RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   Forty Years Licensed (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/170877-forty-years-licensed.html)

[email protected] October 12th 07 10:25 PM

Forty Years Licensed

Forty years ago today, October 12, 1967, FCC issued a Novice license
to a 13-year-old kid in the 7th grade. The license arrived two days
later, and the kid (me) went on the amateur bands for the first time
October 14, 1967.

Since then, I've has had three amateur radio callsigns, six
"permanent" QTHs, a long list of rigs, antennas, parts and test
equipment, awards earned, articles published, and tens of thousands of
QSOs. Many things in amateur radio are different now than they were
then, many things are the same.

One thing that hasn't changed is that ham radio is sure a lot of fun.

Doesn't seem like 40 years, though.

What do others remember?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Howard Lester October 13th 07 03:07 AM

Forty Years Licensed

wrote

Doesn't seem like 40 years, though.

What do others remember?

:-) When a teen, my novice license arrived Friday the 13th, September 1963.
My first QSO was that night on 80m on 3706 Kc with a fellow in Schoharie,
NY. That was my only crystal. With crystals, we had to learn to listen all
over our 50 Kc available band of 3700 - 3750.

My friend Gary and I went down to the FCC office in Manhattan to take the
General exam just a few days before they were going to impose a $4 fee.
Ouch! We had a deadline to meet! We couldn't afford to pay $4! Well, we both
passed, and Gary called his mom to tell her the good news. Once we arrived
back to his house it was apparent that his mother told a neighbor the good
news because, as we walked by the neighbor's house, she exclaimed to us, "So
now you're Captains!?"

Howard N7SO

Steve Bonine October 13th 07 04:04 AM

Forty Years Licensed

Howard Lester wrote:
wrote

Doesn't seem like 40 years, though.

What do others remember?

:-) When a teen, my novice license arrived Friday the 13th, September 1963.
My first QSO was that night on 80m on 3706 Kc with a fellow in Schoharie,
NY. That was my only crystal. With crystals, we had to learn to listen all
over our 50 Kc available band of 3700 - 3750.

I was also first licensed in 1963 and I think I had three crystals, but
one was 3706. That must have been a common frequency for a surplus xtal.

I do remember listening the whole band for a call from a CQ. You picked
the closest frequency you had a crystal for. I also remember that it
was somewhat common for QRM to pop up because the station transmitting
had a limited selection of crystals and didn't always listen on the
frequency that they were about to transmit.

But it sure was fun.

I met a fellow novice on 80 meters and he traveled to Knoxville to take
his General exam on the same day I did. We met there. He was so
nervous that he literally could not fill out the FCC-610 form. But
somehow he managed to calm himself enough to pass the CW test. Perhaps
it was the CW that did it. By then we were routinely chatting at speeds
more than the required 13 wpm.

My friend Gary and I went down to the FCC office in Manhattan to take the
General exam just a few days before they were going to impose a $4 fee.
Ouch! We had a deadline to meet! We couldn't afford to pay $4! Well, we both
passed, and Gary called his mom to tell her the good news. Once we arrived
back to his house it was apparent that his mother told a neighbor the good
news because, as we walked by the neighbor's house, she exclaimed to us, "So
now you're Captains!?"

I took the General with a friend, too. He was very good at theory. I
was very good at code. Somehow he managed to squeak by the code test,
but he failed the theory test. I think that he got one answer off on
the answer sheet and was putting down his answers for the wrong number;
there's no way he could have failed that theory test.

I'm about to teach a Technician class beginning at the end of the month.
Times have changed. No longer is the entry license the Novice and one
must use the one-year term to build up code speed for the General.
Instead I'll be trying to figure out how to teach both concepts and the
question pool. It will be interesting. (I don't think I've taught a
license class in the past two decades.)

But the fun remains in the hobby. Some things change and some things
remain the same. Thanks for the memories.

Jack VK2CJC October 13th 07 01:17 PM

Forty Years Licensed

Happy... emm... license day... Jim :o)

I was born in1967 so less history here. Didnt get my license until I was 26
years old in 1993. I recall my first contact like it was yesterday. Sitting
at my desk with a my new license and an FT480 on the FM calling frequency
wondering what I should do next.

I'm on my fourth callsign, from two countries. Planning another move so
number 5 on its way.

Many things in amateur radio change. But the basics will always be the same.

--
Jack VK2CJC / MM0AXL
FISTS #9666

Bert Hyman October 13th 07 03:45 PM

Forty Years Licensed

In ups.com
wrote:

What do others remember?

I remember a QST cover with an image of the sun labled "Cycle 19 - The
Declining Years".

And now, here we are at the nadir of Cycle 23.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Howard Lester October 13th 07 10:26 PM

Forty Years Licensed

"Steve Bonine" wrote

I was also first licensed in 1963 and I think I had three crystals, but
one was 3706. That must have been a common frequency for a surplus xtal.

Gosh, Steve - I wonder if we worked each other. My antenna was so poor that,
when I used an EICO VFO as a transmitter hooked up to a 100 ft random
receiving antenna (with no matching system whatsoever) -- the EICO did
better! With it, I worked 14 states including Oklahoma (from the NYC area).
(Then I got an "OO" card in the mail, chastising me for using a VFO as a
novice. I guess "OO" stands for "OH-OH!")

The Johnson Challenger was, on 80m, hooked up to a 40m vertical dipole
hanging from the roof ledge of an 8 story apartment roof. Yep, it was right
up against the brick wall. I was on the 5th floor. What a moron... ;-) See,
I couldn't find any 40m crystals, so I got one for 80, and.... But that
Challenger could actually load a 40m antenna on 80.

Thus the license class "novice."

Howard

[email protected] October 14th 07 12:13 AM

Forty Years Licensed

Some stories from those days:

My first rig was a single 6V6GT in the grid-plate circuit, running
maybe 10 W with one xtal on 3726 kHz. Dummy load was a Christmas tree
bulb, the big 7-1/2 watt kind. Antenna was a wire out to the crabapple
tree. Ground was the radiator pipe. J-37 key and knife-switch TR.
Antenna-current indicator was a pilot lamp in series with the lead-
in.

But the power supply was from an old Philco TV. Big power transformer,
5U4, cap and chokes. Good for at least 400 mills and I wasn't drawing
even 40.

Only parts bought new were the knife switch, the xtal and the 6V6GT.
Everything else was scavenged from the trash or acquired second hand.

Still have the key and the 6V6GT.

---

Another mentioned the cost of exams and nervousness at the FCC office.
I was lucky in that the FCC office was just a subway ride away. But a
school kid had to wait for summer or the rare school holiday that
wasn't a Federal holiday, because FCC exams were only given Monday
through Wednesday mornings. And the $9 cost was a big deal, too.

The first time I went for the General, early summer 1968, I flunked
the code because the examiner couldn't read my "Palmer Method"
longhand well enough to find the required 65 consecutive correct
characters. But he did find 25, so he let me take the written exam and
I wound up with a simultaneous Novice/Tech, which was OK back then.
WN3 call on HF and WA3 on VHF.

So I went home and taught myself to block-print, and listened to W1AW
until I could copy the 18 wpm bulletins solid from one end to the
other. Also saved up every spare penny to get the $9 exam fee. Went
back to FCC in midsummer and passed 13 wpm no problem.

As I was about to leave, the FCC examiner said "why don't you try
Advanced while you're here?" Though I hadn't prepared for it, there
was no way a 14 year old kid would say no to The Man From FCC, so I
tried it - and passed.

Two years later I was back for the Extra. But that's another story..

Tomorrow it will be 40 years since the license arrived in the mail...

73 de Jim, N2EY

Howard Lester October 14th 07 02:29 AM

Forty Years Licensed

wrote

As I was about to leave, the FCC examiner said "why don't you try
Advanced while you're here?" Though I hadn't prepared for it, there
was no way a 14 year old kid would say no to The Man From FCC, so I
tried it - and passed.

That white shirt and tie was pretty intimidating, wasn't it? I think it was
in 1968 that I went to the NYC office for my Advanced. I knew I failed...
but the man in the white shirt went over my answer sheet and casually said,
"You passed." "I DID!?" was my trembling response.... "Yeah." Oh. I
walked out of the exam room, went down the hall, threw my pencil in the air
over my back and kept going.

Now exams are given in people's living rooms....

Tomorrow it will be 40 years since the license arrived in the mail...

Congratulations, Jim. It's quite a "club" we belong to.

Howard N7SO

Steve Bonine October 14th 07 03:03 PM

Forty Years Licensed

Howard Lester wrote:

That white shirt and tie was pretty intimidating, wasn't it?

One of the most rewarding experiences of my ham radio career was serving
as reader for a blind ham who was taking her Extra exam in Chicago, just
before the FCC stopped administering them. She wanted to take the exam
from the FCC. She passed. I felt a tiny part of her pride.

I suppose that the VE system is a positive and reasonable step for the
hobby. It sure is easier to convince class attendees to come to a VE
session than to travel to the nearest FCC examination location, so it's
obvious that we get more new hams with the VE system than having the FCC
administer the tests. Not to mention all the tax dollars that we're
saving. But the new hams are missing a memory that all of us old timers
have of being intimidated by the FCC exam process, and that's just a
tiny bit sad.

Times change.

73, Steve KB9X

[email protected] October 14th 07 03:14 PM

Forty Years Licensed

On Oct 13, 9:29?pm, "Howard Lester" wrote:

That white shirt and tie was pretty intimidating, wasn't it?

Not at all. Not to me, anyway.

What was intimidating was the fact that the Examiner was The Man From
FCC, who had sole power to say "You passed" or "You failed".
And if you failed, it was a 30 day minimum wait until you could try
again, plus another $9 fee.

but the man in the white shirt went over my answer sheet and
casually said,
"You passed." "I DID!?" was my trembling response....
"Yeah." Oh. I
walked out of the exam room, went down the hall, threw my pencil
in the air
over my back and kept going.

I think I had a built-in advantage.

As a kid in school, taking tests was something I was used to, at least
weekly. One or two more tests was no big thing in itself.

Once the two-year experience requirement was met, I went for Extra.
Late summer 1970, same FCC office, same examiner. I was by far the
youngest person in the crowded waiting room that day. When The Man
opened the exam room door at 8 AM sharp and asked for anyone taking
the Extra, I was the only one trying for it.

He led me to the code test table and proceeded to open a locked filing
cabinet and take out the little code machine and the paper tapes it
used that contained The Actual Test. Plus 'phones, a legal pad and #2
pencil.

That little code machine used different-sized drive rollers to change
speeds, btw, and there was a stack of test tapes for it.

I got the standard instructions: Test is five minutes of code,
examiner must find 100 consecutive correct legible characters (which
amounts to 1 minute at 20 wpm) to pass, when the code stops put the
pencil down immediately or you fail.

Examiner asks if I'm ready, I manage a "yes" and put on the cans. He
says "Go!" and starts the machine.

I started right off copying in block letters. The code is loud and
clear and machine made, easier than copying off the air. After a bit I
settle down and start to think that it's easy - I'm getting every
letter!

I see out of the corner of my eye that The Man is looking out the
window, then over at me, Then he comes around and looks over my
shoulder as I copy. Bends down to get a better look.

Then he walks around the table and shuts off the machine, even though
the code has only been going for less than two minutes.

I look up, startled. I'd heard they always gave you the full five
minutes....

"That was easy, huh kid?" asks The Man.

"Uh, yeah..." is all I can manage.

"It should be" says The Man. "That was only 13. Here's 20"

And he swapped drive spindles on the code machine and started it
again.

Yes, I passed.

Now exams are given in people's living rooms....

Nothing new about that. I took the Novice tests in K3NYT's dining
room. Spring-summer 1967.

Tomorrow it will be 40 years since the license arrived in the
mail...

Which makes it today..

Congratulations, Jim. It's quite a "club" we belong to.

Yup. But consider how few we are.

There were about 250,000 US hams back then. If we lost just 1% of
those licensed then per year, only about 167,000 of us are left, out
of over 655,000 US hams today.

If we lost 2% per year, only about 111,000 of us are left.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Howard Lester October 14th 07 04:59 PM

Forty Years Licensed

"Steve Bonine" wrote
But the new hams are missing a memory that all of us old timers have of
being intimidated by the FCC exam process, and that's just a tiny bit sad.

Steve, I think you're right - very right - especially after reading Jim's
posting that followed yours. It's an experience that few of us hams share
any more.

N7SO

The Shadow[_2_] October 14th 07 09:14 PM

Forty Years Licensed

"Howard Lester" wrote in message
"Steve Bonine" wrote
But the new hams are missing a memory that all of us old timers have of
being intimidated by the FCC exam process, and that's just a tiny bit
sad.

Steve, I think you're right - very right - especially after reading Jim's
posting that followed yours. It's an experience that few of us hams share
any more.

N7SO

Only licensed 30 years ago, but took the exam before the steely-eyed FCC
examiner at BATTERY Street in San Francisco. Back then, it was a lot tougher
to get a Ham License than it was to join the US Navy hi hi. A memorable life
experience. And the several week wait for the ticket in the mail was
unforgettable as well.

Lamont Callsign withheld in the swampy waters of the news groups (;-)

[email protected] October 14th 07 09:16 PM

Forty Years Licensed

On Oct 14, 10:03?am, Steve Bonine wrote:

I suppose that the VE system is a positive and reasonable
step for the
hobby. It sure is easier to convince class attendees to come
to a VE
session than to travel to the nearest FCC examination location,
so it's
obvious that we get more new hams with the VE system than
having the FCC
administer the tests.

I don't think it's obvious at all. Look at the growth in US amateur
radio over the decades, and the VE system by itself didn't really make
a noticeable difference in the number of new hams.

Remember too that in the mid-to-late 1970s the FCC offered
hams two test options:

1) Travel to an FCC exam point

2) Get a certain minimum number of people lined up for the
test, and FCC would send an examiner

Most hamfests above a certain size had FCC exam sessions
in that time period. Clubs and classes would have periodic exams, too.
All free.

Not to mention all the tax dollars that we're
saving.

*That* is the only reason we have the VE system, IMHO.
The FCC got unpaid volunteers to do almost all the work of test
preparation and administration, instead of paying federal
employees to do it.

But the new hams are missing a memory that all of us old timers
have of being intimidated by the FCC exam process, and that's
just a tiny bit sad.

Given the choice, I'd rather have the tests be really good ones
that are readily accessible, with as little intimidation as possible.

I think the main effect the old system had on me (and probably many
others) was that, since it was somewhat difficult/expensive
to get to an FCC exam session, and the results of failure could be
rather dire, we tended to be way overprepared for the exams, and
surprised that they weren't as tough as we'd feared once we actually
got to them.

73 de Jim, N2EY

AF6AY October 15th 07 08:53 PM

Forty Years Licensed

On Oct 12, 1:25?pm, wrote:

What do others remember?

It's a cool late February weekday in the year 1956. I am
23 and a month out of active US Army duty, having spent
the last three Army years in radio communications, I had
decided to get a civilian commercial radio operator
license two weeks prior. I've done the cram thing on over-
drive, practically memorizing all of the looseleaf notebook
FCC rules borrowed from a new friend at a broadcast
station. I walk several blocks from the train station to
the Federal Building in Chicago. I am alone, have never
been walking in downtown Chicago before...but I am
confident although a bit tired. The train ride was an
hour and a half and the flat Illinois prarie boring as usual.

The FCC Field Office is upstairs and I find it. Everything
seems to be utilitarian-government. World War II ended
11 years prior and all federal offices look "war surplus"
furnished. Three visible officials are brusque, bored, not
effusive; i.e., it's like being back in the Army. Familiar.
FCC guys are fussing with a paper-tape code machine
and one of the three radiotelegraph testees has a
problem with connecting his favorite speed key (allowed
then). I am going for radiotelephone first class. I fill
out a two-page form about myself, then do the first of
four written tests, a short one required of everyone then
about FCC organization and laws. Code beeps are
heard in the background and a telegrapher seems to be
mumbling while copying; he is advised to be quiet.

Government-issue tables are too high, government-issue
chairs too low. I pass the first test, then everyone is
interrupted by loud bell claning outside.It is a fire drill in
the Federal Building. FCC agents are not happy. I
get a cup of bad coffee from a stand at the main
entrance and do the break, waiting and waiting, my
mind reviewing what I've memorized in rules and regs.
The military had never required licensing and is not
accountable to the FCC in radio operation.

Back upstairs again to finish the parts. I have to draw
a couple schematics and explain what the parts do on
a supplied schematic. One of the tests is multiple-
choice. Not a problem, it is something almost
intuitive to me now. Regulations and special law
considerations are not. I finish the last part and
bring it to the remaining agent's desk...I wonder idly
where the other two have gone. He pulls out a
template and other test notes from under his desk
blotter. Not much "security" there. I stand quietly to
one side, sort of in civilian parade rest. After a long
time of checking and making a few notes he finally
notices another human in the office. The telegrapher
testees have finished and are gone. He looks up
and says "You passed" in a bored unenthusiastic tone.
I say "Thank you" with as much enthusiasm and leave.
I know the government drill.

It is now after lunch and the return train won't leave for
three hours. What to do? I have a hot dog from a
street vendor, good franks in Illinois and Wisconsin, as
I know. I idly look in shop windows, pass a movie
house in its last week of first-run showing of the film
"Oklahoma." It has a matinee. I buy a ticket and
watch it from the balcony, the only one up there. At
the train station I buy a copy of the Chicago Tribune
and pass the return trip time reading of news that
don't really affect my life. I have no real emotion
about the day. I was confident in passing and did.
My mind is at ease. The rest of my life awaits.

