Old July 27th 10, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Some links to CW stuff

A bit of humor, a bit of seriousness...

The first and third items below were shamelessly lifted from the
eham.net CW forum (tnx KD4AL and WX7G). The other two are my own.

Enjoy!

1966 US Army Morse Code training film on how to send with a straight
key.On YouTube in two parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li8Hiwbc664&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNLla...1&feature=fvwp

If you liked the Army training film, you might also enjoy this:

Harry Shearer did a 2 hour tribute to Jean Shepherd, K2ORS, (SK) which
includes several great monologues he did on the radio.

The first hour is he

http://hearingvoices.com/news/2009/0...an-shepherd-1/

You can download the MP3 file at the link (right click, then "Save
Target As"), or listen to it online.

There's a great Army code school story that begins about 28 minutes
into the file. Shep and several high-speed radio operators/radar
technician buddies were mistakenly sent to basic Morse Code
instruction - which, as Shep puts it, was like training a brain
surgeon in how to put on a Band-Aid.

So the guinea pigs took over the experiment, so to speak.

"I COULD TEACH CODE TO A DOG!!!"

The second hour is he

http://hearingvoices.com/news/2009/0...an-shepherd-2/

Same deal. Shep was in the Army in WW2.

Why learn Morse Code? Here's yet another reason:

http://artofmanliness.com/category/manly-skills/page/4/

However, that shouldn't stop anyone. One of the best if not THE best
code ops I ever knew was Lou Moreau, W3WRE/WB6BBO, who edited the YL
column in QST for many years

Which reminded me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQk-imB1m2k

"Manly? Yes! But I like it too.."

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old July 27th 10, 10:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 19:21:25 EDT, N2EY wrote:

1966 US Army Morse Code training film on how to send with a straight
key.On YouTube in two parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li8Hiwbc664&NR=1

In the video, the instructor indicated the correct way, presumably for
speed and legibility, to write some of the letters. Does anyone have
the instructions for writing all of the letters, numbers and
punctuation? This info would be of interest to not only CW ops, but
those using with voice communications, especially in ARES/RACES.

DIck, AC7EL

Old July 28th 10, 11:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Jul 27, 5:01 am, Dick Grady AC7EL wrote:
Does anyone have
the instructions for writing all of the letters, numbers and
punctuation?

The old ARRL publication "Learning The Radiotelegraph Code" has it on
or about page 8. Only the letters and numbers, though.

----

The film shows all the letters except F, X and Z. Here's how to do
them:

F is just E without the bottom bar

X is the usual way: two diagonal strokes that cross

Z is made by starting at the upper left, going straight right, then
diagonally down and left, and finally straight right again. Pencil
never leaves paper.

73 de Jim, N2EY