Old December 18th 15, 06:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [IW5EDI] 40 Meter Delta Loop

IW5EDI Simone - Ham-Radio

40 Meter Delta Loop

http://www.iw5edi.com/ham-radio/2007...ter-delta-loop

Construction: I made and put this antenna up the Friday afternoon before
the ARRL RTTY Roundup (1999)! It took me about 3 hours to make and install
on the tower. Most of that time seem to be used untangling the wire..hi hi
I made the antenna 142 feet long. Use tiewraps at each of the three points
to form a small loop at each end so that A 3/16 rope could be used to
support the antenna. I used a center insulator (Budwig HQ-1) that I had
left over from an old dipole. The feed point was 12 from the bottom of one
leg.

This antenna requires a matching element of feedline made out RG-59 (75ohm)
coax. The formula or the length is a 1/4 wavelength at the operating
frequency times the velocity of the RG-59. It is pretty easy to figure, a
1/4 wavelength at 7.050 (234/7.050) = 33.19 times 66 percent equal 21.9. I
had RG-59 with the polyprolene dialectric therefore the length turned out
to be approximately 22 Feet.

..

Since I had the Budwig HQ-1 with the SO-239 moulded in the unit, I put
PL-259s on each end of the matching coax and then used a barrow splicer to
put the regular 52ohm coax feedline to the antenna.. A little weather
proofing and this setup has worked well for many years.
My mounting point was only about 45 above ground, which is insulated from
the tower by a 3 fiberglass pole. The legs of the antenna were secured East
and West, and North and South is broadside to the antenna. Because the
mounting points was so low, the bottome portion of the antenna was sloped
out several feets to help provide space under the antennea for cutting
grass.. hi
Results: Actually, the antenna played better than anything that I have had
previously. The SWR was flat from 7.0 to 7.1 only rising to 1.5 at 7.3.
This was perfect because I wanted it to play RTTY and CW I did find that
the antenna appeared to be less effective broadside, to the North. Stations
in New England were difficult to get, however, the Europeans and Western
USA were answering on the first call. Also, a few days after the contest, I
talked to K4HXW/Mr Tucker, he indicated that he thought the antenna was
playing much better than the inverted Vee that I had previously.
Added 31 Aug 2002 Update: I put this antenna back up recently and found
that the correct length was a little off on my original antenna. According
to ON4UNs Low Band DXing book, the proper length for a delta loop should be
1.05% to 1.06% wavelength. I used 1.05% and the correct formula to
calculate this length in feet is to divide 982.8 by the frequency in Mega
Hertz (982.8/7.150=137.45). I also have changed where the antenna is feed
to horizontal by feeding the antenna in the middle of the bottom. This is
so that I could have better effectiveness in domestic contest. After
several days testing, the antenna seem to work well. Only time will tell hi
hi

Added 17 Oct 2011: Been living in Alabama since 2005 and installed the
Delta Loop with the apex at 65 and the bottom slightly kicked out a bit
(not more than 5 degrees). I also changed back to the feed point to 12 from
one of the bottom corners. I really have not been able to see any
difference in it performace based on changing the feedpoint. It has worked
marvelously both for DX and Domestic contacts. I truly think that it is the
best single wire antenna I have ever had on 40m.

I am probably going to put one up for 80m when the WX permits.

Article by KC4HW originally available at http://kc4hw.net/deltaloo.htm

A Delta Loop antenna... Dicks Jockey Antenna 1 March 24th 16 08:24 PM
Delta Loop Ideas Please John Antenna 12 January 2nd 07 11:41 PM
Dipole vs. Delta loop vs. Quad loop -pratical experience Jim Leder Antenna 9 February 22nd 05 11:37 PM
Phasing for Delta Loop [email protected] Antenna 1 September 18th 04 06:06 PM