Time Machine forward to February 2007 and FCC
announcing the fateful decision of No Code Testing
for US amateur licenses. I hadn't planned on getting
a "ham ticket." I idly check for exam places near me
in Los Angeles. ARRLweb lists one on 25 February,
a Sunday, at an old firehouse across from a Ralphs
supermarket that I've shopped in for over 40 years. I
thought the one-engine firehouse had closed down
years ago? I say to myself, "Why not?" and call the
ARRL VEC team leader listed for other info. I will
miss the Fontana, CA, NASCAR race carried on
ESPN2 but we have a DVR in the cable company's
set-top box. The old one-door firehouse had been
replaced for years but is now one of the stations
of the Los Angeles Emergency Communications
Auxilliary. Nice folks in there, all pleasant and
seeming enthusiastic. I wait and wait in a room
full of strangers, all younger than myself. Actual
testing doesn't begin until an hour and a half after
scheduled time. Must be 30 to 35 folks in there by
then, most doing just routine administrative things
they could have done themselves. Why didn't they,
I wonder? No real problem but it delays license
testing. The ARRL VEC team leader knows I am
going for Extra but I get the impression he doesn't
think I can do it.

These tests are not even close to the formal testing
I've had in college classrooms. I am retired and my
"job" doesn't depend on passing this test. I will not
cease to exist if I don't pass it. I have prepared for it
and have confidence that I can pass. But...let's GET
ON with it there, people! It's at least a half hour wait
between each test element. I chat idly during
breaks with others. Most seem amazed at what I
am doing. Why, I wonder? I don't look THAT old.
Do they really stand in awe of tests? How did they
get California drivers licenses which also require
multiple-choice testing? Did some fail to graduate
high school?

There are four in this ARRL VEC team. I casually study
them as much as they seem to study me. Interesting
situation. I smile inwardly. The team leader practices
lots of testing security, even to using a small padlocked
test-material box. Every examiner checks everyone's
answers. That's good. That also slows down the
process. I was surprised to see an African-American
on the VEC team. That's a rarity in US amateur radio.

I finish the last test. The VEC leader seems really
surprised. He shakes my hand in congratulations. So
do the other three. Am I the first applicant who got
"Extra out of the box" with this VEC team? I guess so.
One of them mumbled something to that extent. Okay,
another test completed, another in many tests taken
during my life. I leave, walk across the street to get to
my car and drive a mile back to my house. My name
and new callsign (for amateur radio purposes) shows
up on FCC databases for 7 March 2007. I am 74.

Did I get all sorts of emotional goosebumps over that
ham test? No. I had planned to do it, prepared myself,
and felt confident in passing...much the same as I'd
done 51 years prior for my commercial license.
Planning, preparedness, confidence works every time.

73, Len AF6AY

Michael Coslo October 16th 07 05:10 PM

Forty Years Licensed

Steve Bonine wrote:
Howard Lester wrote:

That white shirt and tie was pretty intimidating, wasn't it?

One of the most rewarding experiences of my ham radio career was serving
as reader for a blind ham who was taking her Extra exam in Chicago, just
before the FCC stopped administering them. She wanted to take the exam
from the FCC. She passed. I felt a tiny part of her pride.

I suppose that the VE system is a positive and reasonable step for the
hobby. It sure is easier to convince class attendees to come to a VE
session than to travel to the nearest FCC examination location, so it's
obvious that we get more new hams with the VE system than having the FCC
administer the tests. Not to mention all the tax dollars that we're
saving. But the new hams are missing a memory that all of us old timers
have of being intimidated by the FCC exam process, and that's just a
tiny bit sad.

As a little counterpoint to the issue, I was licensed first in 1999
(rank newbie - HA!) and took my first Element one test in 2000.

Well, I flunked it.

What I remembered though was the examiner who labored over trying to
find the different ways that I might have squeezed through and actually
passed the thing. But it just wasn't to be. Poor guy was so apologetic
and felt so badly that I ended up feeling badly for him.

So much depends on our outlook, but I would trade that guy's kindness
and eagerness to get me into the fold, over being intimidated by the
steely eyed examiner. It made me look forward to passing my test and
getting into that fraternity. Which I did a few months later. And passed.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Steve Bonine October 16th 07 07:04 PM

Forty Years Licensed

Michael Coslo wrote:

So much depends on our outlook, but I would trade that guy's kindness
and eagerness to get me into the fold, over being intimidated by the
steely eyed examiner. It made me look forward to passing my test and
getting into that fraternity. Which I did a few months later. And passed.

Ah . . . back then, the 5 wpm code test was not administered by the FCC,
at least not for the Novice ticket. It was administered by your fellow
operator, as part of the examination for Novice.

I gave a number of Novice exams back then, and it was always a pleasure
to do so. I also taught a number of Novice classes, most of which was
code, and enjoyed doing it. Mostly I think my students enjoyed it, too.

So we got both experiences . . . an Elmer's kindness, plus the steely
eyed examiner grin (Although my memory of the examiners in Chicago is
a pretty positive one.)

73, Steve KB9X

Phil Kane October 17th 07 07:51 AM

Forty Years Licensed

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 11:59:54 EDT, "Howard Lester"
wrote:

Steve, I think you're right - very right - especially after reading Jim's
posting that followed yours. It's an experience that few of us hams share
any more.

So very true. For most hams that was the first one-on-one contact
that they had with the FCC and being told that one passed the exam
made it a positive contact. Some hams also went up to the FCC office
to look up information in the public data bases or to ask for an
interpretation of the Rules. Now one deals with the FCC via the very
impersonal internet or through a third party (privatization at its
worst) , and it's a good bet that most hams do not know the location
of the closest FCC District Office or the name and face of the
District Director or any of the field agents unless and until one
receives an inspection or Notice of Inquiry or Violation because of
some problem.

At one time the staff was encouraged to visit each ham club on a
regular basis. Everyone knew who Phil Kane was and how he could be
reached.

Those days are gone. What a loss.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Phil Kane October 17th 07 07:51 AM

Forty Years Licensed

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:14:05 EDT, wrote:

What was intimidating was the fact that the Examiner was The Man From
FCC, who had sole power to say "You passed" or "You failed".

It was the applicant who determined if the result was passing or
failing. The examiner merely reported the results.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Phil Kane October 17th 07 08:12 AM

Forty Years Licensed

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 16:16:14 EDT, wrote:

Not to mention all the tax dollars that we're
saving.

*That* is the only reason we have the VE system, IMHO.
The FCC got unpaid volunteers to do almost all the work of test
preparation and administration, instead of paying federal
employees to do it.

