Old January 13th 16, 05:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [W2LJ] So what will it be?

W2LJ's Blog - QRP - Do More With Less.

So what will it be?

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

This Winter has been very, very odd in New Jersey. We've had the warmest
December on record, courtesy of the Super El Nino that's occupying the
Pacific Ocean. Christmas felt more like Easter around here. Now, the El
Nino and the Polar Vortices are doing battle with one another, each
treating the Jet Stream like some kind of atmospheric Ping-Pong ball. One
day it feels like Spring, and then 24 hours later we plunge into the single
digits. Then we start a cycle of warming up until the next blast of Arctic
and Siberian air takes hold of us.

So what will it be for FYBO 2016? The contest announcement was made
yesterday, and the rules for the 2016 edition can be found here -
http://www.azscqrpions.org/FYBO2016_Rules.htm

I wonder what the weather will be like on February 6th? Will I get a X1 or
X2 multiplier or will I get a X5 or X6 multiplier? It will be interesting
to find out! This could very well be a day where the high temperature for
the day occurs early in the morning, only to get colder, and colder as the
day progresses. I think it will be super important to keep a thermometer at
the operating position this year.

UPDATE:

I had a great lunchtime QRP session today. It's cloudy and cold with the
threat of snow showers, but I didn't let that deter me. As and added
incentive, last night I re-lubricated my Buddistick whip with WD40, as it
had been getting rough sliding when deploying and storing. Last time I did
that, I had a great session the next day. WD40 must be the much
maligned "antenna grease", because today I got the same result.

I had a nice little QSO on 20 Meters with Woody WZ4L in Smyrna, TN. Last
time we QSO'ed, we were both barely audible to each other. Today Wood was
589 into NJ using 3 Watts to a loop! I got a 559 in return. After hanging
it up with Woody, I worked Ted HI3TEJ on 17 Meters. Then, for the coup de
gras, I worked Mauro HC2IMP in Guayaquil, Ecuador on 15 Meters. 5 Watts
from NJ to Ecuador! Yes, I know he's in the Andes and yes, I know he
probably has a monster antenna which made this QSO possible - but 5 Watts
from here to there - wow, just wow!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!