Old June 20th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default A plea for civility

"Phil Kane" wrote in message

[snip]

My personal opinion is that BPL will self-destruct on
economic grounds if we amateurs can just hold out long
enough.

Ok, I'll bite..! What is "BPL"..?! Everyone seems to think everyone knows,
but I am devoid of clue..! Can someone enlighten me..? I assume something
specific to the US or surely I would have heard of it..?!

73 Ivor G6URP

Old June 20th 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 19:41:55 EDT, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Ok, I'll bite..! What is "BPL"..?! Everyone seems to think everyone knows,
but I am devoid of clue..! Can someone enlighten me..? I assume something
specific to the US or surely I would have heard of it..?!

It's a US acronym for Broadband over Power Lines. The European term
and acronym (which I can't recall right now) is something
different(Power Line Carrier ??), but the process is the same.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Old June 20th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:

Ok, I'll bite..! What is "BPL"..?! Everyone seems to
think everyone knows, but I am devoid of clue..! Can
someone enlighten me..? I assume something specific to
the US or surely I would have heard of it..?!

It's a US acronym for Broadband over Power Lines. The
European term and acronym (which I can't recall right
now) is something different(Power Line Carrier ??), but
the process is the same.

Ah, ok, thanks. The idea has been put forward in the UK but I don't think
anyone has taken it up.

73 Ivor G6URP

Old June 20th 07, 06:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Jun 19, 8:48 pm, AF6AY wrote:

to prove they still "have what it takes to lead their membership."

But Newington (and the BoD) are not there to lead the membership
(memberships don't need to be led). They are there to serve the
membership.

In any case, engaging the FCC in court battles on hollow issues like
BPL neither leads NOR serves the Amateur Radio service. It needlessly
squanders what modest remaining remaining respect we have at the
government agency we depend on for our continued existence. (Can you
say "bite the hand which feeds us"?)

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old June 20th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

KØHB wrote:
On Jun 19, 8:48 pm, AF6AY wrote:

to prove they still "have what it takes to lead their membership."

But Newington (and the BoD) are not there to lead the membership
(memberships don't need to be led). They are there to serve the
membership.

In any case, engaging the FCC in court battles on hollow issues like
BPL neither leads NOR serves the Amateur Radio service. It needlessly
squanders what modest remaining remaining respect we have at the
government agency we depend on for our continued existence. (Can you
say "bite the hand which feeds us"?)

My assessment of the situation is that the efforts - especially the
ones by W1RFI, have paid off.

There appears to have been a push for BPL that was based on other than
technical rationale.

When other rationales than technology are used to promote a technical
solution, we sometimes get white elephant solutions. Like BPL.

We have the luxury of looking at the situation as it exists now, not as
it would be if no effort was spent in opposition to it.

I find the situation similar to childhood vaccinations. Children were
dying or being harmed by various diseases, so we came up with vaccines.
They worked, and many lives were saved. Now some people question just
why we should be vaccinating children. "Gee, no one is getting sick, why
do we have to do this?" Just a thought.

Without any ARRL protest, it is very likely that there would have been
a lot more deployment of BPL. A lot of Amateurs would be having their
service disrupted by BPL. A lot of BPL customers would be having their
service disrupted by amateurs.

Problem is that management technique is to not step back and reassess,
not to stop digging when they find themselves in a hole; but to stick
to their guns.The promoters would ride BPL right into the ground.

With no opposition, (ARRL keeping out of the issue) what would be the
response to the BPL promoters to the fact that we would shut down BPL
every time we keyed up?

I'll bet it would be an attempt to disallow the Amateur
communications. We can talk about licensed services and part 15, but
that would not stop the issue from going to court. And if the ARRL kept
out of that, is there any doubt of who would win? Maybe we could get a
public defender to do something pro bono for us? A likely scenario
would be an injunction against amateur operation in areas served by BPL
until they figured things out.

At that point, Hams would be sending angry emails wondering "Just where
on earth was the ARRL in this mess? They should have been doing something!"

So while I agree that BPL is a technical failure, and will eventually
go away, it had/has the potential to wreak a lot of havoc over a long
period, if not opposed.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 20th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Jun 20, 2:43 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:

My assessment of the situation is that the efforts - especially the
ones by W1RFI, have paid off.

I agree to the point that the science and technical work done by Ed
Hare was members money well spent. We (ARRL) should have spent more
money in this area, the practical technical evaluation of the BPL.
This was/is useful work.

But I stand on both sides of this issue, as a licensed Amateur, a
former elected ARRL official, and as a technically involved member the
telecommunications industry.

From the aspect of a former elected ARRL official and a long-time

loyal ARRL member, I view all the "whipping up the troops", long
jeremiads in QST, nasty letters to the FCC Chair, Federal lawsuits,
etc., as ill-advised posturing which has no practical influence on the
business decisions of telecommunications providers, and only serves to
alienate our regulators over a technology which is ALREADY DOA.

From the aspect of a player in the telecommunications industry, I see

K1ZZ and the BoD which supports his Quixotic crusade as comically
amateur (in the Webster definition of "without skill") medlers in a
game where they have only enough political power to be nothing more
than a pest. This misbegotten adventure WILL be remembered in the
wrong places when we need some favor down the road.

All of this, over a still-born technology without any practical
possibility of gaining the traction necessary to become a market
reality.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old June 22nd 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default BPL

In article ,
Phil Kane wrote:

My personal opinion is that BPL will self-destruct on economic grounds
if we amateurs can just hold out long enough.

Not competitive is my take, other methods will bet it and it will die

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv