Old January 3rd 16, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default [KB6NU] Wheres the 2016 Extra Class question pool?

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Wheres the 2016 Extra Class question pool?

As you probably know, the amateur radio exam question pools get updated
every four years. In 2014, the Technician Class question pool was updated.
Last year, the General Class question pool was updated, and this year, the
Extra Class question pool is to be updated.

Normally, the new question pool, which is slated to go into effect on July
1, is available by this time. Its important that the question pools be
released promptly, so thatÂ*those of us who write study guides have enough
time to come out with new versions that cover all of the material in the
new question pool. As of today, the new question pool has still not been
posted to the National ConferenceÂ*of Volunteer Examiners Coordinators
(NCVEC) website.

Im especially anxious to get hold of this question pool, because as Gordon
West, WB6NOA, reported on HamNation #228, there are more than 125 new
questions. This means that updating the Extra Class study guide is going to
be a lot of work, and the sooner I can get started on it, the better.

To be honest, I was a little miffed that WB6NOA seemed to have gotten an
advance copy of the question pool. When I enquired about this, I was told
by a member of the Question Pool Committee that he and Ward Silver, N0AX,
are advisors to the committee, and as such, would have seen drafts of new
question pool. I guess that WB6NOA assumed that the pool would be released
by the time his report aired.

At any rate, Im still waiting for the final version to be release.

On a side note, I was a little surprised—although I guess that I shouldnt
have been—that WB6NOA and N0AX are advisers to the committee. I had in the
past consideredÂ*volunteering to help out, but thought that because I
published my own set of study guides that perhaps that would disqualify me.
When I heard that the other authors were advisors, I also volunteered to
help out. The first question pool that Ill be able to help out with is the
2018 Technician Class question pool, but Im looking forward to it.

The post Wheres the 2016 Extra Class question pool? appeared first on
KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.