Old June 5th 16, 07:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default [N6PSE] Bouvetso far away

n6pse

Bouvetso far away

https://n6pse.wordpress.com/2016/06/...t-so-far-away/

Â*

If you follow my Blog, you probably saw Nigel Jolly’s comment that he would
like to go to Bouvet. I too would like to go to Bouvet, along with Nigel
and his crew.

During our VP8STI/VP8SGI voyage, we had many conversations about going to
Bouvet. The VP8STI/VP8SGI DXpeditions would be great practice and
preparation for activating Bouvet.

We have a lot of useable equipment and many team members willing to make
the trip. So what’s the holdup then?Â* Why isn’t the Intrepid DX Group
announcing plans to activate Bouvet?

It all comes down to money. Lots of money is needed. For the VP8STI/VP8SGI
DXpeditions, our total budget was $425,000. We had hoped to raise $215,000
up front of the activation. As hard as we worked and as generous as the
Global DX Community was, we were only able to raise $161,000 before our
departure.

When we signed our charter contract, the Braveheart charter was $308,000.
We were to pay in the equivalent amount in New Zealand Dollars.

Fortunately for us, the exchange rate for the New Zealand Dollar (NZD)
against the USD declined dramatically and our charter ended up costing us
$259,000. Before this decline, our fundraising was going poorly and we had
serious discussions about cancelling our DXpedition. At one point, Nigel
even agreed to let us out of our contract without the required $54,000
penalty.

We hung in there and worked hard at our fundraising and due to the decline
in the NZD we were able to make it all work. Our efforts were nicely
rewarded through the OQRS system after the DXpedition and we are extremely
grateful for all of the support we received.

Now then, back to Bouvet. We have the charter cost for Bouvet including the
use of a helicopter. That cost is $500,000 or almost twice the cost of the
VP8STI/VP8SGI charter. We would also need to hire a helicopter pilot,
certified for heavy sling lifts and a helicopter mechanic. We would need to
pay them approximately $10,000 a month each for two months. This would
require us to bring two less radio operators.

Our total budget to activate Bouvet would be something close to $600,000.
We know from recent experience that we can raise $161,000 from the global
DX Community, however we know that we would have a significant shortfall
required to meet a budget approaching $600,000.

While we thoroughly enjoy leading DXpeditions to rare and remote places,
none of us can place our financial well-being in jeopardy by signing
contracts that we cannot financially support.

3Y5X DXpedition, December/January 1990. Five men operated for 16 days.

The Norwegian Polar Institute is reasonably willing to allow a DXpedition.
The permit process requires a comprehensive plan very similar to what we
provided to gain permission for South Sandwich and South Georgia. I have
spoken to many DXpeditioners who have activated Bouvet in the past. I’ve
explored ways to do it without the benefit of a helicopter and
unfortunately my findings are that a helicopter is essential.

So we have transportation available to us, we have a team and equipment. We
have the desire and the experience to pull it off. We lack only the
confidence to raise enough funds up front to be successful.

There may be several leaders or groups interested in activating Bouvet.
They must have a huge commitment to succeed. In return, the DX Community
must reward that commitment with sufficient up front financial support for
them to push forward through the many obstacles in order to achieve success.

Â*What do you think?

Â*

Â*