Old August 6th 10, 08:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1721 - August 6 2010

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1721 - August 6 2010

Amateur Radio Newsline report number 1721 with a release date of
Friday, August 6 2010 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.

The following is a Q-S-T. Ham radio, Scouting and the ISS combine at
the 2010 Boy Scouts of America Jamboree. We take you to the scene.
Also, a major flare-up on the sun causes propagation changes on Earth
and the FCC's new national emergency radio system proposal draws a
negative response from those who will have to use it. Find out the
details on Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) report number 1721 coming your
way right now.

(Billboard Cart Here)

**

HAM RADIO IN SPACE: ISS TO SCOUTING JAMBOREE CONTACT SUCCESS

A very successful contact was made on Saturday, July 31st between six
Scouts at the 2010 National Boy Scout Jamboree and Astronaut Doug
Wheelock, KF5BOC on board the International Space Station. This years
Jamboree was held to celebrate the 100th birthday of Scouting in
America. Amateur Radio Newsline's Mark Abramowicz, NT3V, reports from
Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia:

--

K2BSA: "NA1SS, NA1SS. This is K2BSA, K-2 Boy Scouts of America."

NA1SS: "K2BSA, we've got you loud and clear aboard the International Space
Station. This is Col. Doug Wheelock and on behalf of my crew I wanted to
wish you all a great day down there and we're looking forward to talking to
you."

--

And that's how it started here on the K2BSA site on a pleasant Saturday
afternoon as youth staff member Andrew Koenig, KE5GDB, who is Amateur Radio

Fritzi, a 15-year-old life Scout from Devon, Pennsylvania, asked Wheelock
whether Scouting could have a positive effect on space exploration. The
answer: Scouting has the right stuff for the astronauts.

"Flying in space is much like Scouting," Wheelock says. "And much like a
lot of things in life that are difficult to accomplish with one person.
But, you need good team building skills and good leadership skills to be an
astronaut. The same skills that are key to be a good Scout."

Fritzi was impressed: "They're in space," Fritzi says. "They're in zero
gravity and we're down here on Earth just sort of going through a normal
day."

Mark, a 12-year-old First Class Scout from Charlotte, N.C., says this was a
first for him.

"I've talked to one astronaut on Earth before but I've never talked to
someone in space and I think that's cool and I don't think I ever expected
to do that," Mark says.

Jonathan, a Star Scout from Reading, Pennsylvania, asked Wheelock whether
astronauts, like Scouts, are trained to improvise, especially when
equipment fails.

"That's the second most important thing that you learn in Scouting that you
need to have as an astronaut and that's the skill of problem solving,"
Wheelock responds.

"To be able to look at a problem because things are going to break if
you're working with machinery things are going to break and you have to use
what you can, what tools you have and what knowledge you have about that
system to fix it."

Jonathan says he was happy to be chosen to play a role in the event.

"No, I never expected this," he says. "On a scale of 1 to 10, with one
being the worst and 10 being the best, I'd give it a 10."

Connor, a 13-year-old Scout from Buchanan, Georgia, agreed: "It was
amazing," he says.

David, a 15-year-old life Scout from Fort McCoy, Wisconsin, echoed the
sentiment. "It was really cool talking to someone who was in space and it
was just an amazing experience," David says.

For Quinn, an Eagle Scout from Carrollton, Georgia, the experience will
stay with him. "Personally, I think it's amazing because I'm talking to
someone who's representing the pinnacle of humanity's hopes and dreams
because he is you know reaching out into the unknown," Quinn says. "He's
helping our species go out and explore and change the way we live."

And, Quinn confided, the contact with Wheelock helped cement in his mind,
the kind of profession he'd like to pursue.

"When I was told not to be nervous I said: Oh no, I'm not going to be
nervous because hopefully, one day, I'll be on the other end of the radio.
I'll be the person talking to Boy Scouts or other people back on Earth from
the space station or from space in general."

Wheelock clearly enjoyed the brief exchange and the Scouts say it's a
memory they'll cherish for a lifetime.

From the 100th anniversary celebration of the founding of the Boy Scouts
of America, here at the National Jamboree at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia,
I'm Mark Abramowicz, NT3V.

