Old November 26th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Looking for PSK31 advice

On Nov 25, 11:57�pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote"

Yeah, yeah, green-wire "protective ground", etc. etc. Well,
I don't see what exactly the "protection" here is doing, and
if the green-wire ground WAS supposed to be there for RFI
shielding purposes, then why does it *go away* when I
disconnect the green-wire ground?

The green wire isn't there for RFI purposes. At least not primarily.

It's there mostly for safety purposes. In case something fails inside
the power supply, the system cannot become hot-to-ground.

RFI prevention is secondary.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old November 26th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:
On Nov 25, 11:57�pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote"

Yeah, yeah, green-wire "protective ground", etc. etc. Well,
I don't see what exactly the "protection" here is doing, and
if the green-wire ground WAS supposed to be there for RFI
shielding purposes, then why does it *go away* when I
disconnect the green-wire ground?

The green wire isn't there for RFI purposes. At least not primarily.

It's there mostly for safety purposes. In case something fails inside
the power supply, the system cannot become hot-to-ground.

RFI prevention is secondary.

RE the misbehaving unit:

Jack, you probably have a number of problems going on, so I'll outline
some things you can try, and try them one at a time, so you can
troubleshoot which one might cure the problem. Some you may already have
done.

Pull the audio out cable from the laptop and have a listen to the signal
while transmitting both with and without the power supply attached.
Sound okay - the same- both times?

Get the computer and transmitter on the same mains line.

Isolate, isolate, Can you get a line isolator on that power supply, or
possibly make up a cable to run the laptop off a good power supply?

I don't know how the power plugs are in your QTH, but if you are 2
pronged no neutral, you can try reversing the plug on the Power supply.

This probably isn't the problem, but some clip on ferrites on the DC end
of the power supply can't hurt.

Can you try another laptop PS?

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

PSK31 IQ Andreas Weller General 0 September 21st 04 01:09 AM
PSK31 and such. Stuart Grey General 13 June 17th 04 11:24 PM
psk31 ic706 and VOX Jeremy Salch Digital 0 May 6th 04 12:29 AM
psk31 cable Greg Doughty Digital 0 April 23rd 04 12:17 PM
FS PSK31 CABLE FT-100 DAVID Swap 1 January 20th 04 07:55 PM