Old July 18th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default APRS a different way

I recently installed APRS on my mobile rig.

I suppose I should note that I have no financial interest in any of the
producers of software or equipment I've noted here.

While most people go for a receiver - either using a hockey puck or a
hendheld - connected to a tnc then to the radio, I already had a copy of
Streets and Trips on my laptop, and the USB GPS receiver supplied by
MicroSoft.

I wanted to see if I could do something with that.

A found a software called APRSPoint on the web, and purchased a copy.
They said that it would work with Streets and Trips and my Kenwood
D-700. They weren't completely clear on exactly how though. Links were
provided to a site where someone had done this.

This ham had used an external receiver connected directly to the
D-700. I was hoping to run directly from the laptop. Emails to the
writer of the software indicated that he wasn't sure himself if what I
was trying to do would work.

After messing with it a few days, I wasn't having a whole lot of joy.
Then I decided to try something different.

The D-700 uses a db9 serial cable to communicate with the laptop.
General Packet work uses the Serial cable. So in anticipation that the
unit was expecting the antenna to be hooked into a separate connecter
when in APRS mode, I simply switched the D-700 over to Packet mode
instead of APPRS.

Success. I was squacking my position and reading everyone else's. Works
like a charm, and the dynamic maps change with where I am. I then built
a nice little laptop desk, and there ya go.

I'm using the APRS/Laptop combination this weekend in a local MS-150
bike ride. We'll be having several GPS units barking position with the
various mobile units (bike repair, sag wagon, ambulance, race director,
and myself. I'll be behind the last rider, watching who is where, and
there will be another APRS at HQ allowing them to see who is where also.

Anyone else using APRS in a practical situation?

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 19th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:02:40 EDT, Michael Coslo wrote:

Anyone else using APRS in a practical situation?

Our ARES/RACES team has been using APRS-equipped mobile units in
practically every public service event which we have been supporting
for the past few years - the MS-150 is a good example. We have also
demonstrated its utility to the county-wide Fire and Rescue District
command staff who were very impressed. The system is available as an
accessory to commercial communication transceivers now.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

APRS ??? Joseph Fenn Digital 2 April 23rd 07 10:18 PM
aprs ads-b Andrew Rich General 0 December 3rd 06 01:12 PM
tx/rx aprs pierard laurent Digital 0 October 24th 06 07:05 PM
Win APRS and AEA PK 900 K7LTF Zach Digital 0 June 1st 04 08:29 AM