--

Amateur Radio Newsline has obtained exclusive rights to air the entire
contact between the Scouts at the Jamboree and Doug Wheelock on board the

**

PROPAGATION: SUN EMITS CME TOWARD EARTH

If you noticed some strange propagation or lack of it this past week, there
is a reason. During the early hours of August 1st a complex eruption on
the sun sent a coronal mass ejection or C-M-E toward Earth. NASA's Solar
Dynamics Observatory recorded a complex global disturbance on the
Earth-facing side of the sun. Most of the sun's northern hemisphere was
involved in the event, which included a long-duration class C 3 solar flare
and a massive filament eruption. As a result of these blasts, the coronal
mass ejection was sent out into space with Earth as one of its
targets. This means that high latitude geomagnetic storms and auroras were
possible when the cloud arrived at our planet. More information is on-line
at spaceweather.com. (VHF Reflector, Spaceweather, others)

**

RADIO INTRIGUE: LEBANON REPORTEDLY ARRESTS GERMAN HAM

Lebanese army intelligence has reportedly arrested a German engineer and
amateur radio operator in eastern Lebanon on suspicion of spying for
Israel. This, according to several on-line media reports on Tuesday,
August 3rd.

The Nahar Daily said that the army raided the "Liban Light" cheese factory
in the town of Talya and arrested an individual named Manfred Peter H. He
was identified in several reports as the engineer in charge of maintenance
of the factory's machines. The reports says that the army is questioning
the 58 year old over his use of radio transmitters.

According to several other postings the actual identity of the person
reportedly detained may be Manfred Peter Haug DL6SN. Haug works at the
factory, has an OD5 guest license and government permission to operate in
Lebanon, but no source has yet confirmed if Manfred Peter H and DL6SM are
one in the same or if the person taken into custody is still being
detained. One source tells us that the ham in question has been released
but there has not been any second source confirmation of this, as we go to
air.

The German newspaper Spiegel Online has a story on this at
tinyurl.com/2whspw2. But beware that it a Google English automated
translation making it rather hard to understand. (Spiegel OnLine, Nahar
Daily, other sources)

**

RADIO LAW: FCC PROPOSES REALLOCATING 90 MHz OF MSS SPECTRUM TO TERRESTRIAL
BROADBAND

The Federal Communications Commission has begun the process required to
make additional spectrum available for new investment in mobile broadband
networks. This by exploring the reallocation of spectrum currently
designated to the Mobile Satellite Service in the 2 GHz band, the Big L-E-O
band and L-band.

In its news release the FCC says that such an allocation modification would
set the stage for more flexible uses of the band by terrestrial
services. As such, it also proposes to expand existing secondary market
policies and rules to address transactions involving the use of Mobile
Satellite Service bands for terrestrial services. This says the FCC would
create greater predictability in bands licensed for terrestrial mobile
broadband service. (FCC, CGC)

**

RESCUE RADIO: DUTCH HAMS SUPPORT ARMY E-MAIL EXERCISE

The Dutch Amateur Radio Emergency Service or DARES recently took part in an
emergency preparedness exercise known as Civil Challenge. This, in
collaboration with the Dutch Army.

From June 22nd to the 24th DARES task was to establish an e-mail link
between the locations of the Army in Vught and Budel with an additional LAN
network provided at Budel for the number of users there. To accomplish the
e-mail link, a Winlink system using existing, new or temporary RMS Packet
Gateway stations was used for this exercise. Six tactical email accounts,
1 in Vught and 5 in Budel were created to support the exercise.

DARES also took the opportunity to organise 3 Master Classes, in which the
operation and use of the VHF / UHF Winlink system was explained and
demonstrated to the participants. For DARES members it was also an
opportunity to test all their new TNC-X modems under simulated emergency
conditions. (IARU Region 1)

**

BREAK 1

From the United States of America, We are the Amateur Radio Newsline,
heard on bulletin stations around the world including the N7OD repeater of
the Lee DeForest Amateur Radio Club repeater serving Hemet, California.

