Old September 30th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Co-generation in Emcom?

I saw a news report about a "Green" home that used a furnace which also
provided electricity for the dwelling. I didn't get any details other
than that it ran on natural gas.

Please tell me about these units, and if any of them are suitable to
provide on-site power and heat during emergency communications deployment.

73,

Bill W1AC

--
Bill Horne

(Remove QRM from my address for direct replies.)

Old September 30th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Bill Horne wrote:
I saw a news report about a "Green" home that used a furnace which also
provided electricity for the dwelling. I didn't get any details other
than that it ran on natural gas.

Please tell me about these units, and if any of them are suitable to
provide on-site power and heat during emergency communications deployment.

73,

Bill W1AC

Most such systems that can be readily moved around are called ground
power units and are designed to service airplanes. Most of them are one
offs that were built to serve a particular type of airplane. These are
sometimes available to local government through the state surplus
office. You could adapt any mobile generator to provide some heat but
mobile and portable heating units are commercially available. The
adaptations need to be done very carefully so as not to pump exhaust
gases into the structure. A duct wye fitting is connected to the
cooling air exhaust of the engine alternator unit; read generator; and
the remote thermostat changes the damper to dump the heat right there or
into flexible ducting that will carry the heat to the space were it is
wanted. Such units will heat a larger area if they have both supply and
return ducts and dampers. The system can be built from off the shelf
parts and only attached to the "generator" when the heat is needed. The
condition of the engine becomes a significant factor in the occupants
comfort. If the engine is leaking lubricant or coolant then the oder of
the heated liquids will quickly become unbearable.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison