Old April 18th 14, 08:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default New clock accurate to within 1s every 300 million years

In article , Bill Horne
wrote:

On 4/4/2014 12:55 PM, KB6NU via rec.radio.info Admin wrote:
New clock accurate to within 1s every 300 million years

Of course, we all know that the importance of having precise "time" is
(pun intended) relative; but accurate time also gives us accurate
frequency measurement.

However, I'm drawing a blank when I try to figure out how to adjust the
transceiver I use so that I can work the automatic packet stations on
the low bands.

I have, of course, a crystal calibrator, and I tune in WWV and zero-beat
the calibrator, and sometimes I even remember to turn on the BFO for a
little extra precision.

But, when I'm trying to figure out where to set the rig so that I can
get through to an automatic packet station, I /never/ get a response.

So, the question, or probably several questions, is/are "How do I get
from the NBS clock to a reliable dial setting on my rig"?

Thanks for your time.

73,

Bill, W1AC

--
(Filter QRM for direct replies)

Some modern Radios use a 10 or 20 Mhz Master Osc. in the PhaseLocked
Loop... so what you can do, id use the 10 or 20 Mhz Master Clock output
from one of the GPS Receivers, that have that output, to replace the
Master Osc. Input in your radio.... Kenwood had an Option to do just
that in the TS-950 Radios, and it isn't that hard to HomeBrew up
something t do that.... Just Say'en.....

--
Bruce in Alaska add path before the @ for email