Old November 11th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Forty Years Licensed

On Nov 10, 8:29?pm, Mike Coslo wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 22:25:12 -0500, N2EY wrote:
On Nov 6, 8:17?pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
Now we have a rig that will permit a person with no
typing skills to
send perfect RTTY or PSK31.

Like they say, "It's all good". I don't know anyone nearby that has a K@,

Did you mean "K2" or "K3"? I have a K2 and at least one other
regular here does too. Great rigs. I've used the KX1 and K1 as well.

but at Dayton next year I'm going to haunt the Elecraft booth.

You and a lot of others...

Elecraft has shipped a few dozen K3s so far. The first two production
runs sold out long ago, if you order now, expect
a few weeks' wait as they catch up on backlog. Some reviews
have started to appear on the 'net, and eventually there will be
QST and Sherwood measurements of the truly amazing numbers.

I worked a couple of stations using K3s in CW SS last weekend, so they
*are* on the air.

From the descriptions, assembling a K3 is more like building a PC than

it is assembling a Heathkit. The boards and modules are all
preassembled; you simply put it together and configure it. Which is
not a trivial job!

And like a PC, you have a choice of which options to add to the basic
unit. Options can be added at initial build or later. This helps keep
the price down - if you don't need things like general coverage
receive or a second receiver, you don't have to pay for them.

I don't work for Elecraft and my only interest is as a stisfied
customer and builder.

- 73 de Mike N3LI

Congrats on the new call!

Thanks. I was toying around, not too serious, looking for
something a
little shorter, and found this one. I like it both for Morse and Voice.

And N5EE was taken already, hehe

Yup, one of the shortest possible US CW calls that's not a 1x1. It's
tied with AE5E. Compare with a call like KQ0JJJ....

Besides, "N3LI" has the same rhythm as "N2EY"...

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old November 13th 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 21, 10:54?pm, Mike Coslo wrote:
Klystron wrote
:

Snipped

Novice (back then) was also a one-year, nonrenewable, one-time
license with extremely limited privileges. So its test could be very
basic and still cover the needed material.

Snipped
73 de Jim, N2EY

Novice's back then were also limited to 75 watts plate input power and rock
bound (No VFO) operations.
Ace - WH2T

..

Old November 13th 07, 05:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Beat you. I got 100 on all three tests (amateur elements 2, 3 and 4).
I will admit that there was some rote memorization involved, especially
on the parts that I didn't know anything about (calculations involving
imaginary numbers, for example).

--
Klystron

When I started studying for the Advanced or maybe it was the Extra class
exam I was somewhat intimidated by the section on imaginary numbers, J
operator, etc.
I studied it in college to get my electronics degree but that was quite a
while ago.
My first thought was I can just guess at these questions and if I miss them
all I will still pass the test.
Then I decided to just memorize the (Radio Shack) study material, not the
formulas or the math to solve the problem.
I passed first try.
Ace - WH2T

..

Old November 13th 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

I definitely agree that this should be a possible test question as one can
be out of band simply due to the width of the signal. A lot of people
don't understand this until they get "dinged" so to speak. When I teach a
class, I try to emphasize this.

Dee, N8UZE

Many times as an Official Observer or OO I have seen people operate LSB 1
Khz from the lower phone band edge. Even after I quoted the law to the (not
on that freq) they would still argue that they were operating in the band !
Ace - WH2T

..

Old November 14th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 23:53:40 EST, "Dr.Ace Ratliff"
wrote:

Many times as an Official Observer or OO I have seen people operate LSB 1
Khz from the lower phone band edge. Even after I quoted the law to the (not
on that freq) they would still argue that they were operating in the band !

"Wishing won't make it so!"

The monitoring stations used to call that "shooting fish in a barrel"
back in the days when they did spectrum cruising (proactive
enforcement).
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest