RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   Jesus knew about ham radio guys! (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/171030-jesus-knew-about-ham-radio-guys.html)

KØHB July 12th 08 02:45 AM

Jesus knew about ham radio guys!

In the gospel of Luke Chapter 14, verses 28-30, he admonishes us: "For which of
you, intending to build a tower, sits not down first and counts the cost,
whether he have sufficient to finish it? Lest haply, after he has laid the
foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him,
Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish."

--
73, de Hans, K0HB

KC4UAI July 14th 08 09:18 PM

On Jul 11, 8:45 pm, "KØHB" wrote:
In the gospel of Luke Chapter 14, verses 28-30, he admonishes us: "For

which of
you, intending to build a tower, sits not down first and counts the cost,
whether he have sufficient to finish it? Lest haply, after he has laid th

foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to moc

k him,
Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish."

LOL

I wish He had gone on and extended the PRB-1 ruling to include the
pesky CC&R's that will forever keep me from building a tower without
having to move first. I'm sure the creator of the universe has the
proper authority, even if the FCC doesn't think it does.

I so wish that the FCC could be persuaded to reconsider us hams in
their limited preemption of CC&R's and give us the same standing as TV
antennas and satellite dishes. All I want is reasonable accommodation
here. As it stands I’m left to what ever I can cram into the attic
and nothing higher than the top of the roof on my single story ranch.

If I could only put up a few supports and a 35’ vertical, what a
difference it would make.

-= KC4UAI =-

Phil Kane July 15th 08 05:55 AM

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:18:13 EDT, KC4UAI wrote:

I so wish that the FCC could be persuaded to reconsider us hams in
their limited preemption of CC&R's and give us the same standing as TV
antennas and satellite dishes.

They can be persuaded the same way that the OTARD (TV antenna and
satellite dishes) got covered -- the big money went to The Congress
and "persuaded" them to pass a law directing the FCC to exercise
preemptive jurisdiction.

At the last go-around visiting the issue, the FCC said in several
words that until such "direction" comes about with the ham community,
they will do nothing. Every time that such a bill is introduced into
The Congress, it goes nowhere.

Lest I be called an apologist, during my years on the FCC staff I
ticked off my non-ham boss when I stood up for the ham community's
needs every time. In retirement I "earn my keep" as an ARRL Volunteer
Counsel by assisting amateur licensees in "bringing the light" to
those municipalities over which the FCC's PRB-1 can exercise
preemptive jurisdiction.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel

email: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

[email protected] July 15th 08 01:32 PM

Jesus knew about ham radio guys!

(insert standard "I Am Not A Lawyer" disclaimer HERE)

On Jul 14, 4:18 pm, KC4UAI wrote:
On Jul 11, 8:45 pm, "KØHB" wrote:

I so wish that the FCC could be persuaded to reconsider us
hams in
their limited preemption of CC&R's and give us the same
standing as TV antennas and satellite dishes.

As K2ASP says, that action has to come from Congress.

IMHO, part of the problem is that CC&Rs are a different thing
than zoning ordinances and other govt. regs. Most anti-antenna
rules are essentially private contracts that you, the buyer, agreed
to when you bought the place. Asking for preemption means you
want out of that part of the deal. That's a tough sell!

It is my understanding that what drove the OTARD process for
satellite TV was that the satellite TV companies pushed the case,
and invested the sizable $$$ resources necessary to win. IIRC, their
argument was essentially that the no-TV-antennas CC&Rs effectively
created a cable-TV monopoly by making it impossible for some people to
choose satellite TV, since the dish has to have a clear view of the
sky where the satellite is. Regular broadcast TV was added to the mix
a bit later, basically on the same argument.

There was big money at stake because the satellite TV folks saw a huge
part of the TV market being off-limits to them because of
no-satellite-dish CC&Rs.

All I want is reasonable accommodation
here.

The problem is, who determines what's reasonable? In some places a
clothesline in the back yard is considered an eyesore!

As it stands I’m left to what ever I can cram into the attic
and nothing higher than the top of the roof on my single story
ranch.

Well, it's a buyer's market now....

---

Besides pushing Congress, one of the things I think we hams could do
to help the process is to never refer to amateur radio as "a hobby" or
even worse, "just a hobby". While most hams do radio simply as an
avocation, IMHO the word "hobby" carries with it a sort of meaning
that it's not a serious thing worthy of protection.

You'll never hear folks who do sports or art nonprofessionally refer
to those activities as "just a hobby". Nor will the term be used by
volunteers who donate their time and efforts to a variety of causes.

IOW, "hobbies" don't get the kind of respect we want amateur radio to
have. If we hams describe amateur radio as "just a hobby", the folks
who want to restrict us may think "well, if they say it's just a
hobby, what's the problem with a few restrictions?" and "there are all
sorts of hobbies that these homes don't accomodate, like raising
horses, target shooting, or pleasure boating with a boat that won't
fit in the garage. What's different about your radio hobby?"

You can be sure the satellite TV people pushing for the OTARD ruling
never, ever referred to watching TV as "a hobby", even though their
viewers don't get paid to watch TV.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Steve Bonine July 15th 08 01:42 PM

Phil Kane wrote:

Lest I be called an apologist, during my years on the FCC staff I
ticked off my non-ham boss when I stood up for the ham community's
needs every time. In retirement I "earn my keep" as an ARRL Volunteer
Counsel by assisting amateur licensees in "bringing the light" to
those municipalities over which the FCC's PRB-1 can exercise
preemptive jurisdiction.

Your efforts, and those of your peers, are much appreciated.

73, Steve KB9X

Doug Smith W9WI[_2_] July 15th 08 09:29 PM

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:32:00 -0400, N2EY wrote:
IMHO, part of the problem is that CC&Rs are a different thing
than zoning ordinances and other govt. regs. Most anti-antenna
rules are essentially private contracts that you, the buyer, agreed
to when you bought the place. Asking for preemption means you
want out of that part of the deal. That's a tough sell!

Morally, I would suggest that when a given CC&R restriction is universal
- when *every* acceptable property in an area carries identical
anti-antenna restrictions - then that contract provision was NOT agreed
to. It was *forced* on a buyer who does not have the option of buying a
property 5x the size (and 5x the price) of anything else in the
neighborhood/living on a street with four crack houses/living 50 miles
from work/etc..

In a moral world, the amateur should be able to invalidate anti-antenna
restrictions by showing that no comparable property was available that
lacked those restrictions.

Of course, in the real legal and political world, no such right exists or
is likely to come into being...

,
since the dish has to have a clear view of the sky where the satellite
is. Regular broadcast TV was added to the mix a bit later, basically on
the same argument.

And, I would suggest, supported by a cable TV industry that wanted
to be deregulated, something that wasn't going to happen if a large
fraction of their customers had no alternative.

Phil Kane July 15th 08 10:56 PM

Jesus knew about ham radio guys!

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:29:11 EDT, Doug Smith W9WI
wrote:

Morally, I would suggest that when a given CC&R restriction is universal
- when *every* acceptable property in an area carries identical
anti-antenna restrictions - then that contract provision was NOT agreed
to. It was *forced* on a buyer .... [snipped]

In a moral world, the amateur should be able to invalidate anti-antenna
restrictions by showing that no comparable property was available that
lacked those restrictions.

Both of those points were made in the League's last assault on the
problem and those arguments fell on deaf ears. That's when the
Commission made it clear that they will move if and only if The
Congress orders it to.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel

email: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Dick Grady AC7EL July 16th 08 01:16 AM

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:32:00 EDT, wrote:

[...]

Then what do we call it? Avocation? Pasttime? no, none of these terms seem
appropriate, either.

I know! It's emergency preparation and training. Now that's sounds
impressive..
73 de Dick, AC7EL

KØHB July 16th 08 11:01 AM

wrote in message

Besides pushing Congress, one of the things I think we
hams could do to help the process is to never refer to
amateur radio as "a hobby" or even worse, "just a hobby".

But ham radio's dirty little secret is that we have let it become "just a
hobby". With the exception of 2M most of our VHF/UHF spectrum is shared with
"real" users like DoD who tolerate our presence and because they are NTIA (not
FCC) controlled are (at least for now) immune to auctions. Our HF spectrum
isn't particularly attractive for commercial applications. Were it not for
those fortunate circumstances, our allocations would have been auctioned long
ago.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Michael Coslo July 16th 08 08:30 PM

On Jul 14, 4:18 pm, KC4UAI wrote:
On Jul 11, 8:45 pm, "KØHB" wrote:

[...]

Sure, and considering that the antenna restrictions served to
monopolize access to the cable industry. It is hard to argue that
allowing satellite dishes wasn't a fair and equitable thing to do.

All I want is reasonable accommodation
here.

The problem is, who determines what's reasonable? In some places a
clothesline in the back yard is considered an eyesore!

A mile or so from us, there is one of those places. No clotheslines, no
kids stuff in yards, all landscaping must be approved. Almost everything
about your home life is tightly regulated. People who live in a place
that restrictive deserve it.

As it stands I’m left to what ever I can cram into the attic
and nothing higher than the top of the roof on my single story
ranch.

Well, it's a buyer's market now....

As I peruse through the real estate guides, I'm struck by the number of
homes that are available that do not have restrictive covenants. Even
the village that I live in does not have ban antennas. So I have a nice
woodsey atmosphere, and can do most of the things I want. I wasn't
allowed to set up my still to make corn squeezins! hehe

But my point is that if people are looking for a house, there are
options. It's also very important to read all that boring stuff. I
wonder how many Hams who live in a place that prohibits antennas read
the fineprint.

Another tactic is to ask if you can put up an antenna, and if the answer
is no, then politely say, "Too bad-see you later!". If the real estate
agent loses a few sales for something silly like that, then they will
start looking into it.

[...]

I agree!

Here are some ideas:

The old vertical as a flagpole. Its a sorry bunch who wouldn't approve a
flagpole.

Most multiband verticals can be tilted over with kits sold for that
purpose. Maybe that can be hid though the day.

Maybe it's time to install a yard watering sytem. They always increase
the value of the house, and elicit pleased smiles from HOA people. Maybe
a lot of wire for radials could be installed at the same time....

I have a radial installation method that I can discuss off-list if you
are curious.

Couple the radials to either:

That flagpole that the HOA would refuse at risk of being ostracized.

If the house has plastic gutters, run a wire around them. I'm sure that
is part of a defrosting system - Really, it could be!

Maybe an antenna that fits in the umbrella holder on your deck or patio.
Good candidates for that are simple verticals, or I like Bugcatchers
antennas, though they aren't as convenient for band changing.
The trick is to make the setup so that it is easy to set up in the dark.

There are other candidates such as Outbackers. Some folks use Buddipoles
put together as a dipole.

In-house antennas are pretty much last on my list.

There is almost always a way.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Jeffrey D Angus July 17th 08 01:35 AM

Michael Coslo wrote:
Here are some ideas:

The old vertical as a flagpole.

[ Etc. ]

Mind if I play devils advocate here for a minute?

Where is it written that as Licensed Amateur Radio Operators
we have a fair pass to ignore the rules?

What part of "no antennas" in the CC&R you signed do you not
understand?

"But but but, I'm a Ham radio operator!"

I'm sorry, I just keep seeing this same thing over and over
and over and I don't buy it.

(Along with, since I have a license, I don't need a permit to
put up a tower.)

Jeff-1.0
wa6vfi

[email protected] July 17th 08 01:45 AM

On Jul 16, 3:30 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
wrote:
(insert standard "I Am Not A Lawyer" disclaimer HERE)

I'm still not a lawyer...

On Jul 14, 4:18 pm, KC4UAI wrote:
On Jul 11, 8:45 pm, "KØHB" wrote:

There was big money at stake because the satellite TV folks saw a huge

and expanding

part of the TV market being off-limits to them because of
no-satellite-dish CC&Rs.

Sure, and considering that the antenna restrictions serve

d to
monopolize access to the cable industry. It is hard to argue that
allowing satellite dishes wasn't a fair and equitable thing to do.

There was also the issue that watching TV in one's home, be it a tiny
studio apartment or a giant estate or anything in between, was a
right of any resident, rental, owner, condo, etc. Nobody wanted to
deny *that* right!

Amateur radio doesn't have the same protections.

The problem is, who determines what's reasonable? In some places a
clothesline in the back yard is considered an eyesore!

A mile or so from us, there is one of those places. No clotheslines, no
kids stuff in yards, all landscaping must be approved. Almost everything
about your home life is tightly regulated. People who live in a place
that restrictive deserve it.

Agreed.

As I peruse through the real estate guides, I'm struck by the number of
homes that are available that do not have restrictive covenants. Even
the village that I live in does not have ban antennas. So I have a nice
woodsey atmosphere, and can do most of the things I want. I wasn't
allowed to set up my still to make corn squeezins! hehe

But my point is that if people are looking for a house, there are
options. It's also very important to read all that boring stuff. I
wonder how many Hams who live in a place that prohibits antennas read
the fineprint.

There are plenty of unrestricted places on the market *now*, because
of
the RE market slump and the mortgage crisis.

But not so long ago, it was a different game. At least around here,
houses
would often be sold the afternoon they went on the market. It was not
unusual for
a house to have multiple offers above the asking price with a
preapproved
mortgage and no conditions on the offer.

In such a market, simply finding out if a place was antenna-restricted
is a real problem.
There are deed restrictions on my 1950-built house (none address
antennas) but to
find them out my RE lawyer had to go to the county courthouse and ask
the right
person for them.

You can only buy a house that is for sale at the time you are looking
to buy. If you
happen to need to move at a time when the market is hot, you're at a
distinct
disadvantage.

Another tactic is to ask if you can put up an antenna, and if the answer
is no, then politely say, "Too bad-see you later!". If the real estate
agent loses a few sales for something silly like that, then they will
start looking into it.

Yes and no.

For one thing, *NEVER* take a verbal response as binding in such a
situation.
Just because the seller or the agent says "yes" or "we can get that
changed"
does NOT mean there are no restrictions! You and your RE attorney need
see the actual documents themselves and go over every word to make
sure
there are no restrictions.

For example, the word "antenna" may not appear anywhere. But there may
be
a restriction that says "No structure may exceed a height of 35
feet" (or whatever). A tower
may be considered a structure in that situation, so if you want a 50
foot tower, you're out
of luck.

Deed covenants and restrictions are usually designed so that they
cannot easily be removed
even if all parties want to remove them. The usual way it works is
that each buyer agrees, when
buying the property, to pass them on to the next buyer. So the seller,
and the seller's agent,
may not have the right to remove them even if s/he wants to!

Once the sale is done and you've moved in, it's too late.

IMHO, one of the biggest mistakes many people make is assuming that
because they've read
the Constitution, they don't need a lawyer for things like buying a
house. In many situations
that's a sure-fire path to problems.

Some other problems:

1) A considerable number of hams today were not hams when they moved
into their current
homes. Antennas weren't an issue when the moved - now they are.

2) Considerations such as cost and location are not the same
everywhere. "Move to the
country" isn't always an option if doing so means one or both spouses'
jobs are going to
be at the end of a long and expensive commute. School district and
access to various
services (like health care) are considerations too.

3) In my limited experience, antenna-restricted properties tend to be
less expensive than
unrestricted ones. This flies in the face of the old "property values"
argument, but it
makes sense when you consider that many restricted places have HOA
fees and such,
and that the restrictions often make doing even simple things
expensive (you have to use
a certain paint, buy exact replacements for fixtures like doors and
windows, and get
approval for *everything*. So if you are on a limited budget (who
isn't?), the restricted
properties may appear to be a better deal for your money.

There are bigger, newer and more modern houses near me that are priced
the same as
the little boxes made of ticky-tacky I and my neighbors live in. But
those houses are
restricted in ways that ours aren't.

[...]

A few years back, a WW2 veteran in his '80s put up a flagpole in his
yard.
Every morning he'd raise Old Glory, every night he'd take it down. He
had
two grandkids on active duty in Iraq. The HOA went after him because
freestanding flagpoles were specifically prohibited in the rules.
Being in
the paper and on TV did not faze them; the rules said no flagpoles and
they
were going to enforce those rules.

I think the WW2 vet moved.

Most multiband verticals can be tilted over with kits sold for that
purpose. Maybe that can be hid though the day.

This is a very good idea. While it may not be fun to go outside and
install the antenna before
each operating session, it's a solution.

One homebrew way would be to bury a pipe vertically in the ground and
cut it off at the surface.
A cap would keep debris out when not in use.

The antenna assembly consists of the vertical and a piece of pipe that
will just fit in the
buried pipe. Quick connections to the coax and radial system (both
buried) complete it.

To go on the air, the cap is removed, the antenna assembly raised and
the bottom end put in the hole,
and the connections made.

If the house has plastic gutters, run a wire around them. I'm sure that
is part of a defrosting system - Really, it could be!

The trick is to make the setup so that it is easy to set up in the dark.

And take down.

However even such solutions may not work in some areas. The Gladys
Kravitz
factor looms large in them.

73 de Jim, N2EY

[email protected] July 17th 08 01:46 AM

On Jul 15, 8:16 pm, Dick Grady AC7EL wrote:
[...]

We don't need to call it anything other than "Amateur Radio". The
person who
gardens/landscapes doesn't use the word "hobby", s/he says "I'm a
gardener"
and that's it.

The amateur artist who paints, sculpts, does pottery, photography,
woodwork or any
of a range of other activities does not use the word "hobby" either.

I know! It's emergency preparation and training. Now that's sounds
impressive..

We don't need to sound impressive. All we need to do is not sound
apologetic.
"Just a hobby" sounds self-denigrating to me.

Part 97 does not use the word "hobby". Neither should we.

Consider the following conversations:

Conversation 1

"What's that wire up there?"

"It's my ham radio antenna"

"What's ham radio?"

"It's just a hobby where I talk to other ham radio operators."

"Why would you want to do that? Don't you have a telephone and
the internet?"

Conversation 2

"What's that wire up there?"

"It's the antenna for my Amateur Radio station"

"What's Amateur Radio?"

"It's a form of noncommercial radio by which licensed
radio operators all over the world communicate with each other
using a wide variety of methods and technologies."

