Old June 11th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Digital question

I am interested in geting into digital modes. I have not done
anything with these modes before. Can I get some suggestions on what
is(are) the best software on the market for multiple mode operation?
Are there possibly separate mode freeware programs out there that are
just as good. I have downloaded the freeware digital multi-mode from
F6CTE but have not been able to set it up yet. I have also seen the
MMTTY and DigiPan software mentioned in QST articles.

Thanks for any help on this.

Old June 11th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am interested in geting into digital modes. I have not done
anything with these modes before. Can I get some suggestions on what
is(are) the best software on the market for multiple mode operation?
Are there possibly separate mode freeware programs out there that are
just as good. I have downloaded the freeware digital multi-mode from
F6CTE but have not been able to set it up yet. I have also seen the
MMTTY and DigiPan software mentioned in QST articles.

Thanks for any help on this.

Lots of Digital mode stuff at URL:
http://ac6v.com/opmodes.htm#D

73 Lamont

Old June 11th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:
I am interested in geting into digital modes. I have not done
anything with these modes before. Can I get some suggestions on what
is(are) the best software on the market for multiple mode operation?

Are there possibly separate mode freeware programs out there that are
just as good. I have downloaded the freeware digital multi-mode from
F6CTE but have not been able to set it up yet. I have also seen the
MMTTY and DigiPan software mentioned in QST articles.

There are quite a few freeware programs out there. I personally use
Digipan, and have been trying out Ham Radio Deluxe. In the past I'd used
Zakanaka. For SSTV, I use MMSSTV, and for RTTY, I use MMTTY.

I'm big on separate programs for separate modes. To me the multi moded
programs show that they don't specialize.

I will note however, that Ham Radio Deluxe is a pretty full featured
program. It is actually more toward rig control than just PSK31. I use
it to control my IC-761. Google it up, especially if you are thinking
about computer rig control.

A few tips to get you started:

Keep the sound level low. You'll avoid splattering up the band. When
you first look at the waterfall display, you'll notice that some guys
signals are mostly 2 bars with a bit of "stuff" between them. Then there
are the signals that look like a porcupine, with spikes heading out from
them. This severely messes with the bandwidth. A good PSK31 signal
doesn't take a whole lot more than a fast OOK CW signal, but I've seen
messy ones take up over a KHz.

Don't be that guy! 8^)

Keep the sound level low enough so that your ALC doesn't kick in, and
you'll do great. Hope to see you on my screen sometime.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Digital scanner question Brent Scanner 1 July 6th 04 04:31 AM
Question for all - Digital VFO displays Tim Homebrew 0 December 14th 03 10:41 AM
Question for all - Digital VFO displays Tim Homebrew 0 December 14th 03 10:41 AM
Question for all - Digital VFO displays Tim General 0 December 14th 03 10:41 AM
Question about digital over phonepatch Ralph Mowery Digital 5 August 12th 03 05:15 PM