Old May 23rd 16, 05:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] Dayton 2016: N1SPY at the CWOps booth

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Dayton 2016: N1SPY at the CWOps booth

As usual, I had a blast at the Dayton Hamvention this year. I have lots of
stories to tell, and rather than write one big long post, Im going to write
a series of shorter stories. Heres one of themDan
OnÂ*of the most memorable experiences of Dayton 2016 happened on Saturday
morning, as I was manning the CWOps booth. About 11:30, Tommy, N1SPY,Â*and
his father walk up. I guessed that he was about 10, 12 years old, and he
said that he’d recently gotten his General Class license. After
congratulating him on that achievement, he told me that he plans to learn
Morse Code.
So, I give him he spiel about the CWOps club, and we talk a little bit
about about operating Morse Code. As we were discussing keys, and how I
think that its important toÂ*have a key and practice sending as well as
receiving, a woman came up the booth and asked meÂ*a question. I talked to
her for a couple minutes, then turn back to the N1SPY, who I noticed was
still standing there.
The father, Ivan, No2CW, says, “My son just recognized your call. He used
your study guides.” How cool is that? Then, he asks if I’ll sign his book
for him. So, I sign his book, shake his hand, and tell him thatif he ever
hears me on the air, to make sure to call me, especially since I collect
QSL cards from stations whose callsignsÂ*spell words! I certainly will be
listening for him.

The post Dayton 2016: N1SPY at the CWOps booth appeared first on KB6NUs Ham
Radio Blog.