Which do you think sounds better to a non-ham?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Mike Coslo July 17th 08 04:16 AM

Jesus knew about ham radio guys!

Jeffrey D Angus wrote in
:

Michael Coslo wrote:
Here are some ideas:

The old vertical as a flagpole.

[ Etc. ]

Mind if I play devils advocate here for a minute?

Where is it written that as Licensed Amateur Radio Operators
we have a fair pass to ignore the rules?

Well, we don't really. I only offer advice to those who might have made
a mistake.

What part of "no antennas" in the CC&R you signed do you not
understand?

"But but but, I'm a Ham radio operator!"

I'm sorry, I just keep seeing this same thing over and over
and over and I don't buy it.

I think that in most cases, the Ham didn't read the fine print, or they
might not have been a Ham when they bought the house.

I've been a long term advocate of knowing what you are getting into. I'm
one of thos insufferable geeks that irritate the lawyers and other
people present by reading over the fine print. I'm a quick reader though
- it is 5 to 10 minutes well spent. I even read equipment manuals,
heheh.

I wouldn't buy a house in a neighborhood that wouldn't allow mw to put
up an antenna.

But I know that not everyone is so careful - and I don't think that they
should be punished forever. I think that the fight to give them access
to the airwaves is a good fight.

All that being said, who would want to live in those neighborhoods
anyway? All we have to do is keep the grass cut, the house in good
repair, and no junk cars sitting around. And our neighborhood is a
showpiece. My antennas notwithstanding.

(Along with, since I have a license, I don't need a permit to
put up a tower.)

Well now there is a different kettle of fish. A tower can be a
major liability. We can have them here, but they must be approved by an
engineer. And I agree with that, even if they take the arbitrary "100
percent height fall radius circle". I don't know if any tower has fallen
that way.

At least I wouldn't have to fight the township just to put one up.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Mike Coslo July 17th 08 04:18 AM

Jesus knew about ham radio guys!

wrote in news:ada680e6-7277-4ad6-80c7-7ff2cd39d8d7
@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

On Jul 16, 3:30 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:

snippage

[...]

I can't make too many excuses for those who are in large part
responsible for the terrible mess we are in today.

When we bought our house, we told the RE agent what we were going to
pay, what we were going to accept, and what we weren't. Given that we
planned on buying a house for about 60 percent of the Max amount that the
bank would loan us, the Real Estate people were always trying to push us up
into a higher price range. We fired 2 agents before we landed a good one.

The rest we invested very conservatively. And the real estate agents
and many friends condsidered me an idiot - until recently

In such a market, simply finding out if a place was antenna-restricted
is a real problem. There are deed restrictions on my 1950-built house

(none address antennas) but to find them out my RE lawyer had to go to the
county courthouse and ask the right person for them.

Yup, that's what you have to do

You can only buy a house that is for sale at the time you are looking
to buy. If you happen to need to move at a time when the market is hot,
you're at a distinct disadvantage.

A sound piece of financial advice is never ever buy a house under duress!
Liv in an apartment or rental house for a while if need be, but never buy
because you think you have to. There will be a lot of time to repent at
leisure.

Another tactic is to ask if you can put up an antenna, and if the answer
is no, then politely say, "Too bad-see you later!". If the real estate
agent loses a few sales for something silly like that, then they will
start looking into it.

Yes and no.

For one thing, *NEVER* take a verbal response as binding in such a
situation. Just because the seller or the agent says "yes" or "we can get
that changed" does NOT mean there are no restrictions! You and your RE
attorney need to see the actual documents themselves and go over every
word to make sure there are no restrictions.

Agreed! Our attorney is great, and he worked for the money we paid him.
Checked out all the restrictions and everything else. (as s side note, he
refused to participate in any of the wacky mortgages that have been going
around.

For example, the word "antenna" may not appear anywhere. But there may
be
a restriction that says "No structure may exceed a height of 35
feet" (or whatever). A tower
may be considered a structure in that situation, so if you want a 50
foot tower, you're out
of luck.

Deed covenants and restrictions are usually designed so that they
cannot easily be removed even if all parties want to remove them. The
usual way it works is that each buyer agrees, when
buying the property, to pass them on to the next buyer. So the seller,
and the seller's agent,may not have the right to remove them even if s/he
wants to!

For me it is pretty simple. I don't buy unless the glove fits my hand. If I
want to put up an antenna, I'm going to make sure that I can.

I'd have to respectfully say that too many people seem to think that they
have to buy the house, whatever is offered. I walked away from several
houses when I was looking. It isn't my responsibility to buy the house.

Once the sale is done and you've moved in, it's too late.

IMHO, one of the biggest mistakes many people make is assuming that
because they've read the Constitution, they don't need a lawyer for
things like buying a house. In many situations that's a sure-fire path to
problems.

Never looked at it that way Jim, but that's the truth! We had our lawyer in
the picture from the start - and he was worth every cent we paid him.

Some other problems:

1) A considerable number of hams today were not hams when they moved
into their current homes. Antennas weren't an issue when the moved - now
they are.

2) Considerations such as cost and location are not the same
everywhere. "Move to the country" isn't always an option if doing so
means one or both spouses'jobs are going to be at the end of a long and
expensive commute. School district and access to various services (like
health care) are considerations too.

As a counterpoint, in the central PA area, if your not an academic or well
heeled staff, you can't afford to live near the city. Probably 60 percent
of the people who work here don't live here. It's a well known problem that
we don't have what is called "affordable housing".

snippage

A few years back, a WW2 veteran in his '80s put up a flagpole in his
yard. Every morning he'd raise Old Glory, every night he'd take it down.
He had two grandkids on active duty in Iraq. The HOA went after him
because freestanding flagpoles were specifically prohibited in the rules.
Being in the paper and on TV did not faze them; the rules said no
flagpoles and they were going to enforce those rules.

I think the WW2 vet moved.

Arrgh, I can feel my blood pressure going up.........

MOving was his best solution. No one should live near jerks like that.

Most multiband verticals can be tilted over with kits sold for that
purpose. Maybe that can be hid though the day.

This is a very good idea. While it may not be fun to go outside and
install the antenna before each operating session, it's a solution.

One homebrew way would be to bury a pipe vertically in the ground and
cut it off at the surface. A cap would keep debris out when not in use.

That is how I mount my Vertical. I don't have to take it down, but it is
convenient for tuning the antenna, which has to be don every so often.

The antenna assembly consists of the vertical and a piece of pipe that
will just fit in the
buried pipe. Quick connections to the coax and radial system (both
buried) complete it.

To go on the air, the cap is removed, the antenna assembly raised and
the bottom end put in the hole,
and the connections made.

If the house has plastic gutters, run a wire around them. I'm sure that
is part of a defrosting system - Really, it could be!

The trick is to make the setup so that it is easy to set up in the dark.

And take down.

However even such solutions may not work in some areas. The Gladys
Kravitz factor looms large in them.

Did you see the videos about the housing development where some neighbors
were complaining about the fellow who had a Steppir beam on a nice tower?
Turned out in that development they couldn't do a thing about it.

Personally the antenna and tower was a thing of beauty AFAIAC, certainly
more attractive than those who were complaining about it. Nice house, nice
yard, nice antenna. If you didn't see it, I'll try to find the link.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

KC4UAI July 17th 08 09:17 PM

On Jul 16, 7:45 pm, wrote:
On Jul 16, 3:30 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:

There are plenty of unrestricted places on the market *now*, because
of
the RE market slump and the mortgage crisis.

Maybe in your area, but where I live CC&R's are the rule and they will
all pretty much restrict antennas for ham radio use. It all depends
on when the average house was built in your area. The standard way
this works here in the Dallas area is developer buys large tract of
land, applies CC&R's to the tract, subdivides and develops the land to
sell the houses he builds. He throws in a pool and play ground across
from the model homes which is owned by the HOA that gets created by
the CC&R's. 99-100% of the new homes available in the area I live will
come with CC&R's based on these boilerplates. (Personally I know of
NO new homes in my current price range for sale with 10 miles of my
house that won't have CC&R's.)

I've seen only ONE subdivision in my area that would have allowed
antennas in their CC&R's but it was a very special case. The CC&R's
didn't originate with a builder, but where adopted by the land owners
AFTER the subdivision was plated. Those CC&R's where a model of
simplicity and basically dealt with keeping unsightly things to a
minimum. (Keep your house painted a normal color and in good repair,
no junk cars, lawns mowed, fences in good repair etc.)

The problem is that the big builders have boiler plate CC&R's that
change very little between subdivisions. All of these boiler plates
contain restrictions on antennas and are constructed to never expire.
More and more land is becoming off limits to ham radio antennas and
this is a bigger problem in areas that have been under active
development for the last 20-30 years such as Dallas.

Therefore I have to object to the "just move" response to the plight
of hams in CC&R communities. It may be an option for some, but for
others it may not. At some point I may choose to move, and CC&R
restrictions on antennas will likely be something I look at. I can
tell you that I won't be able to buy a comparable house for the same
money without CC&R's in Murphy or the surrounding area. There are
areas that allow them, but they do not compare with where I live in
price or age. Yes, I could drive 40 more miles a day and perhaps find
something that would work, but with the cost of driving these days I’d
be moving into less of a house for sure to make ends meet.

