Old December 12th 15, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Default [KB6NU] Interesting stuff that crossed my computer monitor today

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Interesting stuff that crossed my computer monitor today

Here are several interesting things that crossed my computer monitor today:

Keysights new application note, The Internet of Things: Enabling
Technologies and Solutions for Design and Test, discusses the nature and
scale of internet-based objects. Internet of Things (IoT) and the
industrial internet are enabling greater automation and increasing
flexibility and efficiency in manufacturing processes. Keysight understands
the intricacies of IoT design and test, and provides engineers with
hardware and software test solutions for the many RF and high-speed digital
technologies used in IoT.
Baluns: What They Do And How They Do lt. This article, by Roy W. Lewallen,
W7EL, the developer behind EZ-NEC antenna-modeling software, discusses
voltage baluns, current baluns, and how theyre used in antenna systems.
Untangle the Mysteries of Transmission Lines. This article discusses the
different types of transmission lines that can be fabricated on PC boards,
including microstrip, stripline, and co-planar waveguide. Its not an
in-depth discussion, but it will give you an idea of the differences
between the various types.

Stripline is formed with a conductive strip surrounded on all sides by
dielectric material.

The post Interesting stuff that crossed my computer monitor today appeared
first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

Dollar stores provide rechargeable bargains

Ive written before about the bargains that you can find at dollar stores.
Bill, VA3HWA, writing on the Glowbugs Google group, mentions solar power
and battery deals that hes found at the dollar stores and IKEA:

For a low cost source of photocells and rechargeables I frequent the dollar
type stores.
Solar powered toys and gadgets, pathway marking lamps, etc., all have
otherÂ*uses (some disassembly required).
Most these days involve lower currents and smaller size batteries but a few
of the older lights (pick em up at yard sales) use two AA size batteries
usually rated 600 mAH or so and connected in series. Ive got a few of these
to convert the outdoor portion of my weather station to solar at some point
in time.
IKEA had solar lamps for a while (Sunnan) with an easily removable solar
cell and battery pack module containing four AA size batteries. Picked up
seven of these at under five bucks each on sale a while back. Lots of
possibilities there and the batteries alone would probably cost more than
the entire unit.Â*Im not sure if the Sunnan lamp is still available but IKEA
may have other solar product that could be useful.
For example,Â*they have a pack of four 2,000 mAH AA cells that sometimes can
be found on sale. Local / regional prices may vary but here regular price
hereÂ*is a bit under six dollars (Cdn) or so. Great backup for the THK 2 AT
Kenwood rig.

The post Dollar stores provide rechargeable bargains appeared first on
KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.