Old June 2nd 11, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Open wire feed line vs coax.

About 6 months ago, I got the urge, after having moved, to
put the station back on the air. I ended up with a 102'
doublet antenna fed with home brew open wire line rather
than using traps or an off center feed with coax. The
results have been absolutely amazing.

I never thought I could sneak through a pile up to Russia
with just 100 watts.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"

Old June 2nd 11, 11:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Jeffrey Angus" wrote

About 6 months ago, I got the urge, after having moved, to
put the station back on the air. I ended up with a 102'
doublet antenna fed with home brew open wire line rather
than using traps or an off center feed with coax. The
results have been absolutely amazing.

I never thought I could sneak through a pile up to Russia
with just 100 watts.

Welcome to the club! What are you using to match the line to the radio?

Howard N7SO

Old June 3rd 11, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 6/2/2011 5:01 PM, Howard Lester wrote:
Welcome to the club! What are you using to match the line to the radio?

Howard N7SO

MFJ 970B Versa Tuner.

Part of the problem here is being up on the 2nd floor with a porch roof
in the way. It puts the ground about 25' from the radio. A properly
balanced feed line eliminates the need for a "real" ground.

Although, I had a few RF issues with the station until I tied ALL the
equipment together with a solid ground buss behind it.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"

Two coax as substitute for open line ve2pid Antenna 27 March 3rd 10 08:30 PM
Zo of two wire open line Owen Duffy Antenna 11 February 10th 08 09:11 PM
The Eton E1 Radio and the RF Junkie "SWLZ" 9:1 Shortwave Listener's Balun with "F" Connector for RG6 (75 Ohm) Coax Cable Feed-in-Line Output RHF Shortwave 3 September 10th 05 08:21 PM
OPEN WIRE LINE me Antenna 16 February 17th 05 07:40 PM
WTB: 2" spreaders for open wire line K9SQG Antenna 2 September 29th 03 02:30 AM