In addition to this, all the CC&R's I've read in my area are usually
drafted to NEVER expire. The only way they will go away is if all the
land owners agree to it (fat chance of that). This land will forever
be of limits for antennas. Year after year as new subdivisions are
built, more and more land will be CC&R's restricted unless they are
limited by law.

As an aside on CC&R's which are all the rage... There are fundamental
problems with CC&R's and pesky HOA's under the current law. Depending
on how they are drafted, they can end up causing some seemingly very
unreasonable consequences for homeowners that may not be obvious by
reading them. Personally, I think they should be put under some
really strict legal limits and the powers of HOA's strictly limited.
But all that is another issue...

All in all I can only hope that this CC&R Craze comes to an end pretty
soon. I don't think they are as much a benifit to landowners as they
are thought to be. But until they fall out of favor to the public or
get pre-empted by law they will only increase in coverage.

Personally, that scares me.

-= Bob =-

Howard Lester July 18th 08 12:27 AM

Jesus knew about ham radio guys!

"KC4UAI" wrote

Maybe in your area, but where I live CC&R's are the rule and they will
all pretty much restrict antennas for ham radio use. It all depends
on when the average house was built in your area.

All of what you wrote applies to housing here in Tucson. Seems that only if
you're a multi-millionaire can you buy land (if there's any left) and build
your own custom home... completely outside of restrictions (other than
towers, etc.)

I live in one of these CC&R developments, and I'm fortunate to be able to
have something of an antenna in my backyard: an MFJ Hi-Q 10-30m Loop on a 5'
pole. While it's VERY visible from the street (and is quite an effective
antenna), over the 10+ years I've lived here no one's said a word. The
CC&R's state "no antennas without permission." I never asked. That statement
was written, BTW, before the FCC demanded the allowance of tv antennas and
satellite dishes.

When guests ask what my [MFJ antenna] is, I tell them it's my yard
sculpture. I'm fortunate to be under an HOA that's more relaxed than a lot
of the others I've heard about.

N7SO

Mike Coslo July 18th 08 07:06 AM

Jesus knew about ham radio guys!

"Howard Lester" wrote in
acomip:

"KC4UAI" wrote

Maybe in your area, but where I live CC&R's are the rule and they will
all pretty much restrict antennas for ham radio use. It all depends
on when the average house was built in your area.

All of what you wrote applies to housing here in Tucson. Seems that
only if you're a multi-millionaire can you buy land (if there's any
left) and build your own custom home... completely outside of
restrictions (other than towers, etc.)

I can find a lot of houses in this area that don't allow much of anything
too. I'd respectfully suggest that people might look a little harder based
on the fact that a whole lot of people in this area believe that even my
neighborhood will not allow antennas, and don't believe me when I tell them
it does.

If it is true that there is no land available in either Dallas or Tucson
that would allow antennas, then that is indeed sad. I simply would not live
there.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Larry Weil July 18th 08 02:05 PM

Jesus knew about ham radio guys!

Dick Grady AC7EL wrote in
:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:32:00 EDT, wrote:

Besides pushing Congress, one of the things I think we hams could do
to help the process is to never refer to amateur radio as "a hobby" or
even worse, "just a hobby". While most hams do radio simply as an
avocation, IMHO the word "hobby" carries with it a sort of meaning
that it's not a serious thing worthy of protection.

Then what do we call it? Avocation? Pasttime? no, none of these
terms seem appropriate, either.

I know! It's emergency preparation and training. Now that's sounds
impressive..
73 de Dick, AC7EL

How about "service". The Amateur Radio Service!

73 de KC1IH

Howard Lester July 19th 08 12:28 AM

Jesus knew about ham radio guys!

"Mike Coslo" wrote

If it is true that there is no land available in either Dallas or Tucson
that would allow antennas, then that is indeed sad. I simply would not
live
there.

Mike, there is land and housing in Tucson that allows antennas, but in
general, as far as I know either you have to be "out in the county," or in
an older, very established neighborhood. That seems to be "in general," as
I'm sure there are exceptions. But if you want a new, modest home in a
typical family-oriented subdivision, it is not at all likely you'll find one
that allows antennas. If you've "got money," then your options are greater.

Howard N7SO

Phil Kane July 21st 08 12:41 AM

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:30:19 EDT, Michael Coslo wrote:

Another tactic is to ask if you can put up an antenna, and if the answer
is no, then politely say, "Too bad-see you later!". If the real estate
agent loses a few sales for something silly like that, then they will
start looking into it.

We did that when we went looking for this house 9 years ago. Our
Realtor was firmly in our camp, but the houses just weren't there. We
turned down three houses that were nicer than the one we're in just
because of that. Our other "must have" was that it had to be within
one block of a bus stop. That we are.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Phil Kane July 21st 08 12:53 AM

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 20:45:50 EDT, wrote:

There was also the issue that watching TV in one's home, be it a tiny
studio apartment or a giant estate or anything in between, was a
right of any resident, rental, owner, condo, etc. Nobody wanted to
deny *that* right!

Amateur radio doesn't have the same protections.

"... among those rights are life, liberty, and the pursuit of
happiness.... (from that radical document, the Declaration of
Independence)

I pursue my happiness with a K2 and an all-band antenna....

What the _Howard_ case said is that an amateur license doesn't grant a
right to erect any antenna of the licensee's choosing (as against the
regulatory authority of the jurisdiction filtered through PRB-1).

It's still basic, though, that a HOA Rule or CC&R cannot prohibit
amateur radio operation per se.

(I don't play a lawyer on TV, I'm too busy being one... ) ggg
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel

email: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Michael Coslo July 22nd 08 02:52 AM

wrote:
On Jul 18, 7:28 pm, "Howard Lester" wrote:

there is land and housing in Tucson that allows antennas, but in
general, as far as I know either you have to be "out in the county," or i

an older, very established neighborhood. That seems to be "in general," a

I'm sure there are exceptions. But if you want a new, modest home in a
typical family-oriented subdivision, it is not at all likely you'll find

one
that allows antennas. If you've "got money," then your options are greate

r.

As previously observed, one can only buy what is for sale when one is
looking to buy. There are several houses near me that I would gladly
move to - but they're not for sale, and haven't been for at least a
decade.

Respectfully Jim, I think that is just simplified too much.

While it is true within itself, It is possible to get the house that you
want, and with the features you want.

You just might have to wait a while. We looked several times before we
bought the place we are in now. Some times we just didn't buy.

This is the part that I do that is apparently foreign to many. The is no
law that says that we have to buy a house, some house, any house. One
can live in an apartment for a while, or as we did, a mobile home. It
took about 2 years, but we got a real bargain at the price we wanted, in
the neighborhood we wanted. Sold the mobile home for nearly what we paid
for it, and were out only the lot rent. House rent would have been a bit
more outlay, but it's still worth it to get the house you want.

I did the same thing with a motorcycle I bought recently. I could have
bought new or what the dealers wanted and had the bike I wanted in
around 15 minutes. I looked and waited for a month to find a motivated
seller, and got a good bike for thousands less.

And back to Ham radio, I have bought all my used radios that way. Got an
IC-745 for $250, and my latest, an IC-761 for 300 dollars. I just had to
wait and pounce at the right time.

Patience will reward you. Buy exactly what you want, not the one that
you think is best when you first start looking

I am curious, though, about some things that seem pretty common in
amateur discussions about HOAs and CC&Rs.

It seems to me that a lot of amateurs insist on a new house, or at
least a newer house, meaning something no older than 10-20 years.
Older homes are simply off the radar, for some reason. Is it just me,
or is this a real trend? What's behind it?

Jim, what I think it is is that we are hearing mostly from those who
are having trouble putting up an antenna, and since they are mostly from
the newr home group, they are more likely to be people who insist on a
newer home. Just a guess.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

[email protected] July 22nd 08 05:07 AM

On Jul 17, 4:17 pm, KC4UAI wrote:
On Jul 16, 7:45 pm, wrote:
[...]

That's pretty much the pattern for developments everywhere. And not
just large developments either.

There is an way, however. Doesn't work all the time but it has worked
in some, and may be worth a try in this RE market.

(insert standard "not a lawyer" disclaimer HERE)

The way deed restrictions & covenants work in the areas I know of is
that they are recorded when the property is first sold. And of course
one of the restrictions is that each owner has to pass the
restrictions on to the next owner.

But in some cases, the first buyer can say "NO!" to the developer, and
get restrictions removed *before* the sale. So while the rest of the
properties may be restricted, that one isn't.

HOA rules are another issue completely, but the same approach may
work.

In a market where the developer is desperate to sell, a buyer who is
ready to sign on the dotted line if certain conditions are met may be
a big incentive to remove some boilerplate.

However, this is not something to try without expert RE legal counsel
to make absolutely sure you have airtight exemption *before* you sign
anything. Verbal assurances mean nothing; it's gotta be in clear
writing and properly recorded.

Of course you've got to be ready to simply walk away if they say no or
even if they hem and haw.

I've seen only ONE subdivision in my area that would have allowed
antennas in their CC&R's but it was a very special case. The
CC&R's
didn't originate with a builder, but where adopted by the land
owners
AFTER the subdivision was plated. Those CC&R's where a model of
simplicity and basically dealt with keeping unsightly things to a
minimum. (Keep your house painted a normal color and in good
repair,
no junk cars, lawns mowed, fences in good repair etc.)

That brings up another point: Local governments pawning off
responsibility.

In every house I've lived in, things like no junk cars, lawn mowing,
barking dogs, trash, general repair and such were handled by various
government ordinances about nuisances. Be a bad neighbor and the local
gendarmes will show up with a notice of violating some ordinance or
other.

IMHO some local governments, rather than pass and enforce such
ordinances, depend on the HOAs and CC&Rs to do it for them. "Keeps the
taxes down" is their excuse, but of course the enforcement comes out
of HOA fees.

The problem is that the big builders have boiler plate CC&R's that
change very little between subdivisions. All of these boiler plates
contain restrictions on antennas and are constructed to never
expire.

Not just big developers either.

More and more land is becoming off limits to ham radio
antennas and
this is a bigger problem in areas that have been under active
development for the last 20-30 years such as Dallas.

The cure is for lots of people to write Congress and get them to order
FCC to expand the OTARD preemption. FCC has clearly said they will do
it when Congress tells them to.

Therefore I have to object to the "just move" response to the plight
of hams in CC&R communities. It may be an option for some,
but for
others it may not. At some point I may choose to move, and
CC&R
restrictions on antennas will likely be something I look at. I can
tell you that I won't be able to buy a comparable house for the
same
money without CC&R's in Murphy or the surrounding area. There
are
areas that allow them, but they do not compare with where I live in
price or age.

IMHO, one of the things that keeps the price of restricted houses down
is the restrictions! Another is the HOA fees and added cost of keeping
the place up to HOA standards. I've seen it in action.

Yes, I could drive 40 more miles a day and perhaps find
something that would work, but with the cost of driving these
days I’d
be moving into less of a house for sure to make ends meet.

40 miles a day in a small car is maybe $6 in gas....

IMHO, a house where you can't have antennas is less of a house than
one where you can.

There are fundamental
problems with CC&R's and pesky HOA's under the current
law. Depending
on how they are drafted, they can end up causing some
seemingly very
unreasonable consequences for homeowners that may not be
obvious by reading them.

Such as?

The one I can think of off-hand has to do with energy. As far as I can
tell, the days of cheap plentiful energy are ending, and we're going
to see higher prices not just for gasoline but for electricity and
natural gas.

One way to cope will be to use less energy and to use alternate
technologies. For example, whenever the weather is nice I hang clothes
on the line rather than use the dryer. Saves a couple of kWh per load.
At 15 cents per kWh it adds up, plus in the summertime it reduces the
load on the air conditioner.

Some folks around here have solar hot water heaters that reduce the
need for the regular hot water heater to turn on. The panels are on
the roof, facing south.

We may someday see low-cost wind and solar electric power systems for
homes. Depending on the wind and sun conditions where you live, and
how much electricity costs, they may someday be a reasonable
alternative for part of the electrical load.

But if CC&Rs ban such things, some folks will be very unhappy.

Personally, I think they should be put under some
really strict legal limits and the powers of HOA's strictly limited.
But all that is another issue...

Not really. Part of the problem is that a lot of folks don't really
know what they're getting into when they buy.

Friend of mine bought into such a place, and after some time
discovered that the upstairs windows leaked. The construction was
rather slipshod IMHO but caulk had worked for a couple of years. But
now he had a major job to fix the problem.

But he couldn't just fix it - he had to get HOA approval every step of
the way. He had to buy exact replacement windows, even though better
ones were available for the same money, because the better ones
weren't HOA approved. He had to get a certain kind of trim and paint
and such, at high prices, not because it was high quality, but because
the stuff wasn't stock anymore.

What was a simple project that could have been a major improvement
turned into a major headache that cost lots more time and money.

All in all I can only hope that this CC&R Craze comes
to an end pretty
soon. I don't think they are as much a benifit to
landowners as they
are thought to be. But until they fall out of favor to the public or
get pre-empted by law they will only increase in coverage.
Personally, that scares me.

Me too!

The problem is that it doesn't scare most folks.

They've been pretty standard for more than 30 years in some places.
And in a lot of cases the homeowners don't really own the land!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Steve Bonine July 22nd 08 01:58 PM

wrote:

The way deed restrictions & covenants work in the areas I know of is
that they are recorded when the property is first sold. And of course
one of the restrictions is that each owner has to pass the
restrictions on to the next owner.

But in some cases, the first buyer can say "NO!" to the developer, and
get restrictions removed *before* the sale. So while the rest of the
properties may be restricted, that one isn't.

While this might give you the legal right to erect an antenna (and it
might not; I'm not a lawyer either), I would look carefully at other
factors before considering it. Let me illustrate what I'm trying to say
by building two scenarios:

1. The development has large lots and the neighbors are pretty laid
back. You buy the house and erect an unobtrusive antenna. Your
neighbors don't notice, and the ones who do don't care.

2. You erect a tower on your tiny lot and hang a bunch of antennas on
it, creating what looks like a masterpiece to your eyes and an eyesore
to your neighbors. Since the people who bought in the development are
particularly sensitive to such things, they make your life miserable
even though they have no legal recourse.

The scenarios are deliberately exaggerated to make the point that the
legal situation is only one aspect of living in a community. If the
other members of the community have a strong mindset about what's
appropriate and you're outside that mindset, there will be an issue.
You have to live with these people. If they, as a group, feel strongly
enough that you're acting inappropriately they'll get their way, deed
restrictions or not.

73, Steve KB9X

Michael Coslo July 22nd 08 06:57 PM

Steve Bonine wrote:

1. The development has large lots and the neighbors are pretty laid
back. You buy the house and erect an unobtrusive antenna. Your
neighbors don't notice, and the ones who do don't care.

2. You erect a tower on your tiny lot and hang a bunch of antennas on
it, creating what looks like a masterpiece to your eyes and an eyesore
to your neighbors. Since the people who bought in the development are
particularly sensitive to such things, they make your life miserable
even though they have no legal recourse.

Steve, that is a good point. While I can put up anything within reason,
I have went with unobtrusive antennas. Some of my neighbor know about
the antennas, and some don't.

Get along with the neighbors!

The scenarios are deliberately exaggerated to make the point that the
legal situation is only one aspect of living in a community. If the
other members of the community have a strong mindset about what's
appropriate and you're outside that mindset, there will be an issue. You
have to live with these people. If they, as a group, feel strongly
enough that you're acting inappropriately they'll get their way, deed
restrictions or not.

This brings up another thought. I wonder how many times a person who has
trouble with the neighbors might have trouble with them in other areas.
Some times an antenna fight might just be a proxy for personality clashes.

Also a bit of friendly explanation can go a long way. When I put up my
first dipole, the neighbors across the street came out to ask what I was
doing. Natural enough when they saw the crazy guy on the roof with a
slingshot and fishing line. I explained exactly what it was, and told
them about it's uses, especially about emergency communications. I gave
a few examples, such as the lower Ontario disaster that happened a few
years before.

I even noted that in really bad disasters, I could patch them through
to their relatives to let them know they were okay - if the local phones
went out.

It can be a lot easier sell when they can see that it might be a
benefit to them. Our locale was the site of a couple major wintertime
disasters in the last 10 or so years. Big winter storms that came early
and brought trees down that still had leaves on them, knocking out power
and phone for several days, as long as a week in some areas. The
collective response was, "I'll be, that's pretty cool".

A tray of cookies or brownies once in a while or the occasional beer
doesn't hurt either! Hard to get too mad at people you break bread with.

Contrast that to demanding your right to put up whatever you darn well
please, and if the neighbors don't like it, they can can it. We all know
which one works better.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

[email protected] July 22nd 08 07:00 PM

On Jul 21, 9:52 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
wrote:
On Jul 18, 7:28 pm, "Howard Lester" wrote:

As previously observed, one can only buy what is for sale when one is
looking to buy. There are several houses near me that I would gladly
move to - but they're not for sale, and haven't been for at least a
decade.

Respectfully Jim, I think that is just simplified too much.

Without being argumentative, Mike, I think not.

While it is true within itself, It is possible to get the house that you
want, and with the features you want.

You just might have to wait a while. We looked several times before we
bought the place we are in now. Some times we just didn't buy.

Agreed in most cases. But there are probably exceptions out there. I
don't know
what it's like trying to buy real estate in Tucson or Dallas, for
example.

This is the part that I do that is apparently foreign to many. The is no
law that says that we have to buy a house, some house, any house. One
can live in an apartment for a while, or as we did, a mobile home. It
took about 2 years, but we got a real bargain at the price we wanted, in
the neighborhood we wanted. Sold the mobile home for nearly what we paid
for it, and were out only the lot rent. House rent would have been a bit
more outlay, but it's still worth it to get the house you want.

It all depends on the situation.

For one thing, there's the money aspect, which is a big one for a lot
of us. Living in a rented space means no deductions for interest or RE
taxes, and no equity building.