That is not the only reason - part of the problem was that the very
high brass had no idea why we were in the regulatory business in the
first place. That culminated in the big decimation of the field staff
in 1995-96 with the concomitant decline of the reputation and respect
that the FCC had before then.

The "tax money" that was allegedly saved was poured down other holes
that were created just because the position slots came available.

But you knew that....

DGMS
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

[email protected] October 18th 07 05:28 AM

Forty Years Licensed

On Oct 17, 2:51?am, Phil Kane wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:14:05 EDT, wrote:
What was intimidating was the fact that the Examiner was The Man From
FCC, who had sole power to say "You passed" or "You failed".

It was the applicant who determined if the result was passing or
failing. The examiner merely reported the results.

Bwaahaaahaaa! I walked right into that one, Phil!

However, didn't the examiner have to use at least some judgement as to
whether an applicant's Morse Code copy was 'legible', and whether his/
her sending was OK?

Going back before my time, when the exams involved writing essays,
drawing diagrams and showing how an answer was derived, didn't the
examiner have some judgement as to whether the applicant had properly
answered a question?

--

The way I recall it, the examiner I met wasn't so much trying to
intimidate as to simply let you know that this licensing stuff was

--

One more story:

In those days (1967-1970) the written exam questions came in a booklet
and there was a separate answer sheet for your answers. They made a
big deal about having two #2 pencils, filling in the little box
completely, erasing completely, not making stray marks on the paper,
do not bend, fold, spindle or mutilate, etc.

I'd had similar standardized tests several times in school, and there
was always an air of mystery about how the tests were graded. It was
implied that they were fed into a computer that had a no tolerance for
those who didn't follow instructions.

Being a curious sort, I asked how the machine worked, but got no
information. Top secret?

It seemed to me there were two possibilities: either there was some
form of photoelectric system that shone a light through the paper, or
there was a grid of contacts (gold plated?) that detected the answers
by the conductivity of the graphite pencil marks.

The photoelectric system seemed more workable, but the grid-of-
contacts system explained the insistence on #2 pencils.

When I went to take the test at the FCC office, I thought I might get
a glimpse of the grading machine. But there was nothing that looked
like such a device in the exam room.

When I handed in my completed written test, the examiner's assistant
pulled out what looked to me like a manila file folder. She opened it
up and slid the answer sheet inside - behind a piece of paper with
holes punched in it. She counted up the holes with marked boxes behind
them, then pulled out the answer sheet and looked for any questions
with more than one box filled in. Whole operation took very little
time. She said "You passed" and that was it.

What a letdown! No fancy machine, no photocells or gold-plated
contacts, no computer, just some pieces of paper with holes in the
right spots.

I got the distinct impression that I'd seen something I wasn't
supposed to reveal to others.

The phrase "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" took on a
whole new meaning that day.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Phil Kane October 18th 07 07:08 PM

Forty Years Licensed

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 00:28:32 EDT, wrote:

However, didn't the examiner have to use at least some judgement as to
whether an applicant's Morse Code copy was 'legible', and whether his/
her sending was OK?

Going back before my time, when the exams involved writing essays,
drawing diagrams and showing how an answer was derived, didn't the
examiner have some judgement as to whether the applicant had properly
answered a question?

Welllll....yes.

We're even! ggg
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Howard Lester October 20th 07 01:37 AM

Forty Years Licensed

"Phil Kane" wrote

Steve, I think you're right - very right - especially after reading Jim's
posting that followed yours. It's an experience that few of us hams share
any more.

So very true. For most hams that was the first one-on-one contact
that they had with the FCC and being told that one passed the exam
made it a positive contact.

Oh, it was a positive contact, all right. (I got to have two of them, both
in the NYC office.) I remember more the FCC men who set my friend and I up
with the headphones to listen to the 13 wpm tape. They were very nice to us
teenagers. It's not to say that others, who got their tickets from VE's,
don't have fond memories of *their* experiences. It's just that this was,
well, the official place, #2 pencils and all that... ;-) And it was in a
time (1963) when authority was respected a lot more than it is now.

Seriously, I attended a W5YI VE session here in Tucson about 14 years ago to
take my Extra exams. It was in someone's house, and it was so noisy, they
were having what amounted to a party while the exams were being given! I did
pass the 20wpm (it was given in a separate room), but I failed the
written.... in the party room. I was appalled at the "QRM" atmosphere. Give
me the quiet, sterile FCC exam room anytime.

Howard N7SO

Mike Coslo October 20th 07 03:56 AM

Forty Years Licensed

wrote in news:1192669855.352467.256260
@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

[...]

This kind of got me to thinking. Perhaps the judgement part is one of the
reasons that essays went away. In a related situation, the first time I
took my driving test, I went before a steely eyed Examiner, a state
policeman by the name of Nix. I aced the written part of the test, and
aced the driving test too. Then on the way back to the building where
they were headquartered, he suddenly yelled out STOP NOW! I did so
immediately, thinking there might be an emergency situation; after which
he looked at me, grinned, and said "Congratulations, YOU flunked!" When I
asked what I did wrong, He said "You didn't use your turn signal." My
test was already over, and I did everything asked, and yet I couldn't do
a thing about it.

I am a big supporter of the tests the way they are now.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

[email protected] October 20th 07 03:57 AM

Forty Years Licensed

On Oct 12, 6:25 pm, wrote:
Forty years ago today, October 12, 1967, FCC issued a Novice license
to a 13-year-old kid in the 7th grade. The license arrived two days
later, and the kid (me) went on the amateur bands for the first time
October 14, 1967.

Jim, October 14th is special for me, too. That's the date I entered
active duty.

Since then, I've has had three amateur radio callsigns, six
"permanent" QTHs, a long list of rigs, antennas, parts and test
equipment, awards earned, articles published, and tens of thousands of
QSOs. Many things in amateur radio are different now than they were
then, many things are the same.

While serving, I had seven ranks, 10 PCS moves, including two
unaccompanied short tours (12 months in 1979 and another 12 months in
1988), one long tour (1989), several deployments, lots of awards, and
got to play radio, too.

One thing that hasn't changed is that ham radio is sure a lot of fun.

Doesn't seem like 40 years, though.

