Old February 6th 16, 06:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 30 Years Ago: 2m Base Antennas

This is from a web-site that is replaying Usenet, including
net.ham-radio, from 30 years ago (currently early 1986). The site is:

http://www.olduse.net

If you prefer to use your own newsreader, the site also supports an NNTP
connection at:

nntp.olduse.net:119

From net.ham-radio Tue Feb 2 14:54:03 2016
From: (Mike O'Dell)
Newsgroups: net.ham-radio
Subject: 2m Base Antennas
Date: Mon, 27-Jan-86 17:18:22 EST

Ok folks, time for another great survey. I am interested in comments
and recommendations for 2 meter base antennas, both omni-verticals
and beams, but my real interest is the verticals. Which one do you
use, how does it get out, which ones have you used and hated??

Here is your big chance to help someone buy the "right" antenna.

-Mike O'Dell

From net.ham-radio Tue Feb 2 14:54:06 2016
From:
(Alan Rovner)
Newsgroups: net.ham-radio
Subject: 2m Base Antennas - Response to Mike O'Dell
Date: Fri, 31-Jan-86 10:57:02 EST

Mike, I use a Hy Gain V2S 2m omni antenna and am very pleased with it.
It is the same design as the Ringo Ranger II and isopole, ie, 2 stacked
5/8 elements with decoupling sections. The Isopole uses those stupid
looking cones to do the decoupling while the Ringo and V2S use short
element sections. The thing has been outdoors for 4-5 years and shows
absolutely no signs of wear. All the hardware is still shiny clean.
Another good thing about the V2S is its swr. It's basically flat across
the entire 4 MHz band. It is about 7-8' tall and weighs just a few pounds.
I didn't mean this to sound like a commercial, but I really am pleased
with it's performance.

73,
Al Rovner, WA2TMP
Tektronix, Inc.