Old November 1st 14, 02:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [PD0AC] Wouxun KG-UV950PL - Quad Band 4/6/2/70

Post : Wouxun KG-UV950PL - Quad Band 4/6/2/70
Author : Hans
Tags : 4 meters, KG-UV950PL, Wouxun
Categories : Amateur Radio, HAM Gear, HAM Radio

Interesting news that Tim G4VXE picked is that both Wouxun and TYT will be
offering a version of their quad-band mobiles which will include 70MHz (
https://hamgear.files.wordpress.com/...50pl.jpg&h=767

Â*

Add a comment to this post:
http://hamgear.wordpress.com/2014/11...band-46270/#re
spond

[...]

Old November 2nd 14, 02:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sat, 1 Nov 2014 10:38:28 EDT,
(PD0AC via
rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin) wrote:

Interesting news that Tim G4VXE picked is that both Wouxun and TYT will be
offering a version of their quad-band mobiles which will include 70MHz (
https://hamgear.files.wordpress.com/...50pl.jpg&h=767

How long will it be until those radios start to show up in the US?
Because they do not comply with FCC specs, importing them into the US
even for individual use has a nasty name - "smuggling".

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Old November 2nd 14, 02:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In rec.radio.amateur.equipment Phil Kane wrote:
On Sat, 1 Nov 2014 10:38:28 EDT,
(PD0AC via
rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin) wrote:

Interesting news that Tim G4VXE picked is that both Wouxun and TYT will be
offering a version of their quad-band mobiles which will include 70MHz (
https://hamgear.files.wordpress.com/...50pl.jpg&h=767

How long will it be until those radios start to show up in the US?
Because they do not comply with FCC specs, importing them into the US
even for individual use has a nasty name - "smuggling".

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

They will probably show up like all the other radios show up; with
a jumper/resistor/something that doesn't let it transmit on frequencies
not allowed in the US.

--
Jim Pennino

Old November 2nd 14, 03:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
Interesting news that Tim G4VXE picked is that both Wouxun and TYT will be
offering a version of their quad-band mobiles which will include 70MHz (
https://hamgear.files.wordpress.com/...50pl.jpg&h=767

How long will it be until those radios start to show up in the US?
Because they do not comply with FCC specs, importing them into the US
even for individual use has a nasty name - "smuggling".

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

I have always been puzzled at the laws of the FCC and ham radio. I know I
can put together anything for a transmitter that stays within the part 97
for the transmitted signal. I can convert anything and put it on the ham
bands. Say I order from China any of the comercial rigs such as that quad
band that has the 70 MHz band in it would that make me a 'smuggler' if I
only used it in the ham bands ? Are there any real specs from the FCC
for comercal ham transmitters ? Maybe the harmonics and bandwidth ?

---

Old November 3rd 14, 07:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 10:43:29 EST, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Say I order from China any of the comercial rigs such as that quad
band that has the 70 MHz band in it would that make me a 'smuggler' if I
only used it in the ham bands ? Are there any real specs from the FCC
for comercal ham transmitters ? Maybe the harmonics and bandwidth ?

Section 302a(b) of the Communications Act (Title 47, U.S. Code) says:
"No person shall manufacture, import, sell, offer for sale, or ship
devices or home electronic equipment and systems, or use devices,
which fail to comply with regulations promulgated pursuant to this
section."

70 MHz "amateur radio equipment" does not comply with FCC
certification or use regulations.

Anyone bringing such equipment into the US (through Customs) must
prove that it complies by filing an FCC Form 740. Even if the Customs
does not catch it and it gets carried or shipped in without
examination, it's not in the US legally and is subject to seizure and
forfeiture in accordance with Section 510 of the Act, besides making
one large of a headache for both legitimate users and FCC enforcement.

It's that plain -- I was one of the FCC's experts on seizure and
forfeiture of such equipment before I retired!

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Old November 3rd 14, 05:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Phil Kane" wrote in message

70 MHz "amateur radio equipment" does not comply with FCC
certification or use regulations.

Anyone bringing such equipment into the US (through Customs) must
prove that it complies by filing an FCC Form 740. Even if the Customs
does not catch it and it gets carried or shipped in without
examination, it's not in the US legally and is subject to seizure and
forfeiture in accordance with Section 510 of the Act, besides making
one large of a headache for both legitimate users and FCC enforcement.

It's that plain -- I was one of the FCC's experts on seizure and
forfeiture of such equipment before I retired!

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

I remember your name from the old FIDO net years ago. Thought you may be
the one and would be able to give an answer.

I think that clears it up for me then. If anything is inported to be legal
it must only transmitt in the ham bands if it is for hams ,or in the case of
some of the ones from China they can also transmitt outside the ham bands if
they are certified for the comercial or public service bands they transmit
on.

---