RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   The term "Elmer" (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/170624-term-elmer.html)

LA4RT Jon KÃ¥re Hellan May 11th 07 01:43 PM

The term "Elmer"

How old is the term "Elmer"?

I was licensed in 1973 or 74, and remained active until abt. 1980. I
can't remember the term "Elmer" from then. This was in Norway, of
course, but I did read QST and the ARRL books. The first mention of
"Elmer" I can remember was on the internet - slashdot.org - in the
nineties. (I didn't find my way back into radio until 2004.)

Did I just miss "Elmer" in the seventies, or is the term more recent?

73
LA4RT Jon

Howard Lester May 11th 07 02:39 PM

The term "Elmer"

"LA4RT Jon Kåre Hellan" wrote

How old is the term "Elmer"?

Much older than you think. I was licensed in '63 and I had an Elmer, who I
think was known as such back then. I think the term goes way back before
that.

Howard N7SO (I think...) ;-)

LVN May 11th 07 02:40 PM

The term "Elmer"

"LA4RT Jon Kåre Hellan" wrote in message
How old is the term "Elmer"?

I was licensed in 1973 or 74, and remained active until abt. 1980. I
can't remember the term "Elmer" from then. This was in Norway, of
course, but I did read QST and the ARRL books. The first mention of
"Elmer" I can remember was on the internet - slashdot.org - in the
nineties. (I didn't find my way back into radio until 2004.)

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer

The term "Elmer"--meaning someone who provides personal guidance and
assistance to would-be hams--first appeared in QST in a March 1971 "How's
DX" column by Rod Newkirk, W9BRD (now also VA3ZBB).

The Shadow May 11th 07 02:41 PM

The term "Elmer"

"LA4RT Jon Kåre Hellan" wrote in message
How old is the term "Elmer"?

I was licensed in 1973 or 74, and remained active until abt. 1980. I
can't remember the term "Elmer" from then. This was in Norway, of
course, but I did read QST and the ARRL books. The first mention of
"Elmer" I can remember was on the internet - slashdot.org - in the
nineties. (I didn't find my way back into radio until 2004.)

Did I just miss "Elmer" in the seventies, or is the term more recent?

73
LA4RT Jon

From the internet a few years ago, this was reported.

""From Norm K1AA " The term "Elmer" was invented in the early 1970s (1971
, I
think) by Rod Newkirk, W9BRD" W9BRD was a radio dispatcher with the Illin
ois
State Police. One of his co-workers was Elmer "Bud" Frohardt, W9GFF, now
W9DY. I've only met W9BRD once, but I've known W9DY since 1968. Bud was v
ery
well known locally for his involvement with the RAMS (Radio Amateur
Megacycle Society) radio club, and he was always helping newcomers to the

hobby. So when Rod Newkirk started writing about Elmer in the "How's DX"
column in QST, he was writing about his friend Bud. I saw Bud quite recen
tly
and asked him to re-confirm my recollection that he was the inspiration f
or
Elmer, and he did." From From Norm K1AA

Lamont

Alan WA4SCA May 11th 07 03:14 PM

The term "Elmer"

Jon,

An interesting discussion he

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/club/mentor/

I was licensed in 1964, and neither had an Elmer, nor recall that term
being in use at the time when I finally located a radio club. Of
course, it may well have been in use elsewhere.

--
Alan
WA4SCA

George[_3_] May 11th 07 04:40 PM

The term "Elmer"

I was also licensed in the early 60s and I remember the term "Elmer" being
in common use back then.

George, K6GW

Steve Bonine May 12th 07 04:27 AM

The term "Elmer"

LVN wrote:

The term "Elmer"--meaning someone who provides personal guidance and
assistance to would-be hams--first appeared in QST in a March 1971 "How's
DX" column by Rod Newkirk, W9BRD (now also VA3ZBB).

The fact that it first appeared in QST in 1971 doesn't mean it wasn't
used before then. The fact that W9BRD picked the name "Elmer" in his
QST text "Too frequently one hears a sad story in this little nutshell:
'Oh, I almost got a ticket, too, but Elmer, W9XYZ, moved away and I kind
of lost interest.'" may indicate that "Elmer" was already in common use.
After all, "Elmer" isn't a very common name that would have sprung to
his mind.

I *think* that "Elmer" was a term that I used when I was first licensed
in the 60's . . . but maybe I am remembering the 70's instead of the 60's.

73, Steve KB9X

Dr.Ace May 12th 07 05:09 AM

The term "Elmer"

"LA4RT Jon Kåre Hellan" wrote in message
How old is the term "Elmer"?

I was licensed in 1973 or 74, and remained active until abt. 1980. I
can't remember the term "Elmer" from then. This was in Norway, of
course, but I did read QST and the ARRL books. The first mention of
"Elmer" I can remember was on the internet - slashdot.org - in the
nineties. (I didn't find my way back into radio until 2004.)

Did I just miss "Elmer" in the seventies, or is the term more recent?

73
LA4RT Jon

My "Elmer" W9MZ at that time, began to school me in Amateur Radio in 1975
while I was 16 years old . I remember referring to Bill as my Elmer .
Ace - WH2T

..

LVN May 12th 07 11:59 AM

The term "Elmer"

"Steve Bonine" wrote in message
LVN wrote:

The term "Elmer"--meaning someone who provides personal guidance and
assistance to would-be hams--first appeared in QST in a March 1971 "How's
DX" column by Rod Newkirk, W9BRD (now also VA3ZBB).

The fact that it first appeared in QST in 1971 doesn't mean it wasn't used
before then. The fact that W9BRD picked the name "Elmer" in his QST text
"Too frequently one hears a sad story in this little nutshell: 'Oh, I
almost got a ticket, too, but Elmer, W9XYZ, moved away and I kind of lost
interest.'" may indicate that "Elmer" was already in common use. After
all, "Elmer" isn't a very common name that would have sprung to his mind.

I *think* that "Elmer" was a term that I used when I was first licensed in
the 60's . . . but maybe I am remembering the 70's instead of the 60's.

Alright then Elmer is an English surname derived from "the Old English
aethel (noble) and maer (famous). It was first adopted as a given name in
the 19th Century, most popularly in the United States".

Noble and Famous sounds about right.

--
10-10 (till we do it again) de G1LVN

Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) May 12th 07 02:19 PM

The term "Elmer"

On Fri, 11 May 2007 09:39:03 -0400, Howard Lester wrote:

Much older than you think. I was licensed in '63 and I had an Elmer, who I
think was known as such back then. I think the term goes way back before
that.

Yes, WAY back before that.

I was also first licensed in 1963, and "Elmer" was a popular and
often-used term at the time. My elmer was my father, now a silent key,
who was first licensed in 1921, and he often spoke of HIS elmer from those
days. Whether the actual term "elmer" was used in 1921 I obviously can't
say from first hand experience, but I am QUITE certain that the term dates
back at least to the 50's or 40's.