Old June 25th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Field Day?

Hi all,
Hope you all had a great FD, I certainly did. I started out by helping
with setup, and then also worked as a VE in a test session we began at
10AM, had one person go from no license to Extra in that one session!
The test session really worked out well and we're eager to do that again
next year. Got some new club members out of it too *smile*.

I came back at 8pm (an hour earlier than scheduled) with the unlicensed
YL who once more worked as my logger (though I had to bribe her with
some ice cream on the way *smile) and we had a great time, including
contacting W1AW! We also enjoyed contacting many VE3 sations as my wife
is Canadian/American.

We headed home for the night and on the spur of the moment I decided to
head back and help out, so I ended up logging for 3 more hours then made
the last 2 contacts of the event.

All in all , it was a great event for all (with much better weather than
last year when I was working the righ with rain water running down my
back from a hole in the tent...what a deluge).

Wonder if I worked any of you ? We were using our club call of W3QBD, in
Delaware.

Jerry

Old June 25th 07, 09:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Mike Coslo wrote:
N2EY wrote:

I think they are using a laptop, because I don't know any desktops
that run on 12 volts DC (though there are probably some). It sounds to
me like what they did was to use a laptop with a charging cord meant
to go into an auto accessory power socket. That way, the primary power
comes from the 12 volt power system they need for the rig, and the
laptop's internal battery is used for backup in case there is some
sort of power interruption.

FD lasts more than 24 hours, and I don't know any laptops whose
batteries will run that long. Using external power means no
interruptions.

An awful lot of laptops run on 18 Volts DC. My IBM's Dells, snd most
recently, a Toshiba. (actually it is 19 Volts) If you aren't going to run
them off 120 volts and their own power supply, you'll need to run a DC to
DC p.s.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

I so do dislike quoting myself but, "The logging PC will have it's own
homebrew DC-DC boost converter."
The laptop PC's AC power supply produces 16VDC @ 4A. The DC-DC boost
converter produces regulated 16VDC @ 4.5A. The boost converter for the rig
similarly produces 14VDC @ 25A. Both units are dead quiet in terms of EMI,
and aren't upset in the presence of RF.
Bryan WA7PRC

Old June 25th 07, 09:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Pat Cook wrote:
Hi everyone:
Bryan wrote:
The logging PC will have it's own homebrew DC-DC boost converter.

Out of curiosity (Yes I know what it does to cats *LOL!*), why not just
simply use A LAPTOP? You can always replace the batteries in a laptop.

Again....Just out of curiosity (At the risk of feline death I might add
*LOL!*)

Cheers & 73

Pat Cook, KB0OXD
Denver, Colorado

We *did* use a laptop. The batteries won't run 24 hrs continuously w/o
being changed which, in the middle of a pileup, you don't want to have to
do. On the other hand, 4 x 80 Ah 12V lead-acid batteries in parallel can
more than handle the load of a 100W HF xcvr + the laptop's meager power
requirement. We used this unit in Tent2, with zero issues. Tent1 used
AC-powered equipment and they had to keep an eye on the generator fuel
level... while listening to the drone of the engine.
Bryan WA7PRC

Old June 26th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Jun 22, 10:52?pm, wrote:

This year I'll be going out with a club group, running 3A. This FD is
part readiness-exercise, part training, part publicity, part contest,
and part social event. The first 100 points are already in the log.

Results of the above operation:

We had 3 HF stations on the air, and one VHF/UHF. HF rigs were all
100-watt-class middle-of-the-line transceivers, with various dipole
antennas (OCF and G5RVs). N3FJP computer logging with networked
computers at each setup.

We made 470 CW and 342 'phone QSOs, with just one HF station on CW vs.
two HF and one VHF/UHF on 'phone. Bonus points for 100% emergency
power, "natural" power, W1AW message, SM message, information table,
public location, publicity, and electronic log submittal.

Great wx, lots of new and old friends, good food and lots of good
times. Some folks dropped by for a few minutes, some were there
beginning to end, and everything in between. Setup and takedown were
done in record time due to good planning and experience.

Only 368 days till the next one!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old June 26th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Jun 19, 2:50 am, wrote:
Folks,

What are people doing for Field Day this year?

73 de Jim, N2EY

K0HB/K0CKB operated diesel power for about 4 hours in the coach at the
lake..... no contest...... no readiness..... no flies or
bats........ cool 807's during....... walleye dinner after.....
purists hate us...... too bad for them...........

K0HB 1E MN

472 CW contacts
2 phone contacts

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old June 26th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Jim N2EY wrote:

[...]

Considering the poor solar activity, that sounds pretty good! Though I
haven't seen the exact tally for the Machias Radio Group (W7MRG) running 2A
+ VHF, I think we'll come pretty close to your's.

We had CW & fone tents (I stayed w/ the fone tent). The CW guys forgot to
bring the 80m antenna and had to make-do w/ the 40m antenna + tuner. Still,
they had just over 400 Qs. The fone tally was 360 Qs. We also had the
usual bonus points... emergency power, public location, info table,
publicity, and W1AW message.

We had some snafus w/ setup of the fone antennas so, we weren't operational
until late Friday night. An interfacing problem w/ the intended DVK made us
switch to Plan B. I'm glad it worked... we didn't have a Plan C! The wx
here in the Pacific "Northwet" cooperated, for the most part. The rain
didn't happen until we had the tents up, and then abated until *after* we
were packed up for the drive home. )

Vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Old June 26th 07, 06:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Our 1B WV K8MN operation (K8MN + N8NN) used a single HF transceiver
with TR for logging on a laptop computer. Our primary antenna was a
200' flattop which varied in height--60 feet at one end and about 40
feet at the other. It was fed with ladder line through a Johnson
Matchbox. Our bonus points were for the information table, publicity,
local emergency personnel visit,
SM message, emergency power and electronic submittal.

We made 1070 FD QSOs (957 on CW) for 2027 points.

Dave K8MN

Old June 26th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Jun 25, 11:13 pm, KØHB wrote:
On Jun 19, 2:50 am, wrote:

Folks,

What are people doing for Field Day this year?

73 de Jim, N2EY

K0HB/K0CKB operated diesel power for about 4 hours in the coach at the
lake..... no contest...... no readiness..... no flies or
bats........ cool 807's during....... walleye dinner after.....
purists hate us...... too bad for them...........

Well, Hans, I'm about as much of a "Field Day purist" as you'll ever
run into,
but I see nothing to hate.

Coupla hams went out in the field, followed all the applicable rules,
operated using emergency power, made a bunch of QSOs, had a lot of
fun.

Sounds like a 'pure' FD operation to me.

K0HB 1E MN

472 CW contacts
2 phone contacts

73 de Jim, N2EY

Near field vs Far field measurements at 2M Steve Reinhardt Antenna 13 August 7th 07 10:30 PM
Anybody go to field day? Scott in Baltimore CB 0 June 26th 05 04:48 PM
WTB: FT-1000 Field or MKV .. [email protected] Equipment 0 November 17th 04 06:38 PM
OT Field Day jim CB 16 June 22nd 04 04:28 AM
near vs far field ? Henry Kolesnik Antenna 8 May 27th 04 12:42 AM