When the RE market is rising, waiting too long can be a big problem.
If the house values
are rising faster than your purchasing power, you can find that this
year you can't afford a house that you could have afforded last year.
(Of course this causes people to buy *now*, which raises prices, and
the circle keeps rolling...)

It is a common story here to meet folks who could not afford the house
they live in if they had to buy it today, because the house prices
went up much faster than their income.

Besides pure $$, there are factors like the kids' education. At least
in PA, the public schools your kids attend depends on where you live,
and different school districts have very different levels of quality.
In many areas the house prices reflect that. I've seen similar houses
on opposite sides of the same street priced 20% differently, because
one was in the highly-rated Podunk School District and the other in
the good-but-not-as-highly-rated Squeedunk School District. On top of
that, pulling the kids out of one school and dropping them in another
may not be the best idea if there's any other option.

I did the same thing with a motorcycle I bought recently. I could have
bought new or what the dealers wanted and had the bike I wanted in
around 15 minutes. I looked and waited for a month to find a motivated
seller, and got a good bike for thousands less.

Sure. But everyone needs a place to live; not everyone needs a
motorcycle. More important, real estate isn't portable.

And back to Ham radio, I have bought all my used radios that way. Got an
IC-745 for $250, and my latest, an IC-761 for 300 dollars. I just had to
wait and pounce at the right time.

(cue Jacques Coustea narration)

.....ze barracuda waitz patiently for ze most taztee prey to svim
by.....

Patience will reward you. Buy exactly what you want, not the one that
you think is best when you first start looking

Agreed, but RE is different. For one thing, it costs so much more.
$300 for a rig is a different thing than $300,000 for a house. The ham
who can afford a couple of $300 rigs probably can't afford a couple of
$300,000 houses.

Plus if you choose right you can try a variety of used rigs for
relatively little money. The main cost is shipping. Buying and selling
RE you live in is a completely different game!

And in many areas $300,000 doesn't buy a lot of house.

Most of all, depending on your given set of criteria, it may be a very
long time before the house you really want comes on the market.

It seems to me that a lot of amateurs insist on a new house, or at
least a newer house, meaning something no older than 10-20 years.
Older homes are simply off the radar, for some reason. Is it just me,
or is this a real trend? What's behind it?

Jim, what I think it is is that we are hearing mostly fro

m those who
are having trouble putting up an antenna, and since they are mostly from
the newr home group, they are more likely to be people who insist on a
newer home. Just a guess.

Possibly, but the question remains: Why a new or newer house?

73 de Jim, N2EY

KC4UAI July 22nd 08 09:30 PM

On Jul 21, 11:07 pm, wrote:
On Jul 17, 4:17 pm, KC4UAI wrote:

On Jul 16, 7:45 pm, wrote:
On Jul 16, 3:30 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:

(insert standard "not a lawyer" disclaimer HERE)

Same for me... I'm not a RE lawyer either...

The way deed restrictions & covenants work in the areas I know of is
that they are recorded when the property is first sold. And of course
one of the restrictions is that each owner has to pass the
restrictions on to the next owner.

But in some cases, the first buyer can say "NO!" to the developer, and
get restrictions removed *before* the sale. So while the rest of the
properties may be restricted, that one isn't.

Well, looking at the legal process that went on before I purchased my
house, this isn't going to work. The CC&R's are actually recorded for
the whole property before it was plated and sold to the developer. At
least in my case, these restrictions where already recorded before the
developer owned the lot. There are over 300 lots in my subdivision
and for the developer to except one of the lots, he would have to own
them all, remove the restrictions on them all and reapply them to all
but one. I got a feeling that they won't go to this much trouble.
Yea, they may give you a "The HOA will allow antennas on your lot"
letter, but that would only be good for as long as the developer owned
enough lots to retain control of the HOA and actually cared to live by
the agreement. After that, it would be worthless.

HOA rules are another issue completely, but the same approach may
work.

In my case the HOA rules are spelled out in the CC&R's (for the most
part). They have some latitude in some areas of appearance, but not a
lot. My CC&R's actually specify the maximum heigth of the grass in
you yard.

However, this is not something to try without expert RE legal counsel
to make absolutely sure you have airtight exemption *before* you sign
anything. Verbal assurances mean nothing; it's gotta be in clear
writing and properly recorded.

Very good advice. Get a lawyer BEFORE you need one. Having all the
"I's" dotted and "T's" crossed legally is the best way to proceed. By
the time you need one, it's going to be too late.

More and more land is becoming off limits to ham radio
antennas and
this is a bigger problem in areas that have been under active
development for the last 20-30 years such as Dallas.

The cure is for lots of people to write Congress and get them to order
FCC to expand the OTARD preemption. FCC has clearly said they will do
it when Congress tells them to.

We can also go to the City, County, and State and ask for preemptive
rules for Part 97 antennas. I get the impression that one might have
more luck in those venues than in Congress. I've seen more than one
antenna bill get introduced into congress with pretty good support
only to get buried in committee and never to be seen again. I don't
see that changing anytime soon.

Yes, I could drive 40 more miles a day and perhaps find
something that would work, but with the cost of driving these
days I’d
be moving into less of a house for sure to make ends meet.

40 miles a day in a small car is maybe $6 in gas....

Compared to my current 6 mile/day bill of $0.60 using that car is
pretty expensive. I'm also 6'7" so it's kind of hard to find a car I
can fit into and get good mileage.. But we are moving off track.

There are fundamental
problems with CC&R's and pesky HOA's under the current
law. Depending
on how they are drafted, they can end up causing some
seemingly very
unreasonable consequences for homeowners that may not be
obvious by reading them.

Such as?

For example... Say the HOA doesn't like the current color of your
fence. You live on a fixed income and cannot paint the fence but the
ACC changed the rules and now your fence is unacceptable. HOA
eventually assess fines, charging you for each day the fence is not
painted. They file leans on your property to secure the debt and you
could loose your house, all because the "rules" changed and you didn't
agree to the change.

Personally, I think they should be put under some
really strict legal limits and the powers of HOA's strictly limited.
But all that is another issue...

Not really. Part of the problem is that a lot of folks don't really
know what they're getting into when they buy.

Some do but the fine details about what can happen would be lost on
most of us. In Texas things get pretty crazy. I've read a case where
a guy got a lot with deed restrictions that didn't allow "mobile
homes". He started to have a pre-fab modular home built on the lot
and got hauled into court by the HOA for trying to install a "mobile
home". He ended up loosing the case after nearly 5 years of having a
half completed house he couldn't live in. Paid substantial fines
too. Crazy Texas courts where they attempt to take the most liberal
interpretation in favor of the HOA they can.

Friend of mine bought into such a place, and after some time
discovered that the upstairs windows leaked. The construction was
rather slipshod IMHO but caulk had worked for a couple of years. But
now he had a major job to fix the problem.

Oh, I know how that goes. My dad made the mistake of getting the
windows changed without consulting the HOA. Hooo Boy, what a mess
that was.

I got a letter from the HOA telling me to mow my lawn... OK, but I had
proof that my lawn was being mowed each week for the entire summer
(can you say cancelled checks to the lawn care guys) and I'm sure the
yard wasn't getting out of hand enough to warrant a nasty letter from
the HOA in a week. I figure it was a mistake, but I can just see some
guy hired by the HOA driving his Honda though the neighborhood looking
for "violations" scratching notes in a book. (In our case it's a lady
in a orange corvette that works for the management company. I know, I
spotted her a few times before I saw her at the last HOA meeting.)

Also, I don't dare try and "hide" a stealth antenna in plain sight.
It's like the SS is driving around looking for a justification for the
high fees the management company charges. For some reason they can see
18 gauge bare copper coming off the back of my house heading for the
back fence. (Oh yea, I got a letter on that one too.) I could barely
see it from the street, knowing it was there.

I wonder what the smallest gauge wire I could try for a 75M dipole
that would stay together for a reasonable length of time? I'm also
got a bit of ladder line I'm thinking I'll use to feed a loop antenna
running along the edge of the roof secured with Christmas light
holders.. I wonder if they will see that too?

Flagpoles are a highly touted option (Just hide a vertical in one) but
there are issues there too. In order to be safe, (and legal in some
cases) I'd need to consider RF exposure limits and take steps to keep
somebody from getting too close to the flagpole in the front yard. If
they allowed the flagpole to go up without comment a fence, or some
kind of screening, is going to get HOA attention.

I’ve considered trying to appeal to the HOA board for some minor
allowances. Like giving me the ability to put up things that are
hidden behind the house with perhaps just the top 20’ of a vertical
visible above my roof or allowing some antenna supports hidden behind
my house with just small wire visible from the street. The problem
with that is that I don’t know where to start with them. I’ve
considered running for the board to increase my pull, but I just don’t
have the time right now.

Has anybody had any success with getting an HOA to allow this kind of
thing, in spite of the clear restrictions in the CC&R’s?

-= Bob =-

KC4UAI July 22nd 08 09:30 PM

On Jul 22, 12:57 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:

Contrast that to demanding your right to put up whatever you darn well
please, and if the neighbors don't like it, they can can it. We all know
which one works better.

Well I don't know about you but my wife has a LOT more to say about my
antenna aspirations than the neighbors ever will. She's not going to
allow anything she considers an eyesore to go up. She sees me gawking
at some of the antenna farms around and makes it clear I won't have
one that looks like that!

Of course this puts me in a difficult situation. When I retire to the
country and get the 20 acres on the hill side. She's going to want
the house on the top of the hill and the antenna farm someplace else.

-= bob =-

[email protected] July 23rd 08 12:14 AM

On Jul 22, 8:58 am, Steve Bonine wrote:
wrote:
The way deed restrictions & covenants work in the areas I know of is
that they are recorded when the property is first sold. And of course
one of the restrictions is that each owner has to pass the
restrictions on to the next owner.

But in some cases, the first buyer can say "NO!" to the developer, and
get restrictions removed *before* the sale. So while the rest of the
properties may be restricted, that one isn't.

While this might give you the legal right to erect an antenna (and it
might not; I'm not a lawyer either), I would look carefully at other
factors before considering it.

Let me illustrate what I'm trying to say
by building two scenarios:

1. The development has large lots and the neighbors are pretty laid
back. You buy the house and erect an unobtrusive antenna. Your
neighbors don't notice, and the ones who do don't care.

The problem is, how do you know the neighbors are pretty laid back
before you move in? Also, some folks consider *anything* different to
be "obtrusive".

2. You erect a tower on your tiny lot and hang a bunch of antennas on
it, creating what looks like a masterpiece to your eyes and an eyesore
to your neighbors.

This is where the question of "reasonable" comes in. A big tower on a
small treeless lot may not be "reasonable", while a simple vertical or
wire antenna would be.

A big tower on a big lot, screened by trees, is another thing
entirely.

Since the people who bought in the development are
particularly sensitive to such things, they make your life miserable
even though they have no legal recourse.

The problem is that usually you don't know beforehand what sort of
neighbors you'll get.

The point I was making is that universal antenna restrictions on new
homes may not be a foregone conclusion in all cases if you know the
right approach.

Repeating an earlier warning: This is definitely a situation where
you'd want professional counsel (RE lawyer) to make sure you get what
you think you're getting.

The scenarios are deliberately exaggerated to make the point that the
legal situation is only one aspect of living in a community. If the
other members of the community have a strong mindset about what's
appropriate and you're outside that mindset, there will be an issue.
You have to live with these people. If they, as a group, feel strongly
enough that you're acting inappropriately they'll get their way, deed
restrictions or not.

Maybe; it all depends on the situation. For example, not everyone who
buys into a restricted community cares or really knows about all the
restrictions; they may be buying on price alone, low maintenance, etc.
I've talked to a lot of folks who have no idea of the restrictions
they live under until they cross one.

Couple of problems I see all the time:

1) In many new developments, there are no trees of any size, no
fences, and all the utilities are buried. The few inconspicuous places
are used for the A/C condensers and the utility meters. The result is
that *anything* you put up is extremely visible to many neighbors.

2) In many new developments the houses are close together and the
ratio of building to ground is very high, and the roof is useless for
antennas for a number of reasons. Again, this makes anything different
stick out.

Both 1) and 2) are examples of how a lot of modern housing, even if
unrestricted, is not ham-radio-friendly.

3) In many cases all it takes to cause a problem is one or two
neighbors who don't like something. IOW "the Gladys Kravitz effect".
IOW there are people you cannot ever please.

There's a balance between doing whatever the neighbors might want, and
saying the heck with them, you'll do whatever *you* want. That balance
is the concept of "reasonable". And like Quality in "Zen And The Art
of Motorcycle Maintenance", almost everybody knows what "reasonable"
is (to them, anyway)
but almost nobody can exactly define it.

One more point:

A question I see all the time from some hams is "why would anyone buy
into/want to live under such restrictions?" or variations thereof.
Often there are declarations of how these things are evil,
unconstitutional, whatever, be they zoning ordinances, HOA rules, etc.

The answer I give is that it's often due to bitter experience, either
one's own or another's. All it takes is one or two really bad
neighbors ruin a neighborhood.

IOW, a lot of what drives this is fear that neighbors won't behave
responsibly, or reasonably. Like the person who puts his trash on the
curb on Thursday, for a pickup on Tuesday of the next week. Or the
person who can't seem to find a paintbrush or a lawn mower.

73 de Jim, N2EY

[email protected] July 23rd 08 12:20 AM

On Jul 22, 4:30 pm, KC4UAI wrote:
On Jul 21, 11:07 pm, wrote:
On Jul 17, 4:17 pm, KC4UAI wrote:
On Jul 16, 7:45 pm, wrote:
On Jul 16, 3:30 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:

(insert standard "not a lawyer" disclaimer HERE)

Same for me... I'm not a RE lawyer either...

I'm not any kind of lawyer.

looking at the legal process that went on before I purchased my
house, this isn't going to work. The CC&R's are actually recorded for
the whole property before it was plated and sold to the developer.

Well, there goes that idea in your case. But in others it may work.

There are over 300 lots in my subdivision
and for the developer to except one of the lots, he would have to own
them all, remove the restrictions on them all and reapply them to all
but one.

Maybe. Even if he bought them all, he may not have the right to repeal
the restrictions. It depends on the exact wording.

HOA rules are another issue completely, but the same approach may
work.

In my case the HOA rules are spelled out in the CC&R's (for the most
part). They have some latitude in some areas of appearance, but not a
lot. My CC&R's actually specify the maximum heigth of the grass in
you yard.

Think why that is.....

Get a lawyer BEFORE you need one. Having all the
"I's" dotted and "T's" crossed legally is the best way to proceed. By
the time you need one, it's going to be too late.

I look at it differently. Unless you are an RE lawyer yourself, assume
you need one.

The cure is for lots of people to write Congress and get them to order
FCC to expand the OTARD preemption. FCC has clearly said they will do
it when Congress tells them to.

We can also go to the City, County, and State and ask for preemptive
rules for Part 97 antennas. I get the impression that one might have
more luck in those venues than in Congress.

Probably not. Here's why:

The thing about deed restrictions and covenants is that they are
considered private contracts. Most governments don't want to bust in
on private contracts - or at least that's the excuse they give.

The one exception is that you cannot make a valid, legal contract to
do something that is clearly illegal. Suppose A hires B to murder C,
writes up a contract that they both sign, and A pays B in advance. But
then B decides not to do the job. A cannot use the courts to get his
money back from C for non-comission of a crime.

The OTARD ruling stemmed from the idea that the anti-TV-antenna rules
effectively created an illegal cable-TV-provider monopoly, and
restricted interstate commerce in doing so. The satellite TV folks had
to go all the way to the Supremes to get that ruling, too.

As another example, it used to be legal to put all sorts of
discriminatory restrictions in CC&Rs as to who you could sell the
property to - race, ethnicity, religion, etc. Civil rights and equal
housing laws made these illegal.

On top of that, the local governments, if they have any sense, will
say it's the FCC's area, not theirs, and to go talk to them.

I've seen more than one
antenna bill get introduced into congress with pretty good support
only to get buried in committee and never to be seen again. I don't
see that changing anytime soon.

What is "pretty good support"? How many hundred thousand letters to
Congress supporting it?

40 miles a day in a small car is maybe $6 in gas....

Compared to my current 6 mile/day bill of $0.60 using that car is
pretty expensive. I'm also 6'7" so it's kind of hard to find a car I
can fit into and get good mileage.. But we are moving off track.

Maybe not.

One of the big problems we have in the USA is that we're overdependent
on rubber-tire, fossil-fuel-powered transportation. Consider your 300-
unit development - does it include a shopping center you can walk or
bike to? Or does almost anything require a car or truck ride?

Too much of our country is designed around the automobile, which leads
to all sorts of problems. But it doesn't have to be that way - look at
Portland Oregon for how things could be. (And it didn't used to be
that way - towns and suburbs used to be built so that a car wasn't an
absolute necessity).

Say the HOA doesn't like the current color of your
fence. You live on a fixed income and cannot paint the fence but the
ACC changed the rules and now your fence is unacceptable. HOA
eventually assess fines, charging you for each day the fence is not
painted. They file leans on your property to secure the debt and you
could loose your house, all because the "rules" changed and you didn't
agree to the change.

Good point. I wonder if it could be argued that such rules effectively
create a monopoly for the paint company that makes the approved kind
of paint?

Part of the problem is that a lot of folks don't really
know what they're getting into when they buy.

Some do but the fine details about what can happen would be lost on
most of us. In Texas things get pretty crazy. I've read a case where
a guy got a lot with deed restrictions that didn't allow "mobile
homes". He started to have a pre-fab modular home built on the lot
and got hauled into court by the HOA for trying to install a "mobile
home". He ended up loosing the case after nearly 5 years of having a
half completed house he couldn't live in. Paid substantial fines
too. Crazy Texas courts where they attempt to take the most liberal
interpretation in favor of the HOA they can.

The fundamental problem was that he was doing something they didn't
like. That's the key issue and the key question: why didn't they like
the prefab modular home?

Friend of mine bought into such a place, and after some time
discovered that the upstairs windows leaked. The construction was
rather slipshod IMHO but caulk had worked for a couple of years. But
now he had a major job to fix the problem.

Oh, I know how that goes. My dad made the mistake of getting the
windows changed without consulting the HOA. Hooo Boy, what a mess
that was.

My friend dotted all the Is and crossed all the Ts. Point is, it cost
him a lot more because he had to get the exact approved windows and
such; he couldn't get the windows he wanted.

Could that be a monopoly, again?

I got a letter from the HOA telling me to mow my lawn... OK, but I had
proof that my lawn was being mowed each week for the entire summer
(can you say cancelled checks to the lawn care guys) and I'm sure the
yard wasn't getting out of hand enough to warrant a nasty letter from
the HOA in a week.

But how long was it? The rules go by the length, not how often it's
mowed.

Also, I don't dare try and "hide" a stealth antenna in plain sight.
It's like the SS is driving around looking for a justification for the
high fees the management company charges. For some reason they can see
18 gauge bare copper coming off the back of my house heading for the
back fence. (Oh yea, I got a letter on that one too.) I could barely
see it from the street, knowing it was there.

SHEESH!

Has anybody had any success with getting an HOA to allow this kind of
thing, in spite of the clear restrictions in the CC&R’s?

I'm afraid the problem there would be that the HOA would hide behind
the CC&Rs, saying their hands are tied. And they'd be telling the
truth.

---

I can think of one thing hams could do - a sort of "guerilla theatre",
as it were. (Perhaps I listened to Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant"
a few times too many when I was younger....)

Suppose that a developer is having an open house or similar promotion
(expect a lot of them with the RE market the way it is).

And suppose a lot of nicely-dressed radio amateurs and their spouse
show up to look. They act eager and interested, comment on how nice
everything is, and how the place is just what they are looking for and
well within their price range. They start talking about preapproved
mortgages, where the furniture will go and what kind of drapes they'll
install, plus how much cash is in the checking account to make the
deposit.

Then they pull out a big measuring tape and start measuring the yard.
The agent will ask what they are doing, and they say they're figuring
out where the amateur radio antennas will go. "There's no rule against
them, right?" they ask. Of course the agent will have to tell them the
truth, because of disclosure laws.

As soon as the agent says "no antennas", they put all the literature
down, roll up the tape, say "Thanks but no thanks, we wouldn't live
here if you gave us the house", get in their car and drive away.

If one person does it, they'll think it's an oddity.

If a few people do it, they'll look into it.

If a lot of people do it, they may think it's a movement, and get the
message.

Waddya think?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Howard Lester July 23rd 08 02:48 AM

Jesus knew about ham radio guys!

wrote

I am curious, though, about some things that seem pretty common in

amateur discussions about HOAs and CC&Rs.

It seems to me that a lot of amateurs insist on a new house, or at

least a newer house, meaning something no older than 10-20 years.
Older homes are simply off the radar, for some reason. Is it just me,
or is this a real trend? What's behind it?

==================================

In my case, I like nice and new because it's nice and new and clean,
everything's under warranty, uses the "latest technology," it was built with
my choice of its internals, including having coax run through the walls from
the roof to my "shack" area.... and I could live with relatively stealth
antennas. Why? Because the house itself is for me more a priority than is
ham radio.

As for CC&R's, I knew it all going in, and I knew that I would be working
with an HOA that is not run by a bunch of... I won't use the term.... I
would *never* live under a regime like that. While it's a 200 home
development, they are fairly flexible in what you can and cannot do. As I
said earlier, I have had an MFJ Hi-Q Loop mounted in my backyard for 10
years, and no one has ever said a word. It works very well, as evidenced by
all the DX I've worked with it. I had a Diamond 2m/440 antenna (40") mounted
on the roof, also as visible as possible.

An HOA can be fired. If the majority of homeowners want to throw them all
out and change the CC&R's they can. (I know, not likely, but the point is
that it can be done.)

So while there are choices, there are choices. Choose wisely.

Howard N7SO

Phil Kane July 23rd 08 07:26 AM

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:52:15 EDT, Michael Coslo wrote:

This is the part that I do that is apparently foreign to many. The is no
law that says that we have to buy a house, some house, any house. One
can live in an apartment for a while, or as we did, a mobile home.

We moved from a 2-bedroom condo apartment when we ran out of room for
what we wanted our living arrangements to be. We had no guest room
for our kids ( big issue while my divorce from their mother was being
negotiated), no separate office and studio for each of us, a kitchen
that was the size of a telephone booth for my wife the catering chef,
and all the office furniture and my professional library was in a
10X10 storage cubicle after I closed my law office. We bunked in our
kids' guest room for a month while our goods were piling up storage
fees because we had to wait for our condo apartment to sell and clear
escrow before we could put our equity into another home. There was
no way we were going into an apartment and then having to pay for
another move to a place that we would find "later on". We spent a
week with the Realtor checking out deed restrictions and looking at
places that might meet our needs - space, number of rooms, proximity
to public transit, specialized medical services (I was legally blind
at the time), easy travel to our congregation (the only one of our
denomination in the entire state), freedom for onerous anti-ham
ordinances and deed restrictions, a decent and safe neighborhood, and
so on. After turning down three nicer homes (including one brand-new
townhouse that the Realtor's researcher said "no CC&Rs" although the
development literally screamed "restrictive CC&Rs" in my experience,
we settled for this one. We still ran out of storage room and had to
do a fair amount of rebuilding but I could put up my 12 antennas and
my wife could resume her contract catering business - "but it's only
one-half block from the bus stop", as my wife reminds me when we
discover another problem with the 30+ year old house.

Priorities....
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Phil Kane July 23rd 08 07:31 AM

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 00:07:57 EDT, wrote:

But in some cases, the first buyer can say "NO!" to the developer, and
get restrictions removed *before* the sale. So while the rest of the
properties may be restricted, that one isn't.

HOA rules are another issue completely, but the same approach may
work.

According to California law - the one that I work with - the CC&Rs
are recorded before the first unit is built, and both state law and
common law holds that the restrictions run with the land. The "first
owner" legally is the developer.

I was lucky with the condo because the restriction was no antennas
without permission of the board, and I got that permission while the
developer was the "board" and the permission ran with my ownership and
occupancy of the unit.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Phil Kane July 23rd 08 07:38 AM

Jesus knew about ham radio guys!

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 00:07:57 EDT, wrote:

What was a simple project that could have been a major improvement
turned into a major headache that cost lots more time and money.

California has a process of getting out from under, but it's a long
haul. The owner has to prove that the restriction is unreasonable. We
couldn't do that for Jimmy Rich's 75 foot tower (See _Hotz v Rich_ in
the ARRL Antenna and Zoning Handbook).
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Phil Kane July 23rd 08 07:49 AM

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:57:09 EDT, Michael Coslo wrote:

This brings up another thought. I wonder how many times a person who has
trouble with the neighbors might have trouble with them in other areas.
Some times an antenna fight might just be a proxy for personality clashes.

We have a neighbor across the street who had a real bad case for us
about the condition of our lawn (neither of us has the strength or
stamina to really care for it) and the leaves that fall on our lawn
and get blown onto her pristine and well-cared-for lawn (that's all
she has to do all day....).

When I put up my antennas, including the R-8 vertical that sticks up
50 feet above the ground - not a peep. When we finally had the
offending trees removed and contracted with a lawn maintenance
company to take care of the property, she stood there and watched them
work all day. Not a word of "thank you".

At least she doesn't pound on our door and make threats like she used
to.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Phil Kane July 23rd 08 08:03 AM

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:20:26 EDT, wrote:

As another example, it used to be legal to put all sorts of
discriminatory restrictions in CC&Rs as to who you could sell the
property to - race, ethnicity, religion, etc. Civil rights and equal
housing laws made these illegal.

Actually a SCOTUS case called _Shelly v Kraemer_ broke that
restriction many years before The Congress got around to legislation.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Phil Kane July 23rd 08 08:08 AM

Jesus knew about ham radio guys!

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:20:26 EDT, wrote:

On top of that, the local governments, if they have any sense, will
say it's the FCC's area, not theirs, and to go talk to them.

At least one state (Florida ?. New Hampshire ?) incorporated that
preemption of private contracts into their state "PRB-1" statute. The
US Constitution inhibits Congressional interference with the right of
contract (subject to the usual time, place, manner and least
restrictive means exemptions) but civil contracts such as CC&Rs are
creatures of state law and can be regulated by the state.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

[email protected] July 23rd 08 01:53 PM

On Jul 23, 3:03 am, Phil Kane wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:20:26 EDT, wrote:
As another example, it used to be legal to put all sorts of
discriminatory restrictions in CC&Rs as to who you could sell the
property to - race, ethnicity, religion, etc. Civil rights and equal
housing laws made these illegal.

Actually a SCOTUS case called _Shelly v Kraemer_ broke that
restriction many years before The Congress got around to legislation.

This is why I include that "I am not a lawyer" disclaimer so often.

Thanks for the correction, Phil.

I guess the reason for the equal housing and other laws was to outlaw
other forms of discrimination, such as the realtor who wouldn't show a
house to the "wrong" people, lenders who had different lending rules
depending on ethnicity/race/gender/religion, etc.

73 de Jim, N2EY