RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   Digital question (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/170679-digital-question.html)

[email protected] June 11th 07 04:22 PM

Digital question

I am interested in geting into digital modes. I have not done
anything with these modes before. Can I get some suggestions on what
is(are) the best software on the market for multiple mode operation?
Are there possibly separate mode freeware programs out there that are
just as good. I have downloaded the freeware digital multi-mode from
F6CTE but have not been able to set it up yet. I have also seen the
MMTTY and DigiPan software mentioned in QST articles.

Thanks for any help on this.

The Shadow June 11th 07 08:13 PM

Digital question

" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am interested in geting into digital modes. I have not done
anything with these modes before. Can I get some suggestions on what
is(are) the best software on the market for multiple mode operation?
Are there possibly separate mode freeware programs out there that are
just as good. I have downloaded the freeware digital multi-mode from
F6CTE but have not been able to set it up yet. I have also seen the
MMTTY and DigiPan software mentioned in QST articles.

Thanks for any help on this.

Lots of Digital mode stuff at URL:
http://ac6v.com/opmodes.htm#D

73 Lamont

Michael Coslo June 11th 07 08:15 PM

Digital question

wrote:
I am interested in geting into digital modes. I have not done
anything with these modes before. Can I get some suggestions on what
is(are) the best software on the market for multiple mode operation?

Are there possibly separate mode freeware programs out there that are
just as good. I have downloaded the freeware digital multi-mode from
F6CTE but have not been able to set it up yet. I have also seen the
MMTTY and DigiPan software mentioned in QST articles.

There are quite a few freeware programs out there. I personally use
Digipan, and have been trying out Ham Radio Deluxe. In the past I'd used
Zakanaka. For SSTV, I use MMSSTV, and for RTTY, I use MMTTY.

I'm big on separate programs for separate modes. To me the multi moded
programs show that they don't specialize.

I will note however, that Ham Radio Deluxe is a pretty full featured
program. It is actually more toward rig control than just PSK31. I use
it to control my IC-761. Google it up, especially if you are thinking
about computer rig control.

A few tips to get you started:

Keep the sound level low. You'll avoid splattering up the band. When
you first look at the waterfall display, you'll notice that some guys
signals are mostly 2 bars with a bit of "stuff" between them. Then there
are the signals that look like a porcupine, with spikes heading out from
them. This severely messes with the bandwidth. A good PSK31 signal
doesn't take a whole lot more than a fast OOK CW signal, but I've seen
messy ones take up over a KHz.

Don't be that guy! 8^)

Keep the sound level low enough so that your ALC doesn't kick in, and
you'll do great. Hope to see you on my screen sometime.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

William Warren[_2_] June 11th 07 08:21 PM

Digital question

wrote:
I am interested in geting into digital modes. I have not done
anything with these modes before. Can I get some suggestions on what
is(are) the best software on the market for multiple mode operation?
Are there possibly separate mode freeware programs out there that are
just as good. I have downloaded the freeware digital multi-mode from
F6CTE but have not been able to set it up yet. I have also seen the
MMTTY and DigiPan software mentioned in QST articles.

Thanks for any help on this.

OM, I think your best bet is to start with packet on VHF, because
digital modes are really different from code or voice, and there's a lot
to learn. You can get used Termincal Node Controllers (TNCs) for less
than fifty bucks.

Your best bet is to find someone that's already experienced, and he
might even have some equipment to loan out.

Good luck!

William

(Remove the noise from my signal)