(5 sec pause here)

**

RADIO LAW: 97.113 REVISION ON EMPLOYEE HAMS IN DRILLS TAKE EFFECT SEPTEMBER
3

The effective date that the need for waiver from the FCC to use employee
hams in government sponsored training exercises goes away is September
3rd. In the August 4th edition of the Federal Register, the FCC issued a
summary of the Report and Order on this matter. The revised rules take
effect 30 days after publication in the Federal Register making the
effective date September 3rd. ( ARRL, FCC)

**

RADIO LAW: LATEST FCC PROPOSAL FOR INTEROPERABLE DISASTER RADIO SYSTEM
DRAWS NEGATIVE REVIEWS FROM FIRST RESPONDERS

Another stumbling block for the FCC in the creation of a new, 700 MHz,
inter-operable emergency communications system has emerged to oppose the
FCC's latest plan. This, as emergency service providers and first
responders voice their opposition the latest proposal from the regulatory
agency. Amateur Radio Newsline's Frank Haas, KB4T, has the details:

--

Two years ago, the Federal Communications Commission tried to create a
nationwide wireless broadband network for police, firefighters and other

Now the agency is hoping to rework the plan, which relies on the use of a
slice of 700 MHz called the D Block. But many public safety officials say
the FCC is again taking the wrong approach and they are voicing strong the
opposition to the plan in the public media.

The latest idea from the FCC is to auction off the D Block to wireless
carriers and use the proceeds to help pay for a public safety network on a
separate slice of spectrum already set aside for first responder broadband
use. In terms of spectrum, the existing 700 MHz public safety bands are
adjacent to the D Block frequencies.

The FCC contends that the existing public safety block provides adequate
capacity for day-to-day emergency response operations. The agency adds that
in an emergency its latest proposal would give public safety users priority
access to the D Block and other spectrum from the digital transition while
fulfilling the Congressional mandate to insure public safety benefits from
the latest wireless technology.

But the FCC proposal has run into vehement resistance from public safety
agencies. They warn that their current spectrum allocations are not big
enough to meet their needs. They are also very cautious of relying on
commercial broadband providers, particularly in emergencies. As such, they
are calling on the government to give the D Block to them so they can
combine it with the adjacent band space to double the amount of spectrum
dedicated to public safety broadband operations.

But House Commerce Committee leaders are drafting legislation based on the
FCC plan. And they are being pushed along by the other large wireless
providers such as T-Mobile who are eager for more spectrum and in turn
support the FCC proposal.

But not so fast say some leaders in the first response community. Among
them is Charles Dowd who is the Deputy Chief in the Communications Division
of the New York City Police Department. Dowd has stated his opinion that
commercial networks are just not reliable enough for first responders who
deal with life and death matters.

And Richard Mirgon, the president of the Association of Public Safety
Communications Officials International, says that in a mass emergency,
commercial networks are often already overwhelmed.

With the dispute now heading to Congress, the current focus is on
funding. If Congress fails to approve the monies needed for the FCC's
plan, the proposal could be dead in the water before it ever sees the light
of day.

And for the foreseeable future, it appears as if ham radio operators and
only ham radio operators who will remain the singular emergency response
communicators capable of interfacing with every emergency response and
relief team. This through the simple expedient of assigning volunteers
with HT's and mobiles to shadow official response personnel and provide for
their inter-agency communications needs.

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Frank Haas, KB4T, reporting from Holly
Hill, Florida.

--

The deficiencies of the current first response and disaster relief radio
networks became apparent after the 911 attacks in New York and Washington

**

RADIO LAW: IARUMS TO CONCENTRATE ON CLEANING UP 40 METRES

The South African Radio Leagues deligate for the International Amateur
Radio Union Monitoring System, Fred Scheepers, ZS1FCS, is inviting all
radio amateurs and shortwave listeners to join a campaign. This, to remove
non amateur stations from the 40 meter amateur band.

Scheepers says that it requires many people to monitor the band from 7 to 7
point 200 MHz for intruders and document details such as the station ID,
the frequency and time. According to Scheepers, many intruder broadcast
stations will give their ID on the hour and half hour.

