.7
K299AC Glenwood Springs.

Paulino Bernal Evangelism sells Spanish Christian 92.1 KCZO Carrizo Springs
TX to Cantico Nuevo Ministry for $100,000. The buyer operates a network of
Spanish Christian stations in the New York City area.
Translator Sales

Family Stations sells 89.3 W207AG Freeland PA to Family Life Ministries for
$10,000. W207AG will rebroadcast the buyers 91.5 WCIM Shenandoah PA.

Family Life Ministries has also withdrawn the $500 sale of 89.5 W208BQ
Clarks Summit/Scranton PA to Telikoja Broadcasting Corporation that was
submitted last month.

WHRO To Begin Operating WFOS Saturday

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...wfos-saturday/

Hampton Roads Educational Telecommunications Association will begin
operating Variety 88.7 WFOS Chesapeake/Norfolk VA on Saturday, May 1.

The group, which owns Public News/Talk 89.5 WHRV and Classical 90.3 WHRO-FM
Norfolk, had WFOS donated to them in March. Chesapeake Public Schools,
which currently owns the station, announced its intent to stop funding the
station last year after dropping their student programs in 2015. The
station currently airs a mix of Oldies, Blues, Bluegrass, Classical and
Carolina Beach music with paid employees.

WHRO/WHRV has not announced its full programming plans for the station.

WHRO Public Media has filed a license transfer agreement with the FCC to
own and operate WFOS-FM, previously owned and operated by Chesapeake Public
Schools. The license transfer agreement is pending approval. Additionally,
WHRO has entered into a management and programming agreement to begin
operating the station beginning May 1, 2021. As a station with a long
history that is rooted in the community, WHRO is working with the current
WFOS staff to ensure a smooth transition.

“We are thrilled to keep WFOS as a viable station in our market.
Programming is still being determined but our goal is to provide a robust
program schedule that will stay true to WFOS’s spirit, history and
mission,” said Bert Schmidt, president and CEO of WHRO Public Media.

“As the first public school FM station in Virginia and one of the nation’s
oldest public school radio stations, we are pleased WHRO Public Media will
write the next chapters in WFOS’ storied history,” said Dr. Jared A.
Cotton, superintendent of Chesapeake Public Schools.