Old January 15th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.radio.info,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx
Tedd Mirgliotta (KB8NW)

Default Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #743

SB DX @ WW KB8NW $OPDX.743
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin No. 743

The Ohio/Penn DX PacketCluster
DX Bulletin No. 743
BID: $OPDX.743
January 16, 2006
Editor Tedd Mirgliotta, KB8NW
Provided by BARF80.ORG (Cleveland, Ohio)

Thanks to the Northern Ohio Amateur Radio Society, Northern Ohio DX
Association, Ohio/Penn PacketCluster Network, AB5K & the AR TelNet
Clusters Network, K1XN & GoList, NC1L, NG3K, W3TN, W3UR & The Daily DX,
K4UEE, K4VUD, N4AA & QRZ DX, N4BAA, N7NG/1, N7OU, K8ND, N8PR, K8YSE,
DL1EK & The DX News Letter, DL3APO, EA5KY, F5NQL & UFT, F6AJA & Les
Nouvelles DX, F8DVD, I1JQJ/IK1ADH & 425 DX News, IK7JWX, IZ8CCW, JI6KVR
& JA-IOTA Islands News, OE1EMS, OE3JAG, OH2BN, OH2HAN, SM5DQC, VA3RJ &
ICPO and VE6LB/VA6XDX for the following DX information.

DXCC COUNTRY/ENTITY REPORT: According to the AR-Cluster Network for the
week of Sunday, 8th/January, through Sunday, 15th/January there were 211
countries active. Countries available: 3A, 3B8, 3B9, 3W, 4J, 4L, 4S,
4X, 5A, 5B, 5H, 5N, 5R, 5T, 5V, 5X, 5Z, 6W, 6Y, 7Q, 7X, 8P, 8R, 9A, 9G,
9H, 9J, 9K, 9M2, 9M6, 9N, 9V, 9Y, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A9, AP, BV,
BY, C3, C6, C9, CE, CE0Y, CE9, CM, CN, CP, CT, CT3, CU, CX, CY9, D2,
DL, DU, EA, EA6, EA8, EA9, EI, EK, EL, EP, ER, ES, ET, EU, EX, EY, F,
FG, FH, FK, FM, FO, FR, FY, G, GD, GI, GJ, GM, GU, GW, HA, HB, HB0, HC,
HI, HK, HL, HP, HR, HS, HZ, I, IS, J2, J3, JA, JD/M, JD/o, JT, JW, JY,
K, KG4, KH6, KL, KP2, KP4, LA, LU, LX, LY, LZ, OA, OD, OE, OH, OH0, OK,
OM, ON, OX, OY, OZ, P2, P4, PA, PJ2, PY, PZ, S5, S7, S9, SM, SP, ST,
SU, SV, SV5, SV9, T30, T7, T8, T9, TA, TF, TG, TI, TJ, TK, TR, TT, TU,
TY, TZ, UA, UA2, UA9, UK, UN, UR, V3, V4, V5, V7, V8, VE, VK, VK9N,
VP2E, VP2V, VP5, VP8, VP8/h, VP9, VQ9, VR, VU, XE, XT, XU, XZ, YB, YI,
YK, YL, YN, YO, YS, YU, YV, Z2, Z3, ZA, ZB, ZC4, ZD7, ZD9, ZF, ZK1/s,
ZL, ZP, ZS

* PLEASE NOTE: The report "could" contain "Pirate/SLIM" operations or
more likely a "BUSTED CALLSIGN". As always, you never know - "Work
First Worry Later" (WFWL).

3Y0X NEWS (Update: PRESS RELEASE 2006-5). Ralph/KØIR and Bob/K4UEE,
Peter I DXpedition co-leaders, sent out the following press release dated
January 10th, 2006: "We are pleased to announce that the 3Y0X DXpedition
has been given a substantial grant by the ARRL/Colvin Award. This is a
prestigious award and is important to our overall DXpedition financing.
Our special thanks to the Awards Committee.
Our twenty-two-man team now includes Wayne, KU4V and Robert, SP5XVY.
Their special expertise rounds out the team.
Our sea container containing all of our equipment, and most of the
team's personal gear is aboard the vessel DAP Mares which is now in the
S. Shetland Islands. Our foodstuffs are also aboard after being purchased
in Punta Arenas, Chile. The team will be reunited with their equipment
and gear on or about February 2nd to begin the 4 day voyage to Peter I.
Remember these dates are target dates and weather dependent.
The team has been assigned the special Chilean Antarctic callsign of
XR9A for use to/from Peter I. We hope to be QRV from Punta Arenas for a
few days and then maritime mobile to and from Peter I. There is also a
possibility that the team will also be QRV from the S. Shetlands for a
few days after the Peter I DXpedition is complete.
Our website, www.peterone.com, will be updated regularly and should be
checked often. The website should be considered the best source of updated
and correct DXpedition news direct from the DXpedition leaders.
We are currently designing a special "souvenir " QSL card to commemorate
your QSOs. Please QSL via N2OO.
Please visit our website often as we have worked hard to enable you to
be a part of this incredible adventure. We are seeking financial support,
so consider a donation please! Pay Pal is accepted!"