In ham years, you're just getting dried behind your ears... Enjoy
anther 20 or 30 or so...

What do others remember?

73 de Jim, N2EY

I remember passing my novice test 20 years ago last November. In ham
years, I'm a rank beginner..

73, bb

[email protected] October 20th 07 04:49 PM

Forty Years Licensed

On Oct 19, 10:56?pm, Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote in news:1192669855.352467.256260
@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

Going back before my time, when the exams involved
writing essays,
drawing diagrams and showing how an answer was
derived, didn't the
examiner have some judgement as to whether
the applicant had properly
answered a question?

This kind of got me to thinking. Perhaps the judgement part
is one of the reasons that essays went away.

I agree. Your story about the driving test shows how arbitrary that
judgement could be. Things like handwriting legibility and how good
someone is at English composition could make the difference.

Another issue is the need for examiners who knew the material
well enough to grade the tests. Anybody with the right answer key
can grade a multiple-choice test but essays require a grader that
knows the stuff - and has the time.

Historically:

- Novice was always all multiple-choice.

- the pre-1953 Advanced had essays, diagrams, show-your-work problems
and multiple choice. When it was revived in 1967, it was all multiple
choice. (No Advanceds were issued from 1953 to 1967).

- Technician/General/Conditional and Extra had essays, diagrams, show-
your-work problems and multiple choice until about 1961, when the old
blue-book tests were replaced with all-multiple-choice tests.

There was not a single changeover date from blue-book to multiple
choice exams, because the examiners
were instructed to use up their existing stock of old exams before
starting to use the new ones. So depending on where you went for
the exam, you could get one or the other. I suspect that busy exam
points like NYC used up their stock of old exams very quickly, while
a less-busy place might have used them for quite a while after the
new ones came out.

- For the first two years of their existence (1951-1953), Novice and
Technician were tested at FCC offices unless the examinee could meet
the "Conditional criteria" of distance or physical disability.
After that time, those exams were issued by mail using a single
volunteer examiner, regardless of distance.

From what older amateurs have told me, the reason FCC made the

switch was that the exam points were being inundated with people,
particularly teenagers, coming to take the exams without adequate
preparation. The tests were free in those days, and a kid on summer
vacation could show up at the FCC office three times in a summer
with the 30 day wait. IMHO the FCC wanted to both reduce their
workload of failed exams and reduce the number who passed simply
because they'd gone back so many times that they'd seen all the exam
versions.

The by-mail exam process slowed things down a lot because there
was a 6-8 week processing delay at every step, plus all the work was
at FCC Hq.

All the amateur radio written exams I took were multiple choice.
None of them were difficult at all, IMHO. They did require knowing
some radio theory and regulations governing the ARS, though.

I am a big supporter of the tests the way they are now.

Two things I would change in the exam *process* (not *content*,
but *process*):

1) I would go back to the way things were in the late 1970s,
when FCC conducted the exams, both in their offices and by
request at hamfests, club meetings and almost anywhere that a
certain minimum number of examinees could be guaranteed.

2) I would make the exams themselves 'secret', that is, no more
open question pools.

Of course 2) would depend on 1). The chances of either actually
happening are probably 'slim to none'.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Dan Yemiola AI8O[_2_] October 21st 07 05:04 PM

Forty Years Licensed

"Howard Lester" wrote in message

"Phil Kane" wrote

Steve, I think you're right - very right - especially after reading Jim's
posting that followed yours. It's an experience that few of us hams share
any more.

In the mid 70's I took the first class phone exam in front of a FCC examiner
in Cincinnati.
Since there wasn't an FCC office in town they held the exam at a suburban
hotel in one of those meeting rooms where they pull out a divider to
subdivide the room. Unfortunately there was a Mary Kay Cosmetics meeting
being held on the other side of the ballroom, and every five minutes or so
Mary Kay ladies would start clapping and singing, just like camp meeting.

No "quiet, sterile FCC exam room " that day.

Steve Bonine October 21st 07 05:38 PM

Forty Years Licensed

Dan Yemiola AI8O wrote:

Unfortunately there was a Mary Kay Cosmetics meeting
being held on the other side of the ballroom, and every five minutes or so
Mary Kay ladies would start clapping and singing, just like camp meeting.

No "quiet, sterile FCC exam room " that day.

At least they tried, sort of.

My General class exam was held in the Federal Building in Knoxville, TN.
I've seen other articles here that described using headphones for code
exams; we did not have them. The room was one of those sterile 1960s
government classroom/conference rooms, and the echo was horrendous. It
was kind of like copying cw through QRN on 80 meters, which is just what
I had been doing for the past few months, so I did pass the test. But I
do wonder why headphones were provided for some exam locations, but not
for others.

73, Steve KB9X

Phil Kane October 21st 07 10:21 PM

Forty Years Licensed

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:49:24 EDT, wrote:

Another issue is the need for examiners who knew the material
well enough to grade the tests. Anybody with the right answer key
can grade a multiple-choice test but essays require a grader that
knows the stuff - and has the time.

That was the main reason. The Commercial Radiotelegraph Operator
exams has diagrams to the end, and we always had to call an engineer
to grade those questions.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Bruce in Alaska[_2_] October 21st 07 10:39 PM

Forty Years Licensed

In article ,
Steve Bonine wrote:

Dan Yemiola AI8O wrote:

Unfortunately there was a Mary Kay Cosmetics meeting
being held on the other side of the ballroom, and every five minutes or so
Mary Kay ladies would start clapping and singing, just like camp meeting.

No "quiet, sterile FCC exam room " that day.

At least they tried, sort of.

My General class exam was held in the Federal Building in Knoxville, TN.
I've seen other articles here that described using headphones for code
exams; we did not have them. The room was one of those sterile 1960s
government classroom/conference rooms, and the echo was horrendous. It
was kind of like copying cw through QRN on 80 meters, which is just what
I had been doing for the past few months, so I did pass the test. But I
do wonder why headphones were provided for some exam locations, but not
for others.

