Old October 9th 10, 03:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Can a repeater be partially keyed on?

On 10/8/2010 12:30 PM, Dick Grady AC7EL wrote:

So your explanation makes sense.

Dick AC7EL

Oh, someone else mentioned splatter... The test for that should show
this too (put it on a scope) NOTE that rapid switching of the
transmitter on and off may well cause excessive bandwith transmission as
well so it should be worked on if that is the problem (The equivalent of
key clicks)
--
Nothing adds Excitement like something that is none of your business.

Old October 9th 10, 03:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 10/8/2010 3:19 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:

Otherwise, I've learned one thing after many years in Ham Radio: Most
people will not give a critical report, regardless of how bad a signal
sounds!

Fred
K4DII

One of the things that almost always makes me smile is when I'm
listening to a repeater and some ham says "Your are full scale on the
S-meter here"

Uh.. Sir.. You are reading not the ham you are talking to (Whom you can
not even hear) you are reading the REPEATER He is talking to.... And of
course it is full scale.

Would be nice to have a repeater that gave a courtesy beep that went
something like this ..--- (not a very good signal) or ----. (Very good
signal)

--
Nothing adds Excitement like something that is none of your business.

Old October 9th 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 10:41:34 EDT, John Davis
wrote:

On 10/8/2010 3:19 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:

Otherwise, I've learned one thing after many years in Ham Radio: Most
people will not give a critical report, regardless of how bad a signal
sounds!

Fred
K4DII

One of the things that almost always makes me smile is when I'm
listening to a repeater and some ham says "Your are full scale on the
S-meter here"

Uh.. Sir.. You are reading not the ham you are talking to (Whom you can
not even hear) you are reading the REPEATER He is talking to.... And of
course it is full scale.

Would be nice to have a repeater that gave a courtesy beep that went
something like this ..--- (not a very good signal) or ----. (Very good
signal)

I made a repeater controller years ago where the courtesy beep was a
DTMF tone indicating signal strength. Of course, you needed a
touch-tone decoder to know what it meant, but it was very useful for
testing.
Pat

Old October 10th 10, 12:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 10/8/2010 12:30 PM, Dick Grady AC7EL wrote:

The hang time is zero, literally. A while ago, I asked the tech
committee why there was no hang time, and they said that to save money
they did not add a controller board.

In that case, he might have has his "reverse" switch on by accident.

Bill, W1AC

Old October 10th 10, 04:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:

[...]

What do you mean you needed a DTMF controller... I once was chatting
with the President of a repeater club.. He mentioned they cut the tones
off quickly so folks could not ID the control tones.

He then sent a string of DTMF tones.. and using nothing more than my
Touch Tone (TM) Phone (Yes it was a genuine AT&T) and my ear.. I told
him what he sent.. No decoder needed save the one God put between my ears.

I do admit to doing a bit of singing though.

--
Nothing adds Excitement like something that is none of your business.