Old January 11th 16, 05:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default [KB6NU] KB6NU on the ICQ Podcast

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

KB6NU on the ICQ Podcast

In a recentÂ*episode of the ICQ PodcastÂ*(and I apologize because I forget
which episode, and I cant seem to find it just now), the commentators
discussed a flyer for a one-day Tech class being given by the Holland (MI)
ARC.Â*They seemed puzzled about how they could teach folks enough in a
single day to allow them to pass an amateur radio license examination.

Being a big proponent of the one-day Tech class, and because I happen to
know some guys in the Holland ARC, I thought Id rise to their defense. I
e-mailed all four of the commentators:

I was a bit surprised, and very interested, in your comments on the Holland
Amateur Radio Clubs one-day Technician classes. I also teach one-day Tech
classes here in Ann Arbor, MI, and Tom, K8TB, is a friend of mine. We both
use my No Nonsense Technician Class License Study Guide for the class.
I always point out that the description one-day class is a bit of a
misnomer. I always counsel students to read through the study guide, and
take some online practice tests, before coming to the class. The Holland
ARC informs their students, Please understand that this is a study hall
session, where you will memorize the test questions and the proper answer.

I went on to describe my rationale for teaching a one-day class and some of
my experiences with students whove taken the class. I finished with, Thats
it in a nutshell. Id be happy to answer any questions that you might have
about the one-day class format.
As a result of the e-mail exchange that followed, I was invited to appear
on the ICQ Podcast. My interview appears in episode 202 and begins about
the 42:00 mark.Â*It was a lot of fun to be part of their podcast, and
Martin, M1MRB/W9ICQ is as gracious in person as he is on the show.

The post KB6NU on the ICQ Podcast appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.