73, Steve KB9X

I took my General Test at the FCC Office in the OLD Federal Office
Building in Seattle, Washington, from the Steelie Eyed, Old Crone
named Gertrude Johnson, who was the Office Secratary. She did a
REAL Good impression of "Librarian from Hell". NO talking, no noise
of any kind, if your eyes even left your desk, you FAILED. She was
Code Proficent, clear up to 35WPM, and the EIC, Bob Deitch, was even
Better. I took my First Class Radiotelephone Exam in the same place
the next year, and Ms. Johnson was still there.
Years later, when I took the Advanced Exam, in the NEW Federal
Office Building, Bob Zinns was the examiner, and they just made you
erase all the memory in your calculator. I had it a lot easier
then, as I had been doing Marine Ship Inspections, with Inspectors
from the Seattle Office for a couple of years, and had a good
relationship whith all of them.
A few years after that, I was approched by the FCC Region X Director,
Bill Johnson, and was offered a position with the Commission as
a Resident Field Agent for Southeastern Alaska, attached to the
Anchorage Office. I spent 5 years working for them, untill the
ALGORE BloodLetting, that destroyed Field Operations as we knew
it.

Bruce in alaska AL7AQ
--
add path before @

John Siegel October 21st 07 10:39 PM

Forty Years Licensed

Steve Bonine wrote:
Dan Yemiola AI8O wrote:

Unfortunately there was a Mary Kay Cosmetics meeting being held on the
other side of the ballroom, and every five minutes or so Mary Kay
ladies would start clapping and singing, just like camp meeting.

No "quiet, sterile FCC exam room " that day.

At least they tried, sort of.

My General class exam was held in the Federal Building in Knoxville, TN.
I've seen other articles here that described using headphones for code
exams; we did not have them. The room was one of those sterile 1960s
government classroom/conference rooms, and the echo was horrendous. It
was kind of like copying cw through QRN on 80 meters, which is just what
I had been doing for the past few months, so I did pass the test. But I
do wonder why headphones were provided for some exam locations, but not
for others.

73, Steve KB9X

I took my exam in Philly in the same era. Fortunately the headphones did
help
with the jack hammers going outside.
John

Phil Kane October 21st 07 10:40 PM

Forty Years Licensed

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:49:24 EDT, wrote:

The by-mail exam process slowed things down a lot because there
was a 6-8 week processing delay at every step, plus all the work was
at FCC Hq.

Actually they were processed at the License Center in Gettysburg, PA
which still processes all licenses, inputting the data into the ULS
and printing/mailing the actual document.

1) I would go back to the way things were in the late 1970s,
when FCC conducted the exams, both in their offices and by
request at hamfests, club meetings and almost anywhere that a
certain minimum number of examinees could be guaranteed.

2) I would make the exams themselves 'secret', that is, no more
open question pools.

Of course 2) would depend on 1). The chances of either actually
happening are probably 'slim to none'.

The success of (2) depends on the willingness to prosecute any and all
persons who reveal or possess the contents of any examination without
authorization. Does the name "Dick Bash" ring any bells? It's still
a sore point with me.

The chances of either actually happening range from "none" to "what
world are you on".
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Phil Kane October 21st 07 11:07 PM

Forty Years Licensed

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:38:48 EDT, Steve Bonine wrote:

But I do wonder why headphones were provided for some exam locations, but not
for others.

It all depended on what resources the local office could scrounge up,
because the nickel-nursers at HQ were not of a mind to buy such things
in an era when we had to scrounge surplus equipment from Federal
disposal sites. Other agencies were "retiring" or discarding stuff
that was newer and better than what we had in service. For many years
our non-technical vehicles were the Fords and Chevys seized by the DEA
from low-level drug dealers. The BMWs and Mercedes of the high-level
dealers they kept for themselves.

The FCC was, and to some extent still is, a "pauper agency". They
don't get to keep any of the license fees or spectrum auction proceeds
collected, over and above the actual cost of processing the license or
running the auction.
--

"Stand Clear of the Closing Doors, Please"

Phil Kane - Beaverton, OR
PNW Milepost 755 - Tillamook District

Phil Kane October 21st 07 11:30 PM

Forty Years Licensed

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 17:39:10 EDT, Bruce in Alaska
wrote:

I spent 5 years working for them, untill the ALGORE BloodLetting, that destroyed Field
Operations as we knew it.

That was the first time that I heard Internet Al blamed for it.

I had always thought that it was Der Hundt, when The Congress laid the
task of rewriting the Cable TV rules on the agency but refused to
approve any more slots (money) for the reg-writers. and he looked
around to see who was expendable. He had no understanding of what the
field did, no matter how hard we tried, and so the blood-letting of
the field started. The then-Bureau chief (Beverly Baker, one of my
law school mentors) resigned rather than go through with it. She was
replaced by a former Chief Recruiting Sergeant for the Marine
Corps.... (no further comment)

I took early-out 10 seconds after it was offered. That's how good
morale was under that cloud 12 years ago.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Phil Kane October 21st 07 11:32 PM

Forty Years Licensed

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 17:39:28 EDT, John Siegel
wrote:

I took my exam in Philly in the same era. Fortunately the headphones did
help with the jack hammers going outside.

During most of the 1980s they were tearing up the streets outside the
San Francisco office, and we actually had to find an inside conference
room to give the code tests.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Klystron October 22nd 07 02:05 AM

Forty Years Licensed

Phil Kane wrote:
wrote:

2) I would make the exams themselves 'secret', that is, no more
open question pools.

The success of (2) depends on the willingness to prosecute any and all
persons who reveal or possess the contents of any examination without
authorization. Does the name "Dick Bash" ring any bells? It's still
a sore point with me.

The chances of either actually happening range from "none" to "what
world are you on".

You could get the same result, effectively, by increasing the size of
the question pool. Just go from the present 8 or 10 to 1 ratio (pool
size to test size) to something larger. It could be easily accomplished
with the issuance of the next set of pools.

--
Klystron

Mike Coslo October 22nd 07 03:54 AM

Forty Years Licensed

Klystron wrote in
:

You could get the same result, effectively, by increasing the size
of
the question pool. Just go from the present 8 or 10 to 1 ratio (pool
size to test size) to something larger. It could be easily
accomplished with the issuance of the next set of pools.

And yet, it begs the question of *should* the tests be harder? And
were they harder back in the day?

