Old February 23rd 11, 09:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default Threat to 440 MHz Band

This message is from Dan Henderson, N1ND, Regulatory Information Manager
at the ARRL.

As you may have read, Rep. Peter King (R-NY) has introduced the
"Broadband for First Responders Act of 2011" and the bill has been
assigned HR 607 as its number. The full story about the Bill's
introduction can be found on the ARRL web at

http://www.arrl.org/news/spectrum-ma...ur-frequencies

As you will read, while the ARRL supports spectrum for the Public
Safety needs, we oppose HR 607 in its current form because of the
inclusion of the 420-440 MHz spectrum (most of the Amateur 70-cm UHF
allocation) as part of a spectrum swap.

At the request of ARRL President Kay Craigie, N3KN, we are asking ARRL
members to contact their local Representative asking them to oppose HR
607 in its current form. Members should be directed to
http://www.arrl.org/sample-letters for resources tools to assist them
in their letter writing. These include:

A sample letter opposing HR 607 in its current form
A link to the ARRL Webpage that gives the ARRL member the
contact information for their Members of Congress
A link to information sending their letters to our Washington
lobbyist to hand-deliver to Capitol Hill

A couple of key points to remember when discussing our opposition to HR
607:

We understand and support the principle that Public Safety and
First responders should have the D-Block frequencies.
Our opposition to the bill stems from the inclusion of the
420-440 MHZ Amateur allocation as part of the proposed "frequency
swap".

Time is of the essence on this request, as the bill is gathering steam
in Congress. So please make your membership contacts as soon as
possible. Finally, please include my address in what you
distribute to the ARRL membership (for our records here at HQ.)

Thanks for stepping up to the plate to assist with the direct threat to
our Amateur Radio spectrum. What you bring to the table helps us keep
this ship heading in the right direction. Please contact me if you
have any problems or questions with this request.

73

Dan Henderson, N1ND
Regulatory Information Manager
ARRL, the national association for Amateur Radio(tm)
860-594-0236

ARRL Nebraska Section
Section Manager: Arthur I Zygielbaum, K0AIZ

Old February 25th 11, 07:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.policy

In article ,
ARRL Members Only Web site wrote:
[...]

While it does not affect us directly as amateurs, It should also be noted
that the 450-470 Mhz segment, which is also included in the bill, is already
heavily used by commercial and public safety users.

This segment also includes GMRS and FRS services, which are used by many
users, amateurs and non-amateurs alike.

Bob Vaughan |

AF6RR | P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 | 1-650-469-3850
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --

Another threat to 440 Bill Powell Moderated 16 May 22nd 08 01:25 AM
The internet is more of a threat to HD/Am/Fm Scooter Shortwave 6 May 7th 08 01:49 PM
a threat to QRM by K4YZ K4YZ Policy 0 February 26th 07 02:40 PM
Video on the EMP threat Kilo Lani Shortwave 1 July 12th 06 06:26 PM
Taliban are among us-Immediate threat David Shortwave 0 April 24th 05 05:59 PM