4Z, ISRAEL. Alex, 4Z5KJ, will be active as 4Z5J in the CQ WW 160M CW
Contest (January 28-29th) as a Single-Op entry. QSL via W0MM.

6O, SOMALIA (Just A Reminder!). Eight Italian operators will operate from
Somalia for two weeks starting January 19th. Operators mentioned a
Alfeo/I1HJT, Silvano/I2YSB, Carlo/IK1AOD, Carlo/IK1HJS, Vini/IK2CIO,
Angelo/IK2CKR, Marcello/IK2DIA and Adriano/IK2GNW. They will operate as
6O0N (in memory of Adam Nuur Maxamed Islam) with three stations on all
bands SSB, CW and RTTY. QSL via I2YSB, direct (Silvano Borsa,
Vle Capettini 1, 27036 Mortara, Italy) or by the bureau (E-mail requests
for bureau cards can be sent to , a form is available on
the Web site). The pilot for the operation will be Gianni, IS0VSG
(
). Further information, updates, pictures and logs will
be posted to:
http://www.i2ysb.com

9N, NEPAL. Operators Stig/LA7JO and Pop/YU7EF will be active as 9N7JO
during the CQ WW 160M CW Contest (January 28-29th) as a Multi-Op entry.
QSL via address on QRZ.com.

9Q, DEM. REP. OF CONGO. Pierre-Luc, F5HRH, will be active as 9Q/F5HRH/p
from January 22-28th. No other details were provided (bands/modes). QSL
via his home callsign.

C6, BAHAMAS. Operators Bob/N4BP (C6AKQ), Kevin/K4PG (C6APG), Bruce/W4OV
(C6AOV) and Pete/N8PR (C6AHR) will each operate in the ARRL DX CW Contest
(February 18-19th) as Single-Band entries on 160, 80, 40, and 15 meters.
The group will be there on Monday, February 13th, and probably will be on
the air by Tuesday. They will try to operate extensively on the WARC bands
before the contest. Plans are to leave on February 20th. QSL to their home
callsigns via QRZ.com.

C6, BAHAMAS. Steve, AK0M, will be active as C6ASB from Abaco Island
NA-080), February 15-22nd. He will participate in the ARRL DX CW Contest
(February 18-19th), category not known at this time. QSL via AK0M (QRZ.com).

CE3, CHILE. Salvatore, IZ8CLM, is active as CE3/IZ8CLM through January
18th. Sal is in Chile for his job but will be on the air during his free
time on HF. He was heard this past week on 20/17/15 meters SSB.

CE0, JUAN FERNANDEZ ISLANDS (Update). The CE0Z team reports everything
is a go for their January 21-28th operation. All operators are confirmed,
equipments and antennas are ready to go and airplanes tickets and the
hostelling are confirmed. The list of operators a Guillermo/XQ3SA
(Team Leader), Maite/CE3BYL, Gerard/F2JD, Pedro/CE3BFZ, Hector/CE3VII,
Dave/K4SV, Bill/N2WB, Bob/N6OX, Ignacio/CE3GFN, Sergio/CE3GL and Juan/
CE3GRG. Suggested frequencies a
CW - 1820, 3540, 7020, 10110, 14040, 18080, 21040, 24890, 28040 and 50110
SSB - 1840, 3795, 7060, 14195, 18145, 21295, 24945, 28495 and 50110 kHz
For the latest news visit: http://www.ce3bsq.cl/ce0z/index.html
The log will be put online at: http://www.ce3bsq.cl/ce0z/log.htm
QSL Managers a
N2OO - ROBERT W SCHENCK, PO BOX 345, TUCKERTON NJ 08087, USA
F6AJA - JEAN MICHEL DUTHILLEUL, 515 RUE DU PETIT HEM, 59870 BOUVIGNIES,
FRANCE
CE3BSQ - RADIOCLUB MANQUEHUE, P.O. BOX 27064, SANTIAGO, CHILE

CT3, MADEIRA ISLAND. Karl, OE3JAG, will be active from Madeira (AF-014
Grid Loc.: IM12) as CT3/OE3JAG between May 15-22nd. His activity will
be QRP with dipole or a long wire mainly on CW, PSK and RTTY on 20 and
30 meters. QSL via his home callsign. Visit his Web page at:
http://www.oe3jag.com

CU2 & V31, AZORES AND BELIZE. Martti/OH2BH and Pertti/OH2PM will be
cruising in the Caribbean with their ladies to activate Belize in both
ARRL International DX Contests as V31BH and V31PP, respectively, as a
Multi-Operator/All-Bands entry (CW: February 18-19th and SSB: March 4-5th).
On the way to the Caribbean, Martti will stop over in the Azores to activate
CU2A in the CQ 160-Meter CW Contest (January 28-29th). QSLs to their
respective home callsigns.

DXCC NEWS..............
Bill Moore, NC1L, ARRL DXCC Branch Manager, informs OPDX that the
following operations has been approved for DXCC credit:

D2DX - Angola, current operation as of December 15th, 2004
KH9/W0CN - Wake Island, September 17-28th, 2005

RECENT KP5 OPERATIONS - As of Monday, January 9th, Bill Moore, NC1L,
ARRL DXCC Branch Manager, informed James, W0WOI: "We have heard
absolutely nothing from them. We do need to see that they had
permission to go there and we hope to hear from them soon."

FG, GUADELOUPE (Update). Jacques, F6HMJ, will be here from February
3rd to March 7th. He will use the callsign TO2FG from February 17th to
March 3rd. Look for him to use the TO2ANT callsign during the 3rd Antarctic
Actiivity Week (AAW - February 20-26th). During his stay he will try to
be active from La Desirade Island. Activity will be on 80-10 meters on
CW, SSB and RTTY. QSL via F6HMJ.

FT5W & FT5X, CROZET AND KERGUELEN ISLANDS. Gildas, TU5KG, is heading back
to the Austral Sea (in Southern Indian Ocean) on a fishing boat. He is
expected to be around the Kerguelen Island (FT5X) area between January 15th
and February 3rd. After that, the boat is going to travel around the Crozet
Island area until early March before heading back around Kerguelen area
again until the end of March. Gildas is expected to operate as FT5XP from
Kerguelen and FT5WK (probably) from Crozet.

GJ2/MJ0, JERSEY. Rich, K2WR, will be active as GJ2A during the CQ WW 160M
CW Contest (January 28-29th) as a Single-Op entry. QSL via K2WR (for USA)
and GJ3DVC (for non-USA). Before the contest look for activity on CW and
SSB by Rich as MJ0AWR. Send E-mail for skeds to:

HB0, LEICHTENSTEIN (Topband Activity). If you still need HB0 on topband
look for the following operators to be active between January 25th and
February 2nd: Danny/N4EXA (HB0/T93M), Boris (HB0/T93Y), Mario/DJ2MX
(HB0/T94DX), Braco/OE1EMS (HB0/T94JJ) and Ivek (HB0/T96Q). The group will
be active during the CQ WW DX 160m CW Contest (January 28-29th) using
the callsign HB0/T94DX. Before and after the contest they will operate
with 3 stations on all HF bands but will focus on 160 and 80 meters. They
will use vertical, dipole´s, loop´s (K9AY; maybe beverage RX) on the low
bands. The QTH will be the same as the recent HB0/DL2OBO operation.

HC2, ECUADOR. Luis, EA7OC, will be active from here between February
10-27th. He has all the correct papers but doesn't know what his callsign
will be until he arrives in Guayaquil. It will probably be HC2/EA7OC. His
activity will be mainly from Guayaquil, but he hopes to be active from
other cities in the Guayas Province. QSL via EA7OC, directly or via
the EA Bureau.

HS0, THAILAND (Topband Activity). Ian, HS0ZGL, announced that he will
be active in the CQ WW 160M CW Contest (January 28-29th) as a Single-Op/
Low-Power entry. The Thai band is only between 1.800-1.825 MHz. QSL
via HS0ZGL.

IOTA NEWS.....................
SA-064. (Correction!) In last week's OPDX.742, we had the wrong IOTA
listed (SA-046) for Marco's, CE6TBN/7, activity this past
weekend from Las Huichas Island (DICE ICE-705). QSL via CE6TBN.

KP3, PUERTO RICO. Brooke, N2BA, will be active as KP3/N2BA in the ARRL
DX CW Contest (February 18-19th) as Single-Op/All-Band/Low-Power entry.
QSL via WA3RHW. Look for his XYL Eve, N2GSG, before and after the contest.

MJ, JERSEY. Operators Jim/N1NK, Craig/K3PLV, Pete/K8PT and Tom/W8JWN
will be active here signing MJ/homecall from March 15-18th. Bands and
modes of activity were not provided. QSL via their home cllsigns.

OH0, ALAND ISLAND. Operators OH2NAK, OH3BHL, OH6GAZ, OH6HJE, OH6HZH,
OH6KTS, OH6OKSA, OH9MDV and OH9MM will be active as OH0Z in the CQ WW
WPX RTTY Contest (February 11-12th) as a Multi-2 entry. QSL via W0MM.
Depending on the conditions, they may try Multi/Multi.

P4, ARUBA. Paolo, I2UIY, will be active as P40G during the CQ WW RTTY
WPX Contest (February 11-12th) and the ARRL DX CW Contest (February
18-19th). Operation class is to be determined (TBD). QSL via I2EOW.

PACIFIC 2006 DXPEDITION TOUR. Members of the Central German Contest Group
will be heading to the Pacific between January 14th and March 3rd, and
plan to activate several different island. Operators mentioned are Wolfgang
(Wulf)/DL1AWI, Matthias (Mat)/DL5XU and Erik/DL9AWI. Their planned scheduled
is:
January 15-28th - From Ua Pou Island (OC-027) (Marquesa Islands, FO-023)
February 1-14th - From Raivavae (OC-114) (Austral Islands, FO-122)
After February 14th - They will travel to the Auckland (OC-036), New
Zealand, and spend the rest of the time there.
Callsigns will be announced later, but they will be active as ZL/homecall/m
from New Zealand. They will try to run two stations using a FT-847, FT-890
or IC-706 MKII, w/Amp 800w into Antenna tuners, vertical antennas as well
as three fiberglass rods and plenty of wire for beverage antennas. Activity
will have an emphasis on the lower bands, especially 160m. Their Web site
will be updated frequently at:
http://www.radioklub.de/cgcg
QSL cards for these activities all go via DL3APO.

PJ2, NETHERLAND ANTILLES. Members of the Caribbean Contesting Consortium
(CCC) will activate Signal Point Station on Curacao during the last few
weeks in January. Look for Joe/W9JUV and Bill/W9VA to be active from Signal
Point Station between January 19-27th. QSL via their home callsign. Also,
look for Jeff, K8ND, to be operating from the Signal Point Station between
January 23-31st. He activity will include the CQWW 160 Meter CW Contest
(January 28-29th) as PJ2T and as a Single-Op entry. Before and after the
contest Jeff will be focusing on 80 and 40 meters and testing receiving
antennas on 160 meters. QSL PJ2/K8ND via LoTW or his home callsign. QSL
PJ2T via LoTW or N9AG as always. Visit the CCC Web site at:
http://www.pj2t.org
LAST MINUTE ADDITION: Members of the Caribbean Contesting Consortium
(CCC) will activate Signal Point Station on Curacao during the ARRL DX
SSB Contest (March 4-5th) as a Multi-2 entry. Operators mentioned a
W9JUV, NW0L, W0CG, K8ND, WB9Z, KB0US, KB0UT and KB0VVT. QSL via N9AG.

QSL INFO AND NEWS....................
LOTW WAS OFF-LINE THIS PAST WEEKEND. Wayne Mills, N7NG/1, ARRL Manager
of the Membership Services Department, announced in the middle of
last week: "The LoTW system will be off-line for maintenance this
coming weekend. It will be shut down at 8:00 AM EST (1300Z) on Saturday,
January 14TH, and will return to service at 8:00 AM (1300Z) on Monday,
January 16TH."

3C2MV BUREAU QSLS. Gerry, VE6LB/VA6XDX, reports that all the bureau
cards for 3C2MV have been processed and sent to the VE outgoing bureau.
He states, "Thanks to RAC and Nenad, VE3EXY, for handling these bureau
cards as well as Rich, VE6AX, for helping with the processing. All
special PX cards for VE6JO have been cleared as well. Regular VE6JO and
UA6U/VE6JO cards were processed as well but the older logs were not
clear on already sent cards. If you don't get you cards for any VE6JO
operation please resubmit to VE6LB at the QRZ.com address."

Tom, DL2OBO, reports that the log and pictures for his recent HB0
operation is now online at: http://www.hosenose.com/dl2obo

KG4SB QSL INFO. Jose Castillo, N4BAA, reports that he now has a QSL
Manager to assist him with QSLs. QSLs can go to Jose or via Rod, EA7JX,
for all 2006 KG4SB contacts. Either QSL route will be good for ALL QSOs!

Alfredo, IK7JWX, informs OPDX that he is the QSL Manager for the Sazan
Island (EU-169) ZA0IS and ZA0/IK7JWX activity between December 18-23rd
"ONLY" (via the bureau, direct, or E-mail at: ). For
other dates and other ZA callsign (ZA1KP - ZA5G - ecc...), QSL direct
to ZA1FD: Fatos Demeti, P.O.Box 1439, Tirane, Albania.

S9, SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE. Jose/CT1APE and Filipe/CT2GLO will once again
be active from Ilheu das Rolas (AF-023) between January 18-28th. The
callsign they will use is S92RI. Activity will be on all bands and modes.
QSL via CT1APE.

SOUTH PACIFIC DXPEDITION (Update). Bob/W7YAQ and Bill/N7OU will be heading
to the South Pacific in February and will activate three islands. Bill
informs OPDX that their main interest is CW, but they plan to do some
RTTY and SSB too. Activity will be on 80-10 meters. Here is the schedule
Bill provided:

February 16-24th - Rarotonga, South Cooks. W7YAQ will be ZK1YAQ and N7OU
will be ZK1NOU. They will also be operating Multi/Single
in the ARRL DX CW Contest as ZK1NOU.

February 26-28th
and March 11-13th - Nadi, Fiji. W7YAQ will be 3D2NB and N7OU will be 3D2OU.

March 1-10th - Rotuma. W7YAQ will be 3D2RX and N7OU will be 3D2RO.
They will also operate as Multi/Single in the ARRL DX
SSB Contest as 3D2RX.

QSL all callsigns via their home callsigns, direct or by the bureau. Bureau
QSLs can be obtained by E-mailing your info via:

-or-

SPECIAL EVENT. Due to a peace treaty signing during the Second World War,
Finland had to rent Porkkala Cape to the Soviet Union for 50 years as a
military base. That period started in the autumn of 1944, and the Finnish
people living in that area had only 9 days time to move away before Soviet
troups came in. During that time the whole area with a distance of only
30 kilometers to Helsinki was totally closed to the Finnish people and
army. However, due to good relations in the international political
climate that area was returned to Finland only after 11 years on the 26th
of January 1956, which was a great relief to Finnish people. To celebrate
the 50th anniversary of this release, the a local Finnish radio amateur
club station, OH2ET, will be on the air January 26th. Activity will be on
SSB, CW and RTTY on mainly 80-20 meters.

SU, EGYPT (Topband Activity). Hans, SM0CFO, is now active as SU9HP and
has been listening for North America stations on 160 meters. Look for him
between 1945-2300z. Hans is using an ICOM IC-736 "barefoot", 100 watts to
a dipole. Hans is spending his winter in Egypt and will return to Sweden
sometime in April.

TZ, MALI. Paul, ON7ASL, will be active as TZ6PVI from Bamako. His activity
will be mostly on 40 meters in the evening. QSL via his home callsign:
Paul van Impe, Maleizenstraat 44, B-3020 Herent, BELGIUM, or QSL direct
via ON4LN: Eric Lauwers, Benediktijnenlaan 25, B-3010 KESSEL-LO, VBT,
BELGIUM.

V2, ANTIGUA. John/G4RCG and Bruce/KI7VR will be active as V25G and V26VR,
respectively, between January 18th and February 1st. They will be active
on all bands operating mainly on CW with a special emphasis on 160, 80,
40 and 30 meters. Look for V25G to participate in the CQ 160M CW Contest
(January 28-29th) as a Single-Op/Low-Power entry. QSL both callsigns via
G4OOC.

VU4 PRESENTATION. Charles Harpole, K4VUD, now back in Florida for a couple
of months, is scheduled to present an illustrated talk about the VU4 2004
DXpedition at the Miami Hamfest February 4-5th. Charles states, "I will
have some different photos compared to my presentations at Visalia, W9DXCC
and etc."

ZP0, PARAGUAY. Tomas, ZP5AZL, will be active as ZP0R during the ARRL DX
SSB Contest (March 4-5th). Operation class is unknown. QSL via W3HNK.

** IMPORTANT NOTICE/REMINDER ** The Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin now has a new
FAX number. Contributors can now send/fax their DX information to the
following number: 1-419-828-7791 ( F A X only! )
ALSO VISIT THE NORTHERN OHIO DX ASSOCIATION'S WEB HOME PAGE:
http://www.papays.com/nodxa.html
Excerpts and distribution of The OPDX Bulletin are granted as long as
KB8NW/OPDX/BARF80 receive credit. To contribute DX info, please send
via InterNet Mail to: - OR -
Information can now be faxed to the following "NEW" phone line at:
1-419-828-7791 (F A X only!)

/EXIT
--
Tedd Mirgliotta, KB8NW -