Old June 23rd 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.info

Default Ham Radio mfgr to merge with JVC

Osaka, Japan - Kenwood has agreed to merge with Victor Co. of Japan
(JVC), under a holding company in 2008, according to a Nikkei report
Friday.

---more at--- http://www.twice.com/article/CA6454759.html

Old June 23rd 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Jun 23, 1:01 am, KØHB wrote:
Osaka, Japan - Kenwood has agreed to merge with Victor Co. of Japan
(JVC), under a holding company in 2008, according to a Nikkei report
Friday.

This could be interesting! If Kenwood gains access to the JVC
distribution channel (including big-box retailers like Circuit City
and Best Buy), amateur radio could accidentally get some much needed
retail visibility.

As a teen, I got my first 2-meter mobile rig at Sears back in the 70's
(actually my Mom bought it as a Xmas gift), an OEM'd version of a
Midland 1510. Not sure she'd have been able to shop Henry Radio or
AES, but Sears was right down at the local mall.

73,

RDW

Old June 23rd 07, 12:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Senior Member

"RDWeaver" wrote in message
ups.com...

As a teen, I got my first 2-meter mobile rig at Sears back
in the 70's(actually my Mom bought it as a Xmas gift), an
OEM'd version of a Midland 1510.

I think that was a re-badged Midland 13-510 (not 1510). Forget the model number
they had on it, but it was only on the market a year or two.

Later (early 80's?) Sears private-labeled a couple of Yaesu 2M rigs, under Model
# 3880 and # 3881.

The Man in the Maze
QRS from Baboquivari Peak, AZ

--
Iitoi

Old June 23rd 07, 12:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

In other places, there have been discussions about how poor the
Kenwood presentation and offerings were at Dayton. Perhaps there will
be a much needed boost here.

--
Alan
WA4SCA