Old March 26th 10, 05:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1702 - March 26, 2010

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1702 - March 26, 2010

(Please note that this newscast contains 3 station identification
breaks: The first at 7 minutes, the second at 12 minute and the third
at 22 minutes.)

Amateur Radio Newsline report number 1702 with a release date of
Friday, March 26th, 2010 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.

The following is a Q-S-T. The Dayton Hamvention names its 2010 award
winners, the FCC issues its long expected Notice of Proposed Rule
Making on government paid employee volunteers taking part in emergency
drills and the European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications
Administrations to meet in Istanbul. What might this mean to you?
Find out on Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) report number 1702 coming your
way right now.

(Billboard Cart Here)

**

HAMVENTION 2010: DAYTON AWARD WINNERS ANNOUNCED - PART 1

The Emmy, Oscar and Tony awards of amateur radio have been announced,
and this year there's a ham radio Grammy as well. But its not for
music. Rather its for being for what the Dayton Hamvention Awards
Committee considers the club most representative of the hobby. Bruce
Tennant, K6PZW, is here with the story of this years Dayton award
winners:

--

W4QO: "Well it was a total shock. In fact I almost got weak in the knees
and fell to the floor because I didn't think they got the right guy. So it

**

That's 2010 Dayton Radio Amateur of the Year Jim Stafford, W4QO, telling
Amateur Radio Newsline how he felt when he received the call from the
Hamvention Awards Committee. A call telling him that he had been selected
as this years top honoree.

According to the Hamvention Awards Committee, W4QO was selected for this
honor based on his half century of dedication to the hobby during which he
has accomplished so much that we have no time to list them all, but here
ate some of them.

Stafford is a founding member of the North Georgia QRP Club, he is the past
president of the North Fulton Amateur Radio League, the past president of
the Metro Atlanta Telephone Pioneer Amateur Radio Club, and is a member of
several other ham radio organizations. And back in 1993 he was named as
the recipient the prestigious Herb Brier Instructor of the Year award by
the American Radio Relay League. . He tells Amateur Radio Newsline that he
enjoys just about all aspects of ham radio from DXing to home-brewing to
working with youngsters who want to get to know the thrill of ham
radio. He also says that it all began when he himself was just a kid:

--

W4QO: "I grew up on a farm as farm-boy in Indiana and I discovered amateur
radio when I was about 15 and got my license when I was 16. And that

--

The Hamvention says that it is honoring Stafford for his 50 years of
service to amateur radio, his support for public service and unending

--

W4QO: "QRP is kind of misunderstood in a way. Most QRP'ers are
tinkerers. They like to build things. And its easier to build a 5 watt

--

The recognition of Jim Stafford, W4QO, has been greeted with enthusiasm by
the Georgia ham radio community. In a posting to Q-R-Zed dot com, Bob

And in a related item, the first ever Hamvention Radio Club of the Year
Award will be presented to the North Fulton Amateur Radio League of Atlanta
Georgia. This for both its resurgence as a major as a major provider of
emergency communications as well as its work in public service and
training. Wes Lamboley,W3WL, is a club spokesman. He tells Newsline that
the success of the rebirth of the club is really about its members:

--

W3WL: "Its about a whole bunch of people that are really inspired to pass
the word about what a great hobby amateur radio is. And our leader in

--

By way of background, in 2006 the North Fulton Amateur Radio League was on
the verge of extinction. It had only 6 to 12 people attending its regular

**

BREAK 1

From the United States of America, We are the Amateur Radio Newsline,
heard on bulletin stations around the world including the W4CN repeater of
the Amateur Radio Transmitting Society, serving Louisville Kentucky.

(5 sec pause here)

**

HAMVENTION 2010: DAYTON AWARD WINNERS ANNOUNCED - PART 2

The 2010 Hamvention Special Achievement Award winner is Richard Ross,
K2MGA. He is being honored for his half century career dedicated to
serving ham radio through CQ Magazine. Better known as Dick Ross to his
many friends world-wide, K2MGA began his career at CQ in 1960. He became
Editor of CQ in July, 1964, when the magazine's then owner, Cowan
Publishing, moved its offices from New York City to Long Island. By 1979,
he was General Manager and Controller for all of Cowan Publications, which
back then consisted of seven magazines. CQ was not the strongest of them,
and Publisher Richard Cowan, WA2LRO, was considering shutting it
down. Sensing an opportunity, K2MGA and his successor as CQ Editor, the
late Alan Dorhoffer, K2EEK, bought the magazine from the Cowan family and
set out to build it into a totally new publication that would instill a new
vitality to the ham radio hobby. And it did.

Dick and Al quickly got the new CQ on a solid footing and within three
years, they were ready to start expanding. Popular Communications was
introduced in 1982. In the years since then, CQ has published a variety of
magazines and books. In 1992, the company added videos to its product
line, followed by CDs, DVD's calendars and more. Today, CQ Communications
publishes CQ, Popular Communications, CQ VHF and WorldRadio Online. The
latter, acquired in late 2008, is the first major on-line-only ham radio
magazine.

But that's not where the K2MGA story ends. Over the course of the past 50
years, Dick Ross has also become a respected leader in the ham radio
community. He works closely with the many businesses that make up the ham
industry, as well as with contesters, DXers and other active hams through
oversight of the CQ contest and award programs. He is also responsible for
starting the CQ DX, CQ Contest and CQ Amateur Radio Halls of Fame. Each of
these honors outstanding amateurs in various areas of the hobby.

Dick Ross is keenly aware that the real future of amateur radio lies in the
next generation of hams. As such he is a fervent supporter of bringing
more youth to our hobby. He dedicates space in CQ and Worldradio Online to
the achievements in ham radio by its youngest members through the "Kids
Korner" column in CQ written by teenager Brittany Decker,
KB1OGL. Worldradio OnLine features the longtime popular "Youth Column"
penned by 1987 Hamvention Radio Amateur of the Year, Carole Perry, WB2MGP.

In yet another youth oriented undertaking, since 1996, Dick and CQ have
been one of two key corporate underwriters -- the other being
Vertex-Standard / Yaesu -- of the "Amateur Radio Newsline Young Ham of the
Year Award." As a result, beginning in 1996 everyone selected to be a Young
Ham of the Year Award recipient has been offered the opportunity to attend
Spacecamp-Huntsville and take the course of his or her choice.

Last but by no means least, this years Technical Achievement Award winner
is Simon Brown, HB9DRV. Brown is being honored for his for the development
of Ham Radio Deluxe. Ham Radio Deluxe or H-R-D is a suite of free
Windows-based programs providing computer control for commonly used
transceivers and receivers. It also includes the mapping, satellite
tracking and the digital mode program called Digital Master 780.

Simon Brown was first licensed GD8IQM in February 1974. He became GD4ELI
in September 1975. He now resides in what he describes as the beauty of
the Swiss Alps, near Laax, Switzerland. After taking a break of 17 years
from amateur radio he became licensed as HB9DRV and his interest in
applying digital technology to amateur radio lead to the creation of Ham
Radio Deluxe.

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm .Bruce Tennant, K6PZW, in Los Angeles.

--

This years Hamvention Awards winners will be honored at Hamvention 2010
slated for the weekend of May 14th to the 16th at the Hara Arena in

**

MANES IN THE NEWS: FCC HAM RADIO ENFORCER TO ATTEND GREATER BALTIMORE
HAMBOREE

If you hear this before the weekend of March 27 & 28th then be aware that
the Greater Baltimore Hamboree and Computerfest will be held rain or shine,
at the Maryland State Fairgrounds. One of those speaking will FCC chief
ham radio rules enforcer, Laura Smith. For more information go to
www.gbhc.org on the World-Wide-Web. (KB3JQQ)

**

BREAK 2

This is ham radio news for today's radio amateur. From the United States
of America, We are the Amateur Radio Newsline with links to the world from
our only official website at www.arnewsline.org and being relayed by the
volunteer services of the following radio amateur:

(5 sec pause here)

**

RESCUE RADIO: FCC ISSUES NPRM TO PERMIT HAM EMPLOYEES TO TAKE ART IN DRILLS

The FCC has issued a Notice of Proposed Rule Making to permit limited use
of hams in their employ to take part in emergency and disaster preparedness
drills. Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF, is in the newsroom with the details:

--

The FCC is proposing a limited amendment the amateur radio service
rules. This, with respect to operations during government-sponsored

Current rules provide for amateur radio use during emergencies. At the
same time, the rules -- specifically section 97.113 (a)(3) -- prohibits
communications in which the station licensee or control operator has a
pecuniary interest. This includes any communications on behalf of an
employer, whether direct or indirect. Translated it means that even if a
ham employee is off the clock he or she cannot take part in emergency
training exercises.

The FCC says that while there are some exceptions to this prohibition,
there is currently none that would permit amateur station control operators
who are employees of public safety agencies and other entities, such as
hospitals, to participate in drills and tests in preparation for emergency
situations. Nor may they transmit messages on behalf of their employers
during such drills and tests.

The FCC notes that public safety land mobile radio systems are the primary
means of radio-based communications for emergency responders. But it goes
on to add that experience has shown that amateur radio has played an
important role in preparation for, during, and in the aftermath of natural
and man-made emergencies and disasters.

The FCC says that amateur radio is often an essential element of emergency
preparedness and response. Because of this, many state and local
governments and public safety agencies incorporate amateur radio operators
and their communication capabilities into their emergency planning. In
this regard, some entities, such as hospitals, emergency operations
centers, and police, fire, and emergency medical service stations, have
emphasized the participation of their employees who are amateur station
operators in emergency and disaster drills and tests.

Based on what it terms as a public need, the FCC is proposing to amend
Section 97.113 of the Amateur Service rules to provide that, under certain
limited conditions, amateur radio operators may transmit messages during
emergency and disaster preparedness drills.

This, regardless of whether the operators are employees of government
entities participating in the drill. It also seeks comments on whether
certain other drills that are not sponsored by government agencies -- such
as those conducted by hospitals -- should be included in the proposed
exemption as well.

WP Docket No. 10-72 will carry a commentary cutoff date of 30 days after
publication its publication in the Federal Register. Reply comments will
be due no later than 45 days after publication in the Federal Register. As
we go to air those dates have not yet been announced.

In the Newsroom in Los Angeles, I'm Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF.

--

The full text of FCC W P Docket No. 10-72 can be read at
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...CC-10-45A1.pdf (FCC)

**

RESCUE RADIO: CHILIAN HAMS DRAW PRAISE FOR RESPONSE TO QUAKE

There has been high praise for the Radio Club of Chile and its members
following the recent earthquake and its aftershocks. At least
one television news report describes the Chilean radio amateurs as a group
of dedicated operators scattered across the country, proving to be an
information lifeline during recent events.

According to news reports, while telephones and the internet largely
failed, many of the radio operators had back-up power and were able to
provide vital lines of communication. These were picked up by National
Radio Chile and rebroadcast, giving status information of the various
affected areas. The report went further to say that claims that ham radio
is dying were put to rest as these operators provided some truly vital
communication links.

For its part, the Radio Club of Chile has expressed its thanks to the
world's radio amateurs for keeping emergency frequencies free during their
nation's time of need. (GB2RS)

**

RADIO LAW: CEPT TO MEET IN ISTANBUL

The International Amateur Radio Union Region 1 website reports that LZ1US
will represent ham radio interests at the annual European Conference of
Postal and Telecommunications Administrations or C-E-P-T Civil/Military
meeting of the Frequency Management Working Group. That gathering takes
place over the 30th and 31st of March. It will be followed by a meeting of
the CEPT WRC 12 Conference Preparatory Group Project Team C running from
April 6th to the 9th.

While there are no immediate matters to concern the amateur services during
the Civil/Military meeting the IARU believes that it is always a good
opportunity to have a presence. This, just in case matters arise that
could affect amateur radio.

But the second meeting could affect amateur radio interests. The Project
Team C meeting will discuss, among other things, WRC 12 Agenda Item 1 point
23. This is the International Amateur Radio Union proposal for a
secondary frequency ham radio allocation around 500 kHz. (GB2RS)

**

NAMES IN THE NEWS: VE4JS RETURNED TO MANATOBA SM OF RAC

Some names in the news. First a word of congratulations to Jan Schippers,
VE4JS, who was recently returned as Section Manager for Manitoba,
Canada. This, for a two year term of office that will begin on July 1,
2010. Schippers was unopposed eliminating the need for a balloted
election. (RAC)

**

HAMVENTION 2010: YOUTH FORUM ADDS PRIZE FOR ADULT ATTENDEES

Carole Perry, WB2MGP, reports that Icom has offered to donate a radio as a
prize for the adults attending her three hour extended Youth Forum at
Hamvention 2010. This, in addition to the gear it donates to reward the
young speakers taking part in the session.

According to WB2MGP, this is the first time the adults can have a chance
for a prize at the Youth Forum. She adds that Ray Novak, N9JA, of Icom
America has been just terrific in supporting the session through the
donation of prizes for the kids and now one for the adults as well.

This years Hamvention Youth Form will be on Saturday, May 15th, 9:15 a.m.
to 12:15 p.m.. The session will be held in Meeting Room 1 at the Hara
Arena in suburban Dayton, Ohio. (WB2MGP)

**

NAMES IN THE NEWS: THE YOUNG IN DXCC

And congratulations also to 8 year-old William Ferguson, KJ4EYZ. This
after formally being presented his DXCC certificate at a Virginia DX
Century Club meeting on March 16th.by the club's Vice President, Ron Young,
W8RJL.

