Old May 4th 10, 05:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Weather Radio Recommendation needed

I am a Skywarn net control and net manager. I need a recommendation
for a weather radio that can function well in the environment of a
Amateur Radio Station. MY present unit, a First Alert / Sima 268,
gives of an obnoxious howl every time I key my fifty watt two meter
transceiver. Worse still it gives off more false alerts than it does
real ones. The false alerts do not coincide with transmissions from
my station so I do not suspect receiver overload.

What I would like to find would be a receiver that is field
programmable without separate software, that can be programmed for the
type of alert as well as the specific area, and that has an external
antenna input that is not wired in parallel with a built in antenna.

The biggest issue for me is the false alerts. When I'm doing the net
manager thing for Skywarn and the weather alarm goes off I have to
check that the warning makes it into the next periodic net
announcement by querying the Net control on the computer chat or
monitoring the net frequency at the appropriate time.

I also use the same unit as my families warning device. That is why I
want to be able to program the type of warning. I'm simply unwilling
to be woken up at two in the blessed AM for an amber alert.

Any real world experience based recommendations for a suitable model
would be appreciated.

--
Tom Horne, W3TDH