Old February 25th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default New government rules mandating hands-free devices in vehicles

(See Title 32 of the CFR Part 634 Section 634.25 paragraph (3))

This is FEDERAL not just some state or city. It applies to all personnel on
all federal installations (military posts, VA hospitals, national parks,
national forests, any other federal property with its own roads). It also
applies to all military personnel on and off post, on and off duty.

A revision to the Code of Federal Regulations mandates that all federal
installations prohibit the use of cellular phones, PDAs, and similar
communication devices by persons operating motor vehicles, unless used with
a hands-free device. Effective 1 March 2007, the use of such devices without
hands-free devices will be prohibited on [this installation]. This
regulation applies to all devices using cellular technology. Cellular
systems built into the vehicle and activated by voice or push-button
(On-Star) are considered hands-free. An earpieces used in one ear or
headphones are the only other approved hands-free devices for motor vehicle
operators.

Radio communication devices (hand sets or "mikes") may only be used by
operators if the radio device is mounted (wired) to the vehicle. Use of
walkie-talkies or phones in the direct connect mode is not authorized. This
includes the use of Motorola or other "Brick" type radios in GOVs and POVs.
The use of tactical radios in tactical vehicles is not subject to
this regulation.

The use of video technology in any playback mode, by the driver, is
prohibited. The only exception is the use of vehicular-mounted navigation
systems.

Any vehicle operator desiring to use cellular phones, PDAs, and similar
communication devices without a hands-free device may do so only after
safely exiting the roadway and placing the vehicle in park. The wearing of
portable headphones, earphones or other listening devices while operating a
motor vehicle is prohibited.

Operators found in violation of this policy during the grace period of March
1, 2007 through April 1, 2007 will receive a warning ticket. Beginning 2
April 2007, violators will be ticketed. Violation of the above stated policy
may result in suspension or revocation of post driving privileges, the
assessment of points, and/or a fine.

These restrictions apply to all personnel on post and to military personnel
both on and off post regardless of their duty status.

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Old February 25th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

I'd be interested in seeing the source of this excerpt. (It isn't the
cited Title 32 of the CFR Part 634 Section 634.25 paragraph (3))

My guess is that what the author has posted is a local implementation,
such as an excerpt from some Army base regulation or similar
document. A CFR wouldn't single out "military personnel both on and
off post regardless of their duty status" or specify dates for grace
period "warnings".

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old February 25th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"John Doe" wrote ...
(See Title 32 of the CFR Part 634 Section 634.25 paragraph (3))

This is FEDERAL not just some state or city.

A revision to the Code of Federal Regulations mandates that all
federal installations prohibit the use of cellular phones, PDAs, and
similar communication devices by persons operating motor vehicles,
unless used with a hands-free device.

Similar legislation (2 bills) pending in the state of Oregon.

Old February 25th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

"John Doe" wrote ...
(See Title 32 of the CFR Part 634 Section 634.25
paragraph (3)) This is FEDERAL not just some state or city.

A revision to the Code of Federal Regulations mandates
that all federal installations prohibit the use of
cellular phones, PDAs, and similar communication
devices by persons operating motor vehicles, unless
used with a hands-free device.

Similar legislation (2 bills) pending in the state of
Oregon.

Sounds similar to the regulations we now have here in the UK, although the
law here is specifically limited to cellular devices, normal 2-way radio
equipment is exempt, so we amateurs are ok, although of course if the
police really wanted to, we have the offence here of driving without due
care and attention, which really covers it, but there was a lot of
complaining by pressure groups that got the phone law introduced.

Of course we all use hands free equipment on both our phones and amateur
radios anyway, don't we ;-)

Ivor G6URP

Old February 25th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Sounds similar to the regulations we now have here in the UK, although the
law here is specifically limited to cellular devices, normal 2-way radio
equipment is exempt, so we amateurs are ok,

Same situation here in Australia.

Although I always felt that the only thing that made "two way radio" exempt
from the regs was that the police and ambulance guys would then be unable to
use their radios without a second operator.

I wonder if they have thought of that in the US?
--
Jack VK2CJC / MM0AXL
FISTS# 9666

Old February 26th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

In "Jack VK2CJC"
wrote:

Sounds similar to the regulations we now have here in the UK,
although the law here is specifically limited to cellular devices,
normal 2-way radio equipment is exempt, so we amateurs are ok,

Same situation here in Australia.

Although I always felt that the only thing that made "two way radio"
exempt from the regs was that the police and ambulance guys would then
be unable to use their radios without a second operator.

I wonder if they have thought of that in the US?

Most likely not; legislators rarely consult with people familiar with
the areas in which they legislate, unless they've received sufficient
campaign donations.

There are a number of bills pending before the Minnesota legislature
intended to regulate the use of cellphones and the like in automobiles;
one, if passed and enforced as written, would completely outlaw use of
all radios of any kind in automobiles, under any circumstances.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Old February 27th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Phil Kane" schreef in bericht

Although I always felt that the only thing that made "two way radio"
exempt
from the regs was that the police and ambulance guys would then be unable
use their radios without a second operator.

I wonder if they have thought of that in the US?

Definitely. In all the existing and proposed legislation, there are
specific exemptions for public safety and emergency personnel.

Here in the Netherlands holding and using a cellular phone is prohibited
while
driving a motorvehicle.
So, while at a traffic light: no problem( but beware if teh light turns
green! ).
Holding anything BUT a cellular phone( coffee, sandwiches, rasor, mike,
etc.):
again no problem.

No exemptions: just a very simple law ( enforced by a $150,- fine ).

73, Gerard - PE1OUD

E-mail: