Old October 22nd 09, 07:05 AM posted to rec.radio.info,rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.answers,news.answers

Default rec.radio.info Posting Guidelines

Posted-By: auto-faq 3.3.2 beta (PGPMoose V2.0, Perl 5.005)
Archive-name: radio/rec-radio-info/guidelines
Revision: 1.5 2007/03/22 16:30:49
Posting-Frequency: posted monthly

Changes followed by "|".

*** rec.radio.info - Posting Guidelines and Etiquette ***

Two introductory articles about rec.radio.info are posted to this group
and to rec.answers/news.answers every month. You are now reading the
second article, which explains how to submit something to
rec.radio.info, and which answers some Frequently Asked Questions about
the submission process. The first article is titled "Welcome to
rec.radio.info", and it might be a good idea to check it out as well.

-- How do I submit something to rec.radio.info?

Two possibilities. You can use your newsreading software to just post
the article to rec.radio.info, as you would do with any other
newsgroup. The difference is that the software recognizes the special
status of rec.radio.info as a moderated group, and will e-mail your
article to us, the moderation team, instead of posting it to the group.

Alternatively, you can mail your article directly to us at the following
address:

Mailing us directly is probably (a wee bit) faster, but using the
transparency offered by the newsreading software is probably more
convenient.

If you have any questions, or wish to deal with some administrivia with
the moderation team, we suggest mailing to the following address:

-- How soon will I see my article appear?

It depends on how busy we are. Your article reaches us as mail, we have
to read it first, give it the stamp of approval, and finally send it on
to the group. We will attempt to read and decide on all submissions
within 72 hours at the very least, though we will probably be able to
process submissions much faster in actual practice.

The site from which we moderate this newsgroup, "Public Access Internet
and Unix, NYC" (Panix), is directly connected to the Internet, and
articles posted at that site should appear at most major news sites,
including Google Groups, the same day. The principal delay, therefore,
will be the wait in the moderator's submission queue.

If you post a periodic article, and have shown to be trustworthy, we may
allow you to post directly if the article is of a timely nature. See the
section below on direct posting.

-- Should my article be in a specific format?

No. If it is not totally illegible, we will accept it, and if it does
not have a correct subject-line we will correct it with your permission
-- that's what a moderator is for.

However.

You could do us a big favor by making sure your article conforms to
these simple requirements:

1) The article must present information, not discussion or requests, We
will reject the article or require you to change the wording if it is
worth it.
2) A good, descriptive Subject line.
3) Always mention what source you got the information from.
4) Don't forget to include a Followup-To header, at least if you don't
want further discussion to automatically be forwarded to you, the
poster, which is the default if the article is only posted to
rec.radio.info.

As we said: if your article is appropriate we will post it even if you
don't follow these guidelines, but then don't blame us for not
processing it immediately. 'Perfect' articles we can send on with a
couple of keystrokes. Stuff that needs minor editing is going to have
to wait until we have time to do so.

Please do not waste both our and your time by posting requests, as this
is an information only news group.

-- What about crossposting?

If you send something to rec.radio.info, just name any group you'd like
to cross-post to in the Newsgroups field. Then, when we approve the
article for rec.radio.info it will get automatically cross-posted to any
other groups mentioned. This will also override the default Followup-To:
poster, replacing it with the groups you cross posted to.

We would prefer if the group be cross-posted to the various discussion
groups in the rec.radio.* hierarchy that are appropriate:

rec.radio.amateur.misc Amateur (ham) radio and related matters
rec.radio.amateur.packet Amateur Packet Radio discussions
rec.radio.amateur.policy Amateur Radio practices, rules, etc.
rec.radio.noncomm Non commercial radio discussions
rec.radio.shortwave International broadcasting on the 'HF' bands
rec.radio.cb Citizens Band (27 MHz) discussion
rec.radio.scanner Scanner discussions (unsupported group)

or in one of the moderated groups:

rec.radio.amateur.moderated Amateur radio practices, rules, etc.
rec.radio.broadcasting Discussion of *domestic* radio broadcasting

We will leave it up to the poster to decide which group(s) are
appropriate, but reserve the right to add groups if we feel it has
broader interest. We will consult with the poster first.

Notes on crossposting:

- rec.radio.broadcasting is also a moderated group. The
rec.radio.broadcasting moderator prefers to review all articles
himself before posting. Placing rec.radio.broadcasting before
rec.radio.info on the Newsgroups line should accomplish this. We will
typically abide by the rec.radio.broadcasting moderator's decision
whether the article is appropriate for rec.radio.info.

- rec.radio.amateur.moderated is also a moderated group. As the
rec.radio.amateur.moderated Moderation Team manages both
rec.radio.amateur.moderated and rec.radio.info, we can manage
crossposting and approvals for both newsgroups. The
rec.radio.amateur.moderated group does not allow crossposting to other
discussion newsgroups, whether moderated or unmoderated. However, we
would like to manage rec.radio.info as consistently as possible with
how it was done by previous moderators, including the grandfathering
of existing regular postings. Therefore, the submitter can choose
rec.radio.amateur.moderated or the other unmoderated
rec.radio.amateur.* discussion newsgroups for crossposting, but not
both.

- Any FAQ or informational posting approved by the
rec.answers/news.answers moderation team that is also crossposted to
any rec.radio.* newsgroup (besides just rec.radio.info) is also
automatically pre-approved for rec.radio.info. See below for more
information.

If you post to another moderated group, it may be better to make special
arrangements with both moderators before posting by contacting us at our
administrivia addresses.

In addition, cross-posts do not take up extra space; modern newsreaders
can be configured to show you cross-posted articles only once anyway;
not everybody reads rec.radio.info; and rec.radio.info was never meant
to reduce the volume of the regular discussion newsgroups. But keep in
mind that some of the mail gateways may filter out the informational
postings (at request of the subscribers) to keep the load down.

You decide.

-- I have a regular posting with timely information, can I make
arrangements to help speed up delivery by posting directly from my
site?

Yes, there is! It may take a bit of chatter with the moderator, but we
are willing to take responsible people and provide them the means of
posting the articles directly from their site. We will try everything we
can as we fully realize that DX (distant signal) and astronomical data
can be somewhat transitory. We are also willing to allow regular posters
of information the same courtesy, even if the information is not as
timely.

We refer to this as self-moderation, which is partly based on the model
for rec.answers/news.answers. This requires cooperation and good will to
be beneficial to the community in the rec.radio.* hierarchy.

If you are currently maintaining (or plan to maintain) a radio-related
periodic information posting, you may wish to consider crossposting it
to rec.answers/news.answers. Postings that are approved by the
rec.answers/news.answers moderators for this treatment are automatically
pre-approved for crossposting to rec.radio.info (as the news.answers
requirements are far more rigorous than the requirements this newsgroup
ever plans to use). For more information about this option, consult the
appropriate information articles and posting guidelines in
rec.answers/news.answers.

Realize also, that even if your post is not approved for
rec.answers/news.answers, it can still be approved for rec.radio.info.
The intention is not so much to get every last bit of radio-related
information on rec.answers/news.answers, but rather to provide an
alternative avenue of approval (as well as grandfather existing
maintainers of radio-related information and spare them additional
bureaucratic hurdles). Again, crossposting to either rec.radio.info or
rec.answers/news.answers, both, or neither, is at the discretion of the
poster (subject to the approval of the moderators). You decide what is
most appropriate for your article.

Please remember that as an information maintainer, you are not alone.
There are many others on the net who maintain and post periodic
information postings, using various intermediate-to-advanced features of
Usenet (usually via automated tools). Various degrees of technical
support and general hand-holding are available from many Usenet
veterans. Send us some E-mail describing your needs to our
administrative address below, and we'll try to help, or at least refer
you to the right knowledgeable individual(s).

-- And Follow-ups?

If the only newsgroup you have specified is rec.radio.info, then the
this, you must supply a Followup-To line of your own, and we will honor
that one, as long as it is a subset of the original Newsgroups line.

If you specify newsgroups to cross-post to, then the Followup-To field
will be set to include all the cross-posted groups, excepting
rec.radio.info itself. Again, if you do not wish this behavior, supply
your own Followup-To line.

We maintain other standards on the various RFC-1036 (news transport)
header lines. For example, if the article is appropriate for passing
into the Packet Radio Information Network, we encapsulate the Packet
Bulletin Identifier (BID) in the Message-ID: news header line indicating
the machine of origin as the ampr.org domain:

where the Packet Radio BID, in this example, is `$OPA.55', and it was
posted in the year 1994, because some of the Bid numbers are cycled
yearly. Hopefully, this can be used as a key to re-introduce the
articles for the Packet Radio network. Also, if the article is a repost
of an already existing information article in the rec.radio heirarchy,
we ensure that the References: header line is linked to that previously
posted article. This also helps to tag articles, and may be used for
additional filtering if needed.

Since the articles are archived, please use the Summary and Keywords
header lines to help one search for your article.

-- Why have I received no reply from you?

We never reject anything in silence, and we make a point of it to answer
all our mail. However, E-mail, like a brain cell, can and does get lost,
every now and again.

So, if you send us something, and you don't see it appear it
rec.radio.info, and you still have not heard from us in reply after say,
five days, you can be pretty sure that either your mail never reached
us, or that our answer has never reached you. In that case, please try
again (We will filter out duplicates).

Please direct any comments, questions, or criticisms about this article
.

(Adapted, with permission, from the original article written by Mark
Salyzyn, AG4YD, ex-VE6MGS.)