If you cannot understand the language the station is broadcasting you might
consider recording it as an mp3 or wave file and add it to your
report. Those reports go to the International Amateur Radio Union
Monitoring System coordinator in your nation. (SARL)

**

RADIO LAW: ITALY'S PTT TAKES ILLEGAL BROADCASTER OFF 20 METERS

A pirate broadcaster is no longer bothering ham radio operations on 20
meters. The IARU Region 1 website reports that the illegal daily AM
transmissions from Naples on 14.000 MHz have ended. According to DK2OM,
the Italian Department of Post and Telecommunications appears to have
located the source of the transmission and has shut it down. (IARU)

**

RADIO RECORDS: NEW DISTANCE RECORD FOR 10 GHz

The Radio Society of Great Britain reports that a new world distance record
on 10GHz has been established between the Cape Verde islands and southern
Portugal. At 10:46 UTC on July 10th the standing record was smashed by a
SSB QSO ranging 2696 kilometers during the Hyperatlantica 2010
DXpedition. The previous distance record on this band had been 2070
kilometers. The Hyperatlantica operators eclipsed that by some 626
additional kilometers. (GB2RS)

**

NAMES IN THE NEWS: AA7A APPOINTED TO DXAC

Some names in the news. First up is Ned Stearns, AA7A, of Scottsdale,
Arizona. He has been appointed to fill the Southwestern Division DX
Advisory Committee vacancy created with the passing of Vince Thompson, K5VT.

Stearns, who is an electrical engineer has 11-band DXCC and is possibly the
only person to have achieved this. A past ARRL Vice Director, Stearns has
first hand knowledge and experience from operations on many DX-peditions.

In the 1990's Stearns was a frequent co-host of Len Winkler. KB7LPW,
nationally syndicated talk show "Ham Radio and More." That show was
originated from the studios of KFNN radio in Phoenix, Arizona, and was
carried live on the Bloomberg Radio Network. (ARRL SW Division
Communicator, ARNewsline(tm))

**

NAMES IN THE NEWS: ARMAD FOUNDER KB9IBW RECEIVES ACTIVIST OF THE YEAR AWARD

And congratulations to Amateur Radio Military Appreciation Day founder
Emery McClendon, KB9IBW. This, on his being named recipient of the
"Activist of the Year" award from The Americans For Prosperity
Foundation. McClendon was presented the honor on July 23rd at the
Rightonline Conference in Las Vegas, Nevada in recognition of his
leadership in advancing economic freedom and liberty through the modern
media. (ARMAD, Southgate)

**

THE SOCIAL SCENE: DAYTON HAMVENTION ANNOUNCES 2010 THEME

The theme for the 2011 Dayton Hamvention will be two words that hold a lot
of meaning in the hobby: "Global Friendship." According to Michael
Kalter, W8CI, General Chairman for nest years event, the selection of these
two simple words as the theme emphasizes how the technology continues to
bond amateur radio operator's from all over the world. Hamvention 2011 is
scheduled for May 20th to the 22nd. More information is on-line at
hamvention.org or by e-mail to media (at) hamvention (dot) org.
(Hamvention®)

**

PUBLIC SERVICE: HAMS NEEDED TO SUPPORT USAF MARATHON

At least 20 more hams are needed to support United States Air Force
Marathon now slated for September 18th in Dayton Ohio. The race begins and
ends on then grounds of the National Museum of the United States Air Force
located on Wright-Patterson Air Force Base located only a few miles East
of downtown Dayton. If you are a ham living in the Dayton area or will be
in the area on the date of the race, you can volunteer on-line at
www.usafmarathon.com and the follow the link that says "Become a
Volunteer." Then Fill in the form, find the section Race-Day Opportunities
and mark the box "Amateur Radio Operator." Please be sure to enter your
call sign in the comment box. Questions and comments go by e-mail to Mike
Crawford at kc8gle (at) earthlink (dot) net. (KI4KWW)

**

BREAK 2

This is ham radio news for today's radio amateur. From the United States
of America, We are the Amateur Radio Newsline with links to the world from
our only official website at www.arnewsline.org and being relayed by the
volunteer services of the following radio amateur:

(5 sec pause here)

