Old November 5th 14, 03:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx,uk.radio.amateur,free.uk.amateur-radio

Default [G0VQY] The Optibeam 11-5 HF beam is finally installed on the tower

Latest blog entries

The Optibeam 11-5 HF beam is finally installed on the tower

http://www.g0vqy.co.uk/g0vqy-s-blog/...d-on-the-tower

After nearly 5 weeks we have finally constructed the Optibeam 11-5 and
installed it on top of the 17 m Radio Structures tower. At the time of
writing this blog post, we haven't actually connected the radio to the
antenna yet, that will hopefully be coming in the next few days. But I know
a few people who have been following our progress had been waiting for news
on the installation. Come back soon for news on antenna testing and
brand-new videos of myself operating HF

Old November 6th 14, 02:35 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0VQY via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin View Post
Latest blog entries

The Optibeam 11-5 HF beam is finally installed on the tower

http://www.g0vqy.co.uk/g0vqy-s-blog/...d-on-the-tower

After nearly 5 weeks we have finally constructed the Optibeam 11-5 and
installed it on top of the 17 m Radio Structures tower. At the time of
writing this blog post, we haven't actually connected the radio to the
antenna yet, that will hopefully be coming in the next few days. But I know
a few people who have been following our progress had been waiting for news
on the installation. Come back soon for news on antenna testing and
brand-new videos of myself operating HF
It looks ok, but in the United States - you probably couldn't run more then one hundred watts in it.
The reason being that it is too close to the ground and you have too many neighbors.
I would suggest that you use one of the online modeling programs and do some site analysis as to exposure levels for your neighbors!
I don't think that you thought this out very well - else you would have put up at least another 10 meters of tower!
Your beam antenna is too close to the ground and too close to nearby objects.
Even if you get it to tune - which you did not do before you walked away from the job - I would predict that you are going to have high VSWR due to it being too close to the ground and too close to the house / roof and all the other houses in the neighborhood.
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...

[G0VQY] The Optibeam 11-5 HF beam is finally installed on the tower G0VQY via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin Dx 0 November 5th 14 03:53 AM
FS C4 Beam and 56 ft Tower in AZ Jerry Reed Swap 0 September 20th 05 02:04 PM
Tower and Beam pkg. for sale in AZ Jerry Reed Swap 0 September 16th 05 02:03 PM
OPTIBEAM Joe Parker Antenna 0 December 25th 04 06:15 PM
FS Rohn 25 tower & tri-bander beam David Heinsohn Swap 0 November 29th 03 05:25 PM