Old March 26th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Cost of internal keyer * nothing to do with cost!

Michael Coslo wrote:
I would not at all object to new license classes that were just
based on knowledge, and didn't confer any particular privileges.

That was essentially the case in 1954 when the Extra
Class license didn't confer any particular frequency
privileges. With a lowly mail-order Conditional Class
license obtained by a lowly high school junior, I earned
access to all amateur radio frequencies. ex-WN5DXP
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Old March 26th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message

: Ivor Jones wrote:
: "Michael Coslo" wrote in message
:
:
: [snip]
:
: : Minor quibble... Do you really think it is that high a
: : number? Keeping in mind that that roughly half of all
: : hams are Technicians that probably wouldn't be
: : expected to know. But of General and above, I would
: : think that most would notice.
:
: Another minor quibble - I take it by that you mean all
: *US* amateurs..?
:
:
: That would be correct. Sometimes I/we forget that this is
: an international group. Sorry about that.

No problem :-)

: Anyhow, the point is that there are a lot of Amateurs who
: might not be expected to know that there is a Keyer or
: even a Key jack on an HF radio because they wouldn't be
: expected to.

But I rather think those who do expect it would be rather annoyed if it
wasn't there. The question is what percentage of amateurs is that overall
in the market for HF radios..?

Personally I've never been interested in CW but it would be rather nice if
a radio I bought had the facility, just in case. Particularly if the
additional cost was negligible.

73 Ivor G6URP

Old March 27th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Thanks contributors.... even when all dont agree it is nice to have some
reasonable idears to
ponder,

Cheers 73