This is an oft contentious issue that I think it is possible that
memory might be playing a sort of trick on people.

I have done a little research on the subject, imcluding "study guides"
from the 1950's. I found the major difference was that the 1950s tests
apparently contained more tube oriented material.

I was also struck by the fact that some of the questions are verbatim
what they are now! Some of the electronic basics have not changed, and
there are apparently only so many ways to ask the same question.

My references are for Novice and General, and I can say that the Novice
written was very, very, easy. The General was of similar difficulty to
today's General test. When I can get materials for the Advanced, and
more importantly the Extra, I think I'll find a similar pattern.

My conclusions:

At least since the late 1950's, the testing was no more difficult than
it is now. Many of the questions have changed, but in the context of the
times it was quite similar.

Study guides were a substitute for question pools. Judging by the
verbatim content of some of the questions to what is in the question
pools, there must have been some relationship.

Perhaps one of the reasons that many people believe that the old time
tests were so much more difficult is that at the time, they were for the
test taker! Some yougster taking a General test back in 1957 would
indeed find the test hard. After a few decades of college, practical
learning, work, and experience, and a look at the new tests, one can be
excused in thinking that they are "easy", because after all the
knowledge accumulation, they are easy.

But not for everyone, and certainly the testing regimen should not be
tailored to the highest denominator, so to speak.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Klystron October 22nd 07 05:10 AM

Forty Years Licensed

Mike Coslo wrote:

And yet, it begs the question of *should* the tests be harder? And
were they harder back in the day?

A frequently heard position is that the elimination of the code test
should be counterbalanced by an increase in the difficulty and/or size
of the written test. I suggested that back when there still was a code
test, as a means of getting rid of the code test. At this point, I am
ambivalent on the topic. Considering the shrinking population of hams,
I'd like to keep the Technician test easy and advertise it as a foot in
the door, especially to persons who are interested in ham radio mainly
as a tool that is intended to serve other areas (emergency and disaster
relief, for example).

This is an oft contentious issue that I think it is possible that
memory might be playing a sort of trick on people.

I have done a little research on the subject, imcluding "study guides"
from the 1950's. I found the major difference was that the 1950s tests
apparently contained more tube oriented material.

I was also struck by the fact that some of the questions are verbatim
what they are now! Some of the electronic basics have not changed, and
there are apparently only so many ways to ask the same question.

My references are for Novice and General, and I can say that the Novice
written was very, very, easy. The General was of similar difficulty to
today's General test. When I can get materials for the Advanced, and
more importantly the Extra, I think I'll find a similar pattern.

I don't doubt that, but the elimination of essays and diagram drawing
questions has made the tests easier for some. Persons who can memorize
the material can get grades that are out of all proportion to their
knowledge of radio and electronics. Larger pools would change that.

[...]

I found that to be true. In the late 1970's, I bought a copy of the
Ameco study guide for the phone-one test (the thick book with an orange
cover). I was unable to read it; I made absolutely no progress with it.
Earlier this year, I used it to study for the GROL and found it quite
easy. I wondered, at the time, whether that meant that I had become
smarter.
On the other hand, some of those old study guides were clearly
inadequate for the task. I have a copy of the "General Class Amateur
License Handbook" by Howard S. Pyle, W7OE, Sams Publications
[1961,1964,1968], 136 pages. You could MEMORIZE the entire book and
still not come close to passing the test. It just glossed over the
material.

--
Klystron

[email protected] October 22nd 07 01:25 PM

Forty Years Licensed

On Oct 21, 10:54?pm, Mike Coslo wrote:
Klystron wrote :

And yet, it begs the question of *should*
the tests be harder? And
were they harder back in the day?

Depends on what you mean by "harder".

This is an oft contentious issue that I think it is possible that
memory might be playing a sort of trick on people.

I have done a little research on the subject, imcluding
"study guides"
from the 1950's. I found the major difference was that
the 1950s tests
apparently contained more tube oriented material.

I have License Manuals from 1948, 1951, 1954, 1962 and 1971.
There are more differences than just the tube emphasis.

For example, the old study guides focused on a few subjects in-depth,
and left other subjects completely alone. Lots of stuff on
power supplies, including rectifiers and filters, but almost nothing
on receivers, for example. Lots of calculations of how to know
you're in the band with a frequency meter or crystal with a certain
percentage error and a certain temperature characteristics, but
nothing on RF exposure. Etc.

I was also struck by the fact that some of the questions are
verbatim
what they are now! Some of the electronic basics have not
changed, and
there are apparently only so many ways to ask the same question.

Sure - there's only so many ways to ask for the unit of resistance.

The big thing is that the old study guides simply indicated the areas
that would be covered on the exams, not the exact Q&A nor the exact
method of the test. So some mental processing was essential.

My references are for Novice and General, and I can say
that the Novice
written was very, very, easy.

I would say it was *basic*. It covered the regulations, some theory,
and that's about it.

Novice (back then) was also a one-year, nonrenewable, one-time
license with extremely limited privileges. So its test could be very
basic and still cover the needed material.

The General was of similar difficulty to
today's General test.

IMHO, it's not about difficulty but about covering the relevant
material, and being sure the person being tested knows that material.

[...]

That's certainly true. In fact, the person to worry about is the
experienced amateur who thinks the exams are "hard" even after
gaining experience.

However, note that we cannot look at the actual exams of those days,
because they aren't available. We can only extrapolate from the study
guides. Today's tests are wide open. Big difference there!

The test-taker of those old days had no clear idea how the questions
would be worded, nor how many would be on a given subject, so the
usual response was to assume the worst and
overprepare. Then the actual test seemed relatively simple.

At least that was my experience.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Ralph E Lindberg October 22nd 07 03:29 PM

Forty Years Licensed

In article ,
Phil Kane wrote:

[...]

Some 20 years ago I had a job interview with the Regional Engineer, she
was crowing about the $100K budget plus-up he just got, I didn't have
the heart to tell him that I had a $100K pin money budget (as a minor
project lead for the DoD)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Ralph E Lindberg October 22nd 07 03:30 PM

Forty Years Licensed

In article ,
Bruce in Alaska wrote:

In article ,

[...]