Bill Moore, NC1L, is the ARRL's Awards Branch Manager. He says that
William's achievement makes him the youngest full member of the Virginia
DXCC, and one of the youngest members of the DX Century Club.

William is the son of Rich Ferguson,, N2XQM. His 10-year old sister
Carissa, KJ4EZA, already has 82 countries worked. (Southgate)

**

NAMES IN THE NEWS: KF4KWW REDESIGNS 2010 YHOTY NOMINATING FPRM

And a big thank-you to Dave Crawford, KF4KWW, who maintains the Dayton
Hamvention website. Dave recently offered to redesigned our 2010 YHOTY
nominating form. Thanks to his effort, the form in Microsoft Word is now a
download, fill in the blanks, and mail or e-mail back. Go to our website,
www.arnewsline.org -- scroll down to the words "2010 Young Ham Of The Year
Nominations Now Being Accepted," right click on the word "Here" and have a
look at Dave's creativity. Then print it out, fill it in and nominate a
worthy youngster in your area. (ARNewsline(tm))

**

BREAK 3

This is ham radio news for today's radio amateur. From the United States
of America, We are the Amateur Radio Newsline with links to the world from
our only official website at www.arnewsline.org and being relayed by the
volunteer services of the following radio amateur:

(5 sec pause here)

**

EMERGING TECHNOLOGY: NEW FORMAT OF HARD DRIVE STORAGE COMING IN 2011

Hard drives are about to undergo one of the biggest format shifts in 30
years. Amateur Radio Newslines Norm Seeley, KI7UP, has mo

--

By early 2011 all magnetic hard drives will use an advanced format that
changes how they go about saving the data people store on them. The move

According to Science On-Line, since the days of the original DOS operating
system, the space on a hard drive has been formatted into blocks 512 bytes
in size based on the floppy disks of that era. Each 512 byte sector has a
marker showing where it begins and an area dedicated to storing error
correction codes. In addition a tiny gap has to be left between each
sector.

While 512 bytes made sense hard drives were only a few megabytes in size,
its of less significance when drives can hold a terabyte or more of
data. As a result, in large drives this wasted space where data cannot be
stored can take up a significant proportion of the drive.

Drive makers say that moving to an advanced format of 4 kilobyte sectors
means about eight times less wasted space. This will allow drives to
devote twice as much space per block to error correction technology.

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Norm Seeley, KI7UP, in Scottsdale,
Arizona.

--

Through the International Disk Drive Equipment and Materials Association
all hard drive makers have committed to adopting the 4 Kilobyte advanced

**

HAM RADIO IN SPACE: AO-51 FM REPEATER TO BE DEDICATED TO SCOUT JAMBOREE

AMSAT North America will be supporting the Boy Scouts of America 100th
Anniversary Jamboree. This, by dedicating an AO-51 VHF UHF FM repeater in
space for the event.

From Friday April 16th, at 15:00 UTC until Sunday April 18th at 19:00 UTC,
an AO-51 repeater will be allocated for Jamboree use. The frequencies used
will be 145.880 MHz uplink, and 435.150 MHz downlink. The mode will be
narrowband FM and no tone access will be required.

All regular AO-51 users are requested to give priority to Jamboree stations
or QSO's with Jamboree stations.

AMSAT adds that it wishes the Scouts good luck operating via the AO-51
satellite for this milestone event and so do we. (AMSAT)

**

HAM HAPPENINGS: INTERNATIONAL LIGHTHOUSE AND LIGHTSHIP WEEKEND NOW PLANNING

A total of 100 registrations have been received so far at the website
collecting entries for the 2010 International Lighthouse and Lightship
weekend. The event is slated for the weekend of August 21st and the 22nd.

This will be the 11th annual outing of this event sponsored by Scotland's
Ayr Radio Group and its station GM0AYR. The registrations to date are from
19 countries with nearly half of them from Germany and Australia who always
strongly support this fun event. Other countries taking part include
Argentina, Belgium, Chile, Denmark and England to name only a few.

To register or check out the lighthouses already registered, visit the
official website at illw dot net on the World-Wide-Web (ILLW)

**

DX

In DX, two operations from Mauritius make the news this week. The first is
by DL6UAA and operating as 3B8MM beginning on April 4th, The duration of
his stay will be 3 weeks operating 160 through 10 meters mostly CW with
some SSB and digital possible. QSL via DL6UAA, either direct or via the
bureau.

And SP2JMB, will be active from Mauritius between April 7th through the
14th as 3B8SC/ His operation will be on all of thr High Frequency bands
operating C-W only. QSL via his home callsign.

The Mongolian Radio Sport Federation has opened a QSL Bureau. Its address
is MRSF QSL Bureau, PO Box 573, Ulaanbaatar 16092, Mongolia.

DL3OCH will be active from the Maldives as 8Q7QX through April 4th.
Operation will be mainly on
40 through 12 meters mostly on CW and possibly some RTTY and PSK31, QSL via
his home callsign.

Lastly, G0SGB will be active from Malta portable 9H3 between June 12th and
the 25th. He will also be active from Gozo through no specific dates for
this part of the operation has been announced. His activity will focus on
lighthouse activation's. QSL via his home callsign, direct only.

(Above from various DX news sources)

**

THAT FINAL ITEM: 600 METERS ALIVE DOWN UNDER

And finally this week, an old Very Low Frequency transmitter has come back
to life down-under thanks to the dedication of a group of ham radio
operators. Jim Meachen, ZL2BHF, has the rest of the story:

--

The General User Radio Licence for Amateur Radio Operators detailed in the
New Zealand Gazette of 18th February, and effective from the 1st of March,

This new allocation was great news to the Suburban Amateur Radio Club
Branch 86 NZART which is based at the Musick Memorial Radio Station at
Bucklands Beach in Auckland. Established in 1942 the Musick Point radio
station with the callsign ZLD was formerly a base for the New Zealand Post
Office aeronautical and maritime communications. Over the past decade or so
members of the Suburban Amateur Radio Club have worked tirelessly restoring
equipment associated with the 600 metre band to operating condition. I
asked Ian Walker ZL1BFB the Chairman of Suburban Club what the new
allocation would mean for the Club:

--

Actuality audio he Hear it by downloading this weeks MP3 audio file at
www.arnewsline.org

--

On Saturday 13th March the Suburban Amateur Radio Club held a special event
to commemorate the introduction of 600 metres to the NZ Amateur Radio

--

Actuality audio he Hear it by downloading this weeks MP3 audio file at
www.arnewsline.org

--

Since at this time not many New Zealand Amateurs have transmitting
capability on 600 metres a call back frequency to ZL1ZLD was established

--

Actuality audio he Hear it by downloading this weeks MP3 audio file at
www.arnewsline.org

--

Indeed, restoration work at the station has been a project over many years
and how rewarding it is for the Suburban Amateur Radio Club team to see the

You can find more information on the Suburban Amateur Radio Club and the
Music Memorial Radio Station ZL1ZLD under Northern Branches on the NZART
Web page.

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Jim Meachen, ZL2BHF.

--

You can find more details on the Suburban Amateur Radio Club and the Musick
Memorial Radio Station ZL1ZLD at

**

NEWSCAST CLOSE

With thanks to Alan Labs, AMSAT, the ARRL, the CGC Communicator, CQ
Magazine, the FCC, the Ohio Penn DX Bulletin, Radio Netherlands, Rain, the
RSGB, the Southgate News and Australia's W-I-A News, that's all from the
Amateur Radio Newsline(tm). Our e-mail address is
. More information is available at Amateur Radio
Newsline's(tm) only official website located at
www.arnewsline.org. You can
also write to us or support us at Amateur Radio Newsline(tm), 28197 Robin
Avenue, Santa Clarita California, 91350

Before we go, a reminder that the nominating period for the 2010 Amateur
Radio Newsline Young Ham of the Year Award is now open. Each year, we here
at the Amateur Radio Newsline in association with Vertex Standard
Corporation -- the makers of Yaesu brand ham radio gear -- and CQ Magazine
combine to honor a ham radio operator age 18 or younger for his or her
contributions to ham radio or to society itself through ham radio.

All nominations and materials required by the official rules must be
received by Amateur Radio Newsline no later than midnight on May
30th. Both "mail-in" and electronic submissions are being accepted this
year. Full rules and a downloadable nominating form are now on our website
at www.arnewsline.org. Just scroll down until you see "2010 Young Ham of
the Year Awards Now Being Accepted" and click on the word "here" to
download the directions and the form. You can also leave questions and
comments on the official Young Ham of the Year Award page on Facebook dot
com.

And less we forget, a speedy recovery to RAIN producer Hap Holly following
back surgery and to Newsline's own Don Wilbanks AE5DW, and his wife Dawn on
their recent weight loss surgery. We know that you join in wishing all
three the very best.

For now, with Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF, at the editors desk -- who is also
planning weight loss surgery, -- I'm Fred Vobbe, W8HDU, saying 73 and we
thank you for listening.

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) is Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.