**

RADIO POLITICS: EGYPT FORMS NATIONAL HAM RADIO SOCIETY

The Egyptian Radio Amateurs Society for Development or ERASD has been
established as the new national official representative body for radio
amateurs in Egypt. According to the IARU Region One website, even though
amateur radio has been present in Egypt since the early 1920's, there was
no officially recognized society to represent radio amateurs in that nation
for nearly the past eight decades. Now, thanks to the earnest efforts by a
steering group composed of SU1GS, SU1SK, SU1AO, SU1HM and SU1SA, such a
body has been formed. More about it is on-line at www.qsl.net/eara (IARU)

**

HAM TECHNOLOGY: ROS DEVELOPMENT WILL CONTINUE

It appears that the author of the new amateur radio digital mode software
R-O-S has had a change of heart, and has reversed his earlier decision to
discontinue development work on the project.

According to the Radio Society of Great Britain's news service, the
software's author, Jose Alberto Nieto Ros, told GB2RS that he will be
implementing new modes and enhanced facilities. He says that the most
recent development is an auto reporting system linked into the PSK-Reporter
system

The latest version of R-O-S is available for download at
www.rosmodem.wordpress.com. Unfortunately, R-O-S still appears to be
illegal to transmit by United States hams, but rumors about that its
supporters may soon petition the FCC to legalize the mode which is growing
in popularity world-wide. (GB2RS, Southgate)

**

HAM RADIO NEAR SPACE: TWIN HAM BALLOONS TO LAUNCH AUGUST 7

A pair of high altitude balloon for Scouts carrying fast scan amateur
television repeaters and digital beacons were to be launched on Saturday,
August 7th. This, as part of the Scouts Space Jam Technology Merit Badge
Workshop. Both balloons were scheduled to be launched from DePauw
University flight range in from Rantoul, Illinois with the first one
lofting at 8 a.m. Central U-S time and the second a half hpur later at 8:30
a.m. On-line tracking of both flights will be available on-line at
tinyurl.com/2ed2u85. More information on Space Jam is on the web at
spacejamboree.com. ( N9QGS, QRZ.com)

**

ON THE AIR: 6 METER AM NET ESTABLISHED IN MICHIGAN

6 meter AM lives again. This with the announcement that stations in
Michigan, North-West Ohio and North-East Illinois are invited to check out
the Classic Radio Roundtable which starts every Sunday evening at 7:30
Central time on 50.4 MHz. The net control station is Gary Franklin, K8BKB,
who is located in the city of Kalamazoo, Michigan. Most stations are
running classic 1960's era vintage gear but all hams with any form of AM
capability are invited to tune in and take part. (W9DZ, VHF Reflector)

**

ON THE AIR: OMAN GIVES ITS HAMS 6 METER PRIVILEGES

Still with 6 meter news, the Radio Society of Great Britain reports via its
GB2RS news service that the Omani Telecommunications Regulatory Authority
has allocated 50 to 52 MHz to that nations amateur service. This, on a
secondary user basis. No other information is available as we go to
air. (GB2RS)

**

ON THE AIR: THE NETHERLANDS, SPECIAL EVENT STATION

On the air, PA0FAW will use the callsign PA10WSF through August 30th to
mark the World Statues Festival in Arnhem taking place on Aug 28th and
29th. Fred will be operating mainly CW and several digital modes. A
special QSL is available via PA0FAW, via bureau, direct or eQSL. More on
the festival itself is in cyberspace at www.worldstatues.nl. (Via e-mail)

**

ON THE AIR - AUSTRIA SPECIAL EVENT STATION

The Austrian station OE1XJA stroke 3 of the TELESCOUT club will be activate
through August 12th to celebrate "100 years of scouting in Austria. The
station will take to the air from the scout camp in Laxenburg near
Vienna. Operation will be on all bands except 160 meters using all
modes. QSLs via the O E bureau. More information on this event is on-line
at www.telescout.org. (QRZ-DX)

**

ON THE AIR - UK SPECIAL EVENT STATION

And GB50RN will be operating August 6 to 8 from Coventry in the United
Kingdom. This to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Royal Naval Amateur
Radio Society. Operations will be world-wide on CW and SSB on 80 through
10 meters. Local area operations will take place on FM on 2 meters and 70
centimeters as well. (GB2RS)

**

DX

In DX, I0PNM, is operational portable IM0 from Isola San Pietro Sardinia
using SSB and RTTY on 20 through 10 meters through August 22nd. He also
plans to activate the lighthouse at Capo Sandalo. QSL as directed on the
air.

OZ5DL has been heard as OX3DL on from Greenland operating holiday style.
His preferred frequency is 14.018 MHz. QSL via OV5A, either direct or via
bureau.

DB5MH is reported on from Disko Island operating QRP with an FT-817 and
groundplane antenna. Listen out for him on or near 14.310 MHz every day
around 0000 UTC. QSL via DJ9KH.

JT1CS who is the secretary of the Mongolian Radio Sport Federation reports
that JT1NOC does not have a valid license. He did not renew his old
license so his current operation is assumed to be illegal.

Lastly, VE2XB is currently in the mid-East traveling through Israel. He
will be there four weeks and will operate portable 4X using Morse and SSB
on all bands including 6 meters. QSL direct to VE2XB.

(Above from various DX news sources)

**

THAT FINAL ITEM: HAM RADIO AND THE BEST SCOUTING JAMBOREE EVER

And finally this week, thousands were exposed to amateur radio thanks to
the efforts of the K2BSA staff during the 2010 National Boy Scout Jamboree
recognizing the 100th birthday of Scouting in America. Amateur Newsline's
Mark Abramowicz, NT3V, is on the K2BSA staff and has the wrap-up:

--

Its now official. The K2BSA staff has wrapped operations at the 2010 Boy
Scout Jamboree at Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia.

In all, more than 5,000 people toured the K2BSA demonstration station a
feat that rivaled most of the exhibits and displays at the jamboree.

Brian Mileshosky, N5ZGT, was the K2BSA station coordinator. He says the
operation met all of his expectations.

"We had approximately 13 percent of the total jamboree population which was
about 43,000 and a half people here at the jamboree," Mileshosky
says. "Thirteen percent of that population came through our exhibit and
was exposed to ham radio, got to touch and feel radios get on the air
themselves meet people on the other side of the country and the world and
learn about a fascinating hobby and service."

He offers high praise, too, to those amateurs who found K2BSA on the HF
bands and offered to speak with Scouts who were visiting the station and
many of whom were working on Radio merit badge.

"What was very fascinating is about three out of every five contacts were
from Scouts present or past - remarking on their time in Scouting or the
fact that they have a relative or friend who is here at the jamboree or
that they got Eagle Scout or that they still regret not getting Eagle Scout
when they were a youth," Mileshosky says. "Especially for the boys that
we put on the air, that made their time on the airways much more
comfortable because they had an instant connection with everybody they were
talking to."

Although the statistics were being finalized as we leave the jamboree, here
are some of the impressive numbers:

More than 200 Scouts earned the Radio Merit Badge.

More than 130 people most of them Scouts passed their Technician license
exams and many of themm sat through the one-day classes to earn their
license. And those were packed.

And, even the garrison commander of Fort A.P. Hill, Maj. John Haefner took
his Tech test and on the finall day of the jamboree passed his
General. So, the major got promoted to General in a short span of time.

Congratulations to all who came through K2BSA and to our new licensees.
Hope youâ€(tm)ll be getting on the air soon.

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Mark Abramowicz, NT3V, reporting from
the National Boy Scout Jamboree in Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia.

--

Don't forget to check out an Amateur Radio Newsline Exclusive, the audio of
the International Space Station contact with K2BSA during the

**

NEWSCAST CLOSE

With thanks to Alan Labs, AMSAT, the ARRL, the CGC Communicator, CQ
Magazine, the FCC, the Ohio Penn DX Bulletin, Radio Netherlands, Rain, the
RSGB, the Southgate News and Australia's WIA News, that's all from the
Amateur Radio Newsline(tm). Our e-mail address is
. More information is available at Amateur Radio
Newsline's(tm) only official website located at
www.arnewsline.org. You can
also write to us or support us at Amateur Radio Newsline(tm), 28197 Robin
Avenue, Santa Clarita, California, 91350

For now, I'm Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF, saying 73 and we thank you for
listening.

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) is Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.