Old February 25th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default ARS License Numbers

On Feb 25, 12:37�am, wrote:
On Feb 24, 11:18 am, wrote:

Total Tech/TechPlus - 334,254 (49.5%)

Total General/Advanced/Extra - 291,209 (43.2%)

Jim,

I'm not certain of the underlying analytic reason for this particular
two-bucket breakout of the statistics, but I often wonder why it
ignores the Novice class. *Maybe Novices are irrelevant to the point
you're highlighting, or it is considered a "dead" license class, but
in that sense, so is Advanced. *I guess my question is "where is the
Novice bucket?"

Hans,

The two subtotals are in response to questions/issues
raised long ago.

The Technician/Technician Plus total was added in
response to claims that the Technician was the fastest-
growing license class, which somehow proved some
point or other. Of course the Technician *was* the
fastest growing class, because after 4/15/2000
all renewed Technician Pluses became Technicians.
Looking at the total revealed that a net loss rather than
gain since 4/15/2000.

The General/Advanced/Extra subtotal was added in
response to a request to subtotal the licenses that
give "lots of HF privileges", compared to those which
do not. Perhaps it is no longer relevant to the discussion.

One fact that interests me is that the Advanced has
decreased in number (compared to what they were
before 4/15/2000) far more slowly than the Novice,
even though both are no longer issued, and are not
subject to automatic license class change.

What "buckets" would you prefer to see?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old February 25th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Feb 25, 9:13 am, wrote:
What "buckets" would you prefer to see?

How about including all US hams?

Total Novice/Tech/Tech+ = 56.8%

Total General/Advanced/Extra = 43.2%

That splits the classes 3/3 and shows the average US amateur radio
operator licensee to be in the Novice/Tech/Tech+ group. I will predict
that, before 2010, the General/Advanced/Extra group will be in the
majority once again.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Old February 25th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Feb 25, 8:13 am, wrote:

What "buckets" would you prefer to see?

Novice, Tech, General, Advanced, Extra

Anything else seems to perpetuate a forgotten argument. Let's move
forward.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old February 26th 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Feb 25, 6:45 pm, wrote:

I think the Tech/Tech Plus total serves a useful purpose,
because it is an automatic license class change upon
renewal.

"Tech+" was dropped some time back, is not recognized at FCC as a
license class, and as of 2/23/07 there is no distinction in privileges
or any other practical difference between it and plain old "Tech". A
Tech is a Tech is a Tech.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old March 1st 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Feb 28, 8:57 pm, "Pat Cook" wrote:

FCC rules for the Amateur Service no longer have any provision for
"morse code credit".

If this is the case Hans, then I should be able to legally get on HF (When I
get my radio fixed that is) because I've *NEVER* passed a Morse Code test.

Of course you can get on HF!

Article 97.301 gives Technicians privileges on 5 HF bands. Go to this
webpage http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...s/news/part97/ and
scroll down to 97.301.

Congratulations on your new privileges which have been available to
you for about a week now.

73, de Hans, K0HB

ARS License Numbers [email protected] Policy 0 April 26th 07 11:43 AM
ARS License Numbers Slow Code Antenna 0 November 7th 06 12:58 AM
ARS License Numbers Slow Code General 3 October 23rd 06 12:39 AM
ARS License Numbers Slow Code Scanner 0 October 5th 06 01:11 AM
ARS License Numbers Slow Code Scanner 8 September